PDA

View Full Version : Rumble in the Rockies - the Utah-Colorado thread

UtahsMrSports
01-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Gonna be fun Wednesday night!

Old Standing ute
01-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Their Big guy--Josh Scott did not play this weekend--back spasms.
He was a load last year--Utes doubled him every touch.

we beat them either way.

UtahsMrSports
01-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Their Big guy--Josh Scott did not play this weekend--back spasms.
He was a load last year--Utes doubled him every touch.

we beat them either way.

Colorado has always been somewhat of a matchup problem for us, especially with Loveridge at the 3. This year, with Poeltl and Reyes in there, that is much much less of an advantage for them, at least in theory.

U-Ute
01-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Colorado has always been somewhat of a matchup problem for us, especially with Loveridge at the 3. This year, with Poeltl and Reyes in there, that is much much less of an advantage for them, at least in theory.

Poeltl and Reyes are big keys to this game. With Poeltl, we can match their size. With Reyes, we can match their toughness on the boards.

The bench play is going to be huge too. They have been fantastic so far and continuing that will be huge. We need to continue to have our bench contribute when Booker, Johnson, and Scott aren't on the floor.

U-Ute
02-04-2015, 04:47 PM
What's the scoop with injuries for Colorado this year? I know they were decimated shortly after our home game with them. Have those guys come back yet?

UBlender
02-04-2015, 09:38 PM
What's the scoop with injuries for Colorado this year? I know they were decimated shortly after our home game with them. Have those guys come back yet?

Xavier Johnson is back, Josh Scott has been in and out and last I heard was questionable for Saturday.

NorthwestUteFan
02-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Askiah Booker poured in 41 points vs USC, so I hope we can find a solution to keep him bottled up.

Diehard Ute
02-05-2015, 07:37 AM
Askiah Booker poured in 41 points vs USC, so I hope we can find a solution to keep him bottled up.

Pretty sure that last game against the Utes won't leave us lacking motivation.

UBlender
02-05-2015, 07:46 AM

My worry with Booker is that he's one of those guys that loves to drive into the lane, throw his body into defenders and get a bail-out foul called. At home, I'm afraid he'll get those calls and shoot way too many free throws.

SoCalPat
02-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Xavier Johnson is back, Josh Scott has been in and out and last I heard was questionable for Saturday.

The 28 minutes Scott played against us in the first meeting are the only minutes he's played in 2015. The coach-speak I'm reading from Boyle suggests he's probably not going to play Saturday. (Personally, I think CU is looking ahead to Vegas).

I'm worried about this game. Johnson will be motivated, coming off a 0-point, 6-rebound effort vs. UCLA. Booker was humiliated in our last meeting, the game is at CU and we're wildly inconsistent on the road. They are also a better rebounding team than Utah and have the requisite number of athletic 3s (Johnson, Gordon, Fletcher, Hopkins) to make our life miserable. If we put in similar efforts on the boards like we did vs. Arizona and UCLA, we will get beaten soundly.

Utebiquitous
02-05-2015, 09:19 AM
With a week off and week to prepare we don't get beaten soundly. I don't think we'll see another game this season where the effort is weak - a la UCLA. That isn't to say we won't get beaten on the boards. We need Reyes to rebound very well and Delon needs to get a few more as well. We simply aren't seeing strong rebounding from Dallin or Jordan so a few of our longer guards need to get more involved - Delon, Tucker, Ogbe. I see this game as a low-scoring, down-to-the-wire one. I'd love to see us scratch out a close one.

LA Ute
02-05-2015, 10:45 AM
Phil Cullen's pre-game e-mail:

Life on the road is never easy in the Pac-12 and it will be same for us this weekend. Colorado is 9-2 at home this year and will have their top three scorers healthy and back in the lineup.

Askia Booker continues to lead the Buffaloes at 18 ppg and is coming off a 43-point performance at USC. Booker has almost three times as many shot attempts as the next highest player on their roster and is capable of scoring in bunches. Xavier Johnson is back from a sprained ankle that he suffered playing here in the Huntsman Center. Johnson is averaging 12 ppg and 5 rpg. Josh Scott back from a lower back injury is a presence down low averaging 14 ppg and 7 rpg.

For us this game is about controlling tempo and holding them to one shot. Colorado in the past has rebounded the ball extremely well against us, especially at home. They have one of the better student sections in our conference that create a tough road environment. Last year we got off to a good start but were not able to close out the game. Learning from our past we are hoping to prepare ourselves for a win in Boulder. You can catch our game at 8pm on the Pac-12 Network.

LA Ute
02-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Nice PAC-12 Hoops article, with lots about Larry K:

http://pachoops.com/2015/02/the-drive-ep-2-recap-boyle-blurred-buffs-larry-leader/

U-Ute
02-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Larry needs to call the "Pistol-Hammer" play more often. It really helps our defensive stats.

U-Ute
02-06-2015, 10:02 AM
The guys on the radio this morning said there are rumors Scott will play.

I don't know how effective he will be given the lack of minutes he has had so far this year.

Booker is the guy to lock down. X is the emotional leader.

Old Standing ute
02-07-2015, 02:16 PM
Vegas has it Utah by 5. sounds familiar.

this game will prove if Utes can win on the road---they have more depth, so should be the better team, but they need to man up to prove it.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 04:53 PM
The game tonight just got a little bit more important.

Come on boys!

U-Ute
02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Kyle Goon tweeted that CU athletic department announced that Askia Booker will not be playing tonight.

Dwight Schr-Ute
02-07-2015, 07:36 PM
The game tonight just got a little bit more important.

Come on boys!

And a little bit easier with Booker out.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Yeah, what a break. Hope we can take advantage.

LA Ute
02-07-2015, 08:17 PM

Yes, because we've been told we can't guard him. ;)

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Well there goes the shut out.

LA Ute
02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Bach for three as the shot clock runs out!!

chrisrenrut
02-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Interesting that Kuzma gets in before Chapman tonight.

LA Ute
02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
I hope these guys will keep the pedal to the metal all game long.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Sad when you get a hook shot blocked that badly.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 09:20 PM
Delon potentially out for the second half.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Started the second half 3-3 from behind the arc, then took two bad ones. Up 20, don't fall in love with the 3.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Delon potentially out for the second half.
Well, he's back so...

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Olsen is limited, but love that he just goes up to the basket when he gets the ball down low. None of this power dribble nonsense, just straight up and in. Dallin, take note.

chrisrenrut
02-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Taylor is 6-9 for 3's so far tonight, and has 6 assists.

DrumNFeather
02-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Well this is a nice performance.

SeattleUte
02-07-2015, 10:04 PM
This teams scores pattern is crazy. Every Pac 12 win a total blow out, and two really lackluster losses.

But I think before the season any of us would take where we are.

1Colonial
02-07-2015, 10:11 PM
This teams scores pattern is crazy. Every Pac 12 win a total blow out, and two really lackluster losses.

This is shaping up to be a special end to the season. Loveridge was outstanding tonight and Taylor is a freaking bulldog. So much fun to watch! I am a spoiled 1998 grad that loved the Majerus years .

I love this team just as much as those teams.

Go Utes!

concerned
02-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Interesting that Dakari Tucker started the 2nd half when Delon cramped. Wonder if Taylor will be the point guard next year, Dakari the 2, with isiah Wright the 6th man.

1Colonial
02-07-2015, 10:20 PM
That was a great spurt at the start of the second without Delon...

Mormon Red Death
02-07-2015, 10:44 PM

18-4 against the spread as well.

sancho
02-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Got back from Boulder about an hour ago. A good time was had by me.

Utebiquitous
02-07-2015, 11:41 PM
I've ripped Jordan for road play so I better praise when it's deserved. What a terrific game for him - 11 points and 10 rebounds. Really solid. How about Kuzma? Where did that effort come from. It would be terrific to have him fill up a stat sheet like that on a consistent basis. Good win. I hoped that this team would play .500 on the road in the Pac-12. This puts them on the road to finish above that with splits so far and now the win in Boulder. It's a lot to ask to get two let alone three of their remaining four road games but if they keep defending like this I think they will get two or three.

justaute
02-07-2015, 11:58 PM
Agreed on both accounts. Regarding Kuzma, I'm hopeful he will improve between-the-ears. He has the physical tools, but he just seems lost all the time; and, his defense sucks.

Oh, Chapman needs to get tougher on D. Just because you are skinny that doesn't mean you can't be tough and go banging. He picks up way too many ticky-tack fouls by reaching-in, standing straight-up but lowering his arms, and going for half-hearted blocks. Either jump hard for the block or standing tall/tough to take charges. The coaching staff teaches standing tall/tough -- then let's do that.

I've ripped Jordan for road play so I better praise when it's deserved. What a terrific game for him - 11 points and 10 rebounds. Really solid. How about Kuzma? Where did that effort come from. It would be terrific to have him fill up a stat sheet like that on a consistent basis. Good win. I hoped that this team would play .500 on the road in the Pac-12. This puts them on the road to finish above that with splits so far and now the win in Boulder. It's a lot to ask to get two let alone three of their remaining four road games but if they keep defending like this I think they will get two or three.

Applejack
02-08-2015, 08:04 AM
I missed the game because the eastern time zone sucks. What is the hype about Kuze? Did he have a good game? Also, sancho, we need an in house report.

U-Ute
02-08-2015, 08:30 AM
I missed the game because the eastern time zone sucks. What is the hype about Kuze? Did he have a good game? Also, sancho, we need an in house report.

Athletecism coming out his ears. Likes to shoot and is pretty good at it. Doesn't know where to stand when he is on he floor.

sancho
02-08-2015, 08:35 AM

Time to start looking for law firms in the west. I'm sure Denver could use another lawyer.

Kuze got more minutes than usual since Chapman was under the weather. He did more or less what you would expect him to do - played with energy, scored, dunked the ball, airballed an open three pointer, hit two other threes, grabbed some rebounds. Only turned it over once. It was fun to watch him. I think as long as we don't expect him to turn into some kind of polished machine, we can enjoy him doing good things for us for years.

In house report? I like the Buffs' place. I was able to get tickets pretty cheap, but I was on a bleacher seat with no back. I had friendly interaction with the CU fans around me. I told them I was there last year when they beat us, and they seemed to think it was fair that I get a win this time. For a team that is struggling, they had a good sized crowd. We didn't really give the crowd much of a chance to get into the game, but they did get loud when CU cut the lead to 6 in the first half. They were on their feet, and there was some energy. The best moment for the home fans, though, was when Scott checked in for the first time. A nice, loud ovation for him. Brandon Taylor's three as the clock expired in the first half completely drained the life out of the crowd. There was some hope in the building until that shot went through. A 12 point lead just seemed much bigger than a 9. And then we started the 2nd half with 3-3-3, and it was 21 points and game over.

Larry K wore his red blazer. We had our trademark 5 minute scoring drought in the first half.

LA Ute
02-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Thinking about the subject of basketball IQ, I came across this piece about Andrew Bogut:

Andrew Bogut’s Basketball I.Q. Leads Warriors To Victory

http://bluemanhoop.com/2014/11/27/andrew-boguts-basketball-i-q-leads-warriors-to-victory/

Applejack
02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Time to start looking for law firms in the west. I'm sure Denver could use another lawyer.

Kuze got more minutes than usual since Chapman was under the weather. He did more or less what you would expect him to do - played with energy, scored, dunked the ball, airballed an open three pointer, hit two other threes, grabbed some rebounds. Only turned it over once. It was fun to watch him. I think as long as we don't expect him to turn into some kind of polished machine, we can enjoy him doing good things for us for years.

In house report? I like the Buffs' place. I was able to get tickets pretty cheap, but I was on a bleacher seat with no back. I had friendly interaction with the CU fans around me. I told them I was there last year when they beat us, and they seemed to think it was fair that I get a win this time. For a team that is struggling, they had a good sized crowd. We didn't really give the crowd much of a chance to get into the game, but they did get loud when CU cut the lead to 6 in the first half. They were on their feet, and there was some energy. The best moment for the home fans, though, was when Scott checked in for the first time. A nice, loud ovation for him. Brandon Taylor's three as the clock expired in the first half completely drained the life out of the crowd. There was some hope in the building until that shot went through. A 12 point lead just seemed much bigger than a 9. And then we started the 2nd half with 3-3-3, and it was 21 points and game over.

Larry K wore his red blazer. We had our trademark 5 minute scoring drought in the first half.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the red blazer? Is it like that old weatherman Bob Eubank's white jacket, where it meant snow was on the way (or he was heading to the temple)? I think Larry should only wear it when we plan on destroying teams.

I would love to move back West. But, alas, my job is pretty D.C.-centric and my wife is an East Coaster. Double whammy.

Mormon Red Death
02-08-2015, 10:01 AM
Is there any rhyme or reason to the red blazer? Is it like that old weatherman Bob Eubank's white jacket, where it meant snow was on the way (or he was heading to the temple)? I think Larry should only wear it when we plan on destroying teams.

I would love to move back West. But, alas, my job is pretty D.C.-centric and my wife is an East Coaster. Double whammy.
I'm in North Carolina and I watched the game. It's actually nice some times. All the kids are in bed and it's only two hours. The football games OTOH ending at 3 in the morning can suck.

Applejack
02-08-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm in North Carolina and I watched the game. It's actually nice some times. All the kids are in bed and it's only two hours. The football games OTOH ending at 3 in the morning can suck.

Agreed, basketball is much more doable than football. The nice thing is that I can watch 3 of the next 5 (damn OSU at 11:00 and ASU at 10:30 on a work night). I'm still hoping for an afternoon tip for the UofA game.

justaute
02-08-2015, 10:36 AM
To be candid, I really like to see how CU does with its Big 3 healthy and playing together. Never really want to see players hurt.

When I was playing, I always wanted to measure myself when the opponent is at its best.

Scratch
02-08-2015, 11:02 AM

I assumed it was his rivalry jacket. He's only worn it for BYU and CU, right?

Applejack
02-08-2015, 11:53 AM
To be candid, I really like to see how CU does with its Big 3 healthy and playing together. Never really want to see players hurt.

When I was playing, I always wanted to measure myself when the opponent is at its best.

They will be an interesting team next year. They only lose Asika (which is a big loss), but a lot of conference teams don't lose anything of substance (OSU, UW, etc).

I assumed it was his rivalry jacket. He's only worn it for BYU and CU, right?

Nice try, Larry. CU is not a hated rival. They are just hated.

LA Ute
02-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Nice try, Larry. CU is not a hated rival. They are just hated.

I think Larry's just trying to adopt the company line.

LA Ute
02-08-2015, 07:28 PM
This quote is for Seattle Ute:

"I didn't really care about the rankings," Taylor said. "I think that it is a signature win for us to go into Colorado and beat them. It's very hard to win here."

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2152994-155/utah-basketball-utes-rout-colorado-to?fullpage=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrumNFeather
02-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Agreed, basketball is much more doable than football. The nice thing is that I can watch 3 of the next 5 (damn OSU at 11:00 and ASU at 10:30 on a work night). I'm still hoping for an afternoon tip for the UofA game.

One of these days we'll get you out to the sticks to watch a game with me, and potentially board legend UtahDan.

SoCalPat
02-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Saw it tweeted several times the other night once the margin got over 30: No team in D-1 punishes average teams like Utah does.

You can name the line on whatever team Utah plays in the first round of the Dance, but I'll gladly lay the points, TYVM.

Has to be a frustrating year for Colorado. Four losses by 3 points or less and haven't played a league game with their true starting 5. I think they take a lot of frustration out on Arizona in a couple of weeks and pull the Cats back into a first-place tie heading into our game against them (I'm not sold that we can sweep our Oregon roadie)

Applejack
02-09-2015, 09:37 AM
One of these days we'll get you out to the sticks to watch a game with me, and potentially board legend UtahDan.

Not at 11 pm on a worknight you won't!

DrumNFeather
02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
Not at 11 pm on a worknight you won't!

Yeah, that Oregon St. tip is a bit of a letdown.

LA Ute
02-09-2015, 04:44 PM
“Those guys were really good tonight. I told our guys in the locker room that’s what a top-15 team looks like. They played like it tonight. They took it to us in every single way,” Boyle said. “They made every open shot. We weren’t good enough defensively. We weren’t good enough offensively. It was just a good old-fashioned (butt)-whooping.”

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865621480/Colorado-coach-Tad-Boyle-on-Utah-Thats-what-a-top-15-team-looks-like.html