PDA

View Full Version : Him or Him? Runnin' Utes Edition!

UtahsMrSports
07-12-2013, 10:09 AM
We are in the dead of the offseason, so I thought itd be fun to play this game, and hopefully it turns into some good discussion.

Here is how it works:

I begin by proposing two players. The two players can be anyone. Current player vs Current player. Current vs former, former v former, coach v coach, etc. etc. The more creative the better. The next person to reply quotes me and gives their choice. You can explain your reasoning if you wnat, but not required.

You then leave two players for the next person to choose between. On and on and on.

If you take exception to someones choice, feel free to discuss why!

I'll get us started so you can see how it works.

Nick Jacobson or Travis Spivey?

UtahsMrSports
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM
We are in the dead of the offseason, so I thought itd be fun to play this game, and hopefully it turns into some good discussion.

Here is how it works:

I begin by proposing two players. The two players can be anyone. Current player vs Current player. Current vs former, former v former, coach v coach, etc. etc. The more creative the better. The next person to reply quotes me and gives their choice. You can explain your reasoning if you wnat, but not required.

You then leave two players for the next person to choose between. On and on and on.

If you take exception to someones choice, feel free to discuss why!

I'll get us started so you can see how it works.

Nick Jacobson or Travis Spivey?

Nick!

Alex Jensen or Britton Johnsen?

FountainOfUte
07-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Nick!

Alex Jensen or Britton Johnsen?

Man, that's a toughie. I love AJ, but I'm going to go with the pre-mono Britton.

Urban or Majerus?

UtahsMrSports
07-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Man, that's a toughie. I love AJ, but I'm going to go with the pre-mono Britton.

Urban or Majerus?

Majerus. here for longer, achieved more.

Mitch Smith or Jason Washburn?

UBlender
07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Majerus. here for longer, achieved more.

Mitch Smith or Jason Washburn?

Tough call, but I'll go Washburn. He earned all of the respect in the world in my book with all the crap he put up with and the enthusiasm he had about being a Ute during dark times. Plus, he was superb with my kid at Fan Fest a couple years running. My son still talks about going to see "Jason play at Utah basketball".

My friend (and we were about 10-12 at the time) used to call Mitch Smith the "scrounge" because he always had his shirt untucked and shaggy hair. But I remember dude didn't care about anything except ball.

Carlon Brown or Will Clyburn?

UtahsMrSports
07-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Tough call, but I'll go Washburn. He earned all of the respect in the world in my book with all the crap he put up with and the enthusiasm he had about being a Ute during dark times. Plus, he was superb with my kid at Fan Fest a couple years running. My son still talks about going to see "Jason play at Utah basketball".

My friend (and we were about 10-12 at the time) used to call Mitch Smith the "scrounge" because he always had his shirt untucked and shaggy hair. But I remember dude didn't care about anything except ball.

Carlon Brown or Will Clyburn?

Will. While he was not much of a playmaker for others, at least he didn't tear the team down with his lousy attitude.

Billy the Hill or Jerry Chambers?

LA Ute
07-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Will. While he was not much of a playmaker for others, at least he didn't tear the team down with his lousy attitude.

Jerry Chambers. MVP of the Final Four, !st-round draft pick of the Lakers. I've met him and he's a great guy.

Danny Vranes or Tom Chambers?

U-Ute
07-12-2013, 02:41 PM

McGill. 60 is all we need to know

Tommy Connor or Marc Jackson?

UtahsMrSports
07-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Ill take Chambers and Connor.

Magician Merv, or Mike Newlin?

FountainOfUte
07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Newlin

Walter Watts or Paul Afiaki?

UBlender
07-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Newlin

Walter Watts or Paul Afiaki?

Walter Watts--never had a crazy wife that tried to gun him down.

Ben Caton or Trace Caton?

Scratch
07-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Tommy Connor or Marc Jackson?

Did Connor ever try to destroy the basketball program? No? Then I'll go with Connor. I'll also go with Sluga over Jackson, or UBlender over Jackson.

TribUTE
07-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Walter Watts--never had a crazy wife that tried to gun him down.

Ben Caton or Trace Caton?

Gotta go with Ben.

2004 Alex Smith or 2008 Brian Johnson

U-Ute
07-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Gotta go with Ben.

I bet Brian made a pretty good PG.

SoCalPat
07-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Jerry Chambers. MVP of the Final Four, !st-round draft pick of the Lakers. I've met him and he's a great guy.

Danny Vranes or Tom Chambers?

McGill. Not even close. Your strongest point for Chambers is nullified by the fact that McGill's senior year, Utah was on probation because some Zoob found some dirt on the football program, and the NCAA chose to punish hoops. There was a "get-Utah" vendetta from the day McGill set foot on campus.

Vranes as a collegian (1980 Olympic team), Chambers as a pro (one of three dozen or so players with over 20,000 career points).

Nick Jacobson or Brandon Jessie?

SoCalPat
07-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Gotta go with Ben.

Total blowout, as in 2011 Holy War variety. I love Brian, but Alex was a Heisman finalist in the deepest Heisman field ever. Brian didn't garner a single A-A honor.

SoCalPat
07-12-2013, 11:52 PM
Did Connor ever try to destroy the basketball program? No? Then I'll go with Connor. I'll also go with Sluga over Jackson, or UBlender over Jackson.

<rolls eyes> Yeah, Jackson tried destroying the hoops program so much, he returned after Majerus left. You probably rooted for Kentucky in 2005, too.

Bill Foster or Jerry Pimm?

Jarid in Cedar
07-12-2013, 11:57 PM
<rolls eyes> Yeah, Jackson tried destroying the hoops program so much, he returned after Majerus left. You probably rooted for Kentucky in 2005, too.

Bill Foster or Jerry Pimm?

Tough one, but I will take Pimm.

Josh Grant or Hanno Mottola?

SoCalPat
07-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Grant. Single-greatest shooting season ever by any Utah player, and rates slightly higher in durability. Near-equal pro careers.

Craig Rydalch vs. Trace Caton

Jarid in Cedar
07-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Grant. Single-greatest shooting season ever by any Utah player, and rates slightly higher in durability. Near-equal pro careers.

Craig Rydalch vs. Trace Caton

Rydalch.

Nate Altoff or Larry Cain?

SoCalPat
07-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Rydalch.

Nate Altoff or Larry Cain?

Cain for single-season; Althoff for career.

Cameron Koford vs. Chris Jackson

Jarid in Cedar
07-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Cain for single-season; Althoff for career.

Cameron Koford vs. Chris Jackson

Jackson, but mostly as I remember little about Koford.

Jimmy Soto or Mark Jackson?

UTEopia
07-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Jackson, but mostly as I remember little about Koford.

Jimmy Soto or Mark Jackson?

I'd take Soto.

Buster Matheney or Mike Sojourner
Earl Williams or Luther "Peaches" Lasiter

Both of these are for LA Ute because he is only one old enough to remember these guys.

LA Ute
07-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I'd take Soto.

Buster Matheney or Mike Sojourner
Earl Williams or Luther "Peaches" Lasiter

Both of these are for LA Ute because he is only one old enough to remember these guys.

I'd take Soto too. One of my favorite Utes ever. I was only 8 years old when he played, of course, but I sitll remember him. ;)

I'm biased for Buster because he played while I was an undergrad.

Earl Williams. The last-second shot at Lexington to beat Kentucky gives him a special place in Ute lore.

sancho
07-13-2013, 10:02 AM
I'd take Soto too. One of my favorite Utes ever. I was only 8 years old when he played,m of course, but I sitll remember him. ;)

I'm biased for Buster because he played while I was an undergrad.

Something wrong with this timeline?

Andrew Bogut's outlet pass from the post or Mike Doleac's blind-side pick at halfcourt?

Phil Cullen's corner three or McKay McGrath's floor burns?

Andre Miller's fast break decision making or...or...forget it. Nothing tops that.

UtahsMrSports
07-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Something wrong with this timeline?

Andrew Bogut's outlet pass from the post or Mike Doleac's blind-side pick at halfcourt?

Phil Cullen's corner three or McKay McGrath's floor burns?

Andre Miller's fast break decision making or...or...forget it. Nothing tops that.

Yeah, Andre trumps

Arnie Ferrin or Vern Gardner?