PDA

View Full Version : Rice at Rutgers is fired

dabrockster
04-03-2013, 09:01 AM
I saw the video of his actions. What are your thoughts? Should he have been fired or not?

I am wondering why the AD didn't fire him back in December. His actions seem pretty extreme and warranted him losing his job.

The AD should be taking lots of heat for this. How does he repair his own reputation as the guy who kept him after viewing the video etc.. My Rutgers buddy is ignoring me right now.. ;)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9125864

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 09:06 AM
I saw the video of his actions. What are your thoughts? Should he have been fired or not?

I am wondering why the AD didn't fire him back in December. His actions seem pretty extreme and warranted him losing his job.

The AD should be taking lots of heat for this. How does he repair his own reputation as the guy who kept him after viewing the video etc.. My Rutgers buddy is ignoring me right now.. ;)

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9125864

Dan Patrick was asking about this AD this morning. I guess the AD called the objectionable behavior a "first offense." Patrick wondered which video was the first offense. I think that AD's job is in trouble.

Interesting panel discussion about coaching techniques here (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9125864).

Two Utes
04-03-2013, 09:19 AM
I believe coaches should have wide lattitude over discipline and instruction. But you simply can't hit, push and throw stuff at kids--period. You cross the line under any standard. He's throwing basketballs at kids heads. Are you kidding me?

He should have been shit canned immediately when the AD found out.

Jeff Lebowski
04-03-2013, 09:27 AM
I predict the AD will be fired too. Those video clips are unreal.

Youtube is changing society.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I believe coaches should have wide lattitude over discipline and instruction. But you simply can't hit, push and throw stuff at kids--period. You cross the line under any standard. He's throwing basketballs at kids heads. Are you kidding me?

He should have been shit canned immediately when the AD found out.

Or use homophobic epithets at a public institution of higher learning that has already endured a huge stain to its reputation in light of Tyler Clementi's suicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Tyler_Clementi

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
In this day and age when you know that this will get leaked, you HAVE to get out ahead of the story and that kind of nonsense cant be tolerated.

CardiacCoug
04-03-2013, 09:55 AM
I predict the AD will be fired too. Those video clips are unreal.

Youtube is changing society.

Yep, I think the question the AD and University President should have asked themselves a few months ago is "What will the public response to this stuff be if/when these videos get out?" In the Youtube era that's the question decision makers need to be thinking about these days.

When I was in high school my dad threw the basketball at me like that a couple of times when he was rebounding for me and I was being a smartass. It actually didn't bother me that much and I felt even at the time that I deserved it. But no you can't do that stuff to your players when you're a coach at any level.

clackamascoug
04-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Mike Rice Jr. is in trouble. Mike Rice Sr. is the TV "analyst" of the Blazers, and he has been gushing proud of his son for years. Always talking about him, and celebrating the latest Rutgers win. It was a nice touch, a dad talking about his son. I suppose it going to end in disgrace now. Those video's are bad enough, but still using homophobic slurs in this day is asking to get fired.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Just saw Rice's apology. It sounded sincere, from someone who has fully realized his collosal screwup. He would've "RUTS'ed the apology" by apologizing to the LGBT community as well.

dabrockster
04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
After reviewing it , I agree. He sounded sincere and pretty humiliated. Some of the Rutgers fans are now demonizing Murdock for all of this..

He was a former Utah Jazz player correct? What was some of the feelings about him while he was in Jazz Player..

scottie
04-03-2013, 11:11 AM
After reviewing it , I agree. He sounded sincere and pretty humiliated. Some of the Rutgers fans are now demonizing Murdock for all of this..

He was a former Utah Jazz player correct? What was some of the feelings about him while he was in Jazz Player..

Demonizing him for what? And where are you seeing it, link?

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 11:37 AM

He was only with the Jazz for a year, traded to Milwaukee for a more experienced point in Jay Humpries and ... surprise! ... Larry Krystkowiak. (EDIT: Murdoch for John Crotty appeared initially to be a huge step down, but once Murdoch carved out his own nice little NBA career, Jazz fans pretty much resigned themselves to the idea that Murdoch was too good to be a backup, even to Stockton.)

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Demonizing him for what? And where are you seeing it, link?

Murdock leaked the video to ESPN after he was let go by Rutgers.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/mike-rice-firing-how-eric-murdocks-departure-set-off-chain-reaction/

Katy Lied
04-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Murdock leaked the video to ESPN after he was let go by Rutgers.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/mike-rice-firing-how-eric-murdocks-departure-set-off-chain-reaction/

What an idiotic article. Supposing that had Murdock not gone public Rice would still have a job. There always will be a player, or a coach who will tell. Or is Rutgers going to send every player, every assistant coach, every student manager out with a golden parachute, just to protect an ass of a coach?

SeattleUte
04-03-2013, 12:18 PM
In Liar's Poker Michael Lewis describes how the "big swingin' dick" traders orderded extra long phone chords because they would throw phones at the heads of underlings.

dabrockster
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
To scottie: Rutgers board...

Katy Lied
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
In Liar's Poker Michael Lewis describes how the "big swingin' dick" traders orderded extra long phone chords because they would throw phones at the heads of underlings.

Also, in Barbarians at the Gate, one of the Underlings at KKR prostrated himself on the ground in the office of a KKR Big Swinging Dick and got a $1M cut of RJR Nabisco just for licking a little boot.

Dont know where I am going with this. :)

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 01:44 PM
What an idiotic article. Supposing that had Murdock not gone public Rice would still have a job. There always will be a player, or a coach who will tell. Or is Rutgers going to send every player, every assistant coach, every student manager out with a golden parachute, just to protect an ass of a coach?

I think you greatly overestimate the number of potential whistle-blowers in collegiate sports.

SeattleUte
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Also, in Barbarians at the Gate, one of the Underlings at KKR prostrated himself on the ground in the office of a KKR Big Swinging Dick and got a $1M cut of RJR Nabisco just for licking a little boot.

Dont know where I am going with this. :)

That was the greatest business book of all time.

Clark Addison
04-03-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't really trust Rutgers fans to be the moral arbiters on this, but it doesn't reflect particularly well on Murdock that he was only willing to make this public when he was let go.

Having said that, it is good that it was made public, regardless of the motives.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
That was the greatest business book of all time.

You hyped this book during the summer of conference craziness and I bought it and shelved it, I need to read it.

Applejack
04-03-2013, 03:13 PM
You hyped this book during the summer of conference craziness and I bought it and shelved it, I need to read it.

It was a little long for my taste. Biz-lit isn't my go-to section of the public library, however. I would instead recommend renting Wall Street with Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen.

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
No one liked the Bonfire of the Vanities? Mediocre movie, great book.

Jeff Lebowski
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM

I thought it was great.

SavaUte
04-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Honestly, other than the physical "violence", the verbal tongue lashings couldn't hold a candle to some of the Boylen practices I went to, and from what I hear, that was the same case with Maji.

SeattleUte
04-05-2013, 09:55 AM

I like it a lot but it's a novel. Not business lit.

UtahsMrSports
04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Honestly, other than the physical "violence", the verbal tongue lashings couldn't hold a candle to some of the Boylen practices I went to, and from what I hear, that was the same case with Maji.

yet another reason that jimmy boylen was a terrible hire and we are in a much better spot today.

SavaUte
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
yet another reason that jimmy boylen was a terrible hire and we are in a much better spot today.

I didn't say that really to bash Boylen or Maji, but to say it is probably pretty commonplace

SoCalPat
04-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I didn't say that really to bash Boylen or Maji, but to say it is probably pretty commonplace

If it's commonplace -- and I don't believe for a second that it is regarding the homophobic slurs used by Rice -- then schools need to get in the business of taping every practice. Like yesterday. The cost of doing that is insignificant compared to the losses you might be staring down on the losing end of a civil rights lawsuit.

Also, the sanctity of closed practices needs to be done away with. Stop catering to willingly paranoid coaches and put everyone on the same playing field with regard to access.

SavaUte
04-06-2013, 01:26 PM
If it's commonplace -- and I don't believe for a second that it is regarding the homophobic slurs used by Rice

I am sure it is much more commonplace that people want to admit. A lot of these coaches are 50+ and have said these things their entire lives.

As to closed practice, maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think they have a place. You have to be able to do some things behind closed doors for strategic reasons.

SoCalPat
04-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I am sure it is much more commonplace that people want to admit. A lot of these coaches are 50+ and have said these things their entire lives.

As to closed practice, maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think they have a place. You have to be able to do some things behind closed doors for strategic reasons.

Coaches also don't live in a bubble and know the blowback they'll get if they're caught using such language. Most of them are refined men to varying degrees, are highly educated and as representatives of higher education institutions, just know better. Ten years ago, you'd be right. Not today. Coaches know how to adapt.

As for closed practices, they have a place but should not be commonplace. The sooner coaches realize they are not above the rules or can create their own standards, the better off college sports will be.