PDA

View Full Version : The Competition: PAC-12 Hoops 2016-17

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

LA Ute
12-22-2013, 04:16 PM
This can be a thread about what we see happening in our conference.

sancho
12-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Mixed results against minor league teams from the state of Ohio. USC beats a Dayton team that upset Gonzaga earlier this year. Oregon State goes down to Akron.

SeattleUte
01-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Oregon and Colorado going down to the wire and the game has unfolded much like ours with Oregon did. We want Colorado to win this, because we don't play Oregon again and we can control our fate with Colorado, playing Colorado two times. I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'm playing this conference to win it.

Mormon Red Death
01-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Oregon and Colorado going down to the wire and the game has unfolded much like ours with Oregon did. We want Colorado to win this, because we don't play Oregon again and we can control our fate with Colorado, playing Colorado two times. I don't know about you gentlemen, but I'm playing this conference to win it.

Colorado won by 9 points

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

UteBeliever aka Port
01-05-2014, 07:26 PM
You know, really, basketball is where the new landscape of college athletics in the State of Utah becomes the most apparent. Moreso than football.

Scratch
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
So how does everyone rank the toughest road trips in the league this year? Here's mine:

1. Arizona
(big gap)
2. Mountain
(decent, but not huge, gap)
3. Bay
(very small gap)
4. Oregon
(virtually no gap)
5. LA
(enormous gap)
6. Washington

UteBeliever aka Port
01-05-2014, 08:29 PM
So how does everyone rank the toughest road trips in the league this year? Here's mine:

1. Arizona
(big gap)
2. Mountain
(decent, but not huge, gap)
3. Bay
(very small gap)
4. Oregon
(virtually no gap)
5. LA
(enormous gap)
6. Washington

The thing about those rankings is this: How good is UCLA? How bad is USC? How good is Washington? WSU looks terrible. Maybe the Bay area, overall, is last?

Scratch
01-05-2014, 08:33 PM
The thing about those rankings is this: How good is UCLA? How bad is USC? How good is Washington? WSU looks terrible. Maybe the Bay area, overall, is last?

Washington's not good. They probably belong in the bottom tier with WSU, USC, and OSU. I'd be shocked if they're as good as either Bay team, and I bet Romar is unemployed after this year.

Ex'dute
01-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Washington looked bad in the non-conference season, but they upset ASU in Tempe and gave the Wildcats a scare in Tucson. On any given night . . . .

I'll be happy with a 1-point win over the Huskies in Seattle on Wednesday night.

Utah
01-05-2014, 09:18 PM
You know, really, basketball is where the new landscape of college athletics in the State of Utah becomes the most apparent. Moreso than football.

Please eloborate.

SeattleUte
01-05-2014, 09:50 PM
Washington's not good. They probably belong in the bottom tier with WSU, USC, and OSU. I'd be shocked if they're as good as either Bay team, and I bet Romar is unemployed after this year.

I agree Romar is deficient, but they'll never fire Romar. Never. Unless there's a scandal, he'll be there till he quits.

U-Ute
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM
When crowds look like this, fans are doing it right! @Runnin_Utes rank 2nd in in attendance, only behind AZ. (https://twitter.com/utahathletics/statuses/420290239047811072)

:rockon:

SeattleUte
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
We should combine this thread with my 12 Pac thread. I didn't see LA had started this.

Jarid in Cedar
01-06-2014, 04:27 PM
We should combine this thread with my 12 Pac thread. I didn't see LA had started this.

Done

U-Ute
01-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Week one in review (http://pachoops.com/2014/01/week-1-pac-12-hoops-review-2/).

What We Learned: There were some nice contests to kick things off and I think we were all reminded of the enigmatic nature of conference sports, but Utah. Sure they lost on a last second steal-n-dunk – you know, just the way Dana likely drew things up – but they played like the winners for all 45 minutes. Prior to the game, Utah was interesting, at best, to me. I gchatted all about it and ‘interesting’ was literally the only thing we could come up with (we meaning me, James (https://twitter.com/CUGoose), and Jason (https://twitter.com/jgisland)). Such a conclusion made that game Thursday night all the more, well, interesting. AND THEN THE GAME ACTUALLY HAPPENED! I loved Jordan Loveridge’s night (http://pachoops.com/2014/01/utah-utah-utah-and-a-few-other-thoughts-from-opening-night/) and the way Utah played and conducted themselves. And I still think full credit is owed to Oregon. Winning conference road games is to be celebrated. Losing conference home games is a tough pill to swallow. That’s why I think Utah’s effort was a moral victory but not necessarily one they have to like. Oh, and then they kicked the hell out of OSU. Utah’s legit.

sancho
01-10-2014, 08:30 AM
Two somewhat surprising results: Oregon State downs Stanford, and Cal wins at Oregon.

Applejack
01-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Two somewhat surprising results: Oregon State downs Stanford, and Cal wins at Oregon.

The Cal game is the real shocker. Winning on the road in the Pac is like drinking a real milkshake: it doesn't happen often, so it should be savored. That's why no one should be poo-pooing the WSU game on Saturday - that would be a fine win for our young program.

Utah
01-10-2014, 09:26 AM
The Cal game is the real shocker. Winning on the road in the Pac is like drinking a real milkshake: it doesn't happen often, so it should be savored. That's why no one should be poo-pooing the WSU game on Saturday - that would be a fine win for our young program.

We have made a HUGE jump this season: Playing with anyone at home.

We have two big ones to make: Winning consistently on the road and closing off tight games.

Any win on the road vs any opponent at this point is a huge win.

So, I agree with you.

SeattleUte
01-10-2014, 09:30 AM

Nothing shocks me in this crazy conference. It's full of good basketball players and athletes. AZ will lose at least three times. I'm expecting the Utes to beat them.

LA Ute
01-16-2014, 02:07 PM
The PacHoops blogger has a lot to say about Cal:

Cal Doing Big things with Improved Richard (http://pachoops.com/2014/01/cal-doing-big-things-with-improved-richard/)

SoCalPat
01-16-2014, 05:47 PM
The PacHoops blogger has a lot to say about Cal:

Cal Doing Big things with Improved Richard (http://pachoops.com/2014/01/cal-doing-big-things-with-improved-richard/)

Cal snuck up on all of us. And I love their schedule -- four home cupcakes, followed by a tough preseason tournament, then alternating home games with true road games against Tournament-caliber competition (UC Santa Barbara, Creighton). They lost some games and looked flat in other contests (Fresno, a team we scored 90 points against, gave up 67 to Cal), but it's clear the Bears hit conference play running. Would love to see our schedule play out in similar fashion next year. Plus, it misses on the SLC-Boulder road trip.

LA Ute
01-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Cal snuck up on all of us. And I love their schedule -- four home cupcakes, followed by a tough preseason tournament, then alternating home games with true road games against Tournament-caliber competition (UC Santa Barbara, Creighton). They lost some games and looked flat in other contests (Fresno, a team we scored 90 points against, gave up 67 to Cal), but it's clear the Bears hit conference play running. Would love to see our schedule play out in similar fashion next year.

I think (hope?) Larry learned a lot from the pre-conference extreme cupcake schedule he had this season. I doubt we'll see anything like that again.

Utah
01-16-2014, 10:08 PM
I think (hope?) Larry learned a lot from the pre-conference extreme cupcake schedule he had this season. I doubt we'll see anything like that again.

Larry has already said that the schedule was set a couple of years ago, and had he known how far along the Utes would have been this year, he would have scheduled differently. I don't think he was counting on Wright being so good.

Utah
01-16-2014, 10:09 PM
Just enjoy the ride. We don't suck anymore. We are ahead of schedule. Go Utes!

sancho
01-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Lunardi's latest bracket projections for ESPN have 6 teams - CU, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, Cal - from the Pac-12, with ASU on the "first four out" list.

Applejack
01-17-2014, 09:17 AM
Lunardi's latest bracket projections for ESPN have 6 teams - CU, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, Stanford, Cal - from the Pac-12, with ASU on the "first four out" list.

I think a realistic goal for the Utes this year is to be in the second third of Pac teams. I think CU, UCLA, AU, Cal, Stanford and maybe Oregon go dancing. You would think that 2-3 teams after that will go to the NIT: Arizona St, Washington?, and us, maybe. I want it to be clear that we are better than USC, OSU, and Wazzu. That would be a successful season, in my book.

sancho
01-17-2014, 09:27 AM
I think a realistic goal for the Utes this year is to be in the second third of Pac teams. I think CU, UCLA, AU, Cal, Stanford and maybe Oregon go dancing. You would think that 2-3 teams after that will go to the NIT: Arizona St, Washington?, and us, maybe. I want it to be clear that we are better than USC, OSU, and Wazzu. That would be a successful season, in my book.

That would put us right at our predicted 9th place finish.

Scratch
01-17-2014, 09:58 AM

If it isn't clear by the end of the year that we are significantly better than USC, OSU, and WSU then I will be wildly disappointed. What I really want is for us to find a way to elbow ahead of a couple in that next group and slip into the #7 spot. I'm just afraid the WSU loss may prevent us from edging out UW and ASU.

Scorcho
01-17-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm starting to think that Utah, BYU and Utah State might all end up in the NIT this year, which could prove interesting should any of those schools face each other

Applejack
01-17-2014, 11:46 AM
If it isn't clear by the end of the year that we are significantly better than USC, OSU, and WSU then I will be wildly disappointed. What I really want is for us to find a way to elbow ahead of a couple in that next group and slip into the #7 spot. I'm just afraid the WSU loss may prevent us from edging out UW and ASU.

Really, at the start of the year you thought we would be far ahead of those teams? You have more foresight than I do.

I think we can catch UW or ASU - it's all about road wins in this league. We have none (and one home loss); UW has one road win (ASU); ASU has one road win (USC) and one home loss (UW). We need to handle our business at home, more or less, and steal a few on the road. That should be the goal of this team: protect your house.

Scratch
01-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Really, at the start of the year you thought we would be far ahead of those teams? You have more foresight than I do.

I think we can catch UW or ASU - it's all about road wins in this league. We have none (and one home loss); UW has one road win (ASU); ASU has one road win (USC) and one home loss (UW). We need to handle our business at home, more or less, and steal a few on the road. That should be the goal of this team: protect your house.

Nope, not at the start of the year, but at the start of the year I didn't know Delon would be as amazing as he is. My disappointment would be based not on my preseason expectations, but my current belief of what this team is capable of given Delon's emergence and, to a lesser extent, Bachynski's ability to stay tuned in and play within himself thus far.

U-Ute
01-17-2014, 03:25 PM

This. Yes this. I think this is the reasonable goal for this year.

LA Ute
01-17-2014, 06:49 PM
This. Yes this. I think this is the reasonable goal for this year.

Agree.

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Interesting breakdown of UCLA's defense.

http://pachoops.com/2014/01/uclas-transition-offense-from-defense-and-more-much-more/

Seems consistent with what we saw in our game with them.

sancho
02-08-2014, 05:54 PM
ASU dodges two bullets at home this week. OT vs the Beavers, last second vs the Ducks after giving up 20 point lead. Marshall is the guy with the clutch shot each time.

Applejack
03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
There are rumors that Monty will retire from Cal. Any chance that we can steal that big Polish dude, or has he signed?

sancho
03-31-2014, 09:17 AM
There are rumors that Monty will retire from Cal. Any chance that we can steal that big Polish dude, or has he signed?

He's Austrian, and I have no idea.

Any chance the other Miller brother comes to Cal? It would be fun to see those two play against each other each year.

SoCalPat
04-02-2014, 02:15 PM
He's Austrian, and I have no idea.

Any chance the other Miller brother comes to Cal? It would be fun to see those two play against each other each year.

Archie turns down Cal, and Wilner with an excellent piece about the obstacles Cal has to overcome.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2014/04/01/cal-basketball-great-school-tough-job-and-the-search-to-replace-montgomery/

concerned
04-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Archie turns down Cal, and Wilner with an excellent piece about the obstacles Cal has to overcome.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2014/04/01/cal-basketball-great-school-tough-job-and-the-search-to-replace-montgomery/

they were lucky to land Montgomery; it will be difficult to land someone of that caliber, I would think

SoCalPat
04-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Wazzu ups the ante for Cal by hiring Ernie Kent. Very good move for Wazzu, all things considered.

sancho
04-02-2014, 03:27 PM

What a whiny piece of article. Boo-hoo, Cal classes are too hard for Cal athletes. Give me a break.

I'm guessing that Archie wasn't excited about taking on his brother with an inferior roster over and over again.

sancho
04-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Wazzu ups the ante for Cal by hiring Ernie Kent. Very good move for Wazzu, all things considered.

This is also good news for anyone who watches basketball on the Pac-12 Network.

SoCalPat
04-02-2014, 05:56 PM
This is also good news for anyone who watches basketball on the Pac-12 Network.

Joe Montana and Magic Johnson were horrible behind the mike doing analysis, but that's not what their talents were sought for.

Utah
04-02-2014, 06:00 PM
What a whiny piece of article. Boo-hoo, Cal classes are too hard for Cal athletes. Give me a break.

I'm guessing that Archie wasn't excited about taking on his brother with an inferior roster over and over again.

Cal's problem is they don't have a brand. Stanford does just fine with the whole " we are smarter than you" Schtick.

Once again, private institution has been run better than comparable public one.

;)

Scorcho
04-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Cal's problem is they don't have a brand. Stanford does just fine with the whole " we are smarter than you" Schtick.

Once again, private institution has been run better than comparable public one.

;)

rumor: Krysko's name is coming up already with the Cal job.

Solon
04-02-2014, 07:10 PM
rumor: Krysko's name is coming up already with the Cal job.

Please tell me that there's no way.
How good is that job?

LA Ute
04-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Please tell me that there's no way.
How good is that job?

There's no way. Seriously.

concerned
04-02-2014, 07:44 PM
There's no way. Seriously.

That is my reaction. It cant pay more, given the financial constraints of the Cal athletic dept; and it has to be easier to win here than there. Much better fan base and facilities. unless you absolutely hate living here, there is no reason at all to take that job. You can use the U as a stepping stone to a better job than Cal if that is your goal.

sancho
04-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave that to start a brand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.

UBlender
04-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave rand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.

Larry to Cal makes little sense for either side. I agree with everything said about why Larry would have little reason to leave Utah for Cal--unless he either secretly hates living in Utah or really, really loves the bay area. At the same time, from Cal's perspective I would be looking for someone with a better record. Larry has Utah trending up, and to us Ute fans it looks good right now, but his overall record at Utah is still way below .500 and his best season culminated in an embarrassing NIT flameout. As a Ute fan I'm all in on Larry, as a Bear fan I would be underwhelmed with that hire.

I'd look for Cal to go for an up and comer from a smaller conference who has a better record over more years.

LA Ute
04-02-2014, 09:14 PM
I wonder if Cal is interested in Randy Barnett Bennett? I wonder if Barnett would be interested in Cal?

Scorcho
04-02-2014, 09:49 PM
I wonder if Cal is interested in Randy Barnett? I wonder if Barnett would be interested in Cal?

St. Marys Randy Bennet?

Only thing negative I can see with Bennet is that St. Mary's was hit with some penalties under his watch a few years back.

LA Ute
04-02-2014, 10:45 PM
St. Marys Randy Bennet?

Only thing negative I can see with Bennet is that St. Mary's was hit with some penalties under his watch a few years back.

Yeah, that guy.

SoCalPat
04-03-2014, 08:12 AM
Utah should be picked 5th in the conference next year. Cal will be picked 8-9. Coach has just landed a great class at Utah and has his whole team returning. The Utah rebuild of years is about to pay off. He's gonna leave that to start a brand new rebuild? I feel pretty safe on this one. Maybe he uses it to get a raise.

We should be picked higher than fifth. Play next season 100 times, and we win the damn thing outright far more often than we'll finish 5th.

sancho
04-03-2014, 08:32 AM
We should be picked higher than fifth. Play next season 100 times, and we win the damn thing outright far more often than we'll finish 5th.

I'm figuring 1-4 will be Arizona, UCLA, CU, and Oregon. Arizona might be preseason #1 nationally. CU returns everyone (assuming Dinwiddie returns). Oregon signed some hotshot 1-and-done to go along with the rest of their returners. And UCLA is just UCLA.

sancho
04-03-2014, 08:34 AM
I wonder if Cal is interested in Randy Barnett Bennett? I wonder if Barnett would be interested in Cal?

I think Bennett's ship sailed. He had a nice window where he could have moved on to a bigger program, but now he hasn't made the tournament in a while. Those successful St Mary's teams are now just vague memories. Something about a Sandman?

Plus, Bennett has never shown he can succeed without international players. Maybe that pipeline will always be there for him, but I wouldn't risk that if I were Cal.

Is Ben Howland a candidate?

Scratch
04-03-2014, 08:59 AM
Is Ben Howland a candidate?

Is he still being paid by the UC system?

FountainOfUte
04-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Randy Bennett would be a home run hire for them. Maybe some of the shimmer has left from his resume with a small NCAA Tourney drought, but the guy can coach and is at the perfect point in his career to take a program like Cal. Besides, one of his last victories was a thrilling NIT win over an up-and-coming PAC-12 program. ;)

sancho
04-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Randy Bennett would be a home run hire for them. Maybe some of the shimmer has left from his resume with a small NCAA Tourney drought, but the guy can coach and is at the perfect point in his career to take a program like Cal. Besides, one of his last victories was a thrilling NIT win over an up-and-coming PAC-12 program. ;)

I'm all for it. Bennett would not make me as nervous as some other names.

Applejack
04-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Cal is a great place for a coach - low expectations, solid recruiting base, decent facilities. The only downside is the administration is down on sports because the football team just went $100 million over budget on the new stadium (sorry history department!).

sancho
04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Cal is a great place for a coach - low expectations, solid recruiting base, decent facilities.

And in a great city, too.

You would think history departments would eventually get used to their status on the bottom of the totem pole. But no, they still complain about stuff.

sancho
04-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Maybe he uses it to get a raise.

New five year deal for Coach Krystko.

Applejack
04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
New five year deal for Coach Krystko.

Wait, is this real or are you just clarifying your prediction?

sancho
04-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Wait, is this real or are you just clarifying your prediction?

Sorry, it was a tweet from tony jones:

Breaking news: Chris Hill tells me he and Larry Krystkowiak have agreed in principle to a new five year contract

How do I put a tweet in here? Link to it?

Applejack
04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Sorry, it was a tweet from tony jones:

How do I put a tweet in here? Link to it?

Wow! I like Kodiak and think he has done a phenomenal job, but five years!??!! Chris Hill is not gun-shy on long term deals, apparently.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Breaking news: Chris Hill tells me he and Larry Krystkowiak have agreed in principle to a new five year contract

(https://twitter.com/Tjonessltrib/status/451750368121090048)https://twitter.com/Tjonessltrib/status/4 51750368121090048 (https://twitter.com/Tjonessltrib/status/451750368121090048)

(https://twitter.com/Tjonessltrib/status/451750368121090048)

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Somewhere Comrade Crimson is in deep despair.

Diehard Ute
04-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Wow! I like Kodiak and think he has done a phenomenal job, but five years!??!! Chris Hill is not gun-shy on long term deals, apparently.

It's pretty much standard these days.

And honestly, in sports do time frames on contracts ever matter? Neither side honors them

sancho
04-03-2014, 11:19 AM

I like it. I'm also the lifetime contract for Whitt guy, so...

Once you know you have a good coach, it makes sense to make him happy, to allow him to focus, and to give recruits confidence in the stability of the program.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 11:20 AM
It's pretty much standard these days.

And honestly, in sports do time frames on contracts ever matter? Neither side honors them

All the contract does is increase the buyout for the school hiring the coach. If they really want him, that's not really an impediment in most cases. The greater significance of the extension, IMO, is the vote of confidence it represents. It helps recruiting and fund-raising, among other things -- as long as the coach continues to succeed in the eyes of fans.

Applejack
04-03-2014, 12:35 PM
All the contract does is increase the buyout for the school hiring the coach. If they really want him, that's not really an impediment in most cases. The greater significance of the extension, IMO, is the vote of confidence it represents. It helps recruiting and fund-raising, among other things -- as long as the coach continues to succeed in the eyes of fans.

Unless, of course, you end up firing the coach, at which point you are paying a kings ransom for someone not to. Ish- see, James boylen.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Unless, of course, you end up firing the coach, at which point you are paying a kings ransom for someone not to. Ish- see, James boylen.

Right. Having been burned so badly last time I've got to think Hill thought this change through carefully this time.

UBlender
04-03-2014, 01:14 PM

The biggest problem with firing Boylen is that we were still paying Giac at that point so that when we hired Larry we were paying three coaches at a time where we weren't getting TV revenue from the PAC 12 yet. I am pretty sure that Boylen is off the books now--if he's not then he must be very soon. If things go south, Utah could end up eating the last 2-3 years of Larry's deal, but it would only be Larry. I'm not sure what kind of pay increase he is getting, but his original $900,000 salary is pretty modest so absorbing two or three years at a slightly bigger amount is really not that big of a deal with Utah now at full revenue in the PAC 12. (Actually, I bet that the PAC revenue has little to do with this, but that the 2-4 big boosters are on board with this new contract and have agreed that they will pony up for whatever may come during the life of the contract).

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
The biggest problem with firing Boylen is that we were still paying Giac at that point so that when we hired Larry we were paying three coaches at a time where we weren't getting TV revenue from the PAC 12 yet. I am pretty sure that Boylen is off the books now--if he's not then he must be very soon. If things go south, Utah could end up eating the last 2-3 years of Larry's deal, but it would only be Larry. I'm not sure what kind of pay increase he is getting, but his original $900,000 salary is pretty modest so absorbing two or three years at a slightly bigger amount is really not that big of a deal with Utah now at full revenue in the PAC 12. (Actually, I bet that the PAC revenue has little to do with this, but that the 2-4 big boosters are on board with this new contract and have agreed that they will pony up for whatever may come during the life of the contract).

Rumor has it that the increase puts Kodiak in the middle of the salary range for PAC-12 basketball coaches.

Utah
04-03-2014, 01:23 PM

I would also think that the fact that the Huntsman Center is so full, so quickly, makes the TV money a moot point. If the school's revenue off ticket sales and concessions shoot up a year or two early, that right there could pay for his new deal.

Scratch
04-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Rumor has it that the increase puts Kodiak in the middle of the salary range for PAC-12 basketball coaches.

If true that would mean he's somewhere in the 1.2-1.5 range, which is pretty good money for a hoops coach who hasn't been in the tournament for almost a decade, but I'm happy about it.

Utah
04-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Where he deserves to be at this point.

concerned
04-03-2014, 02:02 PM
If true that would mean he's somewhere in the 1.2-1.5 range, which is pretty good money for a hoops coach who hasn't been in the tournament for almost a decade, but I'm happy about it.

I thought I heard C Hill quoted somewhere that he would be about $1.4 to $1.5. the important provision is the $2 billion buy out clause.

U-Ute
04-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Somewhere Comrade Crimson is in deep despair.

I dunno. To be a successful media publisher of any kind of opinion related content you need controversy. He's probably giddy.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Statement from Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak

"Nothing has been signed as details are still being worked out. However, this is something Dr. Hill and I have been speaking about for some time. I'm very excited about the commitment from the University of Utah and I love the situation here. We are on the cusp of doing some special things and I'm proud to be a part of it."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29327320&nid=635&title=larry-krystkowiak-to-get-new-5-year-deal

concerned
04-03-2014, 03:14 PM
well, I couldn't resist. I wandered over to Mr. C's blog; he has already blogged that the extension is a mistake. Yesterday he seemed gleeful that LK was a candidate at Cal.

Larry Lapdogs uber alles is all I can say.

SoCalPat
04-03-2014, 03:20 PM
If I'm giving a coach who hasn't made the NCAA Tournament in his first three years a five-year extension, I'm making the buyout very small.

Lots to like about what Larry has done, but he hasn't accomplished what he was brought here to do. Obviously, that's the cost of business these days in college sports -- you're paying on the come. Craps enthusiasts will understand that lingo.

DrumNFeather
04-14-2014, 05:33 PM
AZ's Gordon to enter the draft, officially.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

FountainOfUte
04-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Lots to like about what Larry has done, but he hasn't accomplished what he was brought here to do.

No, he's not ultimately accomplished what he was brought here to do, but do you think that he's hit all of the expected marks so far? I do. I mean, condidering where this program was, who was expecting LK to get to the NCAAs in his third season? I mean, we all wanted it, but who expected it (as in, if he doesn't, he's failed)? So, he's not hit the high mark, but clearly he's trending that way. I probably won't argue too hard with anyone who thinks we may have jumped too soon to renegotiate. But I think it was perfectly fine for Hill to once again show Larry some contract/financial good will -- so long as it didn't come at too high a price for us should things fall apart.

sancho
04-15-2014, 03:43 PM
So Cal hires Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee. He had success in Knoxville. Hopefully he stinks in Berkeley. He is bringing a new 7'1" recruit with him, so maybe we are more likely to land the Austrian kid.

SoCalPat
04-15-2014, 08:10 PM
No, he's not ultimately accomplished what he was brought here to do, but do you think that he's hit all of the expected marks so far? I do. I mean, condidering where this program was, who was expecting LK to get to the NCAAs in his third season? I mean, we all wanted it, but who expected it (as in, if he doesn't, he's failed)? So, he's not hit the high mark, but clearly he's trending that way. I probably won't argue too hard with anyone who thinks we may have jumped too soon to renegotiate. But I think it was perfectly fine for Hill to once again show Larry some contract/financial good will -- so long as it didn't come at too high a price for us should things fall apart.

I don't think it was expected to have won just three road games in three seasons. I think we could do better in close games, but as I've said elsewhere, that's a shortcoming that has a way of evening itself out. Past that, I cannot disagree. I never would've predicted this staff landing this incoming class -- in that regard, Larry has blown away expectations.

SoCalPat
04-15-2014, 08:31 PM
So Cal hires Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee. He had success in Knoxville. Hopefully he stinks in Berkeley. He is bringing a new 7'1" recruit with him, so maybe we are more likely to land the Austrian kid.

Berkeley is certainly more urban than Knoxville, and he's catching football when it's much further away from making national waves than basketball. Interesting that all five black coaches in the league are in the "North"

311ute
04-16-2014, 03:47 PM
Here's an interesting topic that was brought up today on twitter by Doug Gottlieb:

How would you rank Pac-12 coaching jobs?

The discussion started by Gottlieb saying that CU is the 9th best coaching job in the Pac-12, to which he got a lot of flak from Buffs fans. He went on to rank the top 9:

UCLA
Arizona
Stanford
Cal
UW
ASU
Utah
Oregon
CU

This is how I would rank them:

Arizona
UCLA
Oregon
Utah
Colorado
Stanford
Cal
UW
ASU
USC
Oregon St
Wazzu

What do you guys think? Do I have Utah too high? With Utah's fan support, facilities (JMHC the largest arena, plus with the new basketball facility being built), and tradition (only UCLA and Arizona can top our basketball tradition), I think the HC job here is at least top 6. The one (and fairly major) downside to the job here is location. Utah isn't exactly a hot-bed recruiting wise. But after seeing the total apathy from fans in our conference for hoops (aside from Arizona and Colorado), I have a hard time putting some of these other schools over us.

FountainOfUte
04-16-2014, 04:44 PM
I'd rank it something like this:

UCLA
Arizona
Oregon
Utah
Stanford
Colorado
Cal
UW
ASU
USC
Oregon St
Wazzu

I still think UCLA is the most prestigious job with the highest ceiling. It's probably splitting hairs when compared to the Arizona job, but I'm going with my gut here. Stanford seems to treat all of their sports right, so you don't have to worry about getting the football cold shoulder from the administration, plus you get to be in the Bay area. I'm skeptical about Oregon and Colorado. UO has $$$, and that goes a long way. I see CU as a product of a currently good coach and a student body enjoying recent success. Will it last if Boyle leaves? Their football debacle gives me doubts that their athletic department can make the right moves to keep it going. I do see Utah as a top 1/3 job in the conference in men's hoops.

sancho
04-16-2014, 05:43 PM
I'd rank it something like this

The rank depends on the following:

1) How much do they pay vs cost of living

2) How desirable is the location

3) What are the expectations, and how hard will it be to meet them?

4) Recruiting (which includes facilities, historical strength of the program, current trajectory of program, natural recruiting base, natural recruiting competition, fan support, fan whininess)

5) Potential for becoming a hall of fame coach

Depending on how you want to weigh the criteria, there could be 100 different correct rankings.

SoCalPat
04-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Here's an interesting topic that was brought up today on twitter by Doug Gottlieb:

How would you rank Pac-12 coaching jobs?

What do you guys think? Do I have Utah too high? With Utah's fan support, facilities (JMHC the largest arena, plus with the new basketball facility being built), and tradition (only UCLA and Arizona can top our basketball tradition), I think the HC job here is at least top 6. The one (and fairly major) downside to the job here is location. Utah isn't exactly a hot-bed recruiting wise. But after seeing the total apathy from fans in our conference for hoops (aside from Arizona and Colorado), I have a hard time putting some of these other schools over us.

I can't speak for the entire history of every other Pac-12 school, but our history/tradition, while impressive, is largely irrelevant in today's game once on realizes that we dominated in the 1960s because Jack Gardner was ahead of his time in getting black players, and that Majerus' success was fueled significantly by Prop 48/42 kids. But we're not the only school whose history has conditions -- UCLA is very spotty past Wooden; Arizona is 90 percent Lute; Oregon is a very recent phenomenon, as is Colorado. Only fans really care about history. And unless you're a blueblood, recruits largely don't care about what you've done 40 years ago, either.

That said, our "history", arena size and basketball support -- there's a reason the JMHC is top 5 all-time in NCAA games hosted -- easily puts Utah in the top half of the league. The true negatives about our program -- lack of local talent, which coincides with no true "inner city" that breeds such talent (and keeps it home) -- have improved somewhat, but will always keep us from breaking into the top 3. Arizona, UCLA and whatever flavor of the month is out there (currently Oregon, but could be USC, could be ASU, has been Washington in spurts) will always occupy those spots.

EDIT: To get a better idea of how the Utah job was once perceived, and how it is in complete discord with how we perceive the job, read what Al Maguire told Majerus to do with the Utah job in "Napkin": Run like hell away from it. Now, a lot has changed since then, most notably, the Pac-12 invite. But even Maji himself said that Utah had the tradition of DePaul, but with a fanbase that had expectations of being Duke. Firing Giacoletti and Boylen like we did (even though justified) probably only cemented the idea some might have that we're totally irrational when it comes to hoops. I'd say after UCLA and maybe ASU, our fanbase closest resembles SEC irrationality than any other school in the league, and I say that with a large amount of pride and a measurable amount of disgust.

SeattleUte
04-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Did Cal get the Bogut clone?

Diehard Ute
04-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Did Cal get the Bogut clone?

Hasn't signed with anyone as far as we know.

Utah
04-16-2014, 10:19 PM
ESPN ranked college basketball programs a couple years ago and had us #15.

Utah
04-16-2014, 11:17 PM
I lied. They ranked us #20.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/62977/50-in-50-series-no-20-utah-tie

Applejack
04-17-2014, 08:27 AM
I can't speak for the entire history of every other Pac-12 school, but our history/tradition, while impressive, is largely irrelevant in today's game once on realizes that we dominated in the 1960s because Jack Gardner was ahead of his time in getting black players, and that Majerus' success was fueled significantly by Prop 48/42 kids. But we're not the only school whose history has conditions -- UCLA is very spotty past Wooden; Arizona is 90 percent Lute; Oregon is a very recent phenomenon, as is Colorado. Only fans really care about history. And unless you're a blueblood, recruits largely don't care about what you've done 40 years ago, either.

That said, our "history", arena size and basketball support -- there's a reason the JMHC is top 5 all-time in NCAA games hosted -- easily puts Utah in the top half of the league. The true negatives about our program -- lack of local talent, which coincides with no true "inner city" that breeds such talent (and keeps it home) -- have improved somewhat, but will always keep us from breaking into the top 3. Arizona, UCLA and whatever flavor of the month is out there (currently Oregon, but could be USC, could be ASU, has been Washington in spurts) will always occupy those spots.

EDIT: To get a better idea of how the Utah job was once perceived, and how it is in complete discord with how we perceive the job, read what Al Maguire told Majerus to do with the Utah job in "Napkin": Run like hell away from it. Now, a lot has changed since then, most notably, the Pac-12 invite. But even Maji himself said that Utah had the tradition of DePaul, but with a fanbase that had expectations of being Duke. Firing Giacoletti and Boylen like we did (even though justified) probably only cemented the idea some might have that we're totally irrational when it comes to hoops. I'd say after UCLA and maybe ASU, our fanbase closest resembles SEC irrationality than any other school in the league, and I say that with a large amount of pride and a measurable amount of disgust.

I actually have to agree with a lot of this. But, it's not a bad thing - being in the top half of the Pac on a regular basis is what we should shoot for. We are not UCLA or Arizona. But we do have a population that is basketball-hungry, unlike Eugene, Phoenix, etc, and supports the team pretty well (except when we really suck). That helps recruiting too. I think long-term, Utah is clearly less desirable than Arizona, UCLA, UW, and Oregon (while the Nike money is flowing), but we are on the same page as ASU, USC, and Colorado.

Utah
04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
I HATE how much we bag on ourselves. Quotes like, "Well Wilson has really good for three quarters, but man, that one quarter where he only had two series, he sure sucked. I don't like him." and "our history only boils down to one coach" and all the other self-depreciating crap out there.

Alabama was only good with Bear and Saban. UCLA hasn't been that great since Wooden. They've had ups here and there, but they've been down as well.

Look at this stat:

"Utah has suited up three consensus first-team All Americans since 1995 (Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Andrew Bogut), which is the same total as UCLA and more than Indiana, Illinois and Michigan have combined for in that span."

"Nine trips to the Sweet 16 in the past 35 years. Under Rick Majerus from 1989-2004, the Utes didn’t have a single losing season and reached four Sweet 16s."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/62977/50-in-50-series-no-20-utah-tie

We aren't UCLA or Duke, but we sure as hell ain't BYU or Gonzaga either.

Over the last 50 years, we were ranked #20. That's pretty dang good considering how awful (according to everyone) this job supposedly is.

I think this is the most truth here:

"But we're not the only school whose history has conditions -- UCLA is very spotty past Wooden; Arizona is 90 percent Lute; Oregon is a very recent phenomenon, as is Colorado. Only fans really care about history. And unless you're a blueblood, recruits largely don't care about what you've done 40 years ago, either." -SoCal

I would put our school in the top half of the PAC-12, with potential to be #3, behind UCLA and Arizona.

311ute
04-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Byron Wesley announced on twitter last night that he will be transferring from USC after he graduates this semester (eligible immediately). Big blow for the Trojans.

They now will lose their top 4 scorers from last year's team that went 2-16 in conference play:

Wesley (34.6 mpg, 17.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.3 apg)
Howard (30.4 mpg, 10.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.9 apg, 1.5 spg)
Terrell (24.4. mpg, 9.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1 apg)
Oraby (22.7 mpg, 8.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.3 bpg)

That's A LOT of minutes and production they'll be losing.

They have a solid recruiting class coming in (1 four-star (ESPN top 100) and 3 3-stars), but things could be real ugly in LA next year.

I never really understood all the Enfield love when that hire was made. He went 15-17 at FGCU, then 26-11 with an improbable sweet sixteen run. Seemed like a "flash in the pan" type coach.

I see the league having 4 pretty bad teams next year in USC, Wazzu (who also recently lost Woolridge), Oregon St (why did Moreland declare??), and ASU. ASU is still in the running for a lot of D1 graduate transfers and if they land a couple they could be a slight step above these other 3. They're also hoping McKissick is granted another year of eligibility.

One last comment... I wonder if "JuJu" is regreting his decision now. I know I'm glad he didn't stick with his commitment here, mainly because if he had we probably wouldn't have pursued Delon.

Applejack
04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Byron Wesley announced on twitter last night that he will be transferring from USC after he graduates this semester (eligible immediately). Big blow for the Trojans.

They now will lose their top 4 scorers from last year's team that went 2-16 in conference play:

Wesley (34.6 mpg, 17.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 2.3 apg)
Howard (30.4 mpg, 10.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.9 apg, 1.5 spg)
Terrell (24.4. mpg, 9.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1 apg)
Oraby (22.7 mpg, 8.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.3 bpg)

That's A LOT of minutes and production they'll be losing.

They have a solid recruiting class coming in (1 four-star (ESPN top 100) and 3 3-stars), but things could be real ugly in LA next year.

I never really understood all the Enfield love when that hire was made. He went 15-17 at FGCU, then 26-11 with an improbable sweet sixteen run. Seemed like a "flash in the pan" type coach.

I see the league having 4 pretty bad teams next year in USC, Wazzu (who also recently lost Woolridge), Oregon St (why did Moreland declare??), and ASU. ASU is still in the running for a lot of D1 graduate transfers and if they land a couple they could be a slight step above these other 3. They're also hoping McKissick is granted another year of eligibility.

One last comment... I wonder if "JuJu" is regreting his decision now. I know I'm glad he didn't stick with his commitment here, mainly because if he had we probably wouldn't have pursued Delon.

The Enfield hire was a terrible one at the time. Why not hire Archie Miller? USC basketball is a sleeping giant (ala UCLA football three years ago). I hope it stays that way.

SeattleUte
04-17-2014, 09:30 AM
I actually have to agree with a lot of this. But, it's not a bad thing - being in the top half of the Pac on a regular basis is what we should shoot for. We are not UCLA or Arizona. But we do have a population that is basketball-hungry, unlike Eugene, Phoenix, etc, and supports the team pretty well (except when we really suck). That helps recruiting too. I think long-term, Utah is clearly less desirable than Arizona, UCLA, UW, and Oregon (while the Nike money is flowing), but we are on the same page as ASU, USC, and Colorado.

That Arizona has kept on trucking after Lou has really surprised me. It's an indictment of Chris Hill.

sancho
04-17-2014, 10:21 AM
That Arizona has kept on trucking after Lou has really surprised me. It's an indictment of Chris Hill.

You win some, you lose some. It's not an indictment of anything.

SoCalPat
04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
You win some, you lose some. It's not an indictment of anything.

Hill shares in the blame, although probably not the lion's share of it. I liked Ray Giacoletti and thought he was the victim of a lot of bad luck at Utah, but there's no way the hiring process ever should have gotten to him, much less for him to actually be hired.

LA Ute
04-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I will never believe that Utah basketball's cieling is any lower than Arizona's. If they can do that in Tucson, we can sure as [heck] do it in Salt Lake. Of course, having Lute Olson for 24 years helps.

For some perspective, not that even Lute only made the Final Four 4 times in that 24-year span. That is a great record; just shows how hard it is to get that far. He made the Dance in 23 of his 24 years, missing only in his first season. We could have had a similar record if Majerus had stayed at Utah, stayed healthy and focused. With PAC-12 membership, the new facilities, and the right coach, we can have a national-caliber basketball program.

Applejack
04-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Hill shares in the blame, although probably not the lion's share of it. I liked Ray Giacoletti and thought he was the victim of a lot of bad luck at Utah, but there's no way the hiring process ever should have gotten to him, much less for him to actually be hired.

On this we definitely disagree. Giac was a nice guy, but WAY out of his league. He simply didn't know how to coach/evaluate talent/gameplan, etc.

I will never believe that Utah basketball's cieling is any lower than Arizona's. If they can do that in Tucson, we can sure as [heck] do it in Salt Lake. Of course, having Lute Olson for 24 years helps.

For some perspective, not that even Lute only made the Final Four 4 times in that 24-year span. That is a great record; just shows how hard it is to get that far. He made the Dance in 23 of his 24 years, missing only in his first season. We could have had a similar record if Majerus had stayed at Utah, stayed healthy and focused. With PAC-12 membership, the new facilities, and the right coach, we can have a national-caliber basketball program.

We aren't catching Arizona. AU knows where its sport's bread is buttered. Basketball is big down there. And most college basketball players would prefer Tucson to Salt Lake. Sorry, SLC is just kind of boring.

sancho
04-17-2014, 11:54 AM
We aren't catching Arizona. AU knows where its sport's bread is buttered. Basketball is big down there. And most college basketball players would prefer Tucson to Salt Lake. Sorry, SLC is just kind of boring.

That's right, they have the biosphere. It's an important part of official recruiting visits.

LA Ute
04-17-2014, 11:59 AM
We aren't catching Arizona. AU knows where its sport's bread is buttered. Basketball is big down there.

Not saying we catch them, only that if they can do well from their base, so can we.

And most college basketball players would prefer Tucson to Salt Lake. Sorry, SLC is just kind of boring.

This is just crazy talk. Have you ever spent much time in Tucson? (No need to apologize for dissing Salt Lake, I haven't lived there in 30+ years.)

sancho
04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
This is just crazy talk. Have you ever spent much time in Tucson?

Sounds like LA has never toured the biosphere.

Applejack
04-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Not saying we catch them, only that if they can do well from their base, so can we.

This is just crazy talk. Have you ever spent much time in Tucson? (No need to apologize for dissing Salt Lake, I haven't lived there in 30+ years.)

I have never been there. But I assume it's warm. If I'm HotShotRecruit and choosing between (1) boring city that is warm and (2) boring city that is cold, I take #1.

Applejack
04-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Sounds like LA has never toured the biosphere.

That is a smart move on AU's part. We should take recruits to the 49th Street Galleria.

sancho
04-17-2014, 01:10 PM
We should take recruits to the 49th Street Galleria.

Float in the lake!

Applejack
04-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Float in the lake!

Get some salt water taffy!~

Diehard Ute
04-17-2014, 01:11 PM
That is a smart move on AU's part. We should take recruits to the 49th Street Galleria.

Since it's under construction to become a charter school (the glass towers and front have been demolished) I don't know that would impress.

Applejack
04-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Since it's under construction to become a charter school (the glass towers and front have been demolished) I don't know that would impress.

Ack! Where do teens go for one-stop shopping of mini-golf and balloon animals?

Diehard Ute
04-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Ack! Where do teens go for one-stop shopping of mini-golf and balloon animals?

Provo. (The Galleria hasn't been open for a decade plus)

Applejack
04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Provo. (The Galleria hasn't been open for a decade plus)

No wonder our recruiting has dried up lately.

LA Ute
04-17-2014, 02:25 PM
I have never been there. But I assume it's warm. If I'm HotShotRecruit and choosing between (1) boring city that is warm and (2) boring city that is cold, I take #1.

It's not just the climate.... Nothing wrong with Tucson. I'm just saying if Arizona can attract great players there we can attract them to SLC. Recruiting is about more than the town, of course, but competing with Arizona for recruits in that regard should not be a problem. In my relatively humble opinion, of course.

justaute
04-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Oh great...this place is now turning into UFN.

DrumNFeather
04-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Jordan Adams is returning for his junior season.

SoCalPat
04-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Utah's population today is what Arizona's was in 1980. We can debate endlessly the finer points of Tucson vs. Salt Lake City, but the bottom line is this: More people emigrating west have found Arizona more desirable than Utah. I am going to assume this is spread amongst all demographics and that there is a pronounced spillover effect amongst recruitable athletes. In fact, in no decade from the start of the 20th century has Utah seen a greater growth in population than Arizona. The U of A's base is significantly greater than Utah's. That will lead to much greater success, long-term.

One more point: Arizona was at rock bottom when it hired Lute away from Iowa, where he had some pretty good success. Could Utah ever pull off a similar hire? I have strong doubts we could.

LA Ute
04-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Utah's population today is what Arizona's was in 1980. We can debate endlessly the finer points of Tucson vs. Salt Lake City, but the bottom line is this: More people emigrating west have found Arizona more desirable than Utah. I am going to assume this is spread amongst all demographics and that there is a pronounced spillover effect amongst recruitable athletes. In fact, in no decade from the start of the 20th century has Utah seen a greater growth in population than Arizona. The U of A's base is significantly greater than Utah's. That will lead to much greater success, long-term.

I think I am supposed to say, "Oh, in that case never mind." But I guess I won't just yet. Salt Lake City is a more attractive place to live and go to school than Tucson. It is at least as attractive, except for recruits who dislike the cold. UA certainly wins in that department. State population doesn't decide this argument, by the way.

Scratch
04-17-2014, 05:37 PM

One more point: Arizona was at rock bottom when it hired Lute away from Iowa, where he had some pretty good success. Could Utah ever pull off a similar hire? I have strong doubts we could.

From 2009-2015, U of A has not picked up a single player from Arizona. Demographics, from a recruiting standpoint, are a non-issue for Arizona's current success.

Edit: I missed Daniel Bejarano, who apparently never played for Arizona before transferring to CSU, where he had a pretty good year last year.

SeattleUte
04-17-2014, 10:48 PM
From 2009-2015, U of A has not picked up a single player from Arizona. Demographics, from a recruiting standpoint, are a non-issue for Arizona's current success.

Edit: I missed Daniel Bejarano, who apparently never played for Arizona before transferring to CSU, where he had a pretty good year last year.

All it takes is a really great coach. There is no reason that Arizona should have a top 5 program year in and year out and probably ultimately a top 5 tradition other than the coaches it has hired. It had no tradition before Lute Olsen. None. Hardly any conference championships or NCAA appearances, no Final Fours, etc. Adolph Rupp did the same thing at Kentucky, just as Phog Allen did it at Kansas. Now Arizona is considered a permier job and its elite coach regularly attracts top ten recruits to Arizona who come because of 1) the coach and 2) the tradition. Tuscon is irrelevant.

Utah has been blessed with some very good coaches but none in the class of Lute Olsen. Rick Majerus could have done something similar at Utah, but he didn't win a national championship, which makes a big difference. Also, his personal flaws and conflicts with Hill and the LDS press who misunderstood him and favored BYU prevented that from occurring. I also think that while Majerus was a mad scientist kind of genius he was no Lute Olsen. He couldn't recruit like Lute Olsen, and frankly Majerus was too tormented, too much of a curmudgeon, too strange, too fat, and his health was too poor. He wasn't constituted to build a dynasty that outlasted him.

I agee 100% with Pat that Jack Gardner benefitted from being ahead of his time in recruiting blacks, as did John Wooden and Don Haskins. (I think Pat got this form me as I've been saying it for years and haven't seen it anywhere else.) Gardner could have had the lasting impact that Olsen has had at Arizona. But he probably didn't have quite enough success -- he needed to win at least one national title. Also, we had to start to compete with better situated schools for blacks, and the LDS Church gave Utah a bad reputation as a place tolerant of blacks and I'm sure our competitors pitched that against us when they recruited.

It's the coach, stupids. Not whether Salt Lake city is a nicer place than Tuscon. However, Salt Lake's negative publicity that makes it seem too white, too insular, etc. because of the LDS church has always limited our ability to find that special coach. And of course Utah doesn't own the instate talent except the occasional loss to Duke, Stanford or UCLA, as it should, because of BYU. We've done amazing things considering the challenges.

SoCalPat
04-17-2014, 10:59 PM

Au contraire. Arizona is a bigger school with more alumni in a more populated state, which leads to more donations. It had bigger local media deals than Utah, which leads to more money that it can funnel into recruiting and for coaches. That Arizona doesn't have a single Arizonan on its roster emphatically backs up what I've been saying all along -- UA hoops is in a much different league than Utah. It doesn't need it's own in-state talent in order to be a national player.

Such a mindset -- ignoring the state -- will absolutely never happen at Utah. Not just because it would never fly with the High Priest Quorum segment of Utah fans, but because we do not have the resources Arizona has. That's not to say we cannot be as good or better in stretches than Arizona, but year in year out? The change for that to happen could be decades away, and might not ever happen.

SeattleUte
04-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Au contraire. Arizona is a bigger school with more alumni in a more populated state, which leads to more donations. It had bigger local media deals than Utah, which leads to more money that it can funnel into recruiting and for coaches. That Arizona doesn't have a single Arizonan on its roster emphatically backs up what I've been saying all along -- UA hoops is in a much different league than Utah. It doesn't need it's own state in order to be a national player.

Such a mindset -- ignoring the state -- will absolutely never happen at Utah. Not just because it would never fly with the High Priest Quorum segment of Utah fans, but because we do not have the resources Arizona has. That's not to say we cannot be as good or better in stretches than Arizona, but year in year out? The change for that to happen could be decades away, and might not ever happen.

Could Lute Olsen have accomplished at Utah what he did at Arizona? Probably not; he'd have started with more tradition and better players, but Arizona was in the Pac 10. We're in the Pac 12 now but we can't get a Lute Olsen because of who we are. A Lute Olsen wouldn't come here because Utah still has some of those hold recruiting challenges.

SoCalPat
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I think I am supposed to say, "Oh, in that case never mind." But I guess I won't just yet. Salt Lake City is a more attractive place to live and go to school than Tucson. It is at least as attractive, except for recruits who dislike the cold. UA certainly wins in that department. State population doesn't decide this argument, by the way.

Well, if Utah hoops is recruiting 60-year old white males, I guess your opinion here carries weight on the subject. Since Utah hoops is not, it's just that -- your opinion. I want to know what 17- and 18-year old black teenagers and their parents think, and I want to cater to that.

It's not universal that warmth is preferred to cold, but the shifts in population in this country certainly suggest warm crushes cold by a wide margin. That's not to say you cannot get recruits to play in cold-weather states, but it does say a lot as to why eight of the 10 smallest states in population are cold weather states. It's also why you'll never see North Dakota or Vermont get to the Sweet 16, much less win a national championship. With people comes money, and there just aren't enough people in those states for them to compete at the top end of collegiate athletics. It's also a big reason why Arizona should be able to maintain a loftier perch than Utah over time. It will always have the larger population and more alumni, which leads to more money.

SoCalPat
04-17-2014, 11:31 PM
Could Lute Olsen have accomplished at Utah what he did at Arizona? Probably not; he'd have started with more tradition and better players, but Arizona was in the Pac 10. We're in the Pac 12 now but we can't get a Lute Olsen because of who we are. A Lute Olsen wouldn't come here because Utah still has some of those hold recruiting challenges.

The great question I want answered about Utah hoops is this: How in the hell did we get Bill Foster to come to Utah from Rutgers? Talk about a culture shock. And at the first sign of success, he bolted to Duke, which was a nice little program in the 1970s, nothing close to the monster it is today. Lute stayed in Arizona for 25 years; our modern HOF coach couldn't stop cracking jokes about how weird Utah was and flirting with every job under the sun. I've resigned myself to the fact that Utah hoops will always have an identity crisis that keeps it from being permanently relevant on the national scene, and if you were OK with going 32 years between Final Fours, then that isn't such a hard reality to accept.

SeattleUte
04-17-2014, 11:58 PM
The great question I want answered about Utah hoops is this: How in the hell did we get Bill Foster to come to Utah from Rutgers? Talk about a culture shock. And at the first sign of success, he bolted to Duke, which was a nice little program in the 1970s, nothing close to the monster it is today. Lute stayed in Arizona for 25 years; our modern HOF coach couldn't stop cracking jokes about how weird Utah was and flirting with every job under the sun. I've resigned myself to the fact that Utah hoops will always have an identity crisis that keeps it from being permanently relevant on the national scene, and if you were OK with going 32 years between Final Fours, then that isn't such a hard reality to accept.

Hard to believe we're halfway to another 32. I hope we get one in the next 16. What are the odds?

LA Ute
04-18-2014, 12:20 AM
Well, if Utah hoops is recruiting 60-year old white males, I guess your opinion here carries weight on the subject. Since Utah hoops is not, it's just that -- your opinion. I want to know what 17- and 18-year old black teenagers and their parents think, and I want to cater to that.

Looks like we have two battling opinions -- yours and mine. How odd for a sport message board! And I'm not 60 yet, you ageist. I have only anecdotal data on what the kids you describe really want in a city. I can think of one AA former player from L.A. who told me that what drew him to Utah was "the town," Salt Lake. He saw it as clean and friendly and someplace he could feel safe, unlike his home town. But that's just one guy. Anyway, "never" is a long time. Be careful about using that word when predicting the future.

A question: Why shouldn't fans and boosters think in terms of possibilities and lofty aspirations? The dream always precedes the reality. But you seem to want to set limits. The U. is a university on the rise. If you don't think so, take a tour of campus like I did yesterday.

SU, your irresistible impulse to blame all of Utah's challenges on the LDS church is adorable.

SeattleUte
04-18-2014, 12:33 AM
SU, your irresistible impulse to blame all of Utah's challenges on the LDS church is adorable.

Isn't it obvious that if you take away the LDS Church Salt Lake City looks a lot like Tuscon.

LA Ute
04-18-2014, 12:36 AM
Isn't it obvious that if you take away the LDS Church Salt Lake City looks a lot like Tuscon.

Yes, and that would not be a good thing. And the U.of U. would look a lot like the U. of Wyoming.

Scratch
04-18-2014, 10:14 AM
UConn tends to fly in the face of a lot of this. Connecticut's weather is much, much worse than Utah's, its population is only marginally larger than Utah's (and that gap will be closed completely soon), the U has a significantly larger undergrad population, Storrs is a craphole and the nearest big city makes Storrs look like a garden spot. Also, the "monied elites" in Connecticut are much, MUCH less likely to have ties to UConn than the "monied elites" in Utah.

The biggest differences are 1) the perceptions surrounding Utah and its culture, and 2) the fact that the recruits from the recruiting hotbeds in the Northeast are much more likely to be willing to accept bad weather.

SeattleUte
04-18-2014, 10:19 AM
UConn tends to fly in the face of a lot of this. Connecticut's weather is much, much worse than Utah's, its population is only marginally larger than Utah's (and that gap will be closed completely soon), the U has a significantly larger undergrad population, Storrs is a craphole and the nearest big city makes Storrs look like a garden spot. Also, the "monied elites" in Connecticut are much, MUCH less likely to have ties to UConn than the "monied elites" in Utah.

The biggest differences are 1) the perceptions surrounding Utah and its culture, and 2) the fact that the recruits from the recruiting hotbeds in the Northeast are much more likely to be willing to accept bad weather.

Also, UConn has essentially become the college basketball power in the NYC area. It used to be St. John's. Yes, I'm using NYC area liberally, but UConn has recruiting advantages like UCLA and USC has, and LA and NY each should have at least one great program.

Scratch
04-18-2014, 10:21 AM
Also, UConn has essentially become the college basketball power in the NYC area. It used to be St. John's. Yes, I'm using NYC area liberally, but UConn has recruiting advantages like UCLA and USC has, and LA and NY each should have at least one great program.

Syracuse, but UConn isn't far off.

FountainOfUte
04-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I am going to assume this is spread amongst all demographics...

For whatever this is worth (probably nothing) in my own experience of living in Phoenix from '02-'07 I noticed that transplants (no matter when they arrived) we're heavily represented in these categories: older, white, from the upper midwest -- tons of fans of B1G teams. The various bowls in PHX loved getting B1G schools in town because not only do they travel well to AZ, many already lived there.

sancho
04-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Storrs is a craphole

The only craphole in Connecticut is New Haven. Maybe Hartford. Storrs is nice. It's just very rural.

Anyway, the point is valid - it's not geography. It's history. For a while, the Big East was NCAA basketball, and UConn was able to get lucky and win for a while during that era.

Upward mobility in college football and basketball is very hard. But once you are an elite program, you stay an elite program for a long time. It's the kings, dukes, counts, knights, peasants tiers that Steward Mandel likes to use.

SeattleUte
04-18-2014, 12:22 PM
Syracuse, but UConn isn't far off.

UConn isn't closer to NYC than Syracuse? Conn is essentially an NYC suburb.

sancho
04-18-2014, 12:25 PM

I don't think it's about distance. It's about who New Yorkers root for.

SeattleUte
04-18-2014, 12:27 PM

That would be UConn more than Syracuse.

concerned
04-18-2014, 12:45 PM

its more of a Boston/New England suburub, at least when I lived back there. Fariefield County, New Haven, Bridgeport, think of themselves tied to New York and are Yankee fans, go further north and inland and they think of themselves as New Englanders and red Sox Pats Celtics fans.\

I cant think that UConn will keep its level ef excellence in bball. Without the Big East, and all it rivals now in the ACC, it isgoing to be a long painful demise in both football and basketball.

sancho
04-18-2014, 12:52 PM
its more of a Boston/New England suburub, at least when I lived back there. Fariefield County, New Haven, Bridgeport, think of themselves tied to New York and are Yankee fans, go further north and inland and they think of themselves as New Englanders and red Sox Pats Celtics fans.

That was my experience when I lived there too.

Scratch
04-18-2014, 12:58 PM
The only craphole in Connecticut is New Haven. Maybe Hartford. Storrs is nice. It's just very rural.

You need to spend more time in Connecticut. New Haven is a craphole. Bridgeport is New Haven, but without Yale. Hartford is a total craphole, and just about everything between Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford are crapholes. Connecticut has some really amazingly nice spots, but there are lots of extremes.

Scratch
04-18-2014, 01:04 PM

Yes it's closer, but New Yorkers are much more tied to Syracuse than UConn, both as fans and as a draw for recruits. And parts of Connecticut are NY suburbs, but certainly not Storrs, which is much closer to Boston.

Yes, root for and affiliate with.

That would be UConn more than Syracuse.

Definitely not, and it's not close.

its more of a Boston/New England suburub, at least when I lived back there. Fariefield County, New Haven, Bridgeport, think of themselves tied to New York and are Yankee fans, go further north and inland and they think of themselves as New Englanders and red Sox Pats Celtics fans.\

This is exactly right. New Haven is essentially the border between New York loyalties and New England loyalties.

FountainOfUte
04-18-2014, 03:07 PM

I thought New Haven had some really nice and beutiful elements, not least of which was Yale. Now, Bridgeport on the other hand....

sancho
04-18-2014, 03:07 PM
You need to spend more time in Connecticut. New Haven is a craphole. Bridgeport is New Haven, but without Yale. Hartford is a total craphole, and just about everything between Bridgeport, New Haven, and Hartford are crapholes. Connecticut has some really amazingly nice spots, but there are lots of extremes.

Right. That's what I said. Everything in the southwest is basically a bad suburb of NYC. There is a gradual betterment as you go north or east. Storrs is a nice place, but it feels like the middle of nowhere.

Bridgeport is New Haven, but without Yale.

So, a little better then New Haven?

FountainOfUte
04-18-2014, 03:13 PM

I noticed this living in various parts of Connecticut during my LDS mission. You can draw a line almost down the middle of the state dividing it east and west. On the east, where Storrs is, you see a lot of Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, and Bruins representation. On the west it's all Yankees, Giants, Knicks, and Rangers.

311ute
04-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Hallice Cooke is transferring from Oregon St.

That program is a complete dumpster fire right now... they'll be really bad next year. With Moreland's and Cooke's departures, they lose their 5 best players.

Unfortunately we only play them once next year.

Dawminator
04-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Jordan Adams changed his mind and is now going to enter the draft.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10847174/jordan-adams-ucla-bruins-changes-mind-enter-2014-nba-draft

I think with Dinwiddie and now Adams Utah should be picked at no worst to finish top 4 in the league and I think second place finish would not be unreasonable either.

Applejack
04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Jordan Adams changed his mind and is now going to enter the draft.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10847174/jordan-adams-ucla-bruins-changes-mind-enter-2014-nba-draft

I think with Dinwiddie and now Adams Utah should be picked at no worst to finish top 4 in the league and I think second place finish would not be unreasonable either.

LOL at the bRuins. They will still reload with a crazy recruiting class, but losing three guys to the draft is hard.

U-Ute
04-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Lot of talent leaving the Pac-12, some early, some not. pic.twitter.com/MRYe7ivrFg (http://t.co/MRYe7ivrFg)

That is an insane amount of talent.

sancho
05-05-2014, 08:32 AM
OSU fires Robinson.

Scorcho
05-05-2014, 09:24 AM
OSU fires Robinson.

seems like they waited a long time, their seasons been over for 6 weeks

FountainOfUte
05-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Curious timing, for sure. It certainly begs the question about what they have in mind.

UtahsMrSports
05-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Downright bizzare timing. you wait until spring signing is wrapping up?

On another note, Oregon has now lost Artis, Austin, and Dotson could be next. Incredible.

With all of the transfers and early entries across the conference and what not, can it be reasonably stated that Utah will be battling UCLA for #2 in conference this coming year?

sancho
05-05-2014, 01:07 PM
With all of the transfers and early entries across the conference and what not, can it be reasonably stated that Utah will be battling UCLA for #2 in conference this coming year?

Here's a nice summary of where the conference teams are:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/98830/pac-12-basketball-is-rocky-right-now

The tiers for 2014-15:

Tier 1: Arizona

Tier 2: UCLA, Utah, Stanford, Oregon, Colorado

Tier 3: USC, UW, ASU, Cal

Tier 4: OSU, WSU

#2 in the conference is definitely up for grabs.

LA Ute
10-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Here's the PAC-12 Hoops breakdown of UCLA for 2014-15:

http://pachoops.com/2014/10/ucla-bruins-basketball-preview-steve-alfords-ucla/

Pachoops
10-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Here's the PAC-12 Hoops breakdown of UCLA for 2014-15:

http://pachoops.com/2014/10/ucla-bruins-basketball-preview-steve-alfords-ucla/

Thanks for the link, we are of course working on one for Utah as well.

LA Ute
10-22-2014, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the link, we are of course working on one for Utah as well.

We like your site!

U-Ute
12-08-2014, 10:34 AM
I watched most of the Arizona/Gonzaga game. What a fun game to watch.

Arizona has the size, length, and athleticism to compete with anyone, but they lack shooting. This is where they are missing Nick Johnson the most. I'm surprised that Hollis-Jefferson hasn't stepped up in this regard. McConnell has struggled in that role.

Gonzaga looks really good too. They have size and play physical and have shooters in Pangos and Wiljter. Wiltjer can put the ball in the hoop with any kind of shot it seems.

chrisrenrut
12-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Arizona losing to UNLV by 3 with about 2 minutes left.

chrisrenrut
12-23-2014, 10:32 PM
Arizona goes down. Not sure how to feel about this.

UtahsMrSports
12-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Helps us for the moment. In the end its probably a wash. But i have hope ww can beat those arizona guys at home.

LA Ute
12-23-2014, 11:07 PM

It was probably a trap game for AZ. Still, I'm hoping we split with them this season (at least) and that we sweep USC and UCLA.

SoCalPat
12-23-2014, 11:10 PM

I know how I feel about it. It's a damn shame UNLV ain't in the PAC 12.

SeattleUte
12-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Helps us for the moment. In the end its probably a wash. But i have hope ww can beat those arizona guys at home.

What do you mean? There's nothing but good about this. We beat UNLV in Vegas, and UNLV beat Arizona, ranked no. 3 in the country. It will help us get an NCAA invitation/better seeding. And we still get to play Arizona twice. The premise of your response seems to assume we'll beat Arizona. We might not. But if we do, we'll likely be in the top tier of the pac 12 or Pac 12 champs. in any event, this makes AZ look mortal and gives our guys a shot of confidence. It's a total plus, just as a BYU victory over Gonzaga would be.

sancho
12-24-2014, 07:31 AM
It's a total plus, just as a BYU victory over Gonzaga would be.

Nope. BYU over Gonzaga is a minus in every possible way for us other than a meaningless and tiny RPI bump.

This Utah team is already in the tournament. We don't have to worry about it.

chrisrenrut
12-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Nope. BYU over Gonzaga is a minus in every possible way for us other than a meaningless and tiny RPI bump.

This Utah team is already in the tournament. We don't have to worry about it.

But we do have to worry about seeding and placement.

I guess this makes me more of a UNLV fan for the rest of the year. If they can do well, it strengthens our win against them, and as a bonus, lessens the loss to Arizona.

sancho
12-24-2014, 07:43 AM
But we do have to worry about seeding and placement.

I guess this makes me more of a UNLV fan for the rest of the year. If they can do well, it strengthens our win against them, and as a bonus, lessens the loss to Arizona.

I'm fine with that. Go UNLV. But I'm not about to start pulling for BYU just to get a slightly better seed. We have plenty of chances to grab a good seed in conference play.

LA Ute
12-24-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm fine with that. Go UNLV. But I'm not about to start pulling for BYU just to get a slightly better seed. We have plenty of chances to grab a good seed in conference play.

Right. It doesn't help us if BYU basketball looks like a credible, big-time program. LDS All-Stars is better.

sancho
12-24-2014, 08:00 AM
Right. It doesn't help us if BYU basketball looks like a credible, big-time program. LDS All-Stars is better.

Especially since Frank Jackson is on the line. This would be a great year for BYU to miss the tournament. Unfortunately, they got their Stanford win, and traditionally, one decent OOC win is enough for a 20-win mid-major to get in.

SeattleUte
12-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Oh brother. Like devout LDS recruits matter that much or they're ever up for grabs between BYU and Utah. We get everything north of Alpine that matters and generally always have except for the ones that go out of state. Certainly no AA kid should go to BYU, or he needs a history lesson.

The accumulation of "quality wins" means a lot. I want BYU to be one of them. And I don't like Gonzaga.

sancho
12-24-2014, 09:48 AM
Oh brother. Like devout LDS recruits matter that much or they're ever up for grabs between BYU and Utah. We get everything north of Alpine that matters and generally always have except for the ones that go out of state. Certainly no AA kid should go to BYU, or he needs a history lesson.

The accumulation of "quality wins" means a lot. I want BYU to be one of them. And I don't like Gonzaga.

It's more than just the recruit - I want him but assume he will either go to Duke or BYU (think carefully, Frank, there is a clear right answer between those two). It's more about just not wanting anything good to happen to BYU. I'm more than happy to sacrifice one quality win if it means they lose a bunch of games.

U-Ute
12-25-2014, 06:45 PM
It's more than just the recruit - I want him but assume he will either go to Duke or BYU (think carefully, Frank, there is a clear right answer between those two). It's more about just not wanting anything good to happen to BYU. I'm more than happy to sacrifice one quality win if it means they lose a bunch of games.

Anyone who has to decide whether to play basketball for Duke or BYU probably isn't smart enough to play for Duke.

chrisrenrut
12-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Washington loses to Stony Brook at home, 62-57. They drop to 21 in the AP poll.

Their RPI is 41, and their SOS is 191.

Applejack
12-29-2014, 12:49 PM

Cheering for BYU should never be based on things like RPI. Cheering for BYU is cheering for fascism, sexism, homophobia, and ankle-length skirts. I'm surprised you, of all people, need to hear this from me.

SeattleUte
12-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Washington loses to Stony Brook at home, 62-57. They drop to 21 in the AP poll.

Their RPI is 41, and their SOS is 191.

I'm not surprised at all. UW had played all games but one at home. It had one quality win, at home vs. SDS. A hugely overrated and undercoached team.

sancho
01-02-2015, 08:02 AM
The Pac-12 power ranking as we head into conference play:

1) Arizona. Beat Mizzou, KState, SDSU, Gonzaga, Michigan. Lost to UNLV
2) Utah. Beat UNLV, BYU, Wichita. Lost to SDSU and Kansas.
3) UW. Beat SDSU and Oklahoma. Lost to Stony Brook.
4) Stanford. Beat UNLV and Texas. Lost to BYU, DePaul, and Duke.
5) Cal. Beat Syracuse. Lost to Texas, Wisconsin, and Cal-St Bakersfield
6) Oregon. Beat Illinois. Lost to Michigan, VCU, and Ole Miss.
7) USC. Beat New Mexico, USU, and BC. Lost to Army, Penn State, Akron, and Portland State.
8) OSU. Beat Miss State. Lost to Okie St, Auburn, and Quinnipiac.
9) ASU. Beat UNLV. Lost to Maryland, Alabama, A&M, Marquette, and Lehigh.
10) UCLA. Beat nobody. Lost to Oklahoma, UNC, Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Alabama.
11) Colorado. Beat Auburn. Lost to Wyoming, Georgia, CSU, GW, and Hawaii
12) Wazzu. Beat nobody. Lost to UTEP, TCU, UCSB, Idaho, Gonzaga, and Santa Clara.

Applejack
01-02-2015, 08:05 AM
The Pac-12 power ranking as we head into conference play:

1) Arizona. Beat Mizzou, KState, SDSU, Gonzaga, Michigan. Lost to UNLV
2) Utah. Beat UNLV, BYU, Wichita. Lost to SDSU and Kansas.
3) UW. Beat SDSU and Oklahoma. Lost to Stony Brook.
4) Stanford. Beat UNLV and Texas. Lost to BYU, DePaul, and Duke.
5) Cal. Beat Syracuse. Lost to Texas, Wisconsin, and Cal-St Bakersfield
6) Oregon. Beat Illinois. Lost to Michigan, VCU, and Ole Miss.
7) USC. Beat New Mexico, USU, and BC. Lost to Army, Penn State, Akron, and Portland State.
8) OSU. Beat Miss State. Lost to Okie St, Auburn, and Quinnipiac.
9) ASU. Beat UNLV. Lost to Maryland, Alabama, A&M, Marquette, and Lehigh.
10) UCLA. Beat nobody. Lost to Oklahoma, UNC, Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Alabama.
11) Colorado. Beat Auburn. Lost to Wyoming, Georgia, CSU, GW, and Hawaii
12) Wazzu. Beat nobody. Lost to UTEP, TCU, UCSB, Idaho, Gonzaga, and Santa Clara.

Yikes. When you put it that way, the Pac looks like a 3 bid conference. 4 max.

sancho
01-02-2015, 08:10 AM

Some of those teams will beat Utah, UW, and Arizona in conference play to add quality wins. The conference will get 4-5 in like usual. But it doesn't really matter, as long as we get in (and with a good seed).

U-Ute
01-02-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm not surprised at all. UW had played all games but one at home. It had one quality win, at home vs. SDS. A hugely overrated and undercoached team.

From what I have seen, this is UW's MO: strong starts, slow finishes. They are the Air Force of college basketball.

U-Ute
01-02-2015, 10:19 AM

That could be.

Cal is an enigma to me so far this season. Beating Syracuse in New York and nearly losing to Montana at home. Sadly we won't learn much against another inconsistent team in UW. Both have serious flaws right now.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Cal beats Washington tonight.

justaute
01-03-2015, 12:19 AM
It looked to be a good game. Although both teams are a bit of enigma, they will be tough.

Cal beats Washington tonight.

chrisrenrut
01-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Utah and Arizona are the only teams left undefeated after 1.5 weeks of PAC-12 play. Washington, who many said might challenge for the #2 spot, went 0-fer on their Bay Area roadie. Even Washington St, who looked to be the dregs this year, managed to pick up a road win in the Bay Area. There doesn't seem to be very many good teams in conference this year other than Arizona and Utah.

Applejack
01-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Utah and Arizona are the only teams left undefeated after 1.5 weeks of PAC-12 play. Washington, who many said might challenge for the #2 spot, went 0-fer on their Bay Area roadie. Even Washington St, who looked to be the dregs this year, managed to pick up a road win in the Bay Area. There doesn't seem to be very many good teams in conference this year other than Arizona and Utah.

This is a stinker of a year for PAC hoops. As strong as the football conference was, the basketball conference is really bad. The two Southern California teams that played at the Hunty last week were terrible - just bad basketball teams. I still think Stanford and Washington should make the tourney, but they need to put in some work. The rest of the conference is really in bad shape for the tourney.

That just means we can get fat on cream puffs@!

sancho
01-09-2015, 03:07 PM
This is a stinker of a year for PAC hoops. As strong as the football conference was, the basketball conference is really bad. The two Southern California teams that played at the Hunty last week were terrible - just bad basketball teams. I still think Stanford and Washington should make the tourney, but they need to put in some work. The rest of the conference is really in bad shape for the tourney.

Stanford just lost to UCLA! Hee hee!

Applejack
01-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Stanford just lost to UCLA! Hee hee!

Stanford's second best win (based on RPI) is Wofford. That's pretty neat.

SoCalPat
01-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Stanford's second best win (based on RPI) is Wofford. That's pretty neat.

Stanford is in bigger trouble when one realizes they only get Utah and Colorado once, and not at home. They do host Connecticut next Saturday, but the Huskies are pretty pedestrian this year (8-5, RPI 69)

SoCalPat
01-09-2015, 10:50 PM

I still put the O/U on league wins for Utah at 15.

Mormon Red Death
01-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Scenario: split with zona in regular season, maybe one other road loss, win the conference tourney. Are we a 1 seed?

SoCalPat
01-10-2015, 06:55 PM
Wazzu beats Washington in Seattle. That is shaping up to be a tricky roadie -- UW is clearly unpredictable while Ernie Kent might turn out to be a good hire for Wazzu.

SoCalPat
01-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Scenario: split with zona in regular season, maybe one other road loss, win the conference tourney. Are we a 1 seed?

Doubtful. Kentucky is a 1. So is the ACC champ. Likely Wisconsin. Your ACC runner-up is going to have to lose 4-5 games before Utah could overtake them.

I think our ceiling is a 2 seed. I would say the same applies to Arizona as well.

sancho
01-10-2015, 07:31 PM
I think our ceiling is a 2 seed. I would say the same applies to Arizona as well.

Kentucky and Duke are the only two worth betting on at this point. The other two 1-seeds are still up for grabs, and there are 20 or so teams still in the running. Utah and Arizona have not been eliminated yet. If we win out, we would almost certainly have a 1-seed. That's obviously unlikely, but I'll keep hoping until we are out.

SoCalPat
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Kentucky and Duke are the only two worth betting on at this point. The other two 1-seeds are still up for grabs, and there are 20 or so teams still in the running. Utah and Arizona have not been eliminated yet. If we win out, we would almost certainly have a 1-seed. That's obviously unlikely, but I'll keep hoping until we are out.

I just answered MRD's question, which was essentially: Would a 28-4 Utah team be a No. 1 seed? Of course if Utah wins out, it would be tough to imagine so many 30-2 teams out there that would squeeze us out of a 1 seed.

Given where the four teams I mentioned are at (didn't even mention Kansas, which is No. 1 in RPI and has two losses just like us), my scenario still holds. We're going to have to have Virginia or Duke lose a bunch of games. Anyone who aspires to be a No. 1 seed needs that to happen.

jrj84105
01-11-2015, 09:29 AM

It looks like the weakness of the PAC is going to hurt us from a NCAA seed perspective (too much strength in the ACC and BigXII). The trade off is that we should be able to rest our key guys more and let some of our guys (like Loveridge/Ogbe) pace their recoveries from injuries. I'll take that situation over what we had last year with guys being completely gassed heading into the NIT.

hostile
01-11-2015, 10:07 PM
OSU over AZ by 2. Looking forward to next weekend.

sancho
01-11-2015, 10:13 PM
OSU over AZ by 2. Looking forward to next weekend.

Utes alone in 1st place!

hostile
01-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Utes alone in 1st place!

:highfive:

LA Ute
01-11-2015, 10:48 PM
:jig:

SeattleUte
01-11-2015, 11:07 PM
It looks like the weakness of the PAC is going to hurt us from a NCAA seed perspective (too much strength in the ACC and BigXII). The trade off is that we should be able to rest our key guys more and let some of our guys (like Loveridge/Ogbe) pace their recoveries from injuries. I'll take that situation over what we had last year with guys being completely gassed heading into the NIT.

The Pac may not be as weak as everyone thinks it is. OSU looks like a team to reckon with.

UTEopia
01-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Utes alone in 1st place!

We have held serve by winning 3 home games. Important, no doubt, but the real test will be what we do on the road. We need to beat ASU because although Oregon St beat UA at home, UA will not roll over. If we come out of this road trip 1-1 I will be satisfied.

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 07:01 AM
We have held serve by winning 3 home games. Important, no doubt, but the real test will be what we do on the road. We need to beat ASU because although Oregon St beat UA at home, UA will not roll over. If we come out of this road trip 1-1 I will be satisfied.

We'd have a better shot at beating UA this week if they hadn't lost to OSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCalPat
01-12-2015, 08:38 AM

I would be thrilled with a 1-1 trip; I'll book my Final Four airfare if we go 2-0.

We can afford a road slip-up against a team below us in the standings, but probably no more. Arizona had three last year, but the league was so tough, everyone else had two home losses. Meanwhile, Arizona was the only team in the league to go undefeated at home.

SoCalPat
01-12-2015, 08:47 AM
Standings according to +/-, based on venue (+1 for a road win, 0 for a home win or road loss, -1 for a home loss)

Washington State +2
Arizona +1
Utah 0
Stanford 0
Colorado 0
UCLA 0
Arizona State 0
Oregon -1
Oregon State -1
Cal -1
USC -1
Washington -1

The interesting thing about our game against ASU is that we're the only team not to have played on the road, while ASU is the only team not to have played at home.

U-Ute
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
The Pac may not be as weak as everyone thinks it is. OSU looks like a team to reckon with.

The Montana coaching pipeline is alive and well.

LA Ute
01-12-2015, 04:41 PM
A PAC-12 Hoops post about Seattle Ute's favorite subject:

PacHoops Power Rankings: Signature Wins (http://pachoops.com/2015/01/pachoops-power-rankings-signature-wins/)

2) ARIZONALeading up to Arizona’s loss in Corvallis – as we were all chuckling at Gary Payton’s three keys to why (not even how but why) the Beavers would win – Kevin O’Neill repeatedly told us how little the Duke and Wisconsin losses meant. It was going to give “Mike” and “Bo” (I love how KO only uses first names) some opportunities to really coach. Conference road losses happen. He went so far as to say “it doesn’t mean anything” (and you wonder why people say CBB doesn’t matter outside March). I’m not entirely sure this one didn’t mean anything. We further saw that the Wildcats are flawed in ways that can be exploited.Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarczewski were not in the game for some of its biggest moments. Arizona – if it intends to be as good as they want to be – should not be adjusting to you. They make you adjust to them.
1) UTAHI’ve spent a few email exchanges and phone conversations explaining why I’ve kept Utah as the top team in the conference. The primary reason is that since starting moving into the slot, they’ve played the part. I was, in fact, fully prepared to have Arizona jump the Utes this week, expecting an Arizona sweep and perhaps a slight struggle against Colorado. Neither happened. In deconstructing the Buffs, Utah demonstrated their authority over their own style. They’ve jumped into KenPom’s top-10. You must take notice of their 6th ranked defense. Further, we’ve talked so much about Utah’s schedule this season – it’s been great, as a reminder – and the conference schedule has been no different. Three straight home games has a great way to start things off as they head to a trip to the desert.

Applejack
01-15-2015, 08:10 AM
Standings according to +/-, based on venue (+1 for a road win, 0 for a home win or road loss, -1 for a home loss)

Washington State +2
Stanford +2
Arizona +1
UCLA +1
Utah 0
Colorado 0
Arizona State 0
Oregon -1
Oregon State -1
Cal -1
Washington -1
USC -2

The interesting thing about our game against ASU is that we're the only team not to have played on the road, while ASU is the only team not to have played at home.

Updated above. Stanford looks like a contender.

SoCalPat
01-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Updated above. Stanford looks like a contender.

Chasson Randle got preseason AP A-A mention, while Delon didn't. Food for thought ...

DrumNFeather
01-15-2015, 08:57 PM
I like the highlights of Oregon St. vs. Washington with Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp sitting next to each other watching the game...how awesome!

Mormon Red Death
01-15-2015, 08:57 PM
Gp2 is going to be good

U-Ute
01-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Gp2 is going to be good

Yeah. He looks like he is going to be fun to watch.

chrisrenrut
01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
A lot of good PAC-12 games last night. Stanford played Arizona tough, but wilted at the end. I'm glad we get Stanford at home this year. Washington won at Colorado on a last second shot by Andrew2. Oregon St beat UCLA, the Beavers might be our toughest remaining road game. Oregon beats USC as expected. Arizona St blew out Cal. I'm a little surprised at how weak Cal looks, after a pretty good pre-conference performance.

Pac-12 Standings

TEAM

CONF

OVERALL

Arizona (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/12/arizona-wildcats)

5-1

17-2

Utah (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/254/utah-utes)

5-1

15-3

Stanford (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/24/stanford-cardinal)

4-2

13-5

Oregon St (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/204/oregon-st-beavers)

4-2

13-5

Washington (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/264/washington-huskies)

3-3

14-4

Oregon (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2483/oregon-ducks)

3-3

13-6

UCLA (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/26/ucla-bruins)

3-3

11-8

Washington St (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/265/washington-st-cougars)

3-3

9-9

Arizona St (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/9/arizona-st-sun-devils)

2-4

10-9

Colorado (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/38/colorado-buffaloes)

2-4

9-9

California (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/25/california-golden-bears)

1-5

11-8

USC (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/30/usc-trojans)

1-5

9-9

sancho
01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm glad we get Stanford at home this year.

Ugh, enough with the hysterical defeatism already!

U-Ute
01-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Arizona having difficulties at Stanford doesn't surprise me in the least. Road games are always going to be difficult. Few are gimmies. If you win, it is good. Winning by 10 or more is gravy. Which is why the big surprise to me is ASU beating Cal. It appears the bottom two are Colorado and Cal, whose Syracuse victory is looking more and more the outlier, not the norm. The top two are Arizona and Utah. Everyone else is, as PacHoops.com (http://pachoops.com/2015/01/week-4-pac-12-hoops-preview-state-of-the-pac/) puts it, the Middle Amoeba.

I still think we lose one more on the road. The real test will be beating Arizona at home, which I am confident we can do.

chrisrenrut
01-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Ugh, enough with the hysterical defeatism already!

Sounds like something a real cock would say ;)

http://www.nashvillescene.com/imager/i-got-a-little-red-rooster/b/story/1481741/3a6f/rjf_rooster.jpg

UtahsMrSports
01-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Arizona having difficulties at Stanford doesn't surprise me in the least. Road games are always going to be difficult. Few are gimmies. If you win, it is good. Winning by 10 or more is gravy. Which is why the big surprise to me is ASU beating Cal. It appears the bottom two are Colorado and Cal, whose Syracuse victory is looking more and more the outlier, not the norm. The top two are Arizona and Utah. Everyone else is, as PacHoops.com (http://pachoops.com/2015/01/week-4-pac-12-hoops-preview-state-of-the-pac/) puts it, the Middle Amoeba.

I still think we lose one more on the road. The real test will be beating Arizona at home, which I am confident we can do.

I think USC is safely in that bottom tier as well. I certainly think more of Colorado than of them.

Applejack
01-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Arizona +3
Washington State +1
Stanford +1
UCLA +1
Utah +1
Washington 0
Arizona State 0
Colorado -1
Oregon -1
Oregon State -1
USC -2
Cal -3

Here are the updated standings for home/road (-1 for home loss/+1 road win). We have a great chance to pick up a couple of points this week.

sancho
01-26-2015, 09:47 AM
Here are the updated standings for home/road (-1 for home loss/+1 road win). We have a great chance to pick up a couple of points this week.

At what point do we switch over to actual conference standings?

If we count UW as a bubble team (and the RPI is there), we are now 1-3 vs tournament locks and 1-0 vs bubble teams (I have dropped BYU from bubble status). We have 4 more (including Oregon State) regular season chances vs locks/bubbles - 2 at home, 2 on the road.

Applejack
01-26-2015, 09:59 AM

If we count UW as a bubble team (and the RPI is there), we are now 1-3 vs tournament locks and 1-0 vs bubble teams (I have dropped BYU from bubble status). We have 4 more (including Oregon State) regular season chances vs locks/bubbles - 2 at home, 2 on the road.

The +/- just shows who has done work in conference so far (Arizona). We are tough at home - I don't expect to have a close came until Arizona. But we need to go out and get it done on the road against some decent quality teams (UW, UCLA, OSU, ORegon, etc).

DrumNFeather
01-26-2015, 10:16 AM

After this weekend we hit the halfway point, I'd say we do it then!

311ute
01-26-2015, 03:03 PM
While we all know the conference isn't what it was the past 2 years, I found it interesting when looking at RPI rankings that no team is below the 150 mark, which is usually the threshold that’s considered a “bad loss”.

Pac 12 RPI rankings (teams ranked in the top 50, 100, 150):

2014-15: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 12
2013-14: top 50: 6, top 100: 8, top 150: 10
2012-13: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 9

UBlender
01-26-2015, 04:40 PM
While we all know the conference isn't what it was the past 2 years, I found it interesting when looking at RPI rankings that no team is below the 150 mark, which is usually the threshold that’s considered a “bad loss”.

Pac 12 RPI rankings (teams ranked in the top 50, 100, 150):

2014-15: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 12
2013-14: top 50: 6, top 100: 8, top 150: 10
2012-13: top 50: 4, top 100: 8, top 150: 9

That's one thing that goes unmentioned when talking about how the PAC 12 is down this year. Arizona is still Arizona and Utah is providing a very good #2, but 3-7 are down quite a bit from last year (Stanford may be good, I'm still not sure on them). BUT the bottom of the conference is better. The worst teams are probably USC, WSU, ASU and Cal in some order but each of those is at least a little scary on their home court. What's dragging the conference down this year is Colorado and UCLA being major disappointments and Washington being incredibly up and down (in other words, still coached by Romar).

justaute
01-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Robert Upshaw dismissed?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/1/26/7918653/washington-huskies-basketball-robert-upshaw-dismissed

DrumNFeather
01-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Robert Upshaw dismissed?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/1/26/7918653/washington-huskies-basketball-robert-upshaw-dismissed
Probably out late at the movies...right LA?

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Probably out late at the movies...right LA?

A prophet is not without honor except in his own land.

justaute
01-26-2015, 05:23 PM
The rumor is apparently drug related. For his own sake, I'm hopeful he will get his life in order. He certainly has a lot of upside on the court -- haven't seen anyone alter shots like he does in some time.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12232892/washington-huskies-dismiss-robert-upshaw-program-violation-team-rules

A prophet is not without honor except in his own land.

sancho
01-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Robert Upshaw dismissed?

I'm gonna cross UW off the bubble list now. That leaves us at 1-3 vs tournament teams, and 0-0 vs the bubble. We still have Stanford, Arizona, and @Oregon State as games vs possible tournament teams. I think we end up at 3-3 vs tournament teams (we beat Zona and Stanford), and OSU ends up on the wrong side of the bubble.

sancho
01-26-2015, 05:34 PM
BUT the bottom of the conference is better.

I don't really care about the bottom of the conference. The Big East used to use this argument against the MWC in football. Do I care that Cincy beat a 4-8 Rutgers team while TCU only beat a 2-10 New Mexico? No, I only care about quality wins and bad losses. This, in my opinion, is one of the big flaws of the computer ranking systems.

sancho
01-26-2015, 08:10 PM
Why not play a round robin in Pac-12 basketball? Home and away with every team would make a 22 game conference schedule. Why not add four conference games in Nev/Dec, drop 4 of the bad games, and play for a better conference title?

Solon
01-26-2015, 09:50 PM
The rumor is apparently drug related. For his own sake, I'm hopeful he will get his life in order. He certainly has a lot of upside on the court -- haven't seen anyone alter shots like he does in some time.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12232892/washington-huskies-dismiss-robert-upshaw-program-violation-team-rules
Aw crap. If he was just smoking weed (legally in Washington), what a lousy outcome.
I hope he can still find a way into the NBA.

NorthwestUteFan
01-26-2015, 10:33 PM
That is too bad. That us what got him booted from Fresno State.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Aw crap. If he was just smoking weed (legally in Washington), what a lousy outcome.

But against NCAA rules and school rules

You know the rules when you sign up. It's not that hard to stick to what you committed to do.

U-Ute
01-27-2015, 06:03 PM

If the rumors are true, then he'll fit right in.

Nuther Blunt Association.

UtahsMrSports
01-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Oregon State got walloped by Arizona State last night.

As of right now, I think that Arizona, Utah, and Stanford are NCAA locks and anyone else will either have to win it all, or get some serious help. Washington is technically on the fringes, (54 RPI), but will liekly fade even more now.

Applejack
01-29-2015, 12:06 PM
But against NCAA rules and school rules

You know the rules when you sign up. It's not that hard to stick to what you committed to do.

Diehard, I assume you had a hand in this arrest.

Your service to your city is commendable. Please make sure that Stanley Johnson doesn't accidentally have a kilo on him the night before the UofA game. We need to be safe.

Diehard Ute
01-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Diehard, I assume you had a hand in this arrest.

Your service to your city is commendable. Please make sure that Stanley Johnson doesn't accidentally have a kilo on him the night before the UofA game. We need to be safe.

Haha.

Honestly in all the years I've done this job now I haven't run into any visiting players in the course of work (be it pro or college)

Applejack
01-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Haha.

Honestly in all the years I've done this job now I haven't run into any visiting players in the course of work (be it pro or college)

That sounds like a dereliction of duty. Time to step it up.

By the way (and totally off topic), last Sunday I was at a get together with some friends (some mormons some not) when my friend's husband who is a DC police officer showed up. He was clearly on duty (with his partner) and he just hung around for an hour or so chatting and snacking with everyone. Is that some firable offense?

Diehard Ute
01-29-2015, 12:35 PM
That sounds like a dereliction of duty. Time to step it up.

By the way (and totally off topic), last Sunday I was at a get together with some friends (some mormons some not) when my friend's husband who is a DC police officer showed up. He was clearly on duty (with his partner) and he just hung around for an hour or so chatting and snacking with everyone. Is that some firable offense?

Probably not. I'd guess they took their lunch break.

A certain number of us can call out for a break if there aren't emergency calls holding.

Every department has different rules for things.

sancho
01-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Wazzu does us a favor and beats Stanford.

DrumNFeather
02-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Somehow I missed that Kerry Rupp is an assistant at Oregon St.

DrumNFeather
02-06-2015, 06:16 AM
With the results of last night, there is now a big logjam of 6-4 teams below us and Arizona. It'd sure be nice to stay above the fray!

Applejack
02-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Somehow I missed that Kerry Rupp is an assistant at Oregon St.

Wha? The Rupper is at Oregon State? The East High pipeline continues to deteriorate. My alma mater is really pooping the bed lately. Just wait until Parker Van Dyke returns!

Diehard Ute
02-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Wha? The Rupper is at Oregon State? The East High pipeline continues to deteriorate. My alma mater is really pooping the bed lately. Just wait until Parker Van Dyke returns!

They're spending too much time at the triangle and the McDonald's on 23rd and not enough time balling.

DrumNFeather
02-06-2015, 12:36 PM

I bet he plays the "what if" game in his head all the time about getting the Utah job after Majerus left.

Applejack
02-06-2015, 12:50 PM
I bet he plays the "what if" game in his head all the time about getting the Utah job after Majerus left.

I'm sure.

I have watched more Kerry Rupp coached basketball games than I care to remember (4 years at East plus half a season at the U). The guy is dynamite at skills development, conditioning, and implementing a system on offense and defense. He is a total disaster at game prep and in-game adjustments. Maybe he's overcome those faults by now, but he would have been a train wreck post-Majerus.

UtahsMrSports
02-06-2015, 12:56 PM
I'm sure.

I have watched more Kerry Rupp coached basketball games than I care to remember (4 years at East plus half a season at the U). The guy is dynamite at skills development, conditioning, and implementing a system on offense and defense. He is a total disaster at game prep and in-game adjustments. Maybe he's overcome those faults by now, but he would have been a train wreck post-Majerus.

Kind of like Giacoletti and Jimmer Boylen?

Scratch
02-06-2015, 01:13 PM
I'm sure.

You're exactly right about Rupp, except for the fact that he's horrible at skills development, conditioning, and implementing a system on offense and defense. Actually, I take that back; he's not totally worthless at conditioning. Other than that you were right on about his game prep and in-game adjustments.

concerned
02-06-2015, 01:23 PM
They're spending too much time at the triangle and the McDonald's on 23rd and not enough time balling.

I think my son has finally outgrown the late night Fridays and Saturdays at the Parley's McDonalds. i think it happened after a bunchj of steroid heads coming out of that 24 gym scared the daylights out of them and chased them all the way to Bonnevile golf course.

Applejack
02-06-2015, 01:28 PM

What is the "triangle?" In my day we chilled at Top Stop - that was living.

Applejack
02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
You're exactly right about Rupp, except for the fact that he's horrible at skills development, conditioning, and implementing a system on offense and defense. Actually, I take that back; he's not totally worthless at conditioning. Other than that you were right on about his game prep and in-game adjustments.

He had pretty good success at East without much talent. I think he's pretty good at teaching fundamentals, especially on defense. He would always lose in the state tournament, however, to teams that had simply scouted and prepared for the motion offense. He reminds me a lot of Giacoletti, actually: deer in headlights during games.

Diehard Ute
02-06-2015, 01:33 PM
What is the "triangle?" In my day we chilled at Top Stop - that was living.

The patch of grass at Oneida and Country Club. Mostly Highland kids but quite a few east (and out of area) kids too.