PDA

View Full Version : The Utes Went Down to Tucson, They Were Looking for a Game to Steal

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Thread title courtesy of SeattleUte.

History vs. Arizona

The Utes lead the all-time series with Arizona, 28-25 but have dropped seven in a row and 10 of the last 11 to the Wildcats.

Utah has not beaten Arizona since the 1998 NCAA Tournament. That game is memorable for Ute fans as they topped the defending national champions and advanced to the Final Four.

The Utes have not won in Tucson since 1986 but played the No. 3 Wildcats tough last season at the McKale Center before eventually falling, 60-57. Jordan Loveridge led the team in scoring with 17 points.

In the return trip to SLC, Jeremy Olsen, who did not play in the first contest, grabbed 12 points and six rebounds off the bench for Utah.

Rocker Ute
01-20-2014, 02:55 PM
I don't expect a win, but I also don't expect AZ to have a pretty game beating us. Expect it to be gritty and the lowest point total for the year for AZ. I've seen AZ play a few times now and I think they are an elite team, kind of like Utah's elite teams, in that they just simply play on a higher plane than all but maybe 3 or 4 teams out there. This will be a frustrating game for the up-and-downers who have their hopes up high after beating UCLA.

But on that downer of a note, I also wouldn't be completely surprised if Utah somehow did pull off a win, such is the nature of this team. If Loveridge and Wright contribute their usual and a combo of Taylor, Tucker and Ogbe can shoot like they've done against Cal and UCLA we might be surprised. Given that we haven't been able to hit the broad side of a barn in any of our road games... don't hold your breath.

SeattleUte
01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
I don't expect a win, but I also don't expect AZ to have a pretty game beating us. Expect it to be gritty and the lowest point total for the year for AZ. I've seen AZ play a few times now and I think they are an elite team, kind of like Utah's elite teams, in that they just simply play on a higher plane than all but maybe 3 or 4 teams out there. This will be a frustrating game for the up-and-downers who have their hopes up high after beating UCLA.

But on that downer of a note, I also wouldn't be completely surprised if Utah somehow did pull off a win, such is the nature of this team. If Loveridge and Wright contribute their usual and a combo of Taylor, Tucker and Ogbe can shoot like they've done against Cal and UCLA we might be surprised. Given that we haven't been able to hit the broad side of a barn in any of our road games... don't hold your breath.

You beat me to it. I was going to say that we've got the coaching smarts, work ethic, defensive ethic, and the athletes including one superspecial player to get an upset. It all depends on if we can hit the good shots we get, particularly if we can hit threes and players other than the big two make their shots.

FountainOfUte
01-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I view the game @ Arizona about the same way I viewed the game @ Oregon in this last football season: about as close to a guaranteed loss as you can have. We don't have the breadth or depth of talent needed to take down a team like this on the road. Even in SLC, it will be a reach, but it's possible.

As for ASU and CU, I think wins are possible but I personally wouldn't label them as likely. I'd be satisfied to come out of this at 1-2.

I nominate myself for downer post of the day. :|

SoCalPat
01-20-2014, 04:36 PM
I view the game @ Arizona about the same way I viewed the game @ Oregon in this last football season: about as close to a guaranteed loss as you can have. We don't have the breadth or depth of talent needed to take down a team like this on the road. Even in SLC, it will be a reach, but it's possible.

As for ASU and CU, I think wins are possible but I personally wouldn't label them as likely. I'd be satisfied to come out of this at 1-2.

I nominate myself for downer post of the day. :|

I'll one-up you on the downer meter. Our win vs. UCLA should have served as a wake-up call for Arizona. If Sean Miller is anything close to a decent coach, he will have 'Zona ready to roll and we lose by 20. This is the one game on the calendar in which I will not change my view of the program. We do not become unbeatable if we take down the No. 1 team in the country, nor are we destined for the Pac-12 cellar if we lose by 30. As for a prediction, I will split the difference between both scenarios with an edge toward optimism -- it's a single-digit game almost all of the way, but AZ hits FTs down the stretch and wins by about 12.

Remember how BYU felt during our monster days in the WAC? It was a lose-lose for them because teams pretty much mailed in a loss to Utah and put everything they had toward beating BYU. The team that played BYU was almost always fresh because it was either the first game of the road trip, or they lost by 25 to Utah in the first game and were still fresh. I don't know if coaches really believed that and prepared accordingly, or even if it made a difference if they did, but I would totally sell out for the ASU game and not worry too much about what was left in the tank for Arizona. You win at ASU, you're playing with house money against Arizona.

Rocker Ute
01-20-2014, 04:48 PM
I'll one-up you on the downer meter. Our win vs. UCLA should have served as a wake-up call for Arizona. If Sean Miller is anything close to a decent coach, he will have 'Zona ready to roll and we lose by 20. This is the one game on the calendar in which I will not change my view of the program. We do not become unbeatable if we take down the No. 1 team in the country, nor are we destined for the Pac-12 cellar if we lose by 30. As for a prediction, I will split the difference between both scenarios with an edge toward optimism -- it's a single-digit game almost all of the way, but AZ hits FTs down the stretch and wins by about 12.

Remember how BYU felt during our monster days in the WAC? It was a lose-lose for them because teams pretty much mailed in a loss to Utah and put everything they had toward beating BYU. The team that played BYU was almost always fresh because it was either the first game of the road trip, or they lost by 25 to Utah in the first game and were still fresh. I don't know if coaches really believed that and prepared accordingly, or even if it made a difference if they did, but I would totally sell out for the ASU game and not worry too much about what was left in the tank for Arizona. You win at ASU, you're playing with house money against Arizona.

I'm with Pat, I wouldn't be shocked to see them hang 30 on us either. I think AZ is special, but I do expect some disruption defensively coming from the Utes. While it would probably be the wise thing to do, I doubt that Kodiak will mail it in to focus on ASU because I just don't think he is that type of guy.

Any coach who is overlooking the Utes these days is a coach that is probably soon to be fired, they should strike fear in anybody paying attention.

roseparkutes
01-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I hope they can hang with 'Zona, if not it is what it is.

Solon
01-26-2014, 09:23 AM
I hope they can hang with 'Zona, if not it is what it is.

Maybe Krystko will come out with a triangle-and-two defense that will confuse Simon & Bibby enough to eke out a 25-point win.
(good grief, where did those 16 years go?)

I'm still struggling with Thursday's loss, but I'd like to see how this team gets up to play #1. It's pretty rare that the Utes get to suit up vs. #1 in the nation. I expect that the kids will play hard, win or lose.

I plan to enjoy watching the game no matter what the outcome.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 12:19 PM
I'm still struggling with Thursday's loss, but I'd like to see how this team gets up to play #1. It's pretty rare that the Utes get to suit up vs. #1 in the nation. I expect that the kids will play hard, win or lose.

I plan to enjoy watching the game no matter what the outcome.

Agreed. This is the one game on the schedule after which I'll feel OK about a moral victory. Of course, if the Utes play a perfect game, they can win.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Great start!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 06:36 PM
We won't get away with relying on them to be cold.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Seems like when you're the number one team you just put your shoulder down drive to the basket and wait for the whistle.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 06:48 PM
Also they are KILLING us on the glass.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Also they are KILLING us on the glass.

They kill most everyone on the glass

They also seem to be able to take an extra step or two (Onwas on the other hand is allowed one less step)

Still like the no back down attitude our guys have.

Mormon Red Death
01-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Seems like when you're the number one team you just put your shoulder down drive to the basket and wait for the whistle.

they are getting bailed out for going wildly into the lane

Mormon Red Death
01-26-2014, 06:55 PM

They also seem to be able to take an extra step or two (Onwas on the other hand is allowed one less step)

when you are allowed to go over the back and slam into people without repercussion you can do that.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 06:55 PM

Yep, we are fighting back.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 06:56 PM
they are getting bailed out for going wildly into the lane

Just did it again. I think it's hard for the players to know what is and isn't a charge anymore

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 06:58 PM
This reminds me of those games we used to play @ unlv where we are facing the team, the environment, and the officials who are completely caught up in the environment. Defense a little tighter and more physical by the home team, who oh by the way has been in the bonus since the 9 min mark.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Wow. What an awful call on Tucker on that rebound especially given the contact Arizona is allowed to create

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 06:59 PM
This reminds me of those games we used to play @ unlv where we are facing the team, the environment, and the officials who are completely caught up in the environment. Defense a little tighter and more physical by the home team, who oh by the way has been in the bonus since the 9 min mark.

Exactly. I hate to b**** about refereeing, but everything they are doing draws a foul.

Sent from my Moto X

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Exactly. I hate to b**** about refereeing, but everything they are doing draws a foul.

Sent from my Moto X

Frankly my biggest disappointment with this conference had been the absolutely awful officials in all sports.

And it's against all teams. I can't watch any PAC game without being amazed at the inept officiating.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Uhm how was that not a charge?

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 07:06 PM
I like that Larry is making them work defensively, but we need to get better shots if we're going to do that.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:11 PM
The most amazing non-call was on Tucker's layup when the AZ defender clobbered him with the body. On the previous play when the AZ player was driving, the same thing happened and they got the call.

Also, I love the fight in these guys. I just feel bad that this Ute team seems snakebitten during the last two minutes of both halves. That's when the near-misses and weird turnovers and fouls happen.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Nice. We need to continue to go to the basket with all the pressure they're putting on the perimeter. They are not defending the lane well.

Sent from my Moto X

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:28 PM
If we can hit from outside we have a chance. I'd prefer not to see AZ getting uncontested threes like that one, though.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
On replay that was a clear cut block, stepped right in front of Tucker. Sigh.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Well I think the refs just showed what the key to drawing a charge is. You need a white jersey.

Sent from my Moto X

Mormon Red Death
01-26-2014, 07:30 PM
That was the worst charge call I have ever seen

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:30 PM
If we can hit from outside we have a chance. I'd prefer not to see AZ getting uncontested threes like that one, though.

He's not an outside shooter. 10th of the year, I'm sure the scouting report says play off him. Sometimes playing the numbers works. Sometimes it doesn't.

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 07:31 PM
This is a scream at the tv kind of game.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:33 PM
He's not an outside shooter. 10th of the year, I'm sure the scouting report says play off him. Sometimes playing the numbers works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Good point. I'd still expect a hand in the face, though.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:34 PM
5 and a half minutes for the zebras to whistle Arizona for a foul

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Wow.

Sent from my Moto X

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Wasn't that a charge just 90 seconds ago on the other end?

Mormon Red Death
01-26-2014, 07:36 PM
How the hell was that a block?

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Well holy shit. Who knew it was possible.

Sent from my Moto X

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:38 PM
I don't even know what to say anymore.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Loved the forearm shiver the AZ player was allowed to use. And he draws a blocking foul doing that.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:41 PM
Loved the forearm shiver the AZ player was allowed to use. And he draws a blocking foul doing that.

And Jarron Collins tries to cover the obviously bad call by saying Ogbe started the contact thus it's a defensive foul despite the obvious push. I like Collins, I think he's a good color guy, but he should be better than that kind of stuff.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:42 PM
BTW, am I just behind the times? Is it not a T to touch the referee? Mr. Grin on the AZ team puts his arm around the ref, who simply smiles and banters with him?

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:44 PM
BTW, am I just behind the times? Is it not a T to touch the referee? Mr. Grin on the AZ team puts his arm around the ref, who simply smiles and banters with him?

Well it's David Hall, he's not exactly known for his knowledge of the rules. (He really disliked Big Rick)

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 07:46 PM
I wonder if Nick Johnson can make a move without pushing off.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:46 PM
And with all this we're tied with 10 left.

I really like our staff and players.

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Gordon looks gassed

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Gordon looks gassed

That last jam aside...

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Can't get the rebound? Just slam into the guy and take it.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:57 PM
They noticed the forearm shiver!

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:58 PM
Our boxing out is pretty bad.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Hate to say it but I think that baseline drive is the ballgame.

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 08:00 PM
If you are going to foul him, put him on his ass.

Diehard Ute
Our boxing out is pretty bad.

They're actually boxing out well, but the off side guy should be releasing to grab the ball and he isn't.

It also doesn't help that playing zone makes rebounding more difficult.

UtahDan
Well we've fallen apart now.

Sent from my Moto X

DrumNFeather
Well we've fallen apart now.

Sent from my Moto X

How many points do we get for a moral victory?

OrangeUte
01-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Wow. Horrible rebounding has made a 2-4 pt lead into a 10 point lead.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 08:02 PM
How many points do we get for a moral victory?

We have not played bad. But getting killed on the offensive boards is the story of this game.

Sent from my Moto X

OrangeUte
01-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Loveridge's blocked shot was kind of the beginning of it all. We are dead cold.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 08:03 PM
They're actually boxing out well, but the off side guy should be releasing to grab the ball and he isn't.

It also doesn't help that playing zone makes rebounding more difficult.

Whatever. We let them get too many offensive rebounds and easy putbacks.

I'd like to see a final score that reflects the true nature of the game. This is going to start looking like a sound beating.

And I wish the PBP guys would try not to act so delighted that AZ is pulling ahead.

OrangeUte
01-26-2014, 08:04 PM
We have not played bad. But getting killed on the offensive boards is the story of this game.

Sent from my Moto X

Absolutely. We played gritty but I think we don't have the confidence any longer to keep in this game. We really needed that game on Thursday against asu.

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Whatever. We let them get too many offensive rebounds and easy putbacks.

I'd like to see a final score that reflects the true nature of the game. This is going to start looking like a sound beating.

And I wish the PBP guys would try not to act so delighted that AZ is pulling ahead.

Unfortunately Arizona does that to everyone, they have athletes that are tough matchups and it creates a lot of offensive rebound opportunities. (And they've learned they're not likely to get called for fouls for being aggressive so they keep doing it)

I think Larry's class that can play next year will help that rebounding (at least that is my hope)

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Absolutely. We played gritty but I think we don't have the confidence any longer to keep in this game. We really needed that game on Thursday against asu.

At least CU looks a bit more beatable

OrangeUte
01-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Yeah - we still have some shots for good wins this year.

I think the Cuse would take this Arizona team pretty easily.

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 08:08 PM
Loveridge has had a terrible second half.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Overall I'm still very happy with our progress.

Sent from my Moto X

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Let's not let them turn this into a rout.

OrangeUte
01-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Definitely a much better team. We are in every game this year as opposed to a year ago.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 08:12 PM
PBP guys just said something complimentary about the Utes!!!

justaute
01-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Loveridge has a terrific mid-range game, but he insist on driving into the paint. He's not athletic enough nor is he big enough to do that. Why not play to your strength?

Loveridge has had a terrible second half.

DrumNFeather
Overall I'm still very happy with our progress.

Sent from my Moto X

Outside of this team, each of our road losses should be home victories, and frankly we need them to be to continue to show our improvement.

Diehard Ute
Wow stay classy Zona.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Classy dunk by AZ there at the end.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Wow stay classy Zona.

Yeah....we were still trying to score though. Doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Moto X

Mormon Red Death
01-26-2014, 08:16 PM
We covered +14... We c are beating these guys in slc

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Yeah....we were still trying to score though. Doesn't bother me.

Sent from my Moto X

When you're losing of course you're still trying to score.

With 2 seconds left and the game not in doubt, you don't throw down a showboat dunk. (Utah had such a chance at the last home game and simply threw the ball in the air)

DrumNFeather
01-26-2014, 08:18 PM
When you're losing of course you're still trying to score.

With 2 seconds left and the game not in doubt, you don't throw down a showboat dunk. (Utah had such a chance at the last home game and simply threw the ball in the air)

Jim Boylen nearly decked Heath Schoyer over that!

Diehard Ute
01-26-2014, 08:18 PM
And Tony Jones tweeted Krysko was visibly upset by it. There's an unwritten code in sports, it's just something you don't do.

UtahDan
01-26-2014, 08:19 PM
And Tony Jones tweeted Krysko was visibly upset by it. There's an unwritten code in sports, it's just something you don't do.

Fair enough.

Sent from my Moto X

justaute
01-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Per this UA board, Miller had an "exchange" with Krysko. Miller asked Krysko what he was doing (pressing) with clock running out.

http://forum.goazcats.com/showthread.php?t=131563&page=55

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Oh, well. I like this team and I like the direction of this program. We just didn't have the horses to win this game. Kodiak's bringing in the kind of talent that will be more than just competitive and will win games like this one regularly.

And...I wouldn't be surprised to see the Utes beat this AZ team in the Huntsman.

SoCalPat
01-26-2014, 09:48 PM

The rule goes both ways. The shot clock was off, we were down 3 possessions with under 10 seconds left. If you don't want the other team to score, just let them inbound the ball and be done with it, which is what this "unwritten code" would dictate be done.

justaute
01-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Exactly.

The rule goes both ways. The shot clock was off, we were down 3 possessions with under 10 seconds left. If you don't want the other team to score, just let them inbound the ball and be done with it, which is what this "unwritten code" would dictate be done.

LA Ute
01-26-2014, 11:10 PM

If the shoe were on the other foot, I may be defending the "dunkus humiliatus." But I like to think I would be a little uncomfortable about the Utes doing the same thing. Once AZ got the ball the game was truly over and the only effect of scoring with a dunk in that situation is to humiliate the opponent. When Delon got possession of the ball on the final play against UCLA he could have made a baseball pass to Onwas (I think) for an easy basket but he simply threw the ball up in the air. When Weddle intercepted the final Navy pass in the Emerald Bowl he simply took a knee. I like that approach better, and I suspect Krysko does too. To each his own.

UTEopia
01-27-2014, 06:35 AM
I had no problem with the dunk. The winning team keeps playing to score until the losing team stops pressuring. Losing by 11 is no different than losing by 9 and who knows, maybe it will stick in the craw of some of the players for the game up here.

The big stat in this game was giving up 20 offensive rebounds. Tough to win when the opposing team gets 13 more shots. Arizona is long, big and physical. By far the most complete team I have seen in the conference.

SoCalPat
01-27-2014, 07:51 AM
If the shoe were on the other foot, I may be defending the "dunkus humiliatus." But I like to think I would be a little uncomfortable about the Utes doing the same thing. Once AZ got the ball the game was truly over and the only effect of scoring with a dunk in that situation is to humiliate the opponent. When Delon got possession of the ball on the final play against UCLA he could have made a baseball pass to Onwas (I think) for an easy basket but he simply threw the ball up in the air. When Weddle intercepted the final Navy pass in the Emerald Bowl he simply took a knee. I like that approach better, and I suspect Krysko does too. To each his own.

You can't have it both ways. You can't face-guard full-court press and not expect the other team to try and score. And anyone who would describe the final dunk as humiliating bruises easily.

Larry getting all bent over this makes him no different than Boylen for doing likewise against Wyoming and Heath Schroyer in his first year. Worry about your own damn team instead of playing Pac-12 coaching etiquette cop. This is the second game in a row Larry's found it necessary to give an opposing coach his .02 about the other side's "tactics." He's starting to sound bitchy.

LA Ute
01-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Here's what I think happened. Rebounding hurt -- a lot -- but if we have taken better care of the ball than we usually do we might have won.

Here's my tortured analysis:

We got 9 offensive rebounds. That's a little above our average of 7.5 ORs per game (http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team-stat/rebounding-category), which ranks us 301st in D-1. :Ashamed: Arizona got 20 offensive rebounds, almost twice its average of 11.5 per game (http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team-stat/rebounding-category), ranking them 29th in D-1. Tough to overcome a deficit like that against a great team. But Someone quoted Sean Miller as saying that Utah's 3-2 zone took away a lot of Arizona's game but left no one to block out and thus allowed AZ almost to double its average. That was probably a trade-off that Krysko made that didn't work out in the end. The strategy did keep us close all game long.

So how could we have made it work? Looking at TOs might give an answer.

Utah's assist to TO ratio was 9/14. Not sure we ever win with a ratio like that, especially against a great team. (I wonder how many of those led to Arizona points?)

Arizona's assist to TO ratio was 10/11. Not much better than ours, but theirs mostly came in the first half, IIRC.

Interestingly, we average 11.1 TOs per game, the same as Arizona, ranking us both 55th nationally. (I'm surprised AZ isn't better in that category.)

Assist to TO ratio: Arizona's is 1.396, ranking them 25th, and ours is 1.337, or 34th. Not that big a difference.

So maybe if we had taken care of the ball especially well, and "beaten" AZ in that category, we might have pulled off the upset.

I will now stop trying to be a statistician.

LA Ute
01-27-2014, 08:04 AM
You can't have it both ways. You can't face-guard full-court press and not expect the other team to try and score. And anyone who would describe the final dunk as humiliating bruises easily.

Larry getting all bent over this makes him no different than Boylen for doing likewise against Wyoming and Heath Schroyer in his first year. Worry about your own damn team instead of playing Pac-12 coaching etiquette cop. This is the second game in a row Larry's found it necessary to give an opposing coach his .02 about the other side's "tactics." He's starting to sound bitchy.

You remind me of the great thing about sports message boards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

We all get to have them!

DrumNFeather
01-27-2014, 08:18 AM

He needs to learn the art of the backhanded compliment. "Well, it's much easier for him to make the shot when nobody is guarding him."

sancho
01-27-2014, 08:42 AM
One thing we figured coming into the season is that we didn't have a great rebounder. Maybe we were wrong because Wright is a great rebounding PG, but stiil, we don't have a big guy who really boxes out and attacks the glass with energy. It's the biggest missing piece for this team.

Arizona has established a physical rebounding reputation. Once that rep is established you can get away with more contact on the boards.

Rocker Ute
01-27-2014, 09:00 AM
Maybe because it is a Monday morning I need a moral victory to get me going, but if you were told before our season started that we'd go toe-to-toe against the #1 team in the nation on their floor in a game that wasn't decided until the last couple of minutes what would your reaction be?

Before the season began I'd say that the team would have exceeded my expectations for this year.

But here lies the problem for me now, if you can hang with the very best teams out there, it is time to start winning some of these other close games. I hope a lot of time is spent this week emphasizing with the team, "Look at what you just did out there against the best team in the country... is there anyone in this conference we can't beat?"

I'm convinced the losses we might have going forward will be due largely to mental hurdles versus the personnel on the floor. It is hard to lament our ability to match up, out-defend and out-rebound AZ when we are only in year three of rebuilding a train wreck of a program. There is a reason that good teams seem to always play teams experience their worst nights in whatever it is. We didn't get out-rebounded because we are bad, it is because Arizona is that good.

Do we want to fix it, hell yes, but the point today is that we can. Having a team that is competing at the top-levels in the PAC12 isn't out of the realm of possibility, in fact I'd say we have it already today.

So with that said, we really do need to buck up and soundly defeat CO, particularly because they are down Dinwiddie. This really needs to be our first PAC12 road win. Come back home and beat Wazzu and WA and we are back in a good position for favorable seeding in the PAC12 tournament and a real shot at a run there.

U-Ute
01-27-2014, 10:02 AM
I gave no problem with the dunk. We were still pressing. Until we back off, they won't. Against Wyoming, Boylen had backed off.

As a basketball fan, that was a fun game to watch. Utah was the scrappy David against the Goliath (literally and figuratively) Arizona. You keep thinking "there's no way Utah should be in this game", but there we were, right in it until the last 8 minutes. Our problem was just an overall lack of talent and size. Outside of Loveridge and Wright, we didn't have anyone who could create a shot against Arizona. Even then, Loveridge was having difficulties against their size and length. Nobody outside of Wright, Loveridge, and Taylor wanted anything to do with trying to dribble the ball against that defense. I can't say I blame them.

It was nice to see Ogbe straight up shooting the rock though. The kid is a gunner.

The most frustrating thing about this loss isn't the game against Arizona. It is that we also lost to UW and WSU. Those may be wins today. But on the up side, it shows the progress this team has made since the cupcake OOC schedule. These guys are figuring out big boy basketball. I see a potential for road two road wins in these 3 games: @CU, @USC, @Stanford. USC is probably the least likely as, much like us, they've played well at home.

If we can win 6 of our next 10 games, we end up with 20 wins, and .500 in conference, with a couple of road wins, that puts us in the NIT and looking pretty good for next season. Gravy would be if we can pull off an upset against Arizona at home, or steal an extra road win against one of those three teams.

K has been great so far this year, I really hope he just puts the frustration of the Arizona game behind him, takes the positives from the game and gets the guys focused on Colorado. Now is not the time to wallow in sour grapes.

LA Ute
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
That dunk was a tiny, inconsequential part of the game. I regret even mentioning it, and hope it will simply be motivational for the Utes in the return matchup with Arizona.

Isn't it great to be in a conference where we get to worry about how our team does against the #1 team in the country, and to actually have a good chance of beating that team?

Mormon Red Death
01-27-2014, 12:10 PM
Our next 5 games will determine where we end up.

Sat at Colorado
Next week at USC, UCLA
2 weeks home for the Azholes and fork U

Win only 1 and no postseason
Win 2 and we probably go CBI
Win 3 and we probably go NIT
Win 4 or 5 and NCAA come into the picture.

The refs in the game yesterday were horrendous. Its like when we used to play in the PIT and the refs would let the atmosphere take over. Nick Johnson pushes off every damn time. Someone needs to posterize Gordon and knock him on his ass.

The turning point of the game was Batshitzinsky's sweet ass block to our fast break where Dakari should have had a 3 point play but the refs call the biggest bullshit charge ever. Zona comes back down and Olsen gets his fourth foul for blocking that was clearly a charge. That game was scream at the tv bad. Apparently the new rules are such that azholes can careen wildly into the line and get bailed out with foul shots. By the way does a ref know how to call fucking behind the back? AZ got 18 offensive rebounds.... well that isnt hard when you can push guys with no repercussion.

Secret stat of the game that really influenced the game:

Brandon Taylor 14 minutes, 0 pts 2 assists, 3 turnovers. Also didnt play during crunch time (Ogbe was in). Yikes! We need starters to make a difference. I think he may end up being a a 6th or 7th man a la jonny bryant.

concerned
01-27-2014, 12:20 PM

Sat at Colorado
Next week at USC, UCLA

The refs in the game yesterday were horrendous. Its like when we used to play in the PIT and the refs would let the atmosphere take over. Nick Johnson pushes off every damn time. Someone needs to posterize Gordon and knock him on his ass.

The turning point of the game was Batshitzinsky's sweet ass block to our fast break where Dakari should have had a 3 point play but the refs call the biggest bullshit charge ever. Zona comes back down and Olsen gets his fourth foul for blocking that was clearly a charge. That game was scream at the tv bad. Apparently the new rules are such that azholes can careen wildly into the line and get bailed out with foul shots. By the way does a ref know how to call fucking behind the back? AZ got 18 offensive rebounds.... well that isnt hard when you can push guys with no repercussion.

Brandon Taylor 14 minutes, 0 pts 2 assists, 3 turnovers. Also didnt play during crunch time (Ogbe was in). Yikes! We need starters to make a difference. I think he may end up being a a 6th or 7th man a la jonny bryant.

You left out UW and WSU, next week after colorado.

SoCalPat
01-27-2014, 12:40 PM

Sat at Colorado
Next week at USC, UCLA

If Taylor was ever as good as Johnny Bryant, we'd be undefeated.

Mixed views on offiiating: Tucker got beat to the spot. When the whistle blew, i knew it was going the oyher way. The foul in which Olson got his fourth was total horseshit. That was my remote chucking moment. Should've been a no call, and although the FT was missed, it still messed up our rotation. And Arizona didn't commit the laziest fouls of the night (Onwas in the first half, Batshitski when Johnson posterized him late).

If we want more calls to go our way, then run an offense that features our best player, rather than treating him as an equal in this offense that features too much perimeter passing and precious few back cuts and double screens.

DrumNFeather
01-27-2014, 12:46 PM
If Taylor was ever as good as Johnny Bryant, we'd be undefeated.

Mixed views on offiiating: Tucker got beat to the spot. When the whistle blew, i knew it was going the oyher way. The foul in which Olson got his fourth was total horseshit. That was my remote chucking moment. Should've been a no call, and although the FT was missed, it still messed up our rotation. And Arizona didn't commit the laziest fouls of the night (Onwas in the first half, Batshitski when Johnson posterized him late).

If we want more calls to go our way, then run an offense that features our best player, rather than treating him as an equal in this offense that features too much perimeter passing and precious few back cuts and double screens.

The problem I had with the Tucker call is that the ref had that call lined up as a charge the whole time. Tucker needs to have a better presence of mind on that play to draw contact going to the hoop, or bail out of it and pass, pull a hesitation, something. (easier said than done I recognize).

Mormon Red Death
01-27-2014, 12:51 PM
You left out UW and WSU, next week after colorado.

D'oh!

LA Ute
01-27-2014, 01:50 PM

Amen. When we attack, we score and get fouled. When we enable Delon to attack, he scores and/or gets fouled AND makes the free throws.

LA Ute
01-29-2014, 11:33 AM
Some insight into how difficult it is to get to the rim against Arizona;

http://pachoops.com/2014/01/bb-notreedunk/

LA Ute
02-18-2014, 02:14 PM
Phil Cullen's latest e-mail:

Arizona comes to the Huntsman Center ranked #4 in the country and is coming off a double overtime loss to Arizona State. Arizona has been without their starting 4-man Brandon Ashley for the last three games after sustaining a season ending foot injury. Arizona is a well-balanced team that has five players averaging double figures over the past five games. Nick Johnson is their leading scorer at 12.4 ppg and Aaron Gordon is averaging 10 ppg and 9 rpg. As a team they are leading the country in defensive efficiency allowing only 42% effective field goal and are top ten in the country in offensive rebounding.

Arizona beat us on the glass last game in Tucson and we will have to close that rebounding margin to have a chance. They will play man to man defense and try to get physical with us on screens both on the ball and off. We also turned the ball over too much at 23% of our possessions.

We have five games left in conference play and each opponent is ranked top 50 in the country. There is a real opportunity for our program and would love to see a full Huntsman Center on Wednesday night. This could be the biggest crowd that they see on the road all year. Thanks again for your support and it was great to see such a following on the road this past week in Southern California.

SoCalPat
02-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Phil Cullen's latest e-mail:

13,283 at Pauley. Also had over 12K at SDSU and Michigan. We had 13,426 for Oregon, another mid-week game. No reason not to exceed 14K.

justaute
02-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I certainly don't disagree with this sentiment. However, if we don't have at least a decent perimeter game, Delon won't be able to drive as the defense will just sag-off and pack it in. That's how I would play against my Utes.

Amen. When we attack, we score and get fouled. When we enable Delon to attack, he scores and/or gets fouled AND makes the free throws.

LA Ute
02-18-2014, 10:58 PM
I certainly don't disagree with this sentiment. However, if we don't have at least a decent perimeter game, Delon won't be able to drive as the defense will just sag-off and pack it in. That's how I would play against my Utes.

Agreed. By "enable Delon to attack," I was thinking also of having a perimeter game the opposition has to respect. Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Tonight is the best indicator we have of how valuable our home court is. We were on the wrong end of it against UCLA. Tonight we flip the switch and win by 6-8 points after we make our FTs late.

sancho
02-19-2014, 08:44 AM
Bach/JO reach the 15/15 level tonight. Tarczewski gets 2 fouls in the first half and sits.

311ute
02-19-2014, 11:00 AM
The loss of Ashley hurts them two-fold: 1. Offensively (Ashley was a match-up nightmare because of his size/length and his ability to hit the 3), and 2. Depth.

Becaue of #2, we really need to be in attack mode right from the tip, knowing that (hopefully) the calls will go our way tonight, playing at home. They really only go 6 deep now, so if we can get any one of their starters (but especially Gordon or Tarczewski) in early foul trouble, we'll be in great shape.

Also, if they're going to crash the offensive glass as hard as they did down in Tucson, we need to look to run every time we get a defensive rebound. Points will be hard to come by tonight, so any chance we get to score in transition we need to capitalize.

Lastly, I would seriously consider fouling Gordon everytime he goes up for a shot near the rim. He shoots 41% (and worse on the road) on the year from the charity stripe.

sancho
02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
Lastly, I would seriously consider fouling Gordon everytime he goes up for a shot near the rim. He shoots 41% (and worse on the road) on the year from the charity stripe.

I was shocked that ASU did not do this in OT and 2OT. Gordon was killing them with layups, and they were just watching him. We have a lot of fouls to give at the 4/5 - let's use them.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 12:27 PM
From PAC-12 Hoops:

Something to Lose: It’s my Wildcats and they stand to lose whatever mystique and aura they built over 21 straight wins. I know their trajectory got jolted with a now bolted foot, but this is still an insanely good defensive team. It’s a skill I’m quick to tell you travels but if your jump shot gets left at baggage claim or – even worse – doesn’t even make the trip, you’re going to struggle. Instant offense, the kind of scoring that comes from blindly giving the ball to the best kid, often becomes a critical piece in winning tight road games. Exhibit: Nick Johnson (http://pachoops.com/2014/01/1-arizona-wins-at-maples-how-and-why/). In Arizona’s two losses – both of which came on the road and down to the wire – the supremely talented junior is a combined 6-34. That’s not going to cut it. Particularly without Brandon Ashley there to do what he was able to do late. Ashley was this team’s most skilled player but this, unfortunately, is no longer about Brandon. Nick is and always has been this teams leader. As they head into a very difficult home stretch, his team is going to need him to be that best kid to remind everyone else just how good they are.

http://pachoops.com/2014/02/week-8-pac-12-hoops-preview-2/

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 01:38 PM
For tonight:

Not sure why they are sending this out today, instead of a week ago, but oh, well.

Utah
02-19-2014, 02:26 PM
If we win, we will enter the bubble team arena.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 05:39 PM
If we win, we will enter the bubble team arena.

We can leave it just as quickly if we lose to ASU. I think the bracketologists will adopt a wait-and-see attitude if we win tonight. They'll have no choice but to put us there if we sweep this week's games.

chrisrenrut
02-19-2014, 07:56 PM
Late arriving crowd, as usual. But the student sections are packed early.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Bach. Sigh.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:28 PM
Jordan. Sigh.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Onwas. SportsCenter top 10.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 08:37 PM
The big men need to stop putting the ball on the floor and go up strong.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Gotta stop this mini-run and make some doggone layups!

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:40 PM
The big men need to stop putting the ball on the floor and go up strong.

Yes. It's amazing how Bach and JO miss when they have the ball right under the hoop in traffic. Sheesh. Go up strong and make it or get fouled (or both)!

sancho
02-19-2014, 08:41 PM
Up tempo. We're trying to wear them out tonight? Dangerous - they can really run.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Up tempo. We're trying to wear them out tonight? Dangerous - they can really run.

Pregame LK said the Utes would look for transition opportunities if AZ crashes the offensive boards.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Jordan has disappeared again. We have no chance if that doesn't change.

sancho
02-19-2014, 08:52 PM
We can't run with these guys. I guess it was an idea worth trying.

Also, for a superstar, Delon gets very little protection from refs.

sancho
02-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Shame we didn't get that 3rd foul on Gordon while he was out there.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
Ouch. Almost the worst possible end to the half. We sure have a way of turning lemonade into lemons in the waning seconds of halves.

Also, kind of amazing Delon got a no-call on that last layup attempt.

Mormon Red Death
02-19-2014, 08:57 PM
How did they not call a foul at the end of the half?

sancho
02-19-2014, 08:59 PM
How did they not call a foul at the end of the half?

They wanted to keep a 0 free throw thing going. Seriously, Delon gets no respect from officials.

Also, the conference wants Arizona to nab a 1 seed.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 09:02 PM
In the second half I think we'll learn a little something about what Jordan Loveridge is made of.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 09:08 PM
7 AZ points off Utah turnovers. That's getting to be a familiar story.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Larry noted in his coach's show that UCLA was the only game this season where we've been blown out. I hope we don't make it 2 in a row tonight.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Jordan needs to move better without the ball. We cannot win this game with him just floating around the arc.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 09:34 PM
I like Ogbe's guts.

Mormon Red Death
02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Nice to do this worth delon resting

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Jordan needs to move better without the ball. We cannot win this game with him just floating around the arc.

He often seems to be watching on offense. It's downright weird.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 09:42 PM
We are getting a lot of the calls they got in the first game.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Is Delon hurt?

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Don't tease us Utes, let's get this done!

Mormon Red Death
02-19-2014, 09:57 PM
Is Delon hurt?

Nope just taking a rest or at least was when I posted that

mpfunk
02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
It is time to get a big win in conference.

sancho
02-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Ugh...back to back rushed threes when we needed to set up good shots.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
Great job forcing it to someone besides Nick Johnson

hostile
02-19-2014, 10:10 PM
OT!!!

mpfunk
02-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Utes need to get this win. It isn't good enough to compete and lose. Utah needs to win these games, especially at home.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Rebound!

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
We are just killing ourselves.

hostile
02-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Rebound!

And free throws. Dammit!

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:26 PM
That pass sums this one up. Goodness.

mpfunk
02-19-2014, 10:27 PM
Well looks like this isn't going to turn out the way we want. I want to believe in Krysto, but I just can't until we can start converting these games and are back in the NCAA tournament.

LA Ute
I feel great pain for Taylor. Ouch.

LA Ute
Well looks like this isn't going to turn out the way we want. I want to believe in Krysto, but I just can't until we can start converting these games and are back in the NCAA tournament.

Not now, Funk.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Not now, Funk.

Well, we're not doomed, but this team could certainly benefit from some mental toughness.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
How is it that Delon loses his mind in the last 120 seconds of close games?

sancho
02-19-2014, 10:35 PM
I want to believe in Krysto, but I just can't until we can start converting these games and are back in the NCAA tournament.

I agree. Coach should have told Taylor to make those FTs. "Hey Brandon, make these FTs, alright?"

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:36 PM
How is it that Delon loses his mind in the last 120 seconds of close games?

Looked like Nick Johnson really shut him down in the second half. Seemed pretty gun shy.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm bleeping pissed. We got a draw on the boards, we got one of their top guns to foul out super early, we got key minutes from our reserves (especially Fields) ... and we couldn't win the game because our Big 3 collectively shat the bed.

sancho
02-19-2014, 10:39 PM
Looked like Nick Johnson really shut him down in the second half. Seemed pretty gun shy.

I can't decide if the POY should be Nick Johnson or Kyle Anderson. Those two guys are really impressive.

SoCalPat
Not now, Funk.

If not now, when?

LA Ute

But that awful pass!

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 10:41 PM
I feel really bad for Taylor. 1-4 from the line in crunch time. He's gonna have to live with that. How does a coach instill mental toughness?

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm bleeping pissed. We got a draw on the boards, we got one of their top guns to foul out super early, we got key minutes from our reserves (especially Fields) ... and we couldn't win the game because our Big 3 collectively shat the bed.

Absolutely. Not only did we get nothing from Loveridge, but his guy killed us in OT.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:47 PM
I feel really bad for Taylor. 1-4 from the line in crunch time. He's gonna have to live with that. How does a coach instill mental toughness?

Schedule more than one road game in the non-conference? :)

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 10:49 PM
Schedule more than one road game in the non-conference? :)

Nah, we needed the wins against cupcakes to build confidence.

mpfunk
02-19-2014, 10:50 PM
I agree. Coach should have told Taylor to make those FTs. "Hey Brandon, make these FTs, alright?"

We lost, end of story. I'm not being critical of Larry, but until we win we aren't making progress.

I have hope for the team, but I'm still in a wait and see mode.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
If only we'd had Jace Tavita in the game....

DrumNFeather
02-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Nah, we needed the wins against cupcakes to build confidence.

It's not a terrible strategy, but when you aren't tested and then the competition steps up significantly, is it a huge surprise that you then wilt under pressure?

The reality is that this all will serve them well next year. I just wanted to see them make a move this year, and they may yet. Need to finish the home stand 2-0.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 10:56 PM
If only we'd had Jace Tavita in the game....

Please, explain how that matters or what the hell that's supposed to mean?

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 10:57 PM

Dark humor. Maybe Ben Melmeth could have helped us more than Jace would have.

sancho
02-19-2014, 10:57 PM

Just a reminder that things could be worse? That's how I understood it.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 10:59 PM
We lost, end of story. I'm not being critical of Larry, but until we win we aren't making progress.

I have hope for the team, but I'm still in a wait and see mode.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Why back down? If Delon can take some heat from LA for his play at the end of games, so can Larry for not having an offense that gets Jordan good looks or for sticking with Tucker for 30 games even though he can't rebound and that Fields might be a better player anyway.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 11:00 PM

Honestly, who the **** cares about Jim Boylen right now or had even thought of him other than Larry's biggest lapdogs?

sancho
02-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Honestly, who the fuck cares about Jim Boylen right now or had even thought of him other than Larry's biggest lapdogs?

Relax. None of us are happy with the loss.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM

Close. I was saying we'd have had just as much chance tonight if we had Jace out there instead of any one of our Big 3. As poorly as they all 3 played, I'm scratching my head as to how we still came so close. Our starting point guard misses 3 straight FTs that would have put us ahead in the final minute and left AZ behind the 8 ball? Our all-conference 2 guard throws the ball away -- really, really far away, a high school-type mistake -- on our last-chance possession? Our team captain and leader doesn't even score until late in the second half and is butterfingers all night? Good grief, they were bad. All we can do now is hope they all lie awake all night tonight and vow never to let their team down like that again.

End of rant.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Honestly, who the **** cares about Jim Boylen right now or had even thought of him other than Larry's biggest lapdogs?

Take it from me: Jim Boylen was not even in the same solar system as my mind was when I typed that post.

hostile
02-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Failure to do some simple things really hurt us, free throws, box out the shooter. Delon misses Bachynski twice for easy lay-ups. If he's going to run the point he has to be able to make that pass.

Next four won't be easy. We need to get on a roll going into Vegas.

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Relax. None of us are happy with the loss.

Yeah, but I rarely get to watch the Utes play because of my work schedule or my lack of Pac-12 networks in my house. It's been a while since I've gone off after a game. I'm exercising the max cooling off time (12-24 hours), so brace yourself!

concerned
02-19-2014, 11:15 PM
not only did delon throw way to pass at the end overtime,but he didn't make the pass at the end of regulation on the pick and roll to Dallin, who was wide open underneath the basket. If delon made that ass, we would have won by 1 point and loveridge never woulda gone to the line the to miss the winning free throw. Was that evidenton Tv?

also, at the end of overtime, Taylor was so exhausted he could barely stand up. I think that's why he missed free throws. I don't think it was mental toughness.

hostile
02-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Nice to see Billy McGill at halftime. He's had some rough patches over the years. Hopefully his new book does well.

sancho
02-19-2014, 11:18 PM
sticking with Tucker for 30 games even though he can't rebound and that Fields might be a better player anyway.

I'm not sure what the answer is here. Tucker has been shooting the ball well from his corner. Onwas is hustling and didn't let the Wildcats drive or dunk on him. Fields and Ogbe had their moments. Who should be getting minutes? We could have used Tucker's shooting towards the end of regulation or OT, but we needed the energy/rebounding/defense of Onwas/Fields just as much. If Jordan or Wright could hit some outside shots, we wouldn't need Tucker. But you have to have more shooting than just Taylor out there.

hostile
02-19-2014, 11:19 PM
not only did delon throw way to pass at the end overtime,but he didn't make the pass at the end of regulation on the pick and roll to Dallin, who was wide open underneath the basket. If the lawn made that ass, we would have won by 1 point and loveridge never woulda gone to the line the to miss the winning free throw. Was that evidenton Tv?

also, at the end of overtime, Taylor was so exhausted he could barely stand up. I think that's why he missed free throws. I don't think it was mental toughness.

Delon knew he missed that first pass. Bachynski was wide open. Coming into the OT play I said to my son that they should run the same play to Dallin. Delon seemed surprised it was wide open the second time as well.

sancho
02-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Was that evidenton Tv?

Yes. Clear as day.

OrangeUte
02-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Losing a game because of missed free throws always bothers me.

This game was ours.

LA Ute
02-19-2014, 11:31 PM
not only did delon throw way to pass at the end overtime,but he didn't make the pass at the end of regulation on the pick and roll to Dallin, who was wide open underneath the basket. If delon made that ass, we would have won by 1 point and loveridge never woulda gone to the line the to miss the winning free throw. Was that evidenton Tv?

Yes, my son and I were yelling at the screen, "Hit Dallin!! Hit Dallin!!"

SoCalPat
02-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Yes, my son and I were yelling at the screen, "Hit Dallin!! Hit Dallin!!"

Speaking of father-son interactions involving Batshitski, my youngest wondered why they didn't call double-dribble on Dallin in the first half. Holy smokes, if there was Exhibit A as to how bad Pac-12 officiating is -- you heard the JHC gasp, then breath a sigh of relief once they realized the refs didn't see it.

hostile
02-19-2014, 11:47 PM
Speaking of father-son interactions involving Batshitski, my youngest wondered why they didn't call double-dribble on Dallin in the first half. Holy smokes, if there was Exhibit A as to how bad Pac-12 officiating is -- you heard the JHC gasp, then breath a sigh of relief once they realized the refs didn't see it.
Yep. Lots of missed calls both ways.

NorthwestUteFan
02-20-2014, 07:28 AM
Yep. Lots of missed calls both ways.

And Arizona whined about each one.

UtahDan
02-20-2014, 07:31 AM
To state the obvious I think the lack of athletic bigs who can rebound is the biggest hole in our program right now.

concerned
02-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Not only did the entire arena gasp, but Dallin stood there for a nanosecond waiting to hand the ball to the ref after the whistle. I dont think I have ever seen such guilty knowledge displayed by a player.

justaute
02-20-2014, 08:16 AM
A big part of our rebounding deficiency is blocking-out. I've watched most of the conference games this season and our inability to blocking-out is evident. When you watch our 1998 team, which is not that athletic collectively, blocking-out is an art. Majerus said something to the effect of "we are the best rebounding team because we are the best block-out team."

To state the obvious I think the lack of athletic bigs who can rebound is the biggest hole in our program right now.

Hot Lunch
02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

This is so true. Zona had way too many second chance shot on possessions. That is what gave them the big 14-0 half way through the 1st half. That was very frustrating to watch.

DrumNFeather
02-20-2014, 08:23 AM
This is so true. Zona had way too many second chance shot on possessions. That is what gave them the big 14-0 half way through the 1st half. That was very frustrating to watch.

It's one of the things that I think makes Miller a good coach. His players are always playing with their heads up and are constantly focused on getting the ball and extra possesions. Nick Johnson was quiet for a good chunk of the game, but he just turned it on at the end with some hustle plays. Same thing with Hollis-Jefferson. He and Loveridge were getting into it and it took Jordan more out of the game than he already was. Meanwhile, Jefferson is just making hustle plays in OT.

sancho
02-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Hard time sleeping with nightmares of missed FTs from Loveridge, Fields, Olsen, and Taylor. All of those guys can shoot FTs!

Anyway, by the time I was in the shower this morning, I started to remember that we were down 12 in the second half. I really thought we were about to be steamrolled. How does this team keep its fight? The UCLA game is the only game in which we've given less than 100%. Usually, a team loses some close ones, and it eventually starts getting blown out. I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened to this team yet.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Onwas. SportsCenter top 10.

I thought the same thing when I saw that. And sure enough, he showed up at #6.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Jordan has disappeared again. We have no chance if that doesn't change.

I'm not sure what is going on. Well, I do to a certain extent - he's having a difficult time with 6'9" defenders that are athletic (Gordon, Hollis-Jefferson, et al).

But that doesn't explain some of his lassaiz faire attitude on the offensive end. I'm hoping it is just a bit of "sophomore slump" while he figures out how to be The Guy.

sancho
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
A big part of our rebounding deficiency is blocking-out. I've watched most of the conference games this season and our inability to blocking-out is evident. When you watch our 1998 team, which is not that athletic collectively, blocking-out is an art. Majerus said something to the effect of "we are the best rebounding team because we are the best block-out team."

I think about this a lot. Not many coaches are able to take non-rebounders and turn them into rebounders. Majerus and Izzo are the two that come to mind. I would say that blocking out is an art but also an attitude. A natural rebounder just thinks "this one's mine" every time a shot goes up.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
I feel great pain for Taylor. Ouch.

It seemed to me like he wasn't trusting his FT shooting mechanics and was aiming the ball a bit. He'll learn from it. I doubt we ever see that again.

sancho
02-20-2014, 08:38 AM
I'm hoping it is just a bit of "sophomore slump" while he figures out how to be The Guy.

Maybe he is realizing that he isn't "The Guy" and is trying to figure out what his role is.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 08:44 AM
Maybe he is realizing that he isn't "The Guy" and is trying to figure out what his role is.

A bit of that too.

Honestly, I'm not sure where he fits in the offensive scheme either. Taylor, Tucker, and Ogbe are the long distance shooters. Olsen and Wright are at the rim. I'm not sure where JL's shots come from. He's best when he puts the ball on the floor and either gets to the rim or hits a mid-range jump shot, but Wright and Taylor are our best ball handlers and facilitators, so I'm not sure you take the ball out of their hands.

This is definitely something the coaching staff needs to figure out.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 08:45 AM

Bingo. And figuring out that role is something that better come quickly. We've got guys coming in that won't automatically defer to Jordan next year.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 08:52 AM
As an aside, I think what may have been overlooked last night was the play of Bachynski: 33 minutes, 12 points on 5-8 shooting (2-2 from the FT line), 9 rebounds (5 offensive), and only one turnover (ok, 1.5 since he had the double-dribble-no-call - that was bizarre).

All this while going against one of the top centers in the league. His energy and activity under the rim was huge. Not only did he grab those rebounds, but he tipped out others, and altered a lot of Arizona's shots defensively. I think he is a big part of how we were still in the game despite everything else.

The only thing missing from his game is some consistency with offensive post moves. If he works on that during the summer, he could be a beast next year.

I'm officially retiring his nickname from my vernacular.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 08:57 AM
As an aside, I think what may have been overlooked last night was the play of Bachynski: 33 minutes, 12 points on 5-8 shooting (2-2 from the FT line), 9 rebounds (5 offensive), and only one turnover (ok, 1.5 since he had the double-dribble-no-call - that was bizarre).

All this while going against one of the top centers in the league. His energy and activity under the rim was huge. Not only did he grab those rebounds, but he tipped out others, and altered a lot of Arizona's shots defensively. I think he is a big part of how we were still in the game despite everything else.

The only thing missing from his game is some consistency with offensive post moves. If he works on that during the summer, he could be a beast next year.

I'm officially retiring his nickname from my vernacular.

He also traveled on our last bucket of the game, but he was being aggressive with the ball and dared the refs to make a call. Easiest bucket you should ever get is down 4 with the shot clock off, and Darrin kept us in position to force OT.

Bachinsky was our MVP last night. Some have asked why we don't start him, but I'm leery of messing with a good thing.

sancho
02-20-2014, 08:57 AM
All this while going against one of the top centers in the league.

Yes, I wish that Tarczewski had been the one in foul trouble instead of Gordon. I would have loved sending Gordon to the line in OT to match our misses.

concerned
02-20-2014, 08:59 AM
He also traveled on our last bucket of the game, but he was being aggressive with the ball and dared the refs to make a call. Easiest bucket you should ever get is down 4 with the shot clock off, and Darrin kept us in position to force OT.

Bachinsky was our MVP last night. Some have asked why we don't start him, but I'm leery of messing with a good thing.

He started the second half, and played most of it; wouldn't be surprised if that change has been made.. He is playing so much better than Olsen now at both ends.

sancho
02-20-2014, 09:00 AM
As an aside, I think what may have been overlooked last night was the play of Bachynski: 33 minutes, 12 points on 5-8 shooting (2-2 from the FT line), 9 rebounds (5 offensive)

Just one rebound shy of the 15/15 goal for our 5 spot. JO had 5 (including 2 offensive) in 12 minutes.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 09:02 AM

A bright basketball mind once said "Starting is for high schoolers."

;)

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 09:10 AM
The difference in the game last night was Arizona's quality of depth.

Loveridge and Gordon both stayed on the bus.
Wright and Johnson was a push.
Tarczewski and Bachynski took all the consonants and went home.
McConnell and Taylor got theirs

Hollis-Jefferson and York were the difference (28 points). They outplayed Tucker, Fields, and Ogbe (9 points).

Kuzma and Chapman could be the difference makers next year in a game like this.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 09:26 AM
We need to see more of Fields. He barely made an impact in the non-con, when the results of our games should've dictated more minutes. I had written him off because of that, and while last night was just one game, I liked what I saw. He's a lefty, he's physical and he has a jackhammer dribble. His vision is decent and it shouldn't take much for him to be an exceptional defender.

I give him a pass for the missed FT. That moment was an undervalued part of the game. I didn't realize the opposing coach could choose who shot the FTs and I think it's a bad rule. It was your guy who caused the injury to Onwas, so why should you dictate his replacement at the line? The old rule used to be you could take anyone on your team to shoot the FTs -- on the bench or in the game -- but I think a good compromise would be to limit your selection to guys that are on the floor.

sancho
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
We need to see more of Fields. He barely made an impact in the non-con, when the results of our games should've dictated more minutes. I had written him off because of that, and while last night was just one game, I liked what I saw. He's a lefty, he's physical and he has a jackhammer dribble. His vision is decent and it shouldn't take much for him to be an exceptional defender.

I give him a pass for the missed FT. That moment was an undervalued part of the game. I didn't realize the opposing coach could choose who shot the FTs and I think it's a bad rule. It was your guy who caused the injury to Onwas, so why should you dictate his replacement at the line? The old rule used to be you could take anyone on your team to shoot the FTs -- on the bench or in the game -- but I think a good compromise would be to limit your selection to guys that are on the floor.

Yes, but Fields for Onwas was a good trade at the line, even though it didn't work out. It was good for Onwas to play up the injury enough to get a replacement.

We really should have room for guys like Onwas/Fields, but because we also need shooting, it's tough to get them minutes. It's a unique problem with having a great PG who can't shoot. You need a couple guys on the floor who can extend the defense.

LA Ute
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM

A lot of that seemed to be simply out hustling our guys. If anyone cares to watch the tape, you'll see there were quite a few times when our guys had position but waited for the ball to come to them, and an AZ player grabbed it first. Yes, frustrating.

UBlender
02-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Bach traveled but was also getting bumped the whole way by the defender (Zeus, I assume). The refs could have called traveling or a blocking foul but instead decided to "let them play", which was probably a defensible choice at that point.

sancho
02-20-2014, 10:24 AM
Bach traveled but was also getting bumped the whole way by the defender (Zeus, I assume). The refs could have called traveling or a blocking foul but instead decided to "let them play", which was probably a defensible choice at that point.

Wish they'd called the foul. I would have loved to watch 'zeus' whine one more time.

sancho
02-20-2014, 10:25 AM
I was really surprised and happy to see Delon attempt the dunk at the end of the half. Too bad it popped out.

UBlender
02-20-2014, 10:27 AM

I've been banging this drum all season. I feel like Utah has more depth than Larry allows. We see these flashes of Ogbe and Fields, we know they can play. Of course they will have freshman moments, but the upside is there both in the short- and long-run for more consistent minutes from those guys. It has been driving me crazy all year to see Wright play 40 minutes a game and Loveridge play 38. I find it hard to believe that we can't get these guys 2-3 minutes of rest each half without everything going to hell.

One encouraging thing from last night was that we made that second half run with Wright on the bench. Hopefully, that will give Larry the confidence to give him some rest. Personally, I think there's a connection between Wright playing all 40 and not being able to finish games strong, leading to close losses. I also think Wright has been slowing down overall in the last couple of weeks. He needs some rest.

Oh and if anyone can figure out what in the world is going on with Dakarai Tucker I would love to know.

DrumNFeather
02-20-2014, 10:29 AM
I've been banging this drum all season. I feel like Utah has more depth than Larry allows. We see these flashes of Ogbe and Fields, we know they can play. Of course they will have freshman moments, but the upside is there both in the short- and long-run for more consistent minutes from those guys. It has been driving me crazy all year to see Wright play 40 minutes a game and Loveridge play 38. I find it hard to believe that we can't get these guys 2-3 minutes of rest each half without everything going to hell.

One encouraging thing from last night was that we made that second half run with Wright on the bench. Hopefully, that will give Larry the confidence to give him some rest. Personally, I think there's a connection between Wright playing all 40 and not being able to finish games strong, leading to close losses. I also think Wright has been slowing down overall in the last couple of weeks. He needs some rest.

Oh and if anyone can figure out what in the world is going on with Dakarai Tucker I would love to know.

I agree.

Wright has been pushing a lot lately...and I think we saw last night that Onwas and Fields can really help create good looks for him. This will be paramount heading into the Pac 12 tournament.

sancho
02-20-2014, 10:38 AM

What needs to be figured out? He shoots 40% from behind the line. He has limited ball-handling skills, limited defensive ability, and limited rebounding ability. He is who he is. Sometimes we need that shooting. It has been big for us numerous times this season.

I don't know if the rebounding/defense/ball-handling will ever improve. Maybe Coach should tell Tucker that if he doesn't get either an offensive rebound or an over-the-back call in the first 3 minutes against ASU, he will come out of the game for a good long while.

Right now, we have 3 shooters on the team - Taylor, Tucker, and Ogbe. Loveridge and Van Dyke are supposed to be shooters as well, but that hasn't panned out. That's why we need Tucker. Or we need to see if the walk-on from Snow can rebound better than Tucker. But we have to have shooters out there.

LA Ute
02-20-2014, 10:38 AM
I was really surprised and happy to see Delon attempt the dunk at the end of the half. Too bad it popped out.

We were fortunate that they didn't turn that missed dunk into an immediate trey at the other end.

UBlender
02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
What needs to be figured out?

Why he can't be adequate enough at defense and rebounding to stay on the court and take advantage of his very good shooting ability. I am loving Onwas right now, but when we have him and Wright on the floor together, the defense can really sag and make it harder for anyone to attack the rim. As you said, we need Tucker's shooting, but he seems to be getting fewer and fewer minutes due to his failings in other areas. This is a problem. He either needs to buy in on both ends or make way for Ogbe and Fields to see more time. I really like Dakarai but can't understand what's going on right now. With his length and quickness he should be good at those other things too.

SeattleUte
02-20-2014, 10:54 AM
Guys, no worries. If Loveridge and Taylor had made the free throws Arizona would still have figured out a way to beat us. That's the difference between us and them right now. That can and should change sometime between now and this time next season.

LA Ute
02-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Guys, no worries. If Loveridge and Taylor had made the free throws Arizona would still have figured out a way to beat us. That's the difference between us and them right now. That can and should change sometime between now and this time next season.

I think you are right. Since before the season the great majority of us thought the NIT would be a great sign of progress for this team. Then they played better than expected and fan expectations shot up. The Utes are actually right on schedule, to the extent we fans can impose reasonable and realistic expectations.

UTEopia
02-20-2014, 11:50 AM
Encouraged or discouraged by last night? Another close but no cigar game. I guess I would have to say that I am encouraged more than discouraged, although like the Oregon game at the time, this is a game the Utes had every opportunity to win. They failed to do so and it is difficult to see that changing until it actually does. ASU is the key game down the stretch. Will they be hungover? Will they come out and play like they did against Oregon St. after the Oregon loss.

SeattleUte
02-20-2014, 11:58 AM
Encouraged or discouraged by last night? Another close but no cigar game. I guess I would have to say that I am encouraged more than discouraged, although like the Oregon game at the time, this is a game the Utes had every opportunity to win. They failed to do so and it is difficult to see that changing until it actually does. ASU is the key game down the stretch. Will they be hungover? Will they come out and play like they did against Oregon St. after the Oregon loss.

A strong suit seems to be Larry's ability to motivate these guys. They really haven't come out and just laid an egg yet this season.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
I think you are right. Since before the season the great majority of us thought the NIT would be a great sign of progress for this team. Then they played better than expected and fan expectations shot up. The Utes are actually right on schedule, to the extent we fans can impose reasonable and realistic expectations.

Yes and no. I'd be in full agreement if we had some more decisive losses sprinkled in. That were consistently on the short end of these kind of games when mere standard deviation should be helping us out is what troubles me most.

Hot Lunch
02-20-2014, 12:18 PM

Very encouraged. We just took the number 4 team in the country to overtime. We return all the key pieces of this team for next year and add better talent with the incoming class than what we currently have on the roster not named Delon Wright. This is tough, they are young and are probably 2 players away from being at the top of a really good league.

Like you said, ASU will be a key game. This game will speak volumes of how far this team has really come. Can we recover vs. a good team and continue to play well at home or do we fold after a heart breaking loss? I am also looking forward to the upcoming road trip to the bay area. It will be good to see if this team can finish strong on the road and learn from past mistakes.

SeattleUte
02-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Yes and no. I'd be in full agreement if we had some more decisive losses sprinkled in. That were consistently on the short end of these kind of games when mere standard deviation should be helping us out is what troubles me most.

This makes no sense. You'd feel better if they'd been blown out a few times?

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 01:45 PM
This makes no sense. You'd feel better if they'd been blown out a few times?

Not blown out, but I'm talking about losses in the 7-10 point range. We're in too many one-possession games that we ultimately lose and are too good at home for us to be potentially "rewarded" with a 10th place finish in the standings, which is where we finished last year. As a result, I wouldn't be teased about this team's potential, only to be disappointed at the end of close games.

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, take a look at our scoring differential in league games. We outscore opponents by about 2 points per game. So does ASU and Cal, yet the Sun Devils and Bears are 2.5 games ahead of us in the standings. Colorado outscores teams in league games by less than a point per game and is 3 games ahead of us.

This kind of disparity drives me crazy. Either win the games and be with ASU and Cal, or be more in line with your peers -- Washington is getting outscored by 4.5 PPG; Oregon State by 2.5 PPG. Assessing this team in black and white would be MUCH easier if we weren't filled with so much gray.

LA Ute
02-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Some props from PAC-12 Hoops:

Arizona 67, Utah 63 OT - Have you guys heard of Fantex Holdings (https://fantex.com/)? It’s a company that’s creating value out of an athlete’s earning potential and allowing you to buy stock in that potential. The athlete makes money, you make money. It’s literally stock in an indvidual. Now somewhere in there I’ve violated an NCAA rule but if I’m buying futures on a program I’m buying up some Utah. They’re a year away from really shaking things up but that’s discredit to what they’re capable of doing right now. I could go into the Luck thing again but we’re all sick of that at this point (though I did find it WILDLY ironic – or probably coincidental, sue me – that the Utah band was playing Daft Punk’s Lucky out of one of the closing timeouts). That’s a tough team and a more talented team than Larry K had initially given them credit for. They were getting the best possible shot Arizona has in them at this point for 30 minutes, fouled Aaron Gordon out of the game and used all that momentum to have a free throw for a lead in the last minute. They missed it.

http://pachoops.com/2014/02/on-last-nights-monster-pac-12-slate/

UBlender
02-20-2014, 01:52 PM

Can I answer after I see how UA does at CU this weekend? I am still not sure how good UA is without Brandon Ashley. They are good, but did we lose to a top five team or to a 20-25 ranked team who is masquerading as a top five team based on accomplishments with a player who is out now? If UA beats CU then I will feel a lot better about it. Right now I think CU wins, though.

sancho
02-20-2014, 02:29 PM
This kind of disparity drives me crazy. Either win the games and be with ASU and Cal, or be more in line with your peers -- Washington is getting outscored by 4.5 PPG; Oregon State by 2.5 PPG. Assessing this team in black and white would be MUCH easier if we weren't filled with so much gray.

I guess this means that we are better than UW and Oregon State, but not as good as ASU or Cal. Sagarin agrees with that. It's just frustrating to be better than our record indicates.

Oregon fans must feel more or less the same. They have lost a lot of close games to good teams. They are clearly a good - not great - team whose conference record doesn't tell the whole story.

Of the bottom half of the Pac-12 teams, Utah and Oregon are the two that other teams are hoping not to draw in Vegas.

Solon
02-20-2014, 05:17 PM

I generally agree with this, but Utah out-rebounded Arizona 37-31.
IMO, the difference in the game was Loveridge's 1-12 night from the field.
That, or the 3 missed dunks. I like the leaps, but the Utes could have used another point at the end of regulation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506087

LA Ute
02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
FWIW, Kodiak's post-Arizona game presser. At 1:30 he seems a little annoyed at the question we are all asking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ao5TQ-wDL8#t=41

concerned
02-21-2014, 03:42 PM
FWIW, Kodiak's post-Arizona game presser. At 1:30 he seems a little annoyed at the question we are all asking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ao5TQ-wDL8#t=41

He says it is a silly question, because it is the question he is asking too and doesnt know the answer. Psychology 101 says it is a defense mechanism. He was not in a good mood.

LA Ute
02-21-2014, 03:58 PM
He says it is a silly question, because it is the question he is asking too and doesnt know the answer. Psychology 101 says it is a defense mechanism. He was not in a good mood.

Maybe he's thinking, "!?#??!!, if I knew the answer to that it wouldn't be happening." I really don't think it is a silly question. Painful, and not artfully asked, but not silly.

concerned
02-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Maybe he's thinking, "!?#??!!, if I knew the answer to that it wouldn't be happening." I really don't think it is a silly question. Painful, and not artfully asked, but not silly.

exactly.

SoCalPat
02-21-2014, 06:03 PM

And Larry owned up to his responsibility in it all after the same reporter asked a follow-up about Jordan. That's good.

concerned
02-22-2014, 08:51 AM
fwiw, I heard Bill and Hans interview Larry K last night driving home. Hans asked the very same silly question, and LK gave a much different, thoughtful response. the long and short: Larry said it comes down to youth and experience, both the players and the coaches. He said they have to learn how to close a close game, and he has to do a better job putting them in position. he said he has to get better too.

LA Ute
02-22-2014, 09:46 AM
fwiw, I heard Bill and Hans interview Larry K last night driving home. Hans asked the very same silly question, and LK gave a much different, thoughtful response. the long and short: Larry said it comes down to youth and experience, both the players and the coaches. He said they have to learn how to close a close game, and he has to do a better job putting them in position. he said he has to get better too.

The question and answer are at about 9:00 here:

http://espn.kall700sports.com/larry-krystkowiak-utah-head-coach-2-21-14/

LA Ute
02-22-2014, 08:47 PM
Arizona blowing CU out right now. Up 23 with 7:30 to go. Impressive.

DrumNFeather
02-22-2014, 08:50 PM
Arizona blowing CU out right now. Up 23 with 7:30 to go. Impressive.

Makes one feel a little better about our loss on Wed, and about our next two at home.