PDA

View Full Version : After school detention (moderator actions).

UtahDan
02-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Chad Sexington has been given a suspension for the following:

This board already has more traffic than UF.N. You assholes can go eat a bag of dicks

Feel free to go eat a giant bag of AIDS infested bloody dicks. Utefans.net was a great thing, and now it's dying. We've gone from one great site to four mediocre sites; Utefans.net, BlockU, HoyosRevenge, and Utahby5. Ridiculous. I'd like to ruin this place.

Posting or linking obscene or lewd material is against the Rules (http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.php?21-Utah-by-5-Message-Board-Rules). Accordingly, he has had his mouth washed out with soap and has been suspended for the next 60 days. We don't plan on posting these forever, but while we're all getting used to each other we want everyone to get a good sense of what our moderation sensibilities are.

-The Board of Trustees

Devildog
02-20-2013, 11:56 PM
I doubt his supension came as much of a surprise to him.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Wow, that was quick. The first one?

Moliere
02-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Webmonkey is the guy driving the '87 Hyundai Excel and still wanting the chicks to hang out with him. That worked as long as he was the only guy in the town. Now a guy driving a Mercedes pulls into town and Webmonkey and his toadies are throwing fits. Hopefully this site can coexist with UFnet just like CS and CB have coexisted over the years.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Webmonkey is the guy driving the '87 Hyundai Excel and still wanting the chicks to hang out with him. That worked as long as he was the only guy in the town. Now a guy driving a Mercedes pulls into town and Webmonkey and his toadies are throwing fits. Hopefully this site can coexist with UFnet just like CS and CB have coexisted over the years.

I know that we are all saying that we hope things can coexist, but it seems that there are a lot of people over here taking potshots at Webmonkey. There are some nice things about this board, but there are some things that make my eyes bleed as bad as they do at uf.n. I'm here for the content more than the format.

Plus, I think the only 'toadie' I've seen thus far is Chad. However, I've seen a lot of people lambasting Chris and it seems insecure. Why not just exist and not worry about what the other boards are doing?

UtahDan
02-21-2013, 07:03 AM

I don't have any reason to think Webmonkey had anything to do with this. From all I know he is a good guy who we would like to be friendly with. There is room for everyone.

Mormon Red Death
02-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I know that we are all saying that we hope things can coexist, but it seems that there are a lot of people over here taking potshots at Webmonkey. There are some nice things about this board, but there are some things that make my eyes bleed as bad as they do at uf.n. I'm here for the content more than the format.

Plus, I think the only 'toadie' I've seen thus far is Chad. However, I've seen a lot of people lambasting Chris and it seems insecure. Why not just exist and not worry about what the other boards are doing?

Agreed...

UtahDan
02-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Well you have to ban people who sign up from China and other places who try to link sporting goods, etc. on an almost daily basis, but other than that we have banned one other posted going by some variation of "Moose's Whistle" who has proved over many years in other communities that his sole objective is to be as disruptive as he can.

UtahDan
02-21-2013, 07:07 AM

I agree with this. The reasons this place got started had absolutely nothing to do with Utefans.net. I know the Board of Trustees would appreciate it if people would not go out of their way to create hard feelings with other boards.

Tokolosh
02-21-2013, 07:11 AM
I hope Chris doesn't get dragged into these discussions. He is a great Ute fan and regardless of ones feelings toward utefans.net he has contributed much to the fanbase.

NorthwestUteFan
02-21-2013, 07:14 AM

And hopefully the last. This is a civilized discussion community, and flaming out the way chad did should not be tolerated here any more than it would in a face to face convo in public, in our houses, at work, etc.

Now a guy driving a Mercedes pulls into town and Webmonkey and his toadies are throwing fits. Hopefully this site can coexist with UFnet just like CS and CB have coexisted over the years.

Webmonkey himself most likely doesn't care. Most of his moderators and top posters are also participating on this site. The two sites serve entirely different purposes with only a modest mount of overlap.

It is the football offseason right now and the discussion is slow. When the season starts and tailgating is again in full swing uf.n will be rocking. And don't pretend that infantile behavior doesn't bleed over from CB to CUF. Normally it would laughed off, but sometimes that type of behavior needs a little extra bit of help finding the exit.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 07:34 AM
Chris is a great guy who has operated uf.n at basically a break even point for over 12 years now. The challenge for him is he works full-time and manages a full personal life, and he would admit his board is on antiquated tech. The money and time invested to update the system there or migrate all of the old posts etc would be astounding. Trust me, I've talked to him many times about this.

I've also talked to him about creating what ub5 is setting out to do (which my understanding is a more moderated and civil discussion - which is a PC way of saying a more LDS friendly message board - or less Jessica Alba Thursdays.) Chris isn't LDS and never saw a need for it, he also knows the cost of trying to please all of the people all of the time.

Let me just reiterate he has been doing it for 12 years.

His laissez-faire approach to moderation there has it significant drawbacks, but he has always wanted to keep it a place open to everyone. If you've spent any time at other boards not related to Utah you'll realize actually how good thing are at uf.n. Moderators here are going to find that after the fun wears off that maintaining the high standard here is going to take some work.

My guess is that as time goes on and things gel, there will be another group who won't like the moderation and content policies here too, and the culture that will be created won't be right for everyone. It is inevitable and it is also okay.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I consider Chris a very good friend who has done an immense amount for access to Utah sports and discussions while only asking that people drop a few bucks when they can to keep the place going. No need to throw him under the bus now.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Agree Rocker, there is no need to name calling and pot shots being lobbed back and forth.

Now, un button that shirt a little farther....you are coming off a little too stuffy for my taste this morning.

Mormon Red Death
02-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Chris is a great guy who has operated uf.n at basically a break even point for over 12 years now. The challenge for him is he works full-time and manages a full personal life, and he would admit his board is on antiquated tech. The money and time invested to update the system there or migrate all of the old posts etc would be astounding. Trust me, I've talked to him many times about this.

I've also talked to him about creating what ub5 is setting out to do (which my understanding is a more moderated and civil discussion - which is a PC way of saying a more LDS friendly message board - or less Jessica Alba Thursdays.) Chris isn't LDS and never saw a need for it, he also knows the cost of trying to please all of the people all of the time.

His laissez-faire approach to moderation there has it significant drawbacks, but he has always wanted to keep it a place open to everyone. If you've spent any time at other boards not related to Utah you'll realize actually how good thing are at uf.n. Moderators here are going to find that after the fun wears off that maintaining the high standard here is going to take some work.

My guess is that as time goes on and things gel, there will be another group who won't like the moderation and content policies here too, and the culture that will be created won't be right for everyone. It is inevitable and it is also okay.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I consider Chris a very good friend who has done an immense amount for access to Utah sports and discussions while only asking that people drop a few bucks when they can to keep the place going. No need to throw him under the bus now.

I agree that Webmonkey has done a ton for Utah Fans. I have loved utefans and still go there at least once a day. This board is not an LDS friendly Utefans. This board is a place where all Utah fans come to talk and have more detailed discussions that you wont get other places. If people want to have Jessica Alba Thursdays go ahead (just put it in its own thread).

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Now, un button that shirt a little farther....you are coming off a little too stuffy for my taste this morning.

If my history has proven nothing else, it is that I am an extremely serious-minded individual who allows himself to relax for 30 minutes each Christmas Eve, whether I need it or not.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 07:49 AM
If my history has proven nothing else, it is that I am an extremely serious-minded individual who allows himself to relax for 30 minutes each Christmas Eve, whether I need it or not.

Now my interest is sufficiently piqued.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 07:55 AM
If people want to have Jessica Alba Thursdays go ahead (just put it in its own thread).

As long as those Jessica Alba photos aren't lewd per the rules, of course. I think there are three or four of said pictures out there. :p

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 08:01 AM
As long as those Jessica Alba photos aren't lewd per the rules, of course. I think there are three or four of said pictures out there. :p

You make me sick Rocker, take your lewdness elsewhere! Alba is someone's daughter......

Moliere
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
You've always been a big tent guy.

Mormon Red Death
02-21-2013, 08:05 AM

lewd would be naked in this case.

UtahDan

This will have to evolve, but I think there needs to be a balance and of course not everyone will appreciate the balance. My aspiration is that we can talk about anything and even be critical. But there is a right and wrong way to do it. I have been guilty of doing it the wrong way in the not too distant past. I am an exmormon, heck I co-founded a podcast that covers a lot of exmo topics. But I really want this to be a place we can talk about issues respectfully. Some of that discussion will not be for everyone, some believers will simply not want to be part of it. But I don't want to say anything that I would be embarrassed for a believer sitting in my office with me right now to hear. I think a good rule is to ask whether you would say it in person to someone you liked. That is a long winded way of saying that if we set a respectful tone, I think most if not all topics will still be on the table. If I can do it, anyone can.

IdahoUteTroutHead
Go big or don't go......tents are fun.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 08:07 AM

Is there a "naked" category in the works?

UtahDan
02-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Is there a "naked" category in the works?

Yes, it's going to be called "Utestar's Closet."

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM
We all need a reason to live, to hang onto each day we are given......this new category will be mine.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Actually brings up an interesting point. Nothing brought me more joy than to be on a sports message board one time (vbulletin style) scrolling through the thread which was occasionally laced with pics of girls in bikinis to have my wife and 5yo daughter walk up behind me. I was bumbling around like a 6th grader being caught by his mom.

I don't care personally if that is your bag, but it would be nice to have a policy that those images get linked out to vs embedded in a thread. Jessica Alba photos probably wouldn't be appropriate in most work places. Mine however it is encouraged.

Mormon Red Death
02-21-2013, 08:26 AM
Actually brings up an interesting point. Nothing brought me more joy than to be on a sports message board one time (vbulletin style) scrolling through the thread which was occasionally laced with pics of girls in bikinis to have my wife and 5yo daughter walk up behind me. I was bumbling around like a 6th grader being caught by his mom.

I don't care personally if that is your bag, but it would be nice to have a policy that those images get linked out to vs embedded in a thread. Jessica Alba photos probably wouldn't be appropriate in most work places. Mine however it is encouraged.

as long as its in its own thread where people dont have to see it scroll by then I don't see any problems.

UtahDan
02-21-2013, 08:37 AM
as long as its in its own thread where people dont have to see it scroll by then I don't see any problems.

Hopefully this will not be something we will have to think about.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 09:10 AM

In an ideal world that will be the case. I've been promised by some very powerful people that ub5 will always be an ideal world. To a more perfect tomorrow!

U-Ute
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
This feels less a coordinated effort but rather someone whose virtual ego is getting derezzed.

UBlender
02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
The strange thing about all of this is that, though I don't post often anymore, I still browse Utefans daily and I can't recall having seen Chad post there much for quite some time. It seems odd that he would be so bothered by the beginning of this board when he hasn't been all that involved on that one lately.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Blender, are you a detective?

UBlender
02-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I am a psychic detective. If you don't like it stick a (s)fork in it.

SoCalPat
02-21-2013, 10:50 AM

The moment the mods here adopt the UF.N "approach" you mention is the day this board goes down the tubes as well.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
The moment the mods here adopt the UF.N "approach" you mention is the day this board goes down the tubes as well.

Agreed, but you must admit Pat, your often caustic and condescending approach on uf.n did its share to make the place unpleasant. Bless your heart.

I say this because (I think) we have some mutual respect for one another. I hope the more friendly and informative Pat chooses to participate over here.

Diehard Ute
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Agreed, but you must admit Pat, your often caustic and condescending approach on uf.n did its share to make the place unpleasant. Bless your heart.

I say this because (I think) we have some mutual respect for one another. I hope the more friendly and informative Pat chooses to participate over here.

I don't really think the lack of moderation was really the issue, it's more the lack of organization

If you aren't able to just have UFN up constantly there's a good chance you'll miss the sports content while wading through the other content. For some people that's what they want, for me, it's not.

I love that I can scan a topic here and keep following the sports posts while not wading through pages of inside jokes and gifs or videos.

I think some people are trying to make more of a new option than should be made.

LA Ute
02-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I agree with this. The reasons this place got started had absolutely nothing to do with Utefans.net. I know the Board of Trustees would appreciate it if people would not go out of their way to create hard feelings with other boards.

You are absolutely right. Chris is a friend of mine and I'd be horrified if that happened. He's kept that board going for years and has provided tons of enjoyment to a great many people. I'm a Board member here and also a donor to UF.net -- and I plan to continue doing that.

This board was not conceived as the anti-UteFans board. We were just trying to fill an unmet need that no other board seemed to be addressing. I can't speak for the entire Board, but I've been surprised by the strength of the response. We were apparently right about the unmet need but underestimated the extent of that need.

Jarid in Cedar
02-21-2013, 09:07 PM
I want to address a few things here. Chad was not placed in the cooler just because of the profanity in that post. It was done more because it was quite clear that his sole purpose in posting here was to be as disruptive as possible. If someone is invited to your house and the first thing they do is start throwing shit all over the walls, most reasonable folks would ask that person to leave(or physically remove them). That is the same reason that Moose will never be allowed a foothold on any board that I am part of the management. A very wise person on another site has said that I do not suffer fools lightly. And I don't, in my personal life, professional life, or any other aspects of my life.

How that translates to this board is that if you are being lewd, rude, profane, or disruptive with no other purpose than "just because I think I can, or it is my God-given right to do so", then you will be dealt with harshly.

If you drop an F-bomb in a game thread or in a heated discussion, not one moderator is going even blink an eye. If you drop one in 7 straight posts, we may send you a PM asking you to tone it down(we will not delete the posts at that point). If you ignore our requests, we will start altering your posts, and I if you continue on at that point, we will send you to the cooler.

As far as personal attacks, we expect people to argue, bicker, even belittle each other at times. If it gets too heated, we will ask each party(privately or in the thread) to take a quick break(voluntarily) from the exchange and try to gain a little perspective. We don't want to step in to every heated discussion or argument.

I hope that gives you all some perspective to what we are trying to accomplish here. I have zero interest in moderating this board to the extreme of CB, but we don't want it to be a free for all as well.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 10:32 PM
So, apparently UFN Chad Sexington is saying he isn't the ub5 Chad Sexington. I for one believe him, it was out of his character to come here and do what he supposedly did. The plot thickens.

NorthwestUteFan
02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
That does not surprise me as it seemed out of character. The Wall used to do things like that on other boards, especially after Pacmas.

LA Ute
02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Well, if it was an impersonator we're going to have a few weeks of working through sick stunts like that. I think the board will self-police if the early adopters set the tone.

Jarid in Cedar
02-21-2013, 10:50 PM
So, apparently UFN Chad Sexington is saying he isn't the ub5 Chad Sexington. I for one believe him, it was out of his character to come here and do what he supposedly did. The plot thickens.

Now, that would be a classic Moose move. I think I will do some investigation. I wonder if Webmonkey would be willing to compare ip addresses.

Corvan
02-21-2013, 10:58 PM
I kept thinking that the posts were very much unlike Chad's personality. I get the feeling that you got "moosed". I'd like to meet the guy sometime. Ktown apparently knows him and says in real life he's a pretty nice guy but when he gets on the boards he becomes this new persona.

Jarid in Cedar
02-21-2013, 11:09 PM
I kept thinking that the posts were very much unlike Chad's personality. I get the feeling that you got "moosed". I'd like to meet the guy sometime. Ktown apparently knows him and says in real life he's a pretty nice guy but when he gets on the boards he becomes this new persona.

And people wonder why Moose is considered person non grata if you are managing a board.

hardcoreUTE
02-21-2013, 11:19 PM

The only thing that has driven me away from utefans and on over to here (granted I never really posted much on utefans or added anything in the first place) is the complete asshole comments you would get. Utefans is more like reddit, and it was far too easy for sfork and midnightversion or others that added little to a conversation to hijack posts with out the main topic ever getting answered.

I'd sign up for utezone if I could because that is the kind of discussion I'd rather participate in, real focus on a topic. Not H-man posting he bought new pants or midnights latest haiku. I'm glad a board has finally popped up that has garnered enough traffic to get focused topics going.

I like Chris, I consider him a friend and have known him and others from Utefans personally for 8-9 years. I don't plan on never going back to Utefans, it helped fill a void for a lot of us over the years to help us feel more connected to the University, but I'm very, very glad Utahby5 has had a successful launch so far. I really don't understand why this is an issue.

Big Dave
02-21-2013, 11:33 PM
I enjoy posts by SforkUte, midnightversion, and especially H-man. To me, H-man is practically a God. I wish we'd keep the trash talking of Utefans.net and its supporters to a minimum. Jessica Alba Thursday, New Wave Wednesday, Rock N Roll Thursday, H-man meme...all great things I just don't see happening anywhere other than UF.N.

Jarid in Cedar
02-21-2013, 11:40 PM
I wish we'd keep the trash talking of Utefans.net and its supporters to a minimum. Jessica Alba Thursday, New Wave Wednesday, Rock N Roll Thursday, H-man meme...all great things I just don't see happening anywhere other than UF.N.

I agree with this.

But, I think some people are just expressing their personal frustrations with some aspect of ufn, just the same as some posters will express frustration with how we run things here.

big z
02-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Now, that would be a classic Moose move. I think I will do some investigation. I wonder if Webmonkey would be willing to compare ip addresses.

If you can't get them from Chris, check with Crimmy over on Hoyo

Jarid in Cedar
02-22-2013, 08:28 AM
If you can't get them from Chris, check with Crimmy over on Hoyo

Good thought, thanks.

U-Ute
02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
I enjoy posts by SforkUte, midnightversion, and especially H-man. To me, H-man is practically a God. I wish we'd keep the trash talking of Utefans.net and its supporters to a minimum. Jessica Alba Thursday, New Wave Wednesday, Rock N Roll Thursday, H-man meme...all great things I just don't see happening anywhere other than UF.N.

I don't know if it wouldn't ever happen here.

I agree that there is a place for a bit of humor and acting like a 12 year old. That is why the vBulletin format is so much better. You could create a Man Cave forum devoted to guys being 12 year olds and people who don't want to see it won't see it scrolling by in their timeline. For us here, it would take some time to come up with a set of rules of what is and isn't appropriate for forum like that, and there are plenty of other fires to fight right now. So while it may happen, I couldn't give you a time frame.

Tacoma Ute
02-22-2013, 06:13 PM
There is no way that was the real Chad Sexington. Even without out him telling us on Utefans that it wasn't him I could tell it was not. He's a class act and wouldn't post that garbage.

Jarid in Cedar
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
There is no way that was the real Chad Sexington. Even without out him telling us on Utefans that it wasn't him I could tell it was not. He's a class act and wouldn't post that garbage.

I don't know Chad or his online personna, so I am glad to here that.