PDA

View Full Version : Week 2 Open Thread

sancho
09-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Is it too early to start this thread? Am I allowed?

Pac-12 week two schedule:

Sac State @ ASU

Weber St @ Utah

Oregon @ UVa

Portland St @ Cal

Central Ark @ CU

Hawaii @ OSU

Arizona @ UNLV

Wazzu @ USC

SJSU @ Stanford

Pretty bad week. Hawaii @ OSU is intriguing just to see if OSU rebounds and beats them by 40 like I expect them to. Oregon @ UVa is also mildly interesting just because it's always a little interesting to see Oregon destroy teams. Three more MWC games - looks like the Pac-12 will move to 8-0 vs that conference.

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Was UVA's preseason scrimmage against a 'Go Fast, Go Hard, (Fizzle Out!)' offense enough to prepare for Oregon? Prob not, the Ducks roll and win by 35.

I am interested to see WSU in the Coliseum. If Halliday can get the interceptions under control they might have a chance at the upset. Unless Silas Redd is playing, in which case I expect a beat down.

I liked what I saw of Copper's offense last night. But it seems they are trying to outdo Mike Leach in the 'F it, Go Deep!' category.

Jarid in Cedar
09-02-2013, 01:23 PM
It is never too early to start a thread :)

LA Ute
09-05-2013, 05:13 PM
This is kinda funny.

http://d3fsqtc6sy2z27.cloudfront.net/uploads/31d0d6e96c55e55dc82c3612258f2c50_large

OrangeUte
09-06-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm calling a UVA win over Oregon. No reason why, just calling it.

Applejack
09-06-2013, 07:55 AM
I'm calling a UVA win over Oregon. No reason why, just calling it.

No offense, but that is a terrible call.

DrumNFeather
09-06-2013, 08:19 AM
ASU blanks Sac St. 55-0.

sancho
09-06-2013, 08:36 AM
ASU blanks Sac St. 55-0.

I was there during commercials in the Broncos game. Kelly looked very good to me.

Seems that just about every Pac-12 team is better (or at least not worse) than last season. This is a tough time to be trying to establish something for ourselves. Funny because the conference was down for about a decade right before we joined.

Applejack
09-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I was there during commercials in the Broncos game. Kelly looked very good to me.

Seems that just about every Pac-12 team is better (or at least not worse) than last season. This is a tough time to be trying to establish something for ourselves. Funny because the conference was down for about a decade right before we joined.

Thinking about the current strength of the conference makes me even more pissed that we could have won the South Division IN OUR FIRST SEASON IN THE CONFERENCE, by beating Colorado at home. That one stings as much as any loss I can remember other than UK in the championship.

Jarid in Cedar
09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Thinking about the current strength of the conference makes me even more pissed that we could have one the South Division IN OUR FIRST SEASON IN THE CONFERENCE, by beating Colorado at home. That one stings as much as any loss I can remember other than UK in the championship.

Yep. I had a conversation with Chris Hill about that game, and we both agreed that it was the most demoralizing loss of recent history.( Even more than TCU in 2010)

sancho
09-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Yep. I had a conversation with Chris Hill about that game, and we both agreed that it was the most demoralizing loss of recent history.( Even more than TCU in 2010)

I was more demoralized by TCU in 2010. I really thought we were a good team that year, and TCU absolutely proved otherwise. Plus, the team was so wrecked by it they laid an egg in South Bend.

In 2011, I knew we weren't particularly good. Still stunk to lose to CU, but it didn't crush my opinion of the team in any way.

Jarid in Cedar
09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
I was more demoralized by TCU in 2010. I really thought we were a good team that year, and TCU absolutely proved otherwise. Plus, the team was so wrecked by it they laid an egg in South Bend.

In 2011, I knew we weren't particularly good. Still stunk to lose to CU, but it didn't crush my opinion of the team in any way.

Good points, but losing the chance to play in the inaugural PAC-12 CCG was a killer. Esp when you consider all of the variables that fell into place that last week that gave us that chance.

sancho
09-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Good points, but losing the chance to play in the inaugural PAC-12 CCG was a killer. Esp when you consider all of the variables that fell into place that last week that gave us that chance.

I agree, but we knew we didn't really deserve it at 4-5. Everyone knew USC was the best team in the south that year. And there was really no hope of actually competing in that CCG.

Jarid in Cedar
09-06-2013, 03:16 PM
With a win against CU, we would have been 5-4. And, no, we weren't competing with Oregon that year.

Utah
09-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I agree, but we knew we didn't really deserve it at 4-5. Everyone knew USC was the best team in the south that year. And there was really no hope of actually competing in that CCG.

I bet most recruits in So Cal and Texas could give two shots if we deserved to be there. All that mattered was going and we squandered a HUGE opportunity to say, "year one we made the CCG, with you we will be there again" instead of, "yeah, we've been pretty sucky in the PAC-12 and we need you."

Option 1 - we are an elite non-BCS team that continued that in the PAC-12.

Option 2 - non-BCS isn't as good and we proved that.

Perception is reality and not going to the CCG was killer for the program.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 08:48 AM
If FN Phat were here he would appreciate the mighty 'Cuse v. Northwestern game today. Cuse is struggling in the post Nassib era but are decent on defense. They have a gritty blue collar attitude and shouldn't be taken lightly. Should be an interesting gameday.

Not many high profile games but we have the Utes, Oregon v. Virginia, the cougs and Texas, Michigan Norte Dame, Georgia v. South Carolina, WVA v. Oklahoma and that's about it for major games. I want to see how the PAC 12 teams do, particularly OSU against Hawaii and also USC and Stanford who are both playing question mark teams.

sancho
09-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Not many high profile games but we have the Utes, Oregon v. Virginia, the cougs and Texas, Michigan Norte Dame, Georgia v. South Carolina, WVA v. Oklahoma and that's about it for major games. I want to see how the PAC 12 teams do, particularly OSU against Hawaii and also USC and Stanford who are both playing question mark teams.

Miami vs Florida. If the Canes win, it would be back to back ACC teams taking down SEC powerhouses.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Miami vs Florida. If the Canes win, it would be back to back ACC teams taking down SEC powerhouses.

Good point. Forgot about that game and I was talking about it yesterday with a UM coworker.

sancho
09-07-2013, 09:07 AM
College Game Day sign winner at Michigan:

"Play like your girlfriend's real today"

Applejack
09-07-2013, 11:16 AM
College Game Day sign winner at Michigan:

"Play like your girlfriend's real today"

LOL. I'm usually not a fan of signage, but that is pretty good.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Miami isn't looking too bad.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Oregon is boring to watch unless they are in a competitive game, which is hardly ever.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Cal in a foot race with...cough...Portland State.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-07-2013, 04:23 PM
The Aggies taking it to the Falcons! I like their chances for the conference championship this year.

Utah
09-07-2013, 04:28 PM
The Aggies taking it to the Falcons! I like their chances for the conference championship this year.

If they beat USC, they could be looking at a BCS bowl.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Cuse getting slaughtered.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 05:01 PM

Last week's game looking like a very good win for the Utes.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Byu game is a surprise.

Norte Dame Michigan is a great game / a perfect example of why big 10 football is fun to watch. Running and grit.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Oregon State is not looking too hot. I think we have a good chance of beating them.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 10:24 PM
In tomorrow's DesNews I wonder which of the college football games played today will get the slobbering headline? I have a guess....

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 10:31 PM
In tomorrow's DesNews I wonder which of the college football games played today will get the slobbering headline? I have a guess....

This made me laugh!

sancho
09-07-2013, 10:32 PM

BYU deserves the entire front page. Nobody ever thought this was going to be a win, let alone a blowout win. BYU themselves scheduled a bye after this week to regroup after the loss. Wins against WSU and AFA should take a backseat to this. Very disappointing result.

In related news, looks like a strong chance of head coach vacancies in two of the greatest programs in college football - USC and Texas.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 10:50 PM
USC is not looking too good tonight. I didn't see the BYU game, or listen to it (I try to avoid Wrubell at all costs) but I hear they were able to run all night on Texas. Either this is a really good win or Texas isn't very good. Time will tell, I guess. One thing's for sure - this win over Texas will become the subject of song and story and we'll be hearing about it for the next 30 years or so. :D

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

sancho
09-07-2013, 11:03 PM
USC is not looking too good tonight. I didn't see the BYU game, or listen to it (I try to avoid Wrubell at all costs) but I hear they were able to run all night on Texas. Either this is a really good win or Texas isn't very good. Time will tell, I guess. One thing's for sure - this win over Texas will become the subject of song and story and we'll be hearing about it for the next 30 years or so. :D

Didn't see it either, but Texas has a good offense and apparently couldn't do anything. BYU's defense is tough once again. It's amazing how much a great LB is worth to a defense.

I'm not sure how Utah will handle the defense. Seems like we need to run to have success, and I don't think we can run on them. We'll see. Kyle has consistently out coached Bronco over the years.

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Didn't see it either, but Texas has a good offense and apparently couldn't do anything. BYU's defense is tough once again. It's amazing how much a great LB is worth to a defense.

I'm not sure how Utah will handle the defense. Seems like we need to run to have success, and I don't think we can run on them. We'll see. Kyle has consistently out coached Bronco over the years.

We have the edge at QB but I'm not sure where else.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
09-07-2013, 11:18 PM

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Place kicker too.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

sancho
09-07-2013, 11:20 PM

Only in the air. Their QB has an obvious edge on the ground. We have the edge in coaching. They win RB, LB, WR. We win TE and DBs. It will come down to the lines. I think we need to be able to run, and Wilson needs time to pass. They will blitz early and often. Obviously, we force Hill to beat us with his arm.

But OSU is up first, and they present their own challenges. Mannion is the best passer we'll see for a long time, maybe until Kelley. If we win next week, we take a lot of momentum to Provo with us.

Texas should fire Mack Brown now. If they wait, he may end up at 9-4, and it will be harder to justify it then.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 11:36 PM
We now have meaningful game film on Taysom Hill and Byu's offense under Anae. Texas didn't have that.

Hill didn't do much damage in the air. We need to make them beat us in be air and slow down the run. Hill looked very good. Dangerous.

OrangeUte
09-07-2013, 11:37 PM
USC struggling mightily. Wow. Bye bye lane kiffin.

chrisrenrut
09-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Only in the air. Their QB has an obvious edge on the ground. . .

Umm, not so sure about the above quote, but agree with the rest.

CAR YDS AVG TD LG
T. Wilson 3 93 31.0 2 51

DrumNFeather
09-08-2013, 06:44 AM

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

Maybe we should wait a while before we anoint them as the '85 Bears.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Sullyute
09-08-2013, 06:54 AM
USC struggling mightily. Wow. Bye bye lane kiffin.

Yep. He is gone this year.

sancho
09-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Yep. He is gone this year.

Kiffin and Brown. USC and Texas. Big time openings this year. Who do they go for? If Gary Anderson goes 12-0, he may get an offer. I think they have to offer guys like Shaw and Hoke. Obviously Chris Peterson. I don't see any other Pac-12 coaches as candidates. Shaw would be a good one for USC. Charlie Strong. Al Golden. Spurrier. Dabo Swinney?

Utah
09-08-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't think we need to run on BYU to be successful. BYU will give you the 8 yard hitch every play. I will never get why Texas didn't run that pass play every play and committ a DE to Hill in the option play.

Stunning.

I still think Utah wins this game. BYU ran two offensive plays (read option and pass where Taysom pulls it and runs). That won't work against Whitt.

I'm glad BYU won the way they did. It will make beating them so much sweeter.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't think we need to run on BYU to be successful. BYU will give you the 8 yard hitch every play. I will never get why Texas didn't run that pass play every play and committ a DE to Hill in the option play.

Stunning.

I still think Utah wins this game. BYU ran two offensive plays (read option and pass where Taysom pulls it and runs). That won't work against Whitt.

Traditionally, Utah has been a run to loosen up the passing game. I don't think that has been working well of late. Last year we started games with too many 3 and outs and got behind on the score board. I think we need to come out passing to open up the run game. We just have too many weapons to not come out throwing.

jrj84105
09-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Stunning.

I agree. Also, a BYU team with an injured Williams is much more beatable. Nobody is acknowledging this, but if you watch his last play (he should have been on the sideline) he got bent over backwards with a lot of force and clearly injured his back. He collapsed as soon as he got off the field and was laying down and in visible pain for the remainder of the game. He'll be lucky if he didn't suffer some compression fractures. It was bad and unnecessary.

Hadrian
09-08-2013, 02:40 PM
This is horrible. I wonder if Travis Wilson knew him:

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_bruin_football/2013/9/8/4707958/tragedy-ucla-wr-nick-pasquale-killed-in-car-accident

U-Ute
09-09-2013, 12:08 PM

NorthwestUteFan
09-09-2013, 01:08 PM
This is horrible. I wonder if Travis Wilson knew him:

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_bruin_football/2013/9/8/4707958/tragedy-ucla-wr-nick-pasquale-killed-in-car-accident

I believe they were teammates in high school.

LA Ute
09-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Someone sent me this link to the Texas board's BYU game thread. It's pretty entertaining, especially the BYU fan responses. Some of the UT fan comments are classless.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/135348-BYU-gameday-experiences

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus