PDA

View Full Version : So what does Utah do when the federal government decriminalizes marijuana?

jrj84105
06-26-2015, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure if federal decriminalization of marijuana will happen before or after Utah legalizes "medical" marijuana. That may have some bearing. Will the State Liquor Store also be our pot dispensary or will Utah have perpetual prohibition?

NorthwestUteFan
06-26-2015, 08:56 PM
I sure hope they legalize something soon. Cannibidiol is the only thing that seems to control my niece's seizures. They have a medical MJ permit, but still it is very tough to obtain the low-THC oil blends in Utah.

NorthwestUteFan
06-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Washington set up the licensing in an interesting way. If you operate a pot shop it must be your only source of income. IIRC you are allowed to run only one shop. It must be larger than a certain minimum square ft area, and obviously market forces will keep this from being too large.

This way we should avoid the situation where one large owner can corner the market in various communities, as it appears to be in Colorado.

jrj84105
06-27-2015, 12:52 AM
I sure hope they legalize something soon. Cannibidiol is the only thing that seems to control my niece's seizures. They have a medical MJ permit, but still it is very tough to obtain the low-THC oil blends in Utah.
In a recent poll, I think it was somewhere in the low 70% range of Utah residents in favor of legalizing medical marijuana. It's been a couple years since the low THC oils became legal right? Disappointing to hear they are so hard to get.

NorthwestUteFan
06-28-2015, 09:03 PM
Let's just say the growers took a long time to see the value in a low-THC strain. And now that there are a few high-cannibidiol/low-THC strains available, it is a matter of going through the growth cycle. One of the best on the market only has two crops per year, and those are relatively low yield.

It takes a lot of buds to generate a vial of oil.

mUUser
10-11-2018, 03:34 PM
So my inclination is to vote in favor of Prop 2 (Medical Marijuana) in Utah. Not sure I understand the full arguments of a "NAY" vote. Give me the arguments to vote against prop 2.

Rocker Ute
10-11-2018, 07:21 PM
So my inclination is to vote in favor of Prop 2 (Medical Marijuana) in Utah. Not sure I understand the full arguments of a "NAY" vote. Give me the arguments to vote against prop 2.

At this point it is irrelevant. Both sides have come to an agreement that will be worked out in legislation whether this passes or not.

The main criticism (and I believe a valid one) is how it was dispensed. Those opposed wanted it to be distributed doctor prescribed and fulfilled by licensed pharmacists. Also concern over provisions for people to grow their own pot. I believe both of those concerns have been addressed or will be with the new legislation.

Speaking to friends in CA, to get pot there, you walk in and a "doctor" says, "What's wrong?" You say, "It hurts when I do this." He says okay and writes you a script to get pot in a dispensary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk