PDA

View Full Version : Hey concerned! Like the SI cover you have. There's a Utah tie to that issue of SI.i

Corvan
03-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Do you know what it is?

concerned
03-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Do you know what it is?

no idea. this cover has special meaning for me. I was a young boy and Koufax was my hero. I was devastated when he was injured at 14-7 in the summer of 62 and the hated Giants caught the Dodger's and beat them in a three game playoff to win the pennant. I remember my dad driving home for work and telling me the Dodgers had lost the playoff. (My brother was a huge Giants and Willie Mays fan).

That Xmas, I got a SI subscription; one of the first issues I received was this one; at least it is the one I remember. I saved it, along with a 65 SI cover of the Packers beating the Colts.

concerned
03-11-2013, 12:11 PM
no idea. this cover has special meaning for me. I was a young boy and Koufax was my hero. I was devastated when he was injured at 14-7 in the summer of 62 and the hated Giants caught the Dodger's and beat them in a three game playoff to win the pennant. I remember my dad driving home for work and telling me the Dodgers had lost the playoff. (My brother was a huge Giants and Willie Mays fan).

That Xmas, I got a SI subscription; one of the first issues I received was this one; at least it is the one I remember. I saved it, along with a 65 SI cover of the Packers beating the Colts.

Does it have to do with Wayne Estes? The more I think about it, that would have been a year earlier.

Corvan
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1074575/1/index.htm

The Only Game In Panguitch, UtahBasketball is the winter sport obsession of small-town America, and nowhere is this more evident than in water-poor but tall-boy-rich Panguitch, where high school hero Wally Ortman stands in a vacant corral that serves as makeshift court for the neighborhood
That's my home town. What's funny is the article's main focus throughout is "Wally Ortman". The only problem with that is that his name was Wally Orton. Imagine being a 17-year old kid from a town of about 1,500 people being featured in a national publication and they spell your name wrong. LOL.

My favorite line in the article. "I have never seen a Negro," said the mother of one of the basketball players.

concerned
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
how did you know that?

Corvan
03-11-2013, 12:49 PM
My great grandmother was one of the original settlers of Panguitch. My dad, who was probably was less interested in sports of any kind than anyone in history had that issue of SI on his nightstand for as long as he was alive. I always liked it because I was a huge Dodgers fan when I was young although more of a Drysdale guy than Koufax. Used to listen to Vin Scully on KFI at night. I knew that cover the second I saw it.

concerned
03-11-2013, 12:54 PM
that a great story; I used to listen to KFI at night too. Vin Scully along with Jerry Doggett.

FMCoug
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1074575/1/index.htm

The Only Game In Panguitch, UtahBasketball is the winter sport obsession of small-town America, and nowhere is this more evident than in water-poor but tall-boy-rich Panguitch, where high school hero Wally Ortman stands in a vacant corral that serves as makeshift court for the neighborhood
That's my home town. What's funny is the article's main focus throughout is "Wally Ortman". The only problem with that is that his name was Wally Orton. Imagine being a 17-year old kid from a town of about 1,500 people being featured in a national publication and they spell your name wrong. LOL.

My favorite line in the article. "I have never seen a Negro," said the mother of one of the basketball players.

That was a great read.

LA Ute
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
that a great story; I used to listen to KFI at night too. Vin Scully along with Jerry Doggett.

So did I. I spent many evenings with my transistor radio hidden under my pillow, secretly listening. KFI is still broadcasting a 50,000 watt clear channel signal. Sadly, all talk radio now.

Corvan
03-11-2013, 03:42 PM
LA, I did the same thing. Where I ran into trouble was when I'd fall asleep and the 9V battery would die during the night.

LA Ute
03-11-2013, 03:54 PM
LA, I did the same thing. Where I ran into trouble was when I'd fall asleep and the 9V battery would die during the night.

Yes, that was a repeated occurrence! I remember trying to find ways to earn the money to buy a new 9V battery without being too obvious about what I was up to.

Corvan
03-11-2013, 04:22 PM
The Panguitch house. First permanent structure built in the town.

GarthUte
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Corvan - do you know Kelly Holman? He and I served together in Italy.

My dad is from Escalante.

Corvan
03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't recognize the name, Garth. I know we have relatives in the Escalante area as well.

concerned
03-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Yes, that was a repeated occurrence! I remember trying to find ways to earn the money to buy a new 9V battery without being too obvious about what I was up to.

I always liked to put the battery on my tongue to see if it was dead, but then I am a masochist.