PDA

View Full Version : Receivers Have To Earn Their Numbers

Diehard Ute
03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Per a tweet from Kurt Kragthorpe Utah's receivers have been given numbers in the 30's and 40's for spring ball and will have to earn the right to pick the one they want.

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Per a tweet from Kurt Kragthorpe Utah's receivers have been given numbers in the 30's and 40's for spring ball and will have to earn the right to pick the one they want.

That's awesome.

On a related note, I'm pretty sure I read a note about how the NCAA is forbidding the use of dual numbers. In the past, you could have one player on offense and one on defense wearing the same number -- think Sean Smith and Matt Asiata on the 2008 team. That might make the competition to earn those numbers even more intense.

MTM
03-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Just for Spring Ball or for the season?

And why the 30s and 40s?

I understand promoting competition but how about just earning the right to PT not an obscure jersey number?

If I'm #9 I don't see the chance to wear #37 be a great motivator.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it sounds kinda dumb to me.

Diehard Ute
03-14-2013, 05:11 PM

And why the 30s and 40s?

I understand promoting competition but how about just earning the right to PT not an obscure jersey number?

Receivers usually have numbers from 1 to 20 or in the 80's, and they pick those numbers in spring for the season.

So none of them will get the usual receiver numbers and instead will be in numbers usually used by running backs, defensive backs and linebackers, having to earn their preferred numbers back in their usual range.

Hot Lunch
03-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Receivers usually have numbers from 1 to 20 or in the 80's, and they pick those numbers in spring for the season.

So none of them will get the usual receiver numbers and instead will be in numbers usually used by running backs, defensive backs and linebackers, having to earn their preferred numbers back in their usual range.

This is actually pretty funny. Seeing Dres Anderson running around wearing 66 would make me laugh.

Jeromy in SLC
03-14-2013, 05:36 PM
And why the 30s and 40s?

Those are usually RB/FB numbers, so maybe the point is "No block? No rock."

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM

And why the 30s and 40s?

Some of these guys have bling with their number on it. Or they've worn it since high school. Or they wear it in honor of someone.

The number almost always has some kind of personal significance for a player.

As for the 30s and 40s, those are numbers for eligible receivers. They can't be given any other number and be on be field; conversely, no receiver would ever choose 30-49 as his number.