PDA

View Full Version : The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Pages : [1] 2 3

LA Ute
02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
I think we need a thread for watching/analyzing the process of rebuilding Ute basketball. I know the subject is painful and emotional, that as a result various message boards and blogs are littered with lively comments all over the map on this subject, and that the discussion can be bitter and divisive.

I find the subject so sad that I'd like to start a discussion that looks forward, and that simply accepts Tommy Connor's statement that the 2012-13 season is really Year One of the rebuild. Rather than talking about hiring mistakes, debatable decisions, and what might have been, this thread is for taking about what is.

My own humble take right now is that Krysko has shown he is a very good, maybe even excellent, X's and 0's coach, than he can develop players, and that he runs a tight, disciplined ship. He's also a coolly cerebral type of coach -- no drama. What he hasn't shown yet is that he can recruit. I think he can, but it's too early to say. He still has to overcome the chicken and egg problem for a coach taking over a program in turmoil: it's hard to win without good players, and it's hard to get good players without winning. Loveridge was his first big get and that is beginning to pay off. He needs the next big get now. It would be great if Chapman were that big one, but if not, Larry's got to find another somewhere.

Thoughts?

Utah
02-19-2013, 10:34 PM
This IS year one in the basketball rebuild. Coach K didn't have any semblance of HIS kids last year, didn't have a full recruiting class, too many kids left, etc.

I've said this before. Last year we had zero PAC-12 players on the team. This year we have Loveridge, Olsen, Taylor, Tucker, Washburn has developed into one as well.

That is five. That is a HUGE leap in just one year, especially when you consider how terrible this team was last year. The hardest thing about this year is not only is Utah better, but the PAC-12 is much better as well. It may not feel that we are improving, but when you think back to last year, we have improved a TON.

This team is definitely on the up and up, and I am very excited to see where Loveridge, Taylor and Olsen are when they are juniors. Add in more depth and better recruits, and this will be a very, very good team. Add in one superstar...the sky is the limit. Once one of our young guys develops into, or we recruit "that" guy, we have at least 4 more wins this year, and everybody would be in love with the Kodiak and the rest of the running Utes.

codered
02-19-2013, 10:42 PM
We are some depth and a good PG away from 10 more wins this year. I don't mean that as a slam to our current PG's, but they simply cannot match the talent they face night after night. Coach has these guys playing hard, fighting the entire game and expecting to win. I love that. Ironically enough, those are the same traits Majerus showed us when he got here.

I think we need a thread for watching/analyzing the process of rebuilding Ute basketball. I know the subject is painful and emotional, that as a result various message boards and blogs are littered with lively comments that all all over the map on this subject, and that the discussion can be bitter and divisive.

I find the whole subject so sad that I'd like to start a discussion that looks forward, and that simply accepts Tommy Connor's statement that the 2012-13 season is really Year One of the rebuild. Rather than talking about hiring mistakes, debatable decisions, and what might have been, this thread is for taking about what is.

My own humble take right now is that Krysko has shown he is a very good, maybe even excellent, X's and 0's coach, than he can develop players, and that he runs a tight, disciplined ship. He's also a coolly cerebral type of coach -- no drama. What he hasn't shown yet is that he can recruit. I think he can, but it's too early to say. He still has to overcome the chicken and egg problem for a coach taking over a program in turmoil: it's hard to win without good players, and it's hard to get good players without winning. Loveridge was his first big get and it is beginning to pay off. He needs the next big get now. It would be great if Chapman were that big one, but if not, Larry's got to find another somewhere.

Thoughts?

SavaUte
02-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Its hard to say last year had zero PAC12 guys. Washburn was there, but not yet a PAC level talent, same as Martin.

We have certainly learned that Larry is not an aggressive "lets win by 40" kind of guy. Like KW, you could say they are both conservative to a fault with a lead.

I'm a big LK fan, I think things are on the up and up!

Jeromy in SLC
02-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Its hard to say last year had zero PAC12 guys. Washburn was there, but not yet a PAC level talent, same as Martin.

We have certainly learned that Larry is not an aggressive "lets win by 40" kind of guy. Like KW, you could say they are both conservative to a fault with a lead.

I'm a big LK fan, I think things are on the up and up!

I remember watching Majerus's teams, and there was a combination of score and time where you could predict that the offense would go into a stall to eat the clock. The offense would just pass the ball until about 8 seconds on the shot clock, then attempt to get a shot. It didn't matter if that combination occurred 5 minutes into the second half, he would start chewing up the clock. I always hated it, because if they game got closer, all of the rhythm on offense (that got that big lead to begin with) would be gone. I remember this happening in the 2002 loss to BYU in Provo (20ish point halftime lead slowly erased), but I also witnessed plenty of games that were wins that became painfully uncomfortable down the stretch.

Krystowiak does the same thing with this team, and it can happen prematurely. You have seen big leads erased against Sac State, CS-Northridge, and Colorado (off the top of my head, there may be more). Some of the issues with this team when they go into the stall: a) they wait too long to start executing to get a shot (inexperience for sure) b) execution is lacking, which leads to turnovers and easy baskets for the other team.

I have always hated the stall tactic. I understand the math behind it, but maybe the point/time combo needs to adjust for a) the talent/experience level of your team and b) the talent/experience difference competing in the PAC-12.

Jeromy in SLC
02-20-2013, 06:01 AM
I think we need a thread for watching/analyzing the process of rebuilding Ute basketball. I know the subject is painful and emotional, that as a result various message boards and blogs are littered with lively comments all over the map on this subject, and that the discussion can be bitter and divisive.

I find the subject so sad that I'd like to start a discussion that looks forward, and that simply accepts Tommy Connor's statement that the 2012-13 season is really Year One of the rebuild. Rather than talking about hiring mistakes, debatable decisions, and what might have been, this thread is for taking about what is.

My own humble take right now is that Krysko has shown he is a very good, maybe even excellent, X's and 0's coach, than he can develop players, and that he runs a tight, disciplined ship. He's also a coolly cerebral type of coach -- no drama. What he hasn't shown yet is that he can recruit. I think he can, but it's too early to say. He still has to overcome the chicken and egg problem for a coach taking over a program in turmoil: it's hard to win without good players, and it's hard to get good players without winning. Loveridge was his first big get and that is beginning to pay off. He needs the next big get now. It would be great if Chapman were that big one, but if not, Larry's got to find another somewhere.

Thoughts?

I think Ute fans need to get used to the idea that this renovation is going to take longer than they want, and a big reason is due to the level of competition (not to disparage the MWC, as they have been wildly successful in hoops as of late). The only way to eat this elephant is one bite at a time, and getting some new facilities for the basketball teams (men and women) will help immensely.

I think it has been established that Krystowiak and his staff can coach. I was sold on that when the team they had last year beat ANYBODY in the PAC-12. Now they have to sell this to recruits. To me, a realistic recruiting class (of four) would have one difference maker (multiyear starter), one maybe two solid contributors (bench players, possibly starters when Jr/Sr), and the rest are probably milk carton guys. Last years class was Coach K's first real class, and at first glance this pattern holds true, except for the fact that there are so many new faces, and so few returning contributors that everyone got a look of some sort.

I know there is the possibility that this years squad could actually win fewer conference games than last years team. I don't take that as a failure, because the PAC-12 is must better than it was last year, and when competition is tougher, some nights your best isn't good enough.

UBlender
02-20-2013, 09:25 AM
I was thinking of starting this thread over here this morning.

I agree that Coach K has acquitted himself well as an X's & O's coach so far. A few things that give me this belief:

-Almost always hold the opposing team's leading scorer in check (think Haws for BYU or Carson for ASU and many other examples); this was a Majerus staple
-Good defense in general--I believe Utah has been leading the PAC 12 in FG % defense most of the season
-Individual improvement; Look at Washburn's improvements - probably somewhat due to maturity but also some skills and fundamentals that he has learned in the last year that he hadn't before, see also Cedric Martin who was a JC non-recruit and is now a solid role player that contributes
-Keeping a team that is almost universally agreed to be below PAC 12 standards in talent competitive in almost every game

Having said that, those good qualities won't mount to a hill of beans if the talent level is improved. Can this staff recruit at a PAC 12 level? That is the question on which the Krystko era will hinge. I think there should be three recruiting initiatives:

1). Excluding BYU legacies (and heaven knows there are a ton of them), get the best players in the state. Loveridge and Van Dyke were wins in this regard (Loveridge especially--no reason for an LDS kid to commit to the recent U of U hoops dumpster fire but the staff sold him). Needless to say, Chapman is absolutely monumental here.

2). Compete for solid second tier talent in the west (California, specifically). We are not in position to compete with the likes of UCLA and Arizona for the elite talent right now, but we do need to go toe-to-toe with the lower half of the PAC 12 and win our share of recruits as well as against the MWC and even WCC--there are players at SDSU, UNLV and even St Mary's from California that would have been very good for Utah. From the last class, Utah signed Taylor and Tucker who I think only had WCC offers. Now I think these guys can help (see point #3) but they aren't going to be cornerstones.

3). Find some diamonds in the rough, regardless of location. This may mean getting back into the foreign recruiting game, which was very good for Majerus and Giac. Aside from Loveridge and Olsen (Boylen recruit), this freshman (and sophomore) class is composed of the diamond in the rough type. We have seen how good Bachynski can be with his head on right. Taylor and Tucker seem like they can at least be solid role players that contribute in the PAC. Seymour is a bit of a mystery to me right now--he seems like a diamond in the rough with some real upside to be a quality player but is really struggling to put it all together. Ahmad Fields (assuming he signs) from the current class is someone that seems to have some real diamond in the rough potential.

With the current recruiting class, I can't pinpoint any one player that I would not have recruited, but on the whole it lacks star power to compete with what most of the conference is bringing in. One way or another, recruiting is going to need to be elevated for Utah to succeed.

I have to prep for a few meetings, if y'all are good I might return with some more thoughts on the current roster and direction of Utah basketball this afternoon.

U-Ute
02-20-2013, 09:43 AM
One thing is certain: K can get the guys to play defense. I love the new wrinkles that I've never seen before, such as playing zone for the first N number of passes, then switching to man-to-man. It throws the offense out of rhythm when the get set up to attack one defense, then just as they start, it switches to another.

Landing Loveridge was huge. It legitimized the program. Landing Champman would accelerate the rebuilding process exponentially. The biggest problem for us right now is not having enough P12 size/talent on the team. For example, in the pre-season, I thought we looked pretty good. I thought DuBois had decent size/length to be a consistent scorer. But as soon as the conference season began and we started playing P12 teams, DuBois suddenly looked 3" shorter than he did in the pre-season. I underestimated the size and length of the P12 guards.

If K can land some more talent, we know he can get them to play defense.

OrangeUte
02-20-2013, 12:04 PM
One thing is certain: K can get the guys to play defense. I love the new wrinkles that I've never seen before, such as playing zone for the first N number of passes, then switching to man-to-man. It throws the offense out of rhythm when the get set up to attack one defense, then just as they start, it switches to another.

Landing Loveridge was huge. It legitimized the program. Landing Champman would accelerate the rebuilding process exponentially. The biggest problem for us right now is not having enough P12 size/talent on the team. For example, in the pre-season, I thought we looked pretty good. I thought DuBois had decent size/length to be a consistent scorer. But as soon as the conference season began and we started playing P12 teams, DuBois suddenly looked 3" shorter than he did in the pre-season. I underestimated the size and length of the P12 guards.

If K can land some more talent, we know he can get them to play defense.

these are great points. this team is excellent defensively. the 2 coaches from the arizona schools both alluded to that last week.

i love the speed at guard that CoachK has recruited. Taylor is a great find. he has amazing accelleration and reminds me of LaMichael James with how quickly he can start and stop and also cut. Loveridge is a terrific player as well. i like the future and it's being built on hard played defense.

i also don't get the feeling that this team has a lot of locker room problems. the last few years, it seemed like there were significant personality issues on the team. i have nothing to base that on, and it is just a gut instinct comment, but it feels like we have guys that know they are on a good (but young and developing) team and want to see this through. i could be wrong but really hope that i am not.

U-Ute
02-20-2013, 12:53 PM
i love the speed at guard that CoachK has recruited. Taylor is a great find. he has amazing accelleration and reminds me of LaMichael James with how quickly he can start and stop and also cut.

Taylor has really made me a believer. I think he's hit a bit of a wall as he's trying to live up to the expectations he set, but given how he has worked his way up, I have no doubt this kid will succeed. He looked utterly and completely lost in the preseason and I had written him off for the season as another undersized PG. I have to give the kid all the credit in the world.

i also don't get the feeling that this team has a lot of locker room problems. the last few years, it seemed like there were significant personality issues on the team. i have nothing to base that on, and it is just a gut instinct comment, but it feels like we have guys that know they are on a good (but young and developing) team and want to see this through. i could be wrong but really hope that i am not.

I think that this is an underrated point. Outside of the Bachynski issue, there has been no drama. At that, the resolution was the team coming together and rallying behind Dallin. Very positive signs indeed.

SoCalPat
02-20-2013, 01:06 PM
I agree with a lot of what's said here, or enough not to nitpick. Two things that I cannot let slide:

1. The rebuild will be slow and we have to accept it. For a program that's not on probation, it's an argument that just doesn't hold water and is emphatically refuted in multiple programs across the country every year. Even in our own league, for as much as Utah has improved, Arizona State and USC have improved much more quickly from last year. And the latter even fired its coach in midseason. The most startling disparity between USC and Utah is USC is 7-2 in games decided by 5 points or less. Utah is 3-8. (That we've had 11 such games, as opposed to six all of last year, is probably the greatest testament to the "improvement" of the team, but another such season would put Larry in the same class as Boylen and Giac in that category).

Eventually, for Larry to be extended past the life of his deal, there is going to have to be that one huge jump year. The sad thing, is it could have been this year. We've left a ton of wins on the floor. As things stand, we have all of four more wins vs. D-1 opponents than last year. Let's say we finish with 5, for a total of 10. The right coach long-term would get us to 18-20 next year. In any event, regression of any kind is not acceptable next year.

2. Larry can coach and knows his Xs and Os. Of course he can, but there's a caveat. We know he gets his players to execute his scheme and the dedication and effort is there. What worries me greatly is that Larry can't outcoach opposing coaches. We've seen that in the huge blown leads and the frequent inability to draw up plays late that make the difference in games.

As long as we're on the short end of the talent stick, we need a coach who not only can make up that difference, but can make opposing coaches/teams pay for their mistakes or lapses to detail. Being capable isn't enough. Hell, Craig Robinson is capable. So is Ken Bone. But they're not good enough to make up that difference in talent, which is why they're at the bottom of the league.

UtahDan
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
I agree with a lot of what's said here, or enough not to nitpick. Two things that I cannot let slide:

1. The rebuild will be slow and we have to accept it. For a program that's not on probation, it's an argument that just doesn't hold water and is emphatically refuted in multiple programs across the country every year. Even in our own league, for as much as Utah has improved, Arizona State and USC have improved much more quickly from last year. And the latter even fired its coach in midseason. The most startling disparity between USC and Utah is USC is 7-2 in games decided by 5 points or less. Utah is 3-8. (That we've had 11 such games, as opposed to six all of last year, is probably the greatest testament to the "improvement" of the team, but another such season would put Larry in the same class as Boylen and Giac in that category).

Eventually, for Larry to be extended past the life of his deal, there is going to have to be that one huge jump year. The sad thing, is it could have been this year. We've left a ton of wins on the floor. As things stand, we have all of four more wins vs. D-1 opponents than last year. Let's say we finish with 5, for a total of 10. The right coach long-term would get us to 18-20 next year. In any event, regression of any kind is not acceptable next year.

2. Larry can coach and knows his Xs and Os. Of course he can, but there's a caveat. We know he gets his players to execute his scheme and the dedication and effort is there. What worries me greatly is that Larry can't outcoach opposing coaches. We've seen that in the huge blown leads and the frequent inability to draw up plays late that make the difference in games.

As long as we're on the short end of the talent stick, we need a coach who not only can make up that difference, but can make opposing coaches/teams pay for their mistakes or lapses to detail. Being capable isn't enough. Hell, Craig Robinson is capable. So is Ken Bone. But they're not good enough to make up that difference in talent, which is why they're at the bottom of the league.

I agree with most of what you have said. Where I often disagree in these discussions is with what I believe is implied in these critiques: that there are binders full (ha!) of coaches who could easily fit that bill waiting to be snapped up and that somehow we just end up with the wrong ones. I don't think that is true or at least I don't think they are so easily identified. If it turns out that K is not the next Majerus, but is a guy who gets us to that guy, that is not the worst thing and it is probably important that the coaching fraternity not view Utah as an impatient revolving door.

Applejack
02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
The success of KrystoMeth will hinge on the next two recruiting cycles and how the young kids develop. I'm not sold on Olsen as a Pac-12 caliber starting center yet: his reminds me a lot of self-proclaimed "lego maniac (http://www.natealthoff.com/)" Nate Althoff--a fundamentally sound, but frustratingly limited big man. It is also WAY too early to declare Dakari Tucker as Pac-12 material. Taylor has been impressive, but his size will always limit the offensive capability of this team. Loveridge is going to be really good, but he has to work over the next three years if he wants to become a star.

Next year's recruiting class has some potential. Delon Wright has good bloodlines and size, but JC point guards are risky bets; they haven't seen the size and speed of DI action. I'm not enamored with Brandon Miller of Parker Van Dyke, although I know some people are. I expect Kovacevic to be a backup his entire career - if he can contribute 15 solid minutes off the bench, that would be great. The D.C. kid (Ahmad Fields) is a total unknown to me.

Getting Brekkot Chapman would be hugely significant, but I'm not betting on it. He has some great offers out of state. Unless Krsty can polish up his Loveridge "cornerstone-of-rebuilding-a-great-program" pitch, I think that kid is a Bruin.

Jeromy in SLC
02-20-2013, 01:32 PM

I agree with some of this. The team lacks talent and/or experience, top to bottom, versus our peers. I think this is the result of the roster almost completely rolling over the roster in 09-10' (graduation of Nevill et al), 10-11' (Boylen's panick pick-ups and Brown/Henderson defections), 11-12' (Boylen leaves, players don't come back, Krysto blows up the roster), and 12-13' (three returning scholarship players). Each of those events in and of themselves are a setback, but four consecutive years is not good for recruiting, continuity, and public perception.

Due to the talent that is available, the offense has few dimensions, lacks punch, and lacks consistency. If teams cannot take one away (i.e. ASU's inability to guard Washburn), then the team can have success. But far too often, it is easy to take this team out of what they want to do offensively. Defensively, they need guys on the wing that are longer. Watching Crabbe completely take over the game in SLC was frustrating to watch, but he could simply elevate over anyone that attempted to guard him.

This next year will be a huge indication of the direction of the program. The team loses three big contributors (Washburn, Dubois, Martin). Some of the young guys show promise, but if they don't develop sufficiently to at minimum replace the production of those three, next year will be frustrating to watch again. If the staff can develop the players in the program (and by proxy, the players in the program have the attitude and work ethic), I think next year will be a pleasant surprise.

SoCalPat
02-20-2013, 01:44 PM
The success of KrystoMeth will hinge on the next two recruiting cycles and how the young kids develop. I'm not sold on Olsen as a Pac-12 caliber starting center yet: his reminds me a lot of self-proclaimed "lego maniac (http://www.natealthoff.com/)" Nate Althoff--a fundamentally sound, but frustratingly limited big man. It is also WAY too early to declare Dakari Tucker as Pac-12 material. Taylor has been impressive, but his size will always limit the offensive capability of this team. Loveridge is going to be really good, but he has to work over the next three years if he wants to become a star.

Olson and Tucker are putting up dynamite numbers in limited action. If anything, those two deserve 15-20 minutes per game to see if their production carries over to an extended workload.

LA Ute
02-20-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm not sold on Olsen as a Pac-12 caliber starting center yet: his reminds me a lot of self-proclaimed "lego maniac (http://www.natealthoff.com/)" Nate Althoff--a fundamentally sound, but frustratingly limited big man.

I've become very curious about Olsen. He's surprised me with his offensive skills, and Krysko speaks highly of his work ethic and his rapid progress post-mission. What I wonder about is whether he can play defense at the PAC-12 level, especially 10-15 feet away from the basket.

Jarid in Cedar
02-20-2013, 02:41 PM
Olson and Tucker are putting up dynamite numbers in limited action. If anything, those two deserve 15-20 minutes per game to see if their production carries over to an extended workload.

I think Tucker can replace what Martin does for us defensively. He has a higher ceiling offensively as well.

Utah
02-20-2013, 04:13 PM

My only issue is your slow rebuild paragraph. I do agree with you...to a certain extent. For whatever reason, Utah basketball was an expansion team last year. We had nothing. It was pathetic how bad that team was. Could have very well been the worst team in Division I football.

So, I do think the rebuild should be quicker rather than slower, but I think the clock started at the end of last season. If there aren't major improvements by the end of next year, then we have a problem.

The good news is that we have made major improvements already, have some good players to build off of, and just need to keep going on the trajectory that we are headed on.

DrumNFeather
02-21-2013, 07:10 AM
http://championships.pac-12.com/mens-basketball/standout-coach-larry-krystkowiak/

LA Ute
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Here's a Des News article that includes some info on Delon Wright. (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865574742/Utah-Utes-basketball-Ute-recruit-Delon-Wright-could-be-a-top-player-next-year.html)

The 6-foot-5, 175-pound guard has signed a letter of intent to play for the Utes (http://www.deseretnews.com/sports/utah-utes) next fall.

“I’m really excited about coming down and playing for coach K,’’ he said as he greeted Ute players after Sunday’s game at Maples Pavilion. “I’m really looking forward to it.’’

Wright is the younger brother of Philadelphia 76ers guard Dorrell Wright, who has played in the NBA for nine years. He calls himself “a late-bloomer” who wasn’t recruited out of high school.

“I just try to play an all-around game,’’ the 20-year-old said when asked about the strength of his game. “People tell me I have a high basketball IQ.’’
He said he chose Utah over Gonzaga, Washington and Washington State.

“They were recruiting me from the beginning,’’ Wright said of Utah. “This was the best fit for me. A lot of minutes might be available for me from the beginning.’’

This season, Wright is averaging 16 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals per game on 51 percent shooting and 48 percent from 3-point range. His team is 28-0 and currently playing in the California Community College Athletic Association postseason tournament and won its first playoff game Saturday night.

So it looks like he can shoot. That's good. At 6'5' and 175lbs., it also looks like he can afford to eat a sandwich or two.

USS Utah
03-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Have we? Or could his current game planes have more to with not having the horses rather than Larry being conservative like KW?

LA Ute
03-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Have we? Or could his current game planes have more to with not having the horses rather than Larry being conservative like KW?

Seems to me he's changed his game plan with a lead, like Kyle does. But (thankfully) I haven't seen all the games in which the Utes have blown leads this season.

SoCalPat
03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Here's a Des News article that includes some info on Delon Wright. (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865574742/Utah-Utes-basketball-Ute-recruit-Delon-Wright-could-be-a-top-player-next-year.html)

So it looks like he can shoot. That's good. At 6'5' and 175lbs., it also looks like he can afford to eat a sandwich or two.

If this cat can get to the line a lot, he'll be the best backcourt offensive threat we've had since Marc Jackson.

LA Ute
03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
This thread seems like a good place to post Krysko's initial press conference on being announced as Utah's new head coach in April 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3oaafZVv7g

Some interesting statements.

"I want to bring the pride back."

"There's no doubt in my mind we can get top 100 players."

"I love practice."

"Mike Montgomery was one of the coaches who affected me most as a player. Playing for Phil Jackson at Chicago was very enlightening."

In response to a question about how he planned to increase attendance: "If you build it, they will come."

LA Ute
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
It's interesting to compare the video just below with this one, two years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CvjJDZJ5AJc

LA Ute
03-29-2013, 01:44 PM
This is a look back at 1998. Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

The 1998 Runnin' Utes, looking back 15 years (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24566283&nid=840&title=the-1998-runnin-utes-looking-back-15-years)

SeattleUte
03-29-2013, 02:26 PM
This is a look back at 1998. Hard to believe it's been 15 years.

The 1998 Runnin' Utes, looking back 15 years (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24566283&nid=840&title=the-1998-runnin-utes-looking-back-15-years)

It's an insipid summary, missing a lot of great deatails, color and drama. For example, how can it not mention that Arizona as the defending NC and had everybody back, that North Carolina had future NBA superstars Jamieson and Carter, these two teams' no. 1 seedings and 30 plus win records, and that everyone's brackets picked either of these two teams to win it all. Utah was actually an underdog against Arkansas and its 40 minutes of hell. Also, Utah led most of the second half against Kentucky. There's no better write up than this anywhere?

LA Ute
03-29-2013, 02:51 PM
It's an insipid summary, missing a lot of great deatails, color and drama. For example, how can it not mention that Arizona as the defending NC and had everybody back, that North Carolina had future NBA superstars Jamieson and Carter, these two teams' no. 1 seedings and 30 plus win records, and that everyone's brackets picked either of these two teams to win it all. Utah was actually an underdog against Arkansas and its 40 minutes of hell. Also, Utah led most of the second half against Kentucky. There's no better write up than this anywhere?

The world cries out for you to do the write-up.

concerned
03-29-2013, 03:05 PM
The world cries out for you to do the write-up.

Obviously.

SoCalPat
03-29-2013, 03:14 PM

Yep. No one should ever mistake this for the definitive word on the 1998 Final Four team, which outside of a chapter or two in My Life on a Napkin, has really never been written.

LA Ute
03-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Yep. No one should ever mistake this for the definitive word on the 1998 Final Four team, which outside of a chapter or two in My Life on a Napkin, has really never been written.

It looks like something somebody at KSL threw together. The book is waiting to be written. You're the perfect author. I kid not.

SoCalPat
03-29-2013, 05:10 PM
It looks like something somebody at KSL threw together. The book is waiting to be written. You're the perfect author. I kid not.

Thanks for the endorsement, but Rick is gone. It will never be written.

#1 Utefan
04-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Okay, so does anyone know of any potential recruits the Utes may still sign this year? Seymour's departure opens up one schollie and I've heard rumors there may be one more. I hope there is an athletic PF out there somewhere that can rebound and play defense. Utah got killed on the boards in PAC-12 play and needs to get bigger and longer fast if they are going to continue to improve the win total next year.

As far as 2014 goes, does anyone have any inside information on where Brekkot Chapman ends up? He would go a long ways to filling a big need and getting the program back to where it has been traditionally.

SavaUte
04-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I hadn't heard of the Seymour transfer until now. Hopefully there isn't more of that going on

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Okay, so does anyone know of any potential recruits the Utes may still sign this year? Seymour's departure opens up one schollie and I've heard rumors there may be one more. I hope there is an athletic PF out there somewhere that can rebound and play defense. Utah got killed on the boards in PAC-12 play and needs to get bigger and longer fast if they are going to continue to improve the win total next year.

As far as 2014 goes, does anyone have any inside information on where Brekkot Chapman ends up? He would go a long ways to filling a big need and getting the program back to where it has been traditionally.

As far as chapman goes, here is what we do know: Both of his parents are big Ute supporters. We are for sure his top choice in-state. However, he has stated that he wants to play somewhere warm. I think it will come down to us, arizona, and ucla, with gonzaga as a long shot. BYU fans will tell you that he is a lock for them because he has committed to playing with dalton nixon. this is bunk.

SeattleUte
04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
As far as chapman goes, here is what we do know: Both of his parents are big Ute supporters. We are for sure his top choice in-state. However, he has stated that he wants to play somewhere warm. I think it will come down to us, arizona, and ucla, with gonzaga as a long shot. BYU fans will tell you that he is a lock for them because he has committed to playing with dalton nixon. this is bunk.

Utah is warm. It gets over 100 degrees.

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Utah is warm. It gets over 100 degrees.

thats my hope. :)

LA Ute
04-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Info about the new basketball practice facility. (http://investinutahathletics.org/facilities-update/basketball-practice-facility)

UtahsMrSports
04-11-2013, 08:12 PM
Info about the new basketball practice facility. (http://investinutahathletics.org/facilities-update/basketball-practice-facility)

LA, are you trying to say that our athletic department is actually going to take hoops seriously?

What welcome news!

Hadrian
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM

That page has been up since last summer, so the info is probably pretty dated. The design and extent of the project has changed dramatically since then. I think the official announcement is scheduled for the beginning of May.

Utah
04-11-2013, 10:20 PM
The men's theatre is outside? That can't be good.

U-Ute
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
The men's theatre is outside? That can't be good.

If you squint, there is a thin grey line pointing inside. It is opposite the women's theater.

LA Ute
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
That page has been up since last summer, so the info is probably pretty dated. The design and extent of the project has changed dramatically since then. I think the official announcement is scheduled for the beginning of May.

Details, details. Just send in your money!

SeattleUte
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Nothing more on transfers? Is Seymour even actually released yet? Anything on Dotson's med redshirt status?

UBlender
04-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Nothing more on transfers? Is Seymour even actually released yet? Anything on Dotson's med redshirt status?

Nothing official has been made public about either of those players, but my bet is we don't see either in crimson next season with Onwas and Ogbe replacing them. That is strictly a hunch. I think the U is waiting to announce all departures and new signings at the same time once the signing period begins (in two days).

UtahsMrSports
04-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Last I heard (which was the Krystko interview nearly two weeks ago now), is that Seymour is still working out with the team and that he and Larry are working on a good landing spot for him. Larry put the odds at 99% that Seymour will be gone. If Ogbe commits, I anticipate we will hear about the next transfer in short order. If somehow Reynolds commits, I think we will hear about another transfer then too.

It is nice to be in this spot this year. Where we announce a transfer AFTER signing someone who is an upgrade, and not announcing a transfer and then scrambling to find a replacement off of the JUCO scrap pile.

Diehard Ute
04-15-2013, 03:16 PM

Dotson can't apply for a hardship until his eligibility is expired. So that wouldn't be an issue until after the start of the season

LA Ute
07-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Reggie Theus, a favorite of some back when Boylen's successor hadn't yet been named, is now head basketball coach at Cal State Northridge.

http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/75377621/Sports/Reggie-Theus-is-new-coach-at-Cal-State-Northridge

RunninU
07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Justin Seymour is going to Murray State sounds like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UtahsMrSports
07-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Justin Seymour is going to Murray State sounds like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Makes sense. Its closer to home, and they are a pretty good team (won 21 games last year). Best of luck to him!

SoCalPat
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Makes sense. Its closer to home, and they are a pretty good team (won 21 games last year). Best of luck to him!

Honestly, I'm tired of seeing former Utes shine elsewhere. It's been the root of the slide of each of our previous three head coaches and embodies programs that are going nowhere. For Larry's sake, I hope Seymour is nothing more than a starter and third or fourth option for the Racers.

UtahsMrSports
07-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Honestly, I'm tired of seeing former Utes shine elsewhere. It's been the root of the slide of each of our previous three head coaches and embodies programs that are going nowhere. For Larry's sake, I hope Seymour is nothing more than a starter and third or fourth option for the Racers.

Outside of Clyburn (who was a Boylen guy only) and Henderson (a juvenille bozo), no one who has transferred has gone on to shine anywhere. Keep this in mind regarding Justin:

He is going to be most effective in a system where he is the two guard and has freedom to shoot at any time. He was never going to have that at Utah in the Pac-12. If he goes to Murray St. and averages 20 ppg, I still won't lament his loss. I wish him well, I appreciated his contributions to our team, but I think it was a mutually beneficial decision to split.

sancho
07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Outside of Clyburn (who was a Boylen guy only) and Henderson (a juvenille bozo), no one who has transferred has gone on to shine anywhere.

O'Brien averaged 27 minutes, 7 points 5 boards for a low seed tournament team. We could really use another rebounding forward too.

UtahsMrSports
07-09-2013, 11:25 AM
O'Brien averaged 27 minutes, 7 points 5 boards for a low seed tournament team. We could really use another rebounding forward too.

I missed Obrien until we signed Loveridge. Loveridge is everything Obrien is and more. Same size too.

sancho
07-09-2013, 11:32 AM
I missed Obrien until we signed Loveridge. Loveridge is everything Obrien is and more. Same size too.

Sure, if it's one or the other, you take Loveridge every time. But who wouldn't want both?

UtahsMrSports
07-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Sure, if it's one or the other, you take Loveridge every time. But who wouldn't want both?

I guess I just see him as an easily replaceable role player, rather than someone who would be a difference maker for us.

SoCalPat
07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Outside of Clyburn (who was a Boylen guy only) and Henderson (a juvenille bozo), no one who has transferred has gone on to shine anywhere.

No one besides Clyburn and Henderson? Really? I'll give you a few minutes to rethink that one.

LA Ute
07-09-2013, 03:50 PM
I am sorry those guys left. With them we probably avoid the worst season in Ute basketball history, and I would sure like to have seen that avoided. But what's done is done.

UtahsMrSports
07-09-2013, 10:13 PM
No one besides Clyburn and Henderson? Really? I'll give you a few minutes to rethink that one.

You cant possibly be serious...........

Woody
07-09-2013, 10:52 PM

He is serious Chris Kupets tore it up at Vanguard. You know Vanguard. He averaged 14.3 ppg with a high of 38 and you can't forget Antonio Dimaria averaging 8.1 ppg at Emporia State.

SoCalPat
07-10-2013, 12:16 AM

Neither are you if you could remember Marshall Henderson but omit Carlon Brown.

UtahsMrSports
07-10-2013, 07:12 AM
he is serious chris kupets tore it up at vanguard. You know vanguard. He averaged 14.3 ppg with a high of 38 and you can't forget antonio dimaria averaging 8.1 ppg at emporia state.

lol!

UtahsMrSports
07-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Neither are you if you could remember Marshall Henderson but omit Carlon Brown.

Are you referring to Carlon "that guy in the 13th row would be a great target for this next pass" Brown? Meh. Solid player who looks much better when he is surrounded by loads of talent, but couldn't lead a thirsty man to water 20 yards away. Yet again, my point is that I do not weep over role players, even if they are glorified role players.

sancho
07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Are you referring to Carlon "that guy in the 13th row would be a great target for this next pass" Brown? Meh. Solid player who looks much better when he is surrounded by loads of talent, but couldn't lead a thirsty man to water 20 yards away. Yet again, my point is that I do not weep over role players, even if they are glorified role players.

Carlon Brown was the MVP of the Pac-12 tournament and was all Pac-12 2nd team.

You keep talking about role players as if they were a dime a dozen. They are not.

LA Ute
07-10-2013, 09:22 AM

You keep talking about role players as if they were a dime a dozen. They are not.

Carlon was allowed to play selfishly and foolishly at Utah. Under someone other than Boylen he may have been a real contributor.

SoCalPat
07-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Carlon was allowed to play selfishly at Utah. Under someone other than Boylen he may have been a real contributor.

I think Sancho hammered the point home pretty good about Carlon's ability to produce, and on an NCAA tournament team, one I believe was picked to finish 10th in the PAC-12.

That's all meaningless because UMS said so. He'd say the same thing about Justin Hawkins and Shaun Glover, guys that were go-to options on winning teams as well.

UtahsMrSports
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM

I think you are missing my point. But at this point, its just silly to continue discussing the specifics.

UtahsMrSports
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM
I think Sancho hammered the point home pretty good about Carlon's ability to produce, and on an NCAA tournament team, one I believe was picked to finish 10th in the PAC-12.

That's all meaningless because UMS said so. He'd say the same thing about Justin Hawkins and Shaun Glover, guys that were go-to options on winning teams as well.

LOL. Pat, as always, its been real.

LA Ute
07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Utah Men's Basketball Honored by NABC (http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/071813aab.html)
Team and four student-athletes receive academic awards

SALT LAKE CITY - The National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) today announced the inaugural Team Academic Excellence Awards, created by the NABC Committee on Academics. Utah was honored as a team and four student-athletes were also recognized.

These awards recognize outstanding academic achievement by a team with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better for the 2012-13 season. Student-athletes must have a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.2 or higher at the conclusion of the 2012-13 academic year and matriculated at least one year at their current institution.

Utah was one of 23 Division 1 schools to be honored as well as only one of six other "power conference" programs to receive the award joining (Kentucky, Louisville, Stanford, Texas and Texas Tech). The Cardinal were the only other Pac-12 school to join the Utes on the Honors Court.

David Foster, Renan Lenz, Ryan Osterloh and Xan Ricketts were recognized for their hard work in the classroom as only 11 Pac-12 student-athletes were named to the Honors Court. Utah was second with four selections while Stanford placed five on the list and Colorado added two.

LA Ute
07-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Brekkot Chapman committing to Utah may be as big a milestone as Keith Van Horn decision to be a Ute. Time will tell. I hope Brekkot stays healthy and happy and grows. And puts on weight. And generally becomes a monster!

UteBeliever aka Port
07-29-2013, 05:00 PM
Brekkot Chapman committing to Utah may be as big a milestone as Keith Van Horn decision to be a Ute. Time will tell. I hope Brekkot stays healthy and happy and grows. And puts on weight. And generally becomes a monster!

I'm very excited at this news, but I shiver when I hear the impact compared to KVH's commitment. It's really only as big a milestone if we look back and see it had a similar impact and for that to happen, BC is going to have to be the kind of player that KVH was....and I just don't think that's fair to a kid.

LA Ute
07-29-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm very excited at this news, but I shiver when I hear the impact compared to KVH's commitment. It's really only as big a milestone if we look back and see it had a similar impact and for that to happen, BC is going to have to be the kind of player that KVH was....and I just don't think that's fair to a kid.

I realize I was stretching. The two are apples and oranges anyway. UCLA didn't even recruit Van Horn. He was a case of Majerus spotting talent (that UCLA's coach didn't see) and coaching it up. That's why I used the word "may." I may have been a little over the top. ;)

Jarid in Cedar
07-29-2013, 07:01 PM

I don't think that it is fair to compare him to KVH as well, but I don't think that it is an understatement to say that Chapman was the single most important recruit for the Utes in the last 10 years(esp when you consider the tender roots that we were able to plant at the end of last season)

OrangeUte
07-29-2013, 07:10 PM
This is a great piece of news heading into a new season. The Utes ended last season showing grit and team chemistry. Bringing a talented kid like this into a good environment is a great thing for the U. I don't want to compare him to anyone. I just want him to be a great local product that gets people excited and into the Huntsman Center on game day. We need to get a good game day environment going again for hoops and local talent is as good a way to do it as any. Majerus's first few years included josh grant and soto etc whose local ties were important and allowed majerus to connect with the community. The rydalch boys and drew Hansen all followed that up. Local talent helps out even if it isn't a major factor.

I'm glad to read that this kid can flat out play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SeattleUte
07-29-2013, 07:31 PM
It's not fair to compare Chapman and Van Horn. Chapman is way more highly recruited than Van Horn was.

LA Ute
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
It's not fair to compare Chapman and Van Horn. Chapman is way more highly recruited than Van Horn was.

I am hoping that someday people will say a newly-committed recruit is as big a get as Chapman turned out to be.

sancho
07-29-2013, 07:52 PM
I don't want to compare him to anyone. I just want him to be a great local product that gets people excited and into the Huntsman Center on game day.

Well, I'll make the comparisons then. I think he's MJ, Larry, Dr. J, and a minotaur all rolled into one. Only better.

LA Ute
09-04-2013, 04:22 PM
https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/2012d_header_02a.jpg

https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/2012a_leftnav_bottom_01.jpg
https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/2012a_leftnav_bottom_02.jpg

https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/2012a_leftnav_bottom_04.jpg
https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/2012a_leftnav_bottom_05.jpg
https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/assets/793/images/original/635139063925631411.jpg
Thursday, September 5th
11:00 am – 2:00 pm
Gallivan Avenue

Stop by between 11:00 am – Noon
to meet some of our players
and help Paint the Town Red!!

We hope to see you there!
GO UTES!!!
https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/spacer.png

https://az388273.vo.msecnd.net/mailsystem/templates/897/2012h_footer.jpg

http://email.jumpforwardemail.com/wf/open?upn=JpavFYnoLTX47CpO-2FXOabzjYqG6h2ymjArNh36QzXJZDcMBAuxEsJTakaHJarCcXC nJup4zGfF-2FFs1t0Jt3eTQoMWnSn-2BLGz-2FuehmzeAbIxqSBrHak-2BL7Nxyky-2FbLTfJDCxvPTOR-2FnaqlyF-2Fe0iva8nQKJ-2FRU9XHLPC6VKIpIxdx8U6NjdlstuT2PXF-2FvB3qg923k1Sa1G8L78w4R16S7b-2Bns-2FPoBpaO49Z-2FPTe-2FLuMNOkBvH3YqfE2pq9Gk5hkdWX-2Ba3WsY3y5DgBbbbBgJg8EtrRVQc2TvVdmGPaZoShg-3D

UBlender
09-04-2013, 04:47 PM
This event starts in 18 hours--this is the first I've heard of it. I hope others have heard about it or it is yet another marketing fail.

Also, why does the image show two players no longer with the team? If you were trying to get people out there are plenty of returning players whose image you could put on there.

LA Ute
09-04-2013, 04:59 PM
This event starts in 18 hours--this is the first I've heard of it. I hope others have heard about it or it is yet another marketing fail.

Also, why does the image show two players no longer with the team? If you were trying to get people out there are plenty of returning players whose image you could put on there.

Not to mention the San Diego State colors on the fans and Martin.

U-Ute
09-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Good players like to play with good players. I hope that these guys open the door to good players for the next couple of years.

Jarid in Cedar
09-04-2013, 08:11 PM
not to mention the san diego state colors on the fans and martin.

get of my lawn !!

LA Ute
09-04-2013, 08:15 PM
get of my lawn !!

Darn right!

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

LA Ute
10-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Utah on the Slow Road Back to Basketball Relevance

If you’re strictly a fan of Pac-12 basketball, you may not know it, but Utah basketball has a long and storied tradition. There are the 36 regular season conference championships, 27 NCAA Tournament appearances, 15 Sweet Sixteens, four Final Fours and even the 1944 national championship. Names like Keith Van Horn, Andre Miller, Tom Chambers, Andrew Bogut and Mike Newlin have gone on to enjoy significant success in the NBA. The thing is, all of that occurred prior to the Utes accepting its membership in the Pac-12. Since they’ve been in our fair conference, the team has gone a combined 21-43 overall and 8-28 in conference play in two seasons. But, rest assured, Utah basketball will be back sooner rather than later.

- See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2013/10/10/utah-on-the-slow-road-back-to-basketball-relevance/#sthash.maFyechP.dpuf

SoCalPat
10-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Utah on the Slow Road Back to Basketball Relevance

- See more at: http://rushthecourt.net/2013/10/10/utah-on-the-slow-road-back-to-basketball-relevance/#sthash.maFyechP.dpuf

This is a good read. My only disagreement comes with the writer's NCAA timetable. I see no reason why we shouldn't expect an NCAA bid in 2014-15. In fact, had we upgraded our non-con SOS, I think we could be a bubble team this year.

Also, it's never a bad thing to remind the Pac-12 that after UCLA and Arizona, our hoops heritage puts the rest of the league to shame.

LA Ute
10-11-2013, 08:39 AM
This is a good read. My only disagreement comes with the writer's NCAA timetable. I see no reason why we shouldn't expect an NCAA bid in 2014-15. In fact, had we upgraded our non-con SOS, I think we could be a bubble team this year.

Also, it's never a bad thing to remind the Pac-12 that after UCLA and Arizona, our hoops heritage puts the rest of the league to shame.

Agreed on all points.

LA Ute
11-25-2013, 05:50 PM
This is great. I was a little uncertain about the music in the early going, but it had me pretty inspired after a while. Check out the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-8bkXoPCM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hadrian
11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Here's the SL Trib article: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57181316-89/facility-basketball-center-utah.html.csp

LA Ute
11-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Here's the SL Trib article: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57181316-89/facility-basketball-center-utah.html.csp

"There’s no reason for us not to be at the top of the league," Hill said. "There are only two schools who have gone to the NCAA Tournament more than us and that’s UCLA and Arizona. We have a great tradition. Today was a start for our fundraising efforts and people are getting excited about it."

UtahDan
11-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Delon Wright. Wow.

Rocker Ute
11-27-2013, 10:03 PM
I gotta say, Utes look legit. This I would chalk up as a quality win, considering how Ball St has hung with some good programs. Wow what a different experience watching this game. I hope we can keep it up.

LA Ute
11-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Tonight was my first opportunity to see this team play in person. They were pretty impressive. Wright really is going to be a problem for opposing teams, and will create multiple opportunities for the other players.

I liked how even though Loveridge had an off night, Wright, Onwas, and Tucker more than compensated (Tucker rather quietly).

I think I heard Kodiak say in the post-game that the assist to turnover ratio was 23-9. Not bad.

These guys are fun to watch. The Boise State game should tell us something.

Diehard Ute
11-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Tonight was my first opportunity to see this team play in person. They were pretty impressive. Wright really is going to be a problem for opposing teams, and will create multiple opportunities for the other players.

I liked how even though Loveridge had an off night, Wright, Onwas, and Tucker more than compensated (Tucker rather quietly).

I think I heard Kodiak say in the post-game that the assist to turnover ratio was 23-9. Not bad.

These guys are fun to watch. The Boise State game should tell us something.

Entering the game the assist to TO ratio was 1.9, these guys enjoy sharing the ball.

And right now my favorite thing is the joy in Bachynski's face

crazyute
11-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Entering the game the assist to TO ratio was 1.9, these guys enjoy sharing the ball.

And right now my favorite thing is the joy in Bachynski's face
what exactly happened to bachynski last year?

Diehard Ute
11-28-2013, 12:53 PM
what exactly happened to bachynski last year?

Don't really know. But he had some issues with the mental side of the game and didn't seem happy.

It's obvious he's in a better place now and that's good for the Utes

SoCalPat
11-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Don't really know. But he had some issues with the mental side of the game and didn't seem happy.

It's obvious he's in a better place now and that's good for the Utes

He's certainly been more productive than Olsen, who leads whatever disappointments there are at this point in season.

Diehard Ute
11-28-2013, 01:04 PM
He's certainly been more productive than Olsen, who leads whatever disappointments there are at this point in season.

Olsen still seems behind...as in he's a half second behind every play. Not sure why that is, he's certainly better on offense than defense but his offense is disappointing so far.

Bachynski had a dropped pass in the first half when Wright fed him in the lane. He caught the rest the rest of the game.

LA Ute
11-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Olsen still seems behind...as in he's a half second behind every play. Not sure why that is, he's certainly better on offense than defense but his offense is disappointing so far.

Bachynski had a dropped pass in the first half when Wright fed him in the lane. He caught the rest the rest of the game.

According to one Majerus-era player who attends lots of practices and is close to the program, it's Olsen's footspeed that limits him.

Diehard Ute
11-28-2013, 01:24 PM
According to one Majerus-era player who attends lots of practices and is close to the program, it's Olsen's footspeed that limits him.

Defensively I certainly can see that.

Offensively he just never quite seems to keep up with the play but that's just me

U-Ute
12-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Idaho State hanging with Washington right now on the PAC12 Network. Fresno State plays at Cal next.

It may help us gauge where we are in the league.

LA Ute
01-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Kodiak on the weak 2013-14 pre-season schedule: (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593315/Utah-basketball-notes-Utes-set-to-face-No-10-Oregon.html)

Krystkowiak said it’s safe to say that the Utes would have liked to have played a few more difficult non-conference games, particularly on the road, this season. However, a couple of opportunities fell apart at the last minute and much of the schedule was put in place two years ago when the program won just six games.

“It’s kind of a hypothetical situation. The most important thing is are we ready to go in the league right now — and certainly we can’t talk about a kind of would of, could of, should of situation,” Krystkowiak said. “But I would have liked to have had a stronger preseason, and I think moving forward you will see one in place for us as our program strengthens.”

LA Ute
01-19-2014, 06:34 PM
I think this new basketball center will be a big step forward for the program. It may yield results more quickly than the football center, just because of the nature of basketball and how quickly a special player or two can turn things around. (Besides, there's evidence Kodiak is a good recruiter. This will be an excellent tool for him.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD_xW_h4oGw&sns=em

UTEopia
01-19-2014, 06:53 PM
I think this new basketball center will be a big step forward for the program. It may yield results more quickly than the football center, just because of the nature of basketball and how quickly a special player or two can turn things around. (Besides, there's evidence Kodiak is a good recruiter. This will be an excellent tool for him.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD_xW_h4oGw&sns=em

So here is a description of the original plans. It is clear from the new description that there will now be two buildings as opposed to the one long building that was previously described. What is totally unclear is whether the scope is now smaller than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5QHmci1Ws

If I were Hill, I would be embarrassed at that video. He mumbles and stumbles his way through the whole thing. High Schools produce better, more professional stuff. If he cannot memorize a 1 minute script or deliver off the cuff remarks with more clarity they should get someone else to do it. Utah marketing - still crappy.

LA Ute
01-19-2014, 07:15 PM
If I were Hill, I would be embarrassed at that video. He mumbles and stumbles his way through the whole thing. High Schools produce better, more professional stuff. If he cannot memorize a 1 minute script or deliver off the cuff remarks with more clarity they should get someone else to do it. Utah marketing - still crappy.

Not his best performance. I'm checking to see what this really means. From what I've been hearing about financial commitments that have been made I suspect this is actually good news. I'm also hoping that some of the full-share PAC-12 money that's coming in will be directed to marketing and fundraising upgrades.

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 09:03 PM
So far I've been able to figure out that the big change (approved about 3 weeks ago) is that the facility will now have a "basketball-only identity." It's for men's and women's basketball only and will be just northeast of the Huntsman, connected underground by tunnels.

Hadrian
01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Here are the various iterations of the building that we've been shown. Initially it was this:

http://investinutahathletics.org/wp-content/uploads/bball-floorplan.jpg

Then this:

http://s22.postimg.org/woggs0lip/Basketball_practice_facility.png

And now they handed it to Populous and came out with this:

http://s22.postimg.org/p5xadrmz5/Basketball.png

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Interesting, Hadrian. The floor plans that I understand were approved 3 weeks ago seem quite a bit different from what they started with. It will be a 4-story building dedicated to basketball. First floor will be mostly underground, it seems, with two gyms (men's and women's) on the same side (south) and weight and training/medical rooms on the north side. So very different from that first shot you shared. Second floor is where the entry will be, with this Hall of Fame area:

Third floor will have the women's basketball offices, and the men's offices will be on the fourth floor. Both coaches' offices will have spectacular views of the Salt Lake Valley (assuming no inversion!). This is the same drawing you have below, with a legend showing the reason for the separation between the two buildings:

Should be terrific for the program.

Hadrian
01-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Interesting; thanks for the info. I know the coaches wanted a view of the valley, so it looks like they're getting it. Populous does great work and I especially like the design of the hall of fame area. Now I am just wondering how much they will renovate the current HPER infrastructure and Huntsman Center to accommodate these new buildings. I remember reading that the Huntsman Center will have a club area (similar to Wyoming's new renovation (http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wyo/graphics/facilities/arena-renderings-lg-1.jpg)) and reduced capacity, as well as new lights and scoreboard.

UteBeliever aka Port
01-20-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm sure by the time it's been built it will be about half the size and constructed of cinderblock.

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Interesting; thanks for the info. I know the coaches wanted a view of the valley, so it looks like they're getting it. Populous does great work and I especially like the design of the hall of fame area. Now I am just wondering how much they will renovate the current HPER infrastructure and Huntsman Center to accommodate these new buildings. I remember reading that the Huntsman Center will have a club area (similar to Wyoming's new renovation (http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/wyo/graphics/facilities/arena-renderings-lg-1.jpg)) and reduced capacity, as well as new lights and scoreboard.

I was told the "cloud" will be gone from the Huntsman and that rails will be installed above the arena to allow curtains and other equipment to be hung. The curtains will allow a reduction in capacity for volleyball games, commencement, etc., to avoid the "cavern effect" you get otherwise. I wonder if the rails will allow performers to hang equipment too? For years musical acts haven't been booked at the JMHC because the dome and cloud didn't allow hanging sound equipment.

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm sure by the time it's been built it will be about half the size and constructed of cinderblock.

;)

Hadrian
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
I was told the "cloud" will be gone from the Huntsman and that rails will be installed above the arena to allow curtains and other equipment to be hung. The curtains will allow a reduction in capacity for volleyball games, commencement, etc., to avoid the "cavern effect" you get otherwise. I wonder if the rails will allow performers to hang equipment too? For years musical acts haven't been booked at the JMHC because the dome and cloud didn't allow hanging sound equipment.This is curious because this website (http://utahutes.cstv.com/trads/utah-trads-huntsmanctr.html) says that "the building was engineered in such a way that the cloud actually holds the dome in place."

LA Ute
01-20-2014, 11:34 PM
This is curious because this website (http://utahutes.cstv.com/trads/utah-trads-huntsmanctr.html) says that "the building was engineered in such a way that the cloud actually holds the dome in place."

Wow. I'm guessing there's some plan to replace that function.

U-Ute
01-21-2014, 09:50 AM
Wow. I'm guessing there's some plan to replace that function.

They're going to use Majerus's sweater.

:rimshot:

LA Ute
01-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks to 61 Shasta over on UF.net (who should post more here) I found this RFP document from Gramoll Construction. Gramoll has a contract with the U. for the renovation and was looking for proposals for the "rigging and curtain" part of the project. Proposals were due by December 18, so I imagine they're already pretty far along in selecting someone, if they haven't done so already.

http://www.gramoll.com/UUHuntsmanRiggingbid.shtml

It gives a pretty good idea of many of the structural renovations planned for the Huntsman Center. The job must be done in time for the 2014 basketball season (October 2014) and the "Scope of Work" section includes the following:

The Huntsman Center Arena needs an upgrade and remodel to allow for more modern uses than what the arena was originally designed for in 1969. This modernization program should allow the Huntsman Center Arena to remain a valued regional arena for years to come.

The project is seeking proposals to provide design, manufacturing and installation of a new rigging system and arena curtain system to provide for more intimate venue flexibility for multiuse options including: Athletics, Special speaking engagements, graduations and conferences. The curtain system, lighting, sound system and scoreboard will all hang off the new rigging system. A minimum of two access catwalks will be required. The new system will also connect to the Information Technology system for the building.

This project includes, but is not limited to, the full design, fabrication, shipping and erection of new rigging and curtain systems for the Huntsman Center.

Also included in this work is the lowering of the existing cloud to floor level for demolition by others (cribbing provided by others) and connection of the new rigging system to the existing Huntsman Center Arena Roof Structure.

The rigging designer/installer must be capable and willing to work closely with the Owner, Design team and CM/GC through the design phase, providing cost estimates, schedules and feedback on design details. The rigging designer/installer must also be capable and willing to work closely with other subcontractors during the erection phase. The Design Build Subcontractor will be expected to coordinate and accommodate work being performed under other contracts.The rigging system is to accommodate equipment designed by other consultants and furnished by other contractors such as arena lighting, sound reinforcement systems, score board systems and must accommodate special event loading. This equipment will be procured and installed at a later date along with all other work such as connections, conduit and wiring serving lighting and sound equipment.

This isn't the entire project -- some kind of reception area is being built too. Maybe we'll see more about that in future RFPs.

Diehard Ute
01-23-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks to 61 Shasta over on UF.net (who should post more here) I found this RFP document from Gramoll Construction. Gramoll has a contract with the U. for the renovation and was looking for proposals for the "rigging and curtain" part of the project. Proposals were due by December 18, so I imagine they're already pretty far along in selecting someone, if they haven't done so already.

http://www.gramoll.com/UUHuntsmanRiggingbid.shtml

It gives a pretty good idea of many of the structural renovations planned for the Huntsman Center. The job must be done in time for the 2014 basketball season (October 2014) and the "Scope of Work" section includes the following:

This isn't the entire project -- some kind of reception area is being built too. Maybe we'll see more about that in future RFPs.

Announcement was 12/23 per the RFP.

Diehard Ute
01-23-2014, 11:10 AM
Also, another document confirmed this is "Phase One" which I had always heard. Phase one is supposed to include the cloud/lighting/scoreboard/sound/curtain changes as well as two "grand" entrances

Phase two is changes to the seating area as well as concourse renovation (which will have to wait until offices such as men's and women's basketball move to the new facility)

LA Ute
02-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I saw on another board that Kodiak reportedly spoke at the LDS Institute tonight. If true, this makes me chuckle with appreciation at the sheer shrewdness of it -- besides which, I am confident it was done in good faith and in an effort to reach out to the entire campus community --- which is a cool thing to do. It certainly won't hurt his credibility with LDS recruits and their parents.

Rocker Ute
02-09-2014, 10:30 PM
I saw on another board that Kodiak reportedly spoke at the LDS Institute tonight. If true, this makes me chuckle with appreciation at the sheer shrewdness of it -- besides which, I am confident it was done in good faith and in an effort to reach out to the entire campus community --- which is a cool thing to do. It certainly won't hurt his credibility with LDS recruits and their parents.

It was actually announced at the Washington game, as LDSSA was a sponsor of the game. I think that is pretty cool of him, as I think it would be intimidating to speak at a religious meeting not your own.

It seems he has done a lot to reach out to the students... for the first time since I've been attending games the student section is out attending the rest of the arena.

SoCalPat
02-10-2014, 09:21 AM
It was actually announced at the Washington game, as LDSSA was a sponsor of the game. I think that is pretty cool of him, as I think it would be intimidating to speak at a religious meeting not your own.

It seems he has done a lot to reach out to the students... for the first time since I've been attending games the student section is out attending the rest of the arena.

It should probably be a litmus test for any potential football/basketball coaching hire at Utah, being able to relate to the dominant religious masses in such a setting. If you can't "recruit" them, how the hell can you expect to get Top 150 kids to come to Utah?

UBlender
02-10-2014, 10:36 AM
It should probably be a litmus test for any potential football/basketball coaching hire at Utah, being able to relate to the dominant religious masses in such a setting. If you can't "recruit" them, how the hell can you expect to get Top 150 kids to come to Utah?

When I was a student I was able to attend a similar function with Urban Meyer speaking to LDSSA. Regardless of a coach's religious affiliation (or lack thereof) reaching out to such a large student organization is a no-brainer (same as with greek row and other organizations).

Slim
02-10-2014, 12:32 PM
When I was a student I was able to attend a similar function with Urban Meyer speaking to LDSSA. Regardless of a coach's religious affiliation (or lack thereof) reaching out to such a large student organization is a no-brainer (same as with greek row and other organizations).

UBlender and I went to the U went to at the same time. I remember Urban was at several LDSSA functions. He was king at public relations. I also remember Bernie Machen (University President at the time) doing a fireside as well. I think it is great. There is a connection made there regardless of religious affiliation. I think it's great.

LA Ute
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Not much new here but interesting article about Huntsman upgrades:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57527120-89/huntsman-basketball-center-utah.html.csp

Applejack
02-12-2014, 07:42 AM
I've been hearing that Josh Sharp might be pushed out at the Y next year. I never like to see a kid's dream get extinguished, but when you pull a Trent Whiting I have much less sympathy.

Utah
02-12-2014, 09:17 PM
I've been hearing that Josh Sharp might be pushed out at the Y next year. I never like to see a kid's dream get extinguished, but when you pull a Trent Whiting I have much less sympathy.

The ironic thing is, Sharp might have done the smart thing, because he probably loses his scholarship at Utah last summer.

Applejack
02-13-2014, 07:03 AM
The ironic thing is, Sharp might have done the smart thing, because he probably loses his scholarship at Utah last summer.

I doubt it. We probably don't recruit Kovacevic with Sharp on the roster. And, to be frank, I'd trade Kova for Sharp right now. I'd even throw in a draft pick.

LA Ute
02-13-2014, 07:05 AM

I think I recall Harmon gushing about what a steal Sharp was for Utah. I also think Krysko got some grief from the usual suspects about letting Sharp go.

sancho
02-13-2014, 07:09 AM
I doubt it. We probably don't recruit Kovacevic with Sharp on the roster. And, to be frank, I'd trade Kova for Sharp right now. I'd even throw in a draft pick.

Doesn't matter all that much, but I'll stick with Kova. Neither gets playing time on this team, but it's nice to know there is another big body there in case Lenz, Bach, and JO all get into foul trouble.

Applejack
02-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Doesn't matter all that much, but I'll stick with Kova. Neither gets playing time on this team, but it's nice to know there is another big body there in case Lenz, Bach, and JO all get into foul trouble.

Agree to disagree. Kova has 13 points all year (5 if you discount games against a bad high school team - St. Kats). I said this after watching him live against St Kats, but Kova is not going to make it. He's a terrible post defender.

sancho
02-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Agree to disagree. Kova has 13 points all year (5 if you discount games against a bad high school team - St. Kats). I said this after watching him live against St Kats, but Kova is not going to make it. He's a terrible post defender.

I can't imagine where or when Sharp would get minutes on this team. If you are going to have a stiff as your 12th man, you prefer a tall stiff.

UTEopia
02-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I can't imagine where or when Sharp would get minutes on this team. If you are going to have a stiff as your 12th man, you prefer a tall stiff.

If the Utes are able to get the big Austrian who just visited or a similar big man someone is going to go and based on on-court performance alone I would ave to think it would be Kova. I don't see him progressing as much as Bach or Olsen and replacing him with a freshman balances out the big man classes a little better.

SoCalPat
02-13-2014, 12:47 PM
if the utes are able to get the big australian who just visited or a similar big man someone is going to go and based on on-court performance alone i would ave to think it would be kova. I don't see him progressing as much as bach or olsen and replacing him with a freshman balances out the big man classes a little better.

fify.

Applejack
02-13-2014, 01:03 PM
fify.

Who is this mystery Austrian/Australian? Is he more Andrew Bogut or Ben Melmeth?

LA Ute
02-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Who is this mystery Austrian/Australian? Is he more Andrew Bogut or Ben Melmeth?

He's Austrian, name is Jakob Poeltl. 7-footer. Google will tell you about him.

UtahsMrSports
02-13-2014, 02:23 PM
fify.

Lol, you ought to google it.

sancho
02-13-2014, 02:29 PM
He's Austrian, name is Jakob Poeltl. 7-footer. Google will tell you about him.

But Google will not tell me whether he's the next Bogut or the next Melmuth.

Diehard Ute
02-13-2014, 02:32 PM

Neither. He's the next Ahhhhhhnold

Applejack
02-13-2014, 02:40 PM

I just googled "Best Austrian basketball player ever." :disheartened:

SoCalPat
02-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Lol, you ought to google it.

My bad. I thought you were talking about this guy:

http://ausahoops.com/70-perry-is-developing-his-game-at-the-ais/

LA Ute
02-13-2014, 03:08 PM

I don't recall where I learned this, but he's also being recruited by Arizona and Cal. He attended a game at the Huntsman recently with his mom and dad and sat by someone impressive (a former Ute player?) who was helping recruit him. He might have gone into the locker room with the team after the game (my memory is fuzzy). Evidently Kodiak wants the kid enough to make a real effort.

LA Ute
02-13-2014, 03:11 PM
my bad. I thought you were talking about this guy:

http://ausahoops.com/70-perry-is-developing-his-game-at-the-ais/

Applejack
02-13-2014, 03:15 PM
I don't recall where I learned this, but he's also being recruited by Arizona and Cal. He attended a game at the Huntsman recently with his mom and dad and sat by someone impressive (a former Ute player?) who was helping recruit him. He might have gone into the locker room with the team after the game (my memory is fuzzy). Evidently Kodiak wants the kid enough to make a real effort.

I think Arizona wants him to red/grayshirt for a year first. Cal is hot on his trail, though.

But again, don't google "Austrian basketball stars" if you want to get excited about this kid's potential.

UtahsMrSports
02-13-2014, 03:32 PM
I absolutely hate the "Guess who transfers!" game that some of the folks in the fanbase like to play during the season (after the season, i jump right in), but I think its safe to say that Marko will probably be elsewhere next year. Itd be tough to go into next year with a three headed center monster of two sr's and one jr. Replacing him with a freshman who can develop would be ideal. It will be interesting to watch this unfold.

311ute
02-13-2014, 04:39 PM
If we land this kid, we would have to be the only team with two native German speaking kids on the roster.

Javol!

LA Ute
02-13-2014, 04:54 PM
If we land this kid, we would have to be the only team with two native German speaking kids on the roster.

Javol!

Hey, maybe that gives us an advantage! Go get 'im, Ogbe!

UTEopia
02-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Hey, maybe that gives us an advantage! Go get 'im, Ogbe!

I was told by someone that he and Ogbe have crossed paths in Germany's junior leagues.

LA Ute
02-13-2014, 05:20 PM
But again, don't google "Austrian basketball stars" if you want to get excited about this kid's potential.

I guess the total number would be right up there with Monacan war heroes.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Utah last year in games decided by ...

3 points or less/OT: 2-4

5 points or less: 5-6

Utah this year in games decided by ...

3 points or less/OT: 0-6

5 points or less: 1-7

Last two years 3 points or less/OT: 2-10

Last two years 5 points or less: 6-13

This is not a good trend and is my primary point of contention when people say we're "improved." We're in about as many close games as we were last year and, if possible, winning fewer of them. It should also be noted we got 2 close wins last year only because of Vegas and the tournament format -- we were 0-4 in the regular season and if we lose to USC in Vegas, we don't get the chance to get a close win vs. Cal.

sancho
02-20-2014, 08:45 AM
This is not a good trend and is my primary point of contention when people say we're "improved."

I understand that there's an issue here, but it's also more than clear that this is an "improved" team.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 08:51 AM
I understand that there's an issue here, but it's also more than clear that this is an "improved" team.

Oh sure, we're improved in talent and Bachinsky has been a major difference maker, but ultimately you paint yourself into a corner where you have no choice but to win most of those games. And in that regard, we're not improved.

Bottom line, our results in close games is not an acceptable standard for next year; hence, the choice of thread I put this in.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 08:59 AM
I see that the Utes went 4-5 at home last year. We will end up at worst somewhere between 7-2 and 5-4, but I think we win at least one of our next two games. Probably both.

That's a big improvement right there. You start by winning your games at home.

concerned
02-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Oh sure, we're improved in talent and Bachinsky has been a major difference maker, but ultimately you paint yourself into a corner where you have no choice but to win most of those games. And in that regard, we're not improved.

Bottom line, our results in close games is not an acceptable standard for next year; hence, the choice of thread I put this in.

Did Wright play point in JC and hs? I think part of the problem is that he is not a natural point guard, or at least a point guard with a lot of experience, and he has trouble running the offense at the end of games--particularly last night and Oregon. Really hurt us in both games. Maybe a year of experience will make a big difference. Seems as though he is not sure what to do, and certainly is not in command as an experienced pg would be.

SoCalPat
02-20-2014, 09:11 AM
I see that the Utes went 4-5 at home last year. We will end up at worst somewhere between 7-2 and 5-4, but I think we win at least one of our next two games. Probably both.

That's a big improvement right there. You start by winning your games at home.

I agree. To borrow from Les Miles, right now we're undefeated at home in regulation.

We've also been monsters against the spread, meaning we're killing the public's expectations of us.

Our record in close games is an indicator of how far we've come. It's also an indicator of how far we have to go. You can preach patience when talking about incoming/future recruits and the impact they'll have on our future. You can only preach it for so long when you keep losing games in the manner we did last night.

chrisrenrut
02-20-2014, 09:20 AM
We start 4 sophomores and a junior. A big part of our comeback run last night occurred with two freshman on the floor. Arizona is young too, but they are clearly more talented at nearly every position.

My step-son attended the game with me last night, and he is a longtime Arizona fan. He mentioned that Johnson was their "closer", and asked who ours was. I had to reply that we really don't have one, and I attribute that to the youth and lack of experience, and confidence that experience brings.

I am kind of resigned to who this team is this year. Fairly talented, hard working, improved from last year, but not quite "there" yet.

UtahsMrSports
02-20-2014, 09:25 AM
My thoughts on the general state of Ute hoops:

http://benthinkinglately.blogspot.com/2014/02/another-chapter-in-book-of-fans.html

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 09:44 AM
Did Wright play point in JC and hs? I think part of the problem is that he is not a natural point guard, or at least a point guard with a lot of experience, and he has trouble running the offense at the end of games--particularly last night and Oregon. Really hurt us in both games. Maybe a year of experience will make a big difference. Seems as though he is not sure what to do, and certainly is not in command as an experienced pg would be.

My guess that with his athleticism and size, Delon always had the ball in his hands. But he wasn't running an offense, he just did his thing.

My theory on the comparative differences between Delon vs Dorrel Wright's shooting ability: Dorrel is the older brother. Delon deferred to him on the court. Dorrel shot the ball, Delon found a way to get him the ball.

U-Ute
02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
I agree. To borrow from Les Miles, right now we're undefeated at home in regulation.

We've also been monsters against the spread, meaning we're killing the public's expectations of us.

Our record in close games is an indicator of how far we've come. It's also an indicator of how far we have to go. You can preach patience when talking about incoming/future recruits and the impact they'll have on our future. You can only preach it for so long when you keep losing games in the manner we did last night.

True. The problem with your statistic is that nearly all of our close games have been on the road. We've been killing it at home. So I prefer to measure progress by home and road wins vs close games.

I couldn't find next year's schedule to see how realistic this is, but my expectation for next year is that we will continue to win our home games at the clip we have been (7 wins) and we win 4-5 of our road games next year (.500 on the road). That puts us, at worst case, 11-7 in conference, which should land us in the top half of the league. I would count that as progress, even if all of those losses are by 2 points.

Utah
02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Young teams usually lose close games. No need to over-react.

LA Ute
03-07-2014, 12:22 PM
This kinda sorta fits in here:

Catching up: Old friends Andre Miller, Alex Jensen reflect on their time at Utah under coach Rick Majerus (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865598102/Catching-up-Old-friends-Andre-Miller-Alex-Jensen-reflect-on-their-time-at-Utah-under-coach-Rick.html?pg=1)

LA Ute
03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Looking ahead to 2014-15:

It seems like the recipe for success for our opponents during 2013-2014 was this: Do whatever you need to do to stay close, within 10 points, and chances are the Utah team will fold In the final five minutes.

Imagine you are an opposing coach studying video of this past season's team. If you were, I think some additional points for the formula would be to seal the keyhole off from Wright, and bump Loveridge a lot so he becomes frustrated and checks out of the game. I suppose another tip might be to foul Princeton whenever he has an open lane to the hoop because he can't make the free throw shots. Also, do what you can to exploit the fact that Utah's starting PG is 5'9" tall. Let's face it, every player in our rotation has a significant weakness and opposing teams learned to exploit those weaknesses. Add to all of that the almost inevitable and inexplicable loss of composure in the final few minutes, and you know how to beat the Utes. I am hoping that during the off-season the coaching staff and the players can find ways to fix some of those weaknesses, to the extent possible, and that the incoming players can fill some gaps. They will all be young (Kuzma and Chapman) and unproven (Reyes). And I don't know how a coach instils mental toughness in a team that seems to lack it. But hope springs eternal.

concerned
03-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Looking ahead to 2014-15:

It seems like the recipe for success for our opponents during 2013-2014 was this: Do whatever you need to do to stay close, within 10 points, and chances are the Utah team will fold In the final five minutes.

Imagine you are an opposing coach studying video of this past season's team. If you were, I think some additional points for the formula would be to seal the keyhole off from Wright, and bump Loveridge a lot so he becomes frustrated and checks out of the game. I suppose another tip might be to foul Princeton whenever he has an open lane to the hoop because he can't make the free throw shots. Also, do what you can to exploit the fact that Utah's starting PG is 5'9" tall. Let's face it, every player in our rotation has a significant weakness and opposing teams learned to exploit those weaknesses. Add to all of that the almost inevitable and inexplicable loss of composure in the final few minutes, and you know how to beat the Utes. I am hoping that during the off-season the coaching staff and the players can find ways to fix some of those weaknesses, to the extent possible, and that the incoming players can fill some gaps. They will all be young (Kuzma and Chapman) and unproven (Reyes). And I don't know how a coach instils mental toughness in a team that seems to lack it. But hope springs eternal.

Remember when the color guy berated Onwas/Larry because Onwas had a clear lane to the hoop and could have given Holt his 5th foul, but didn't take the oppty? I wonder if it was because he didnt want to go to the line.

LA Ute
03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Remember when the color guy berated Onwas/Larry because Onwas had a clear lane to the hoop and could have given Holt his 5th foul, but didn't take the oppty? I wonder if it was because he didnt want to go to the line.

It's tragicomic. We have an athletic 2 who can get to the hoop but who can't make 50% of his free throws.

LA Ute
03-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Krysko nails it (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865599056/Utah-couldnt-finish-2-again-2-in-loss-to-Gaels-in-NIT.html):

“Having a lot of guys back does not lead to being successful the next year,’’ he said. “That’s the biggest mistake we can make, saying, ‘Oh we’ve got everybody back except (Lenz)’ and expect some kind of success out of it. That’s not the ticket. Hopefully we’re a year older and a year wiser and our bodies will be stronger. We’ve got to improve in a lot of areas to get better.’’

We'll be middle-of-the-pack next season too if the deficiencies are not fixed.

Utah
03-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Krysko nails it (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865599056/Utah-couldnt-finish-2-again-2-in-loss-to-Gaels-in-NIT.html):

We'll be middle-of-the-pack next season too if the deficiencies are not fixed.

Amen to this. If we are going to be any better, we need Kuzma and Chapman to step up big time. I really think Kuzma starts day one at a forward spot and the other forward spot comes down to Reyes and Loveridge.

Could you imagine if Loveridge didn't start for us next year? How amazing would that be? Loveridge is a very good player, and if he couldn't beat our Kuzma and Reyes, then we will be very good. If our starting five is the same next year...I don't know if we are any better.

sancho
03-20-2014, 01:18 PM
we need Kuzma and Chapman to step up big time

Or we need players to improve. It does happen.

Utah
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
Or we need players to improve. It does happen.

Yes, but shouldn't everyone's players improve? So, wouldn't the best chance to improve, especially for a program like Utah where they are two years off of rock bottom and still not there depth wise, be through new players, especially when those four players are very, very good?

I get everyone can improve, but the fastest way to improve would be to bring in two players who can get into the starting five next year.

Utah
03-23-2014, 12:16 AM
We have our starting PG for next year. Wright will be back!

sancho
03-23-2014, 07:08 AM
We have our starting PG for next year. Wright will be back!

Great news.

May the jump-shot gods smile upon his efforts this off-season. Both the three-point gods and the midrange floater gods. Throw in the get-to-the-line gods for good measure.

Diehard Ute
03-23-2014, 07:39 AM
For those that don't know the source, Delon tweeted a pic with "until next year" and Tony Jones has tweeted he confirmed Delon will return (which Delon retweeted)

LA Ute
03-23-2014, 09:35 AM
For those that don't know the source, Delon tweeted a pic with "until next year" and Tony Jones has tweeted he confirmed Delon will return (which Delon retweeted)

Dorrell Wright also tweeted separately:

Delon Wright to return to Utah for his senior season http://www.snsanalytics.com/58hty0

The link is to NBC Sports.

LA Ute
03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
I'd never seen this bit about Brekkott Chapman:

http://youtu.be/U3u-pKS7QYk

Looks like a good kid.

LA Ute
03-24-2014, 05:09 PM
This fits here as well as anywhere, I guess. From the New York Daily News:

Utah's Blitz Kids: NCAA's original Cinderella story (http://creative.nydailynews.com/blitzkids)

U-Ute
03-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Here's how I see it breaking down next year:

PG: D. Wright, Taylor, I. Wright
SG: Ogbe/Tucker/Onwas, Fields
SF: J Love, Chapman
PF: Kuzma, Reyes
C: Bachynski, JO

NOTE: The "/" means I think they are interchangeable, the "," denotes depth.

Random thoughts:
I would be surprised to see I. Wright, Chapman, or Reyes start. Freshman and transfer guys usually don't play good enough defense. The exception in this case would be Kuzma. I think he starts because we need a true stretch 4 on the offensive end and JLove is not a 4 in this league. I think the other 4 can work to overcome his defensive liabilities. Especially with Bachynski hovering around with him in the key.

I'll believe in Reyes when I see him. He may be a rebounding machine in JC, but it may be because he was the biggest guy on the court in JC because everyone else was in D1.

Ogbe won't play PG over Taylor. Unless Ogbe improves dramatically over the summer, he doesn't have the handles, the knowledge of the offense or the defense, or the mental toughness of Taylor. Any speculation otherwise is ludicrous. That being said, Ogbe is our best shooter. He struggled with defense, but looked like he improved towards the end of the season. He could emerge as the starter at the 2 - the exception being is that I have a concern with this lineup with defense. I can see Tucker or Onwas starting for Ogbe for defensive reasons if Ogbe doesn't improve enough over the summer. This would be as a tradeoff with having Kuzma on the floor for offense. Last with the guards: Fields showed me some great athleticism, and he could charge up the depth chart because of his experience and athleticism - if he has his head on right.

The coaching staff needs to figure out how to get JLove more involved on the offensive end next year. The problem I see is that he is not a spot up shooter but is at his best when he can put the ball on the floor and either bull rush the rim or pull up for the mid range jumper, but you don't want to take the ball out of the hands of Taylor or D. Wright. Right now, the best way I can see him inserting himself in the offense is the Alex Jensen way: offensive rebounds and savvy play (being in the right place when Taylor or D. Wright charge the lane).

I see Kova as being the odd man out. He really looked lost in the times he was on the floor. Maybe he just didn't have the time to learn it all with the injury and he is improving at practices, but I just have a hard time seeing it.

I wouldn't want Carlino. The way that guy has moved around, he obviously thinks he is owed something. That's not gonna fly with K, nor would I want it to.

SeattleUte
03-25-2014, 10:07 AM
I don't understand why you guys all think Kuzma is better than Chapman. What do you know more than the national firms that rate recruits.

Utah
03-25-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't understand why you guys all think Kuzma is better than Chapman. What do you know more than the national firms that rate recruits.

I put Kuzma over Chapman because Kuzma has been in Utah for the last year, and everybody who has seen him thinks he starts next year and is our leading scorer. If Chapman is better than Kuzma, then we will be damn good. Compete for the PAC-12 title, elite eight good.

Kuzma is legit. He will shock us at how good he is. If Chapman is better? Wow.

sancho
03-25-2014, 11:32 AM
I put Kuzma over Chapman because Kuzma has been in Utah for the last year, and everybody who has seen him thinks he starts next year and is our leading scorer. If Chapman is better than Kuzma, then we will be damn good. Compete for the PAC-12 title, elite eight good.

Kuzma is legit. He will shock us at how good he is. If Chapman is better? Wow.

Yup. Kuzma's "Next Big Thing" Sports Illustrated cover is due out any day now.

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 11:48 AM

Those who have seen Chapman play a lot this year say he's not strong enough yet to compete at the D1 level. Still, I'm calling it now: By the middle of next season he will be playing lots of minutes. He'll be like Ogbe this season but progressing faster and contributing even more.

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 11:52 AM
I'll believe in Reyes when I see him. He may be a rebounding machine in JC, but it may be because he was the biggest guy on the court in JC because everyone else was in D1.

Agreed. It's been a little surprsing to watch the idea of Reyes the Rebounder take hold. We have no idea how well he'll perform in D1. I hope he's a monster rebounder, but not someone to count on yet.

sancho
03-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Those who have seen Chapman play a lot this year say he's not strong enough yet to compete at the D1 level.

I have only seen one youtube video, but that was my thought as well. But it's not unheard of for a skinny kid to kick butt. It's vague, but I also seem to remember a somewhat slow, low release on his shot (which works well for Kyle Anderson of UCLA)?

Ute Bear
03-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Here is your chance to see Reyes in action.

Here is link to to road game he played this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7_w7nOo6o

Its a pretty good production by Santa Monica College, complete with commentary. You won't have to watch very much of the game to understand why we gave him a scholarship.

U-Ute
03-25-2014, 12:42 PM

Here is link to to road game he played this year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C7_w7nOo6o

Its a pretty good production by Santa Monica College, complete with commentary. You won't have to watch very much of the game to understand why we gave him a scholarship.

Nice find!

Thanks!

LA Ute
03-25-2014, 02:20 PM

Thanks. The guy looks like a beast (in the best possible sense). I'm starting to get a little excited about him as a Ute.

Applejack
03-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Thanks, UteBear. I just watched the first 5 minutes or so. It's a little tough to judge because he is SO much bigger than everyone out there, but he makes a couple nice slips on the pick-and-roll and seems pretty handy going to the rim. I was a little worried by his flat-footed, always helping defense, but the guy he was guarding may have been a non-factor on offense.

Utah
03-25-2014, 05:09 PM

You know, that Reyes kid, you know, looks, you know, pretty, you know, impressive. ha ha.

LA Ute
03-26-2014, 12:09 PM
This is pretty cool: (http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032614aab.html)

Utah Men's Basketball Places Record Five on Pac-12 All-Academic Teams

Utah sophomores Jeremy Olsen and Brandon Taylor were each named to the Pac-12's All-Academic First Team this afternoon by league commissioner Larry Scott. In all, a record five Utes earned accolades from the league due to excellence in the classroom.

Olsen, who has a 3.77 GPA in Accounting, earned scholastic honors for the second-consecutive season. Taylor, who owns a 3.71 GPA in Psychology, gave Utah two of the five spots on the First Team. The Ute duo was joined by three Stanford student-athletes, Anthony Brown, John Gage and Robbie Lemons.

Dallin Bachynski, Renan Lenz and Dakarai Tucker were named honorable mention all-academic Pac-12 as Utah and Stanford combined for 11 student-athletes of the 18 selected by the conference. Lenz, a senior from Brazil, has a 3.09 GPA in Economics, while Bachynski has a 3.00 GPA in Communications and Tucker has a 3.05 GPA.

To be eligible for selection to the academic team, a student-athlete must have a minimum 3.0 overall grade-point average and be either a starter or significant contributor. The Pac-12 All Academic regulations define a "starter or significant substitute" as having participated in 50 percent of a team's scheduled contests, except in unusual circumstances, such as injury.

Utah and Stanford: The brains of PAC-12 hoops.

LA Ute
03-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Isaiah Wright is starting to look pretty good:

5A All-Idaho Player of the year (http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2014/03/29/23/54/y9f5W.So.36.pdf)

SoCalPat
03-31-2014, 08:45 AM
Isaiah Wright is starting to look pretty good:

5A All-Idaho Player of the year (http://media.idahostatesman.com/smedia/2014/03/29/23/54/y9f5W.So.36.pdf)

I would like to know what he's done vs. AAU/travel ball competition, because HS hoops in Idaho is weak. That said, Josh Huestis, who was a great player at Stanford (and IIRC, a player Jim Boylen went after pretty hard) piled up similar accolades coming out of Montana, hardly a prep hoops hotbed.. This type of player is the most intriguing, because you really don't have a clue as to their ceiling.

He could be the star of the class or he could be Kareem Storey, Part II -- a kid whose background led me to believe he'd have a much better career at Utah than he actually had.

concerned
03-31-2014, 08:49 AM
I would like to know what he's done vs. AAU/travel ball competition, because HS hoops in Idaho is weak. That said, Josh Huestis, who was a great player at Stanford (and IIRC, a player Jim Boylen went after pretty hard) piled up similar accolades coming out of Montana, hardly a prep hoops hotbed.. This type of player is the most intriguing, because you really don't have a clue as to their ceiling.

He could be the star of the class or he could be Kareem Storey, Part II -- a kid whose background led me to believe he'd have a much better career at Utah than he actually had.

Who was the big stiff that Majerus recruited out of Montana or Wyoming late in his tenure? Memory fails.

UtahsMrSports
03-31-2014, 09:03 AM
Who was the big stiff that Majerus recruited out of Montana or Wyoming late in his tenure? Memory fails.

I believe you are referring to Jake Schmidt, from Thermopolis, Wyoming.

Ute Bear
03-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Hey, I liked Kareem Storey. Classy kid. Here is what he said about Utah last year:

“They were actually thinking about me staying there, but they were recruiting other guards,” he said. “The system is primarily like a halfcourt-based offense. I don’t feel like that works to my strengths. My strengths are penetrating, attacking, getting shots early in transition. I feel like a different fit would have been better.

“It was tough to leave it behind, especially the fans in Utah. They were awesome. They supported us even though we were having a rough season. But it was just something I had to do to make a progression. I think it worked well for me and Utah, so all in all I think it was the best thing to do. It was kind of hard to do, but at the end of the day it was something I had to do.”

concerned
03-31-2014, 09:40 AM
Hey, I liked Kareem Storey. Classy kid. Here is what he said about Utah last year:

“They were actually thinking about me staying there, but they were recruiting other guards,” he said. “The system is primarily like a halfcourt-based offense. I don’t feel like that works to my strengths. My strengths are penetrating, attacking, getting shots early in transition. I feel like a different fit would have been better.

“It was tough to leave it behind, especially the fans in Utah. They were awesome. They supported us even though we were having a rough season. But it was just something I had to do to make a progression. I think it worked well for me and Utah, so all in all I think it was the best thing to do. It was kind of hard to do, but at the end of the day it was something I had to do.”

so that is our problem. We have an offense with no penetrating, attacking, or shots early in transition. Actually, it did seem as though we could have used more of all of those things.

Mormon Red Death
03-31-2014, 09:50 AM
From espn insider today:

Joel Francisco: If you're looking for a team to be a spoiler in next year's NCAA tournament, look no further than the Utah Utes (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/254/class/2014). The Utes finished 21-12 overall and 9-9 in the much-improved Pac-12 this season. Coach Larry Krystkowiak has every player coming back, plus an outstanding recruiting class coming in. All-Pac-12 point guard Delon Wright (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66236/delon-wright) returns along with the versatile Jordan Loveridge (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61737/jordan-loveridge). Speedy backup point guard Brandon Taylor (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61740/brandon-taylor) and wing shooter Dakarai Tucker (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61741/dakarai-tucker) are back in the mix as well. In the frontcourt, Dallin Bachynski (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/48699/dallin-bachynski)and Jeremy Olsen (http://sports.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/45809/jeremy-olsen) are back to hold down the paint. Thanks to so many returning players, Krystkowiak will be able to slowly bring along a talented group of newcomers that features the stellar all-around game of Brekkott Chapman (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/173156/brekkott-chapman), the multi-skilled Kyle Kuzma (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/186507/kyle-kuzma) and yet another polished, savvy point guard in Isaiah Wright (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/169289/isaiah-wright). Overall, the Utes will be skilled, deep and, most importantly, experienced. By the time March comes around, Utah should be a squad every team in the country will need to be aware of heading into the tournament.

LA Ute
03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
so that is our problem. We have an offense with no penetrating, attacking, or shots early in transition. Actually, it did seem as though we could have used more of all of those things.

I am hoping we see more of that next season. I was watching all the Elite 8 teams play and was pretty envious of the way they attacked. Especially Michigan State. I liked that team a lot. With better and longer athletes (e.g., Kuzma) we may be able to pull that style off a little better. Watching guys like Keith Appling convinced me that if Delon can develop a pull-up jumper that alone will change our offensive capabilities significantly.

Rocker Ute
03-31-2014, 11:48 AM
From espn insider today:

Don't believe it, they are positive about Loveridge, so they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

SeattleUte
03-31-2014, 04:27 PM
From espn insider today:

BS we will not be NCAA spoilers. We will be 40-0!

SeattleUte
03-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Hey, I liked Kareem Storey. Classy kid.

I agree. He could have contributed, was contributing, and I was surprised he was let go.

Scratch
03-31-2014, 06:27 PM
"Coach Larry Krystkowiak has every player coming back . . ."

Poor Renan.

SoCalPat
04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I agree. He could have contributed, was contributing, and I was surprised he was let go.

For all of my criticisms and perceived shortcomings of Brandon Taylor, Storey is a clear step below Brandon in what he brings to the table.

U-Ute
04-03-2014, 09:10 AM
For all of my criticisms and perceived shortcomings of Brandon Taylor, Storey is a clear step below Brandon in what he brings to the table.

Good kid. Couldn't shoot.

Applejack
04-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Agreed. I liked Storey, but the kid was a bricklayer.

FountainOfUte
04-03-2014, 09:49 AM

Don't look now, but this might describe a good many players currently on our roster. *Gulp*

Applejack
04-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Don't look now, but this might describe a good many players currently on our roster. *Gulp*

The irony is not lost on me. However, our non-shooters are all taller than 5-10.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 10:27 AM
This is unexpected. I knew Kodiak was getting a salray increase, but this looks like an extension.

Tony Jones @Tjonessltrib

Breaking news: Chris Hill tells me he and Larry Krystkowiak have agreed in principle to a new five year contract

Diehard Ute
04-03-2014, 11:01 AM
This is unexpected. I knew Kodiak was getting a salray increase, but this looks like an extension.

Article says they've "changed some things around".

Guessing this is also a way to make sure places like Cal keep their hands off (even though this was done before Cal had an opening)

Utah
04-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Guessing this is also a way to make sure places like Cal keep their hands off (even though this was done before Cal had an opening)

I bet it doesn't hurt with how full the Hunty was this year. I think they hoped that we would end up a little worse off than we did. We really excelled expectations this year. They probably told Coach K that he made them some extra cash, and they threw some of that back his way.

So far, things are working out peachy for all involved.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 11:09 AM

I understand they have been talking about increasing his compensation and changing a few other things since early this year, well before the Cal opening came up. I hadn't heard that an actual extension was on the table.

LA Ute
04-03-2014, 09:17 PM
One thing Utah fans should be proud of is our hoops team's academic performance. We placed 5 players on the PAC-12 all-academic team. Only Stanford had more, with 6. I'm watching right now Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel and it's pretty shocking to see the Mickey Mouse stuff other major universities (Michigan and North Carolina, for example) are getting away with. College football players who can't read? Athletes graduating with fake degrees? Really?

LA Ute
04-04-2014, 07:34 AM
Some fun video of Isaiah Wright to watch:

http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/isaiah-wright-talks-awards-utah/

Looks like the kid works hard. He also has a pull-up jumper, something that's been missing from the Ute arsenal the last couple of years.

LA Ute
04-04-2014, 08:08 AM
And this is an interesting analysis of home basketball attendance since 1983. It's hard to explain why attendance dropped after Giac's and Boylen's best seasons. I suspect that won't happen to Kodiak next season but we'll see.

http://lighttheu.com/2014/04/utah-basketball-attendance-history-krystkowiak/

concerned
04-04-2014, 08:18 AM
And this is an interesting analysis of home basketball attendance since 1983. It's hard to explain why attendance dropped after Giac's and Boylen's best seasons. I suspect that won't happen to Kodiak next season but we'll see.

Does everybody in the world now have a blog? Its like the old joke about opinions and certain holes. How do you find these, and how do you keep up?

concerned
04-04-2014, 08:20 AM

btw, you and I can both testify that average attendance before 1983 was much higher than 10,000.

LA Ute
04-04-2014, 08:29 AM
btw, you and I can both testify that average attendance before 1983 was much higher than 10,000.

I remember waiting in line overnight for tickets to the 1978 New Mexico game. And that wasn't the only game -- almost all home games that year were like that. Also numerous BYU games that were 100% sold out.

Does everybody in the world now have a blog? Its like the old joke about opinions and certain holes. How do you find these, and how do you keep up?

Part of it is being home sick yesterday and today and coping with boredom. I happened to see that Light the U blog on UF.net (which is pretty dead these days).

sancho
04-04-2014, 08:35 AM
Some news: Parker Van Dyke received a mission call to Birmingham, AL.

U-Ute
04-04-2014, 09:33 AM

He has people. Don't you have people? *tsk tsk* Get with it!

U-Ute
04-04-2014, 09:50 AM

:rofl: :clap:

LA Ute
04-04-2014, 11:13 AM

:rofl: :clap:

Now that is funny. And surely not the first time Kodiak has mentioned the subject to Chapman. Nor will it be the last!

U-Ute
01-22-2015, 09:11 AM
The late season/early summer portion of his thread is fun to look back on. We were right on some things, missed on a few. For all of the angst we had, this team has started off pretty well.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 09:55 AM

SoCalPat
01-22-2015, 11:22 AM

At what point do we say "Risen" instead of "Rising"?

I had an ongoing war with some during Larry's second season, especially after a last-second loss at Arizona had people insisting "We're back!" Not only is that the ultimate Poppinga cry, it also reminds me of the one time I used it during the Boylen era -- after Green hit a buzzer-beater to beat Cal. My faith was rewarded with four losses in our next six games against D-1 opponents. So I'm a little skittish about any proclamations. Give this team some kind of hardware -- it can even be shared -- and I'll board that train.

LA Ute
01-22-2015, 11:45 AM
At what point do we say "Risen" instead of "Rising"?

I had an ongoing war with some during Larry's second season, especially after a last-second loss at Arizona had people insisting "We're back!" Not only is that the ultimate Poppinga cry, it also reminds me of the one time I used it during the Boylen era -- after Green hit a buzzer-beater to beat Cal. My faith was rewarded with four losses in our next six games against D-1 opponents. So I'm a little skittish about any proclamations. Give this team some kind of hardware -- it can even be shared -- and I'll board that train.

My view is that they are still rising. They have risen steadily and without any backsliding. in terms of being "back," I think they reached that point last season. They don't have to win a championship to be back. When they do, we can say "Utah championship in basketball is back."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
So here is an interesting exercise: Who, in Boylen's last year, would be good enough to be on the team this year, would they be starting or backup and who would you drop for them?

Here is a link to that roster.

http://www.utahutes.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/1011-m-baskbl-roster.html

Clyburn was good but I'd kind of put him at the talent level of Loveridge. I'd take Loveridge over him.

O'Brien was good, I'd take him. Not sure who I'd drop.

Washburn turned out pretty good, but I'd put him maybe on par with Olsen? I dunno.

I'm fond of all our guys right now, I wouldn't want to see any of them go.

sancho
01-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Washburn turned out pretty good, but I'd put him maybe on par with Olsen? I dunno.

I'd take Washburn and let Olsen go. I'd take Clyburn and let Ogbe go. Forget OBrien.

SoCalPat
01-22-2015, 08:56 PM
I'd take Washburn and let Olsen go. I'd take Clyburn and let Ogbe go. Forget OBrien.

This. Clyburn ahead of Loveridge is a no brainer. Clyburn's numbers his one year here match up very favorably with Hanno Mattola, and no one would take Jordan ahead of Hanno.

Washburn was a very good player for us his senior year. Olsen will never put up the 12 and 7 while shooting 55 percent from the field that Wash did his senior year. Hell, I'd easily take the senior Washburn ahead of a freshman Poeltl.

Rocker Ute
01-23-2015, 08:46 AM
This. Clyburn ahead of Loveridge is a no brainer. Clyburn's numbers his one year here match up very favorably with Hanno Mattola, and no one would take Jordan ahead of Hanno.

Washburn was a very good player for us his senior year. Olsen will never put up the 12 and 7 while shooting 55 percent from the field that Wash did his senior year. Hell, I'd easily take the senior Washburn ahead of a freshman Poeltl.

A factor I considered in these things is the fact that Washburn was about all we had on that team his senior year. Same with Clyburn's single year. Not saying they weren't good but they got a lot more touches.

Now if we say a soph Washburn over a Jr. Olsen... It is Olsen by a mile. Wash was a disaster his final year with Boylen.

sancho
01-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Now if we say a soph Washburn over a Jr. Olsen... It is Olsen by a mile. Wash was a disaster his final year with Boylen.

I don't think Wash was ever a disaster. He was pretty good. Had a good nose for the ball and enough tools to go get it.

Rocker Ute
01-23-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't think Wash was ever a disaster. He was pretty good. Had a good nose for the ball and enough tools to go get it.

I think fondly of him too, but his first two years he played like he was wearing oven mitts, couldn't rebound to save his life and had a remarkable knack for being out of position. Exceptional loud clapper though.

U-Ute
01-23-2015, 10:15 AM
I think fondly of him too, but his first two years he played like he was wearing oven mitts, couldn't rebound to save his life and had a remarkable knack for being out of position. Exceptional loud clapper though.

Good with waving the towel on the bench too. High enthusiasm. Good wrist and elbow action.

LA Ute
01-23-2015, 10:49 PM
This may not be the right thread but it's too hard to find the right one using Tapatalk. Story about 2016 recruit Zach Collins:

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/2094279-155/utah-basketball-2016-nevada-big-man

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-24-2015, 01:22 AM
This may not be the right thread but it's too hard to find the right one using Tapatalk. Story about 2016 recruit Zach Collins:

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/2094279-155/utah-basketball-2016-nevada-big-man

I read that earlier. I'm not sure why but I was surprised to read that he was a '16 recruit. I just assumed he was a senior this year. I imagine he's a long ways from committing anywhere. Probably wants to wait until next year when he's actually starting for Bishop Gorman.

SoCalPat
01-25-2015, 03:43 PM
A factor I considered in these things is the fact that Washburn was about all we had on that team his senior year. Same with Clyburn's single year. Not saying they weren't good but they got a lot more touches.

I'm gonna assume you meant Olsen as a sophomore, because he's a junior this year and is buried on our bench.

Washburn's sophomore year: Averaged 6.0 PPG and 4.1 RPG, averaging 19 minutes a game. Shot 62 percent from the field, 72 percent from the line. 33 blocked shots. 30 turnovers. Shared time at the 5 with David Foster.

Olsen's sophomore year: Averaged 5.2 PPG and 2.7 RPG, averaging 13.8 minutes per game. Shot 56 percent from the field, 70 percent from the line. 19 blocked shots. 36 turnovers. Shared time at the 5 with Dallin Batshitski.

Also, per conference RPI, Washburn's MWC was 4th, Olsen's Pac-12 was 3rd. A difference, but not enough to say Olsen by a mile over Washburn. If anything, it's the opposite.

justaute
01-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Having watched both play, I'd take Washburn, irrespective of the playing-year.

I'm gonna assume you meant Olsen as a sophomore, because he's a junior this year and is buried on our bench.

Washburn's sophomore year: Averaged 6.0 PPG and 4.1 RPG, averaging 19 minutes a game. Shot 62 percent from the field, 72 percent from the line. 33 blocked shots. 30 turnovers. Shared time at the 5 with David Foster.

Olsen's sophomore year: Averaged 5.2 PPG and 2.7 RPG, averaging 13.8 minutes per game. Shot 56 percent from the field, 70 percent from the line. 19 blocked shots. 36 turnovers. Shared time at the 5 with Dallin Batshitski.

Also, per conference RPI, Washburn's MWC was 4th, Olsen's Pac-12 was 3rd. A difference, but not enough to say Olsen by a mile over Washburn. If anything, it's the opposite.

UtahsMrSports
01-25-2015, 04:39 PM
I read that earlier. I'm not sure why but I was surprised to read that he was a '16 recruit. I just assumed he was a senior this year. I imagine he's a long ways from committing anywhere. Probably wants to wait until next year when he's actually starting for Bishop Gorman.

Thats another sad thing about the modern recruiting landscape. What you do in AAU ball >>>>>>>>> What you do in high school ball, at least to most coaches. In fact, high school basketball can just about be officially considered second tier when it comes to how you are evaluated.

Rocker Ute
01-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Fair enough. Conversely, were Washburn as a Jr on this team today, where would he be? Do you think he'd be ahead of Bach?

sancho
01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Fair enough. Conversely, were Washburn as a Jr on this team today, where would he be? Do you think he'd be ahead of Bach?

Maybe ahead of Reyes at the 4?

justaute
01-25-2015, 05:09 PM
Interesting scenario...IMO, it depends.
- Wash: Much quicker and better foot-work. More developed offensively. Better hand-eye coordination. Not physically imposing.
- Bach: Much more physically developed. Not as quick. Does not possess good hand-eye coordination. More imposing physically.

SoCalPat
01-25-2015, 05:59 PM

Easily. Superior numbers and played for an immeasurably worse team (although the Pac-12 in 2011-12 was the worst the league has ever been). I say he would definitely be on the floor ahead of Poeltl at the end of games because he is a superior FT shooter.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Part of the rebuild has been LK's success at attracting good 3-point shooters and developing an offense that gets them open looks. Utah's is 9th nationally in 2-point shooting right now. When was the last time we were that good from beyond the arc?

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/uofusports/2099497-155/utah-basketball-game-guide-runnin-utes

Rocker Ute
01-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Easily. Superior numbers and played for an immeasurably worse team (although the Pac-12 in 2011-12 was the worst the league has ever been). I say he would definitely be on the floor ahead of Poeltl at the end of games because he is a superior FT shooter.

Well keep in mind that Bach on that team would be about their only offense too, so his numbers would be appreciably better.

Wash was one of the players that I wished had a full career under Kodiak for sure, but he also stood as one of the more frustrating players. He made great strides his senior season, but was a defensive and rebounding liability up to his senior season.

Doesn't matter, I like 'em both. Wash's twitter feed shows he is still a big time Ute, so I'm still a big time fan of Washburn too.

DrumNFeather
01-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Larry gets to .500 at Utah at 58-58, and picks up his 100th career victory. Here's to being above .500 in his Utah career and never looking back!

Rocker Ute
01-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Solid win. That got out of hand quickly. Turned on that technical foul. Another nice win... years of crappy Utah basketball is starting to feel like a distant memory.

DrumNFeather
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Solid win. That got out of hand quickly. Turned on that technical foul. Another nice win... years of crappy Utah basketball is starting to feel like a distant memory.

Isn't it nice?

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
One part of the rebuild is that LK has recruited shooters and given them a system that enables them to score both inside and out. Going into this game we were 9th nationally in 3 point shooting. Was there ever a time in the past when we were that good from beyond the arc?

U-Ute
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM
One part of the rebuild is that LK has recruited shooters and given them a system that enables them to score both inside and out. Going into this game we were 9th nationally in 3 point shooting. Was there ever a time in the past when we were that good from beyond the arc?

Not since I started at the U in '87, which I believe was the first year the 3-point line was introduced (or near that time).

LA Ute
01-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Nice piece in SB Nation:

Utah basketball is writing its own timetable as a Final Four sleeper (http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/1/27/7904369/utah-basketball-delon-wright-pac-12)

SoCalPat
01-28-2015, 07:57 PM
Not since I started at the U in '87, which I believe was the first year the 3-point line was introduced (or near that time).

I think we take for granted how good of a 3-point shooting team we are. Since 1997-98, we are a near-fixture in the top 50 in 3PT%.

Utah's previous best was 5th in the 2006-07 season (Giac's final year, interestingly enough. Actually, not that interesting considering we had two of the school's all-time marksmen on that team in Shaun Green and Johnnie Bryant). Also 9th in 2002-03 (Jacobson, Marc Jackson). Worst was 261st in 2009-10 and 246th the following year (Boylen's last two seasons) and 300th in 2011-12 (5-win season).

Between Southern Utah, BYU, Utah State and Utah, state schools are a fixture in these rankings. I know SUU was No. 1 once, and maybe twice during that time (I didn't take notes on all the schools).

Rocker Ute
01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
I think we take for granted how good of a 3-point shooting team we are. Since 1997-98, we are a near-fixture in the top 50 in 3PT%.

Utah's previous best was 5th in the 2006-07 season (Giac's final year, interestingly enough. Actually, not that interesting considering we had two of the school's all-time marksmen on that team in Shaun Green and Johnnie Bryant). Also 9th in 2002-03 (Jacobson, Marc Jackson). Worst was 261st in 2009-10 and 246th the following year (Boylen's last two seasons) and 300th in 2011-12 (5-win season).

Between Southern Utah, BYU, Utah State and Utah, state schools are a fixture in these rankings. I know SUU was No. 1 once, and maybe twice during that time (I didn't take notes on all the schools).

3-pt shooting was all we had Giac's last year it seemed. I used to see Johnny Bryant around SLC a lot, believe he was somehow associated with the Jazz. Any ideas what he is up to today?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it myself, he is still with the Jazz.

SoCalPat
01-29-2015, 02:39 PM
3-pt shooting was all we had Giac's last year it seemed. I used to see Johnny Bryant around SLC a lot, believe he was somehow associated with the Jazz. Any ideas what he is up to today?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it myself, he is still with the Jazz.

I don't like doggin' on Ray and he had some issues away from hoops that made a separation a very acceptable solution. But damn ... you have a team that shoots the three like that, you should be in the Dance. It's like finishing No. 1 in turnover margin in football and going 4-8. Unacceptable.

LA Ute
03-07-2015, 08:42 AM
Nice NCAA video, aptly titled for this thread:

Larry Krystkowiak: Rebuilding Utah BasketballIn only four seasons, Larry Krystkowiak has taken his Utah basketball program from a six win season to a national championship contender.

March 6, 2015 (3:49)

http://www.ncaa.com/video/basketball-men/2015-03-06/mbk-rebuilding-utah-basketball-utes-larry-krystkowiak

LA Ute
03-09-2015, 06:20 PM
It's unfair to expect Gabe Bealer to be another Delon, but he might add something important next season. A 6'5" guy who can shoot and score at the rim with either hand. Not the stat-stuffer that Delon is, but maybe a special player. He does have a season-ending knee injury to recover from, so we'll see.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2015, 06:39 PM
It's unfair to expect Gabe Bealer to be another Delon, but he might add something important next season. A 6'5" guy who can shoot and score at the rim with either hand. Not the stat-stuffer that Delon is, but maybe a special player. He does have a season-ending knee injury to recover from, so we'll see.

The other guys won't have someone to lean on the way they lean on Delon. I think that this reality will actually help a few guys step up their game. Also, I feel like Ogbe was having a nice Sophmore campaign before injuries really derailed his season. So, if he's back, I think he'll be a key contributor next year.