PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Roughness: Utah v. Texas State Game Thread

Applejack
12-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Unlike most of our opponents on our august preseason schedule, I know quite a bit about the Texas State Fightin' Armadillos. I know that their football team was given the death penalty and they had to recruit an entire new team in a single year. I know that they filled the team by recruiting overlooked players with axes to grind and older players who appeared washed up. I also know that they shocked the world that year by (1) using a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model as a placekicker and (2) defeating the hated U of Texas Colts in the last game of the season. In fact, a fantastic movie was made about that year's team starring Sinbad and and Scott Bacula.

I know significantly less about the basketball squad, however. They are 3-7 on the year (with an abysmal 1-6 mark when playing games in the United States). Their best victory came against Tulane. This should be an easy W for our squad, and it would be nice to see X-man Ricketts get some game experience before starting Pac-12 play.

Also, Texas St's coach looks to be a dead ringer for pre-bishopric LAUte:

DrumNFeather
12-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Such a great movie.

I look forward to Utah getting its 10th win by beating Manu Manu the Slender and the rest of the Fighting Armadillos.

U-Ute
12-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Such a great movie.

I look forward to Utah getting its 10th win by beating Manu Manu the Slender and the rest of the Fighting Armadillos.

I just know I'll be watching every time they kick a field goal.

LA Ute
12-18-2013, 12:56 PM

I would never wear a tie with those colors.

BTW, I served in three bishoprics and on one high council, and as ward mission leader, scoutmaster and YM president while wearing a mustache. I resisted all hints to shave until I was safely out of any calling in which my decision might be seen as motivated by ecclesiastical reasons. I think I deserve some recognition for that.

Diehard Ute
12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
I would never wear a tie with those colors.

BTW, I served in three bishoprics and on one high council, and as ward mission leader, scoutmaster and YM president while wearing a mustache. I resisted all hints to shave until I was safely out of any calling in which my decision might be seen as motivated by ecclesiastical reasons. I think I deserve some recognition for that.

You guys are worse than the PD with your grooming expectations

Mormon Red Death
12-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Unlike most of our opponents on our august preseason schedule, I know quite a bit about the Texas State Fightin' Armadillos. I know that their football team was given the death penalty and they had to recruit an entire new team in a single year. I know that they filled the team by recruiting overlooked players with axes to grind and older players who appeared washed up. I also know that they shocked the world that year by (1) using a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit model as a placekicker and (2) defeating the hated U of Texas Colts in the last game of the season. In fact, a fantastic movie was made about that year's team starring Sinbad and and Scott Bacula.

I know significantly less about the basketball squad, however. They are 3-7 on the year (with an abysmal 1-6 mark when playing games in the United States). Their best victory came against Tulane. This should be an easy W for our squad, and it would be nice to see X-man Ricketts get some game experience before starting Pac-12 play.

I remember their coach Ed straight arrow Genarro

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ex'dute
12-19-2013, 02:16 PM
I can't believe this thread doesn't have a picture of Kathy Ireland, circa 1990, on it yet. I would find one myself, but I'm at work and I don't want to google "Kathy Ireland bikini pics" because I'm afraid "big brother" in the IT department is watching.

Anyway, can someone help a brother out and get a Kathy Ireland picture up soon?

Thanks in advance!

hostile
12-19-2013, 03:20 PM
I can't believe this thread doesn't have a picture of Kathy Ireland, circa 1990, on it yet. I would find one myself, but I'm at work and I don't want to google "Kathy Ireland bikini pics" because I'm afraid "big brother" in the IT department is watching.

Anyway, can someone help a brother out and get a Kathy Ireland picture up soon?

Thanks in advance!
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/AyJIq_BNPME/hqdefault.jpg

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Anyone want my 4 excellent seats to tonight's game? Free to a Ute fan. PM me.

Homer Crimson
12-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Anyone want my 4 excellent seats to tonight's game? Free to a Ute fan. PM me.

I'm going tonight but I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of this- an uninspiring opponent and a hellacious storm = empty Hunty. I hope the team doesn't overlook the pesky Bobcats.

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm going tonight but I'm afraid there's going to be a lot of this- an uninspiring opponent and a hellacious storm = empty Hunty. I hope the team doesn't overlook the pesky Bobcats.

I like to think I'd go if I lived there. Anyway, my son can't go and so the tix are free.

Ex'dute
12-19-2013, 05:12 PM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/AyJIq_BNPME/hqdefault.jpg

Thanks (I guess), Hostile. That is indeed a picture of Kathy Ireland from that era. Not exactly the kind of picture of Kathy Ireland I was hoping for, but you did come through when asked.

Ex'dute
12-19-2013, 05:23 PM
[url]http://hossofsauce.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/kathy-ireland-unsigned-sports-illustrated-25th-anniversary-swimsuit-magazine_f9ee9a570e8790144d6ee45f9e2b2567.jpg[url]

Applejack
12-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Serious question: would a Texas State team consisting of Sinbad, Scott "Dracula" Bakula, Kathy Ireland, Jason Bateman, and Rob Scneider beat Saint Katherine's?

I'm talking about Sinbad in his prime.

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks (I guess), Hostile. That is indeed a picture of Kathy Ireland from that era. Not exactly the kind of picture of Kathy Ireland I was hoping for, but you did come through when asked.

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Jordan starts with 2 straight air balls.

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Delon must have the green light to shoot the trey .

Ex'dute
12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
The Armadillos (for some reason the announcers are calling them Bobcats) are bad. Utah is disinterested but is still leading by a dozen.

LA Ute
12-19-2013, 07:57 PM
I think the Utes all need a bowl of Wheaties at halftime.

U-Ute
12-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I found out today that kids got in free last night if they wore their Jr Jazz jerseys.

Even had I known that, I wouldn't have been able to go. Didn't anyone look at a calendar and realize that this game was on a thursday night?

On a more relevant note: the first 25 minutes of that game resembled my 2nd grader's last Jr Jazz game.

GarthUte
12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
One thing I learned from this game is that the team is better this year. Last year, when Texas State got within 4 points in the 2nd half, the Utes would have panicked and lost the game.

Applejack
12-20-2013, 02:15 PM
One thing I learned from this game is that the team is better this year. Last year, when Texas State got within 4 points in the 2nd half, the Utes would have panicked and lost the game.

This is very true. It is really nice to have no expectations of losing against inferior opponents. I haven't felt that way in a long time.