PDA

View Full Version : Schedule

UtahsMrSports
07-22-2013, 09:28 AM
The athletic department has yet to release the official schedule, but it is possible to go through and look at what games are scheduled as of right now.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/calendar/events/2013_201311.html

A lot of games which should be 30+ point blowouts. A few interesting games. I think theyre still working on one more, otherwise this looks like it.

DrumNFeather
07-22-2013, 10:30 AM
That's a good find!

sancho
07-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Here it is all in one place:

http://ryp86.wordpress.com/basketball/schedule/

I see 13 OOC games, 1 team that went to the tournament last year (Boise), 1 team that went to the NIT (Provo), many teams that should be easy wins.

If we finish...

13-0 or 12-1 -> potential tournament team

11-2 -> potential NIT team

worse than 11-2 -> probably not a postseason team

UtahsMrSports
07-22-2013, 12:26 PM

I see 13 OOC games, 1 team that went to the tournament last year (Boise), 1 team that went to the NIT (Provo), many teams that should be easy wins.

If we finish...

I have to agree with this.

jdart
07-22-2013, 02:23 PM
GREAT SEATS ARE STILL AVAILABLE. GET THEM NOW BEFORE THEY ARE GONE.......

I really expected we would see some step up in schedule, but it appears to have stepped down another step. Oh well, they need to win for this to be ok. Anything less than 11-2 is a huge red flag

If we finish...

sancho
07-22-2013, 02:45 PM
GREAT SEATS ARE STILL AVAILABLE. GET THEM NOW BEFORE THEY ARE GONE.......

I really expected we would see some step up in schedule, but it appears to have stepped down another step. Oh well, they need to win for this to be ok. Anything less than 11-2 is a huge red flag

I think they know that some kind of postseason tournament appearance is necessary this year to avoid the hot seat for Krystko. Inflated records built on fluff wins mean less than they did a decade ago, but they still hold some value.

SoCalPat
07-22-2013, 08:47 PM
This schedule is horseshit

Saint Martin's: non-D1 (likely exhibition, which doesn't count anyway)

Evergreen State, non-D1

UC-Davis, RPI 234

Grand Canyon, first year in D1

Lamar, 335

Savannah State, 166

Tulane 178

Boise State, 44

Fresno State, 135

Idaho State, 338

BYU, 63

Texas State, 272

St. Katherine, non-D1

sancho
07-23-2013, 08:04 AM
We need to start a Pac-12/BigEast challenge in hoops. That would stick at least one interesting OOC game on our calendar automatically.

Works great with ACC/Big10, and it's starting up with Big12/SEC.

FountainOfUte
07-23-2013, 12:03 PM
This schedule is horseshit

So then it matches our team, I guess.

Kidding aside, I totally get your disappointment, but our team has not yet proven that they're able to navigate even a weak schedule like this in a couple years or more. I'm hoping this is the year the team takes care of business with opponents like this to prove to LK that they're ready for something a little more substantial in years to come.

Milk before the meat. We're still building this thing. I have hope, but let's see some W's (even against the sisters of the poor; even those have been scarce of late).

UtahsMrSports
07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
schedules been removed from the calendar. Hoping we get an official announcement soon.

SoCalPat
07-23-2013, 02:35 PM
We need to start a Pac-12/BigEast challenge in hoops. That would stick at least one interesting OOC game on our calendar automatically.

Works great with ACC/Big10, and it's starting up with Big12/SEC.

Geographically speaking, there's a good chunk of recruiting crossover with the aforementioned leagues. Not so much with the Pac-12 and Big East. And TV ain't gonna rush to broadcast Arizona State-St. John's. Plus, there's no guarantee Utah would even be part of such a challenge, as the reconfigured Big East only has 10 teams.

sancho
07-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Geographically speaking, there's a good chunk of recruiting crossover with the aforementioned leagues. Not so much with the Pac-12 and Big East. And TV ain't gonna rush to broadcast Arizona State-St. John's. Plus, there's no guarantee Utah would even be part of such a challenge, as the reconfigured Big East only has 10 teams.

TV doesn't rush to broadcast VaTech vs Rutgers, either. I'm sure UCLA/Georgetown could grab some viewers. Arizona/Marquette. Just like the other two conference challenges, there would be some great matchups and some duds. It would improve the Pac-12 schedules as a whole.

What would the conference not like about some exposure on the east coast?

Plus, it's better than the other options - Pac-12/American or Pac-12/nobody.

SoCalPat
07-23-2013, 03:15 PM
TV doesn't rush to broadcast VaTech vs Rutgers, either. I'm sure UCLA/Georgetown could grab some viewers. Arizona/Marquette. Just like the other two conference challenges, there would be some great matchups and some duds. It would improve the Pac-12 schedules as a whole.

What would the conference not like about some exposure on the east coast?

Plus, it's better than the other options - Pac-12/American or Pac-12/nobody.

Hey, if you could guarantee me Utah vs. Creighton (or better), I'm all in.

I just don't see the Big East schools being willing participants. If they're going to travel West, they're going to go to an exempt tournament (Maui, Alaska, etc.) where they can play multiple games against tough competition on TV, or to Vegas or L.A. for a neutral site game. If it ain't a home-and-home with UCLA and Arizona, what Big East AD wouldn't question the benefit of playing any other team in a Challenge series game?

sancho
07-23-2013, 03:59 PM

I just don't see the Big East schools being willing participants. If they're going to travel West, they're going to go to an exempt tournament (Maui, Alaska, etc.) where they can play multiple games against tough competition on TV, or to Vegas or L.A. for a neutral site game. If it ain't a home-and-home with UCLA and Arizona, what Big East AD wouldn't question the benefit of playing any other team in a Challenge series game?

Ok, I will give you a sancho 70% guarantee. I think they generally line teams up in order of finish the previous year. So Utah would be in this year against whoever they decided to call the 10 seed from the BigEast.

I guess you have to remind the BigEast and Pac-12 that all the big boy conferences have challenges. Then you threaten to make a challenge with the American conference and leave the BigEast out. I dunno, maybe it's come up, and everybody vetoed it on travel/lack of interest. If it hasn't, though, it should be brought up at some fat cat AD meeting.

UBlender
07-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Why couldn't the PAC 12 just match up with the Big XII or B1G? Is there a rule somewhere that conferences can only participate in one of these "challenges"? You have something like 12 OCC games, surely teams can find room for two of these matchups. I like the idea of a PAC 12-Big XII matchup due to the exposure in Texas, a place that we could recruit in basketball just as we do in football. On the other hand, it would be cool to have something like a "Rose Bowl Classic" and matchup all of the PAC 12-B1G teams somewhere right around New Years (this would be held at home sites, made for TV, etc).

sancho
08-15-2013, 10:50 AM

Coming back to old suggestion:

Here are the Big10/ACC matchups this year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87352/timesnetworks-for-big-tenacc-challenge

There are 3 must see games in there: Duke/Michigan, UNC/MSU, OSU/Maryland (wait, isn't Maryland in the Big10 now?)

All the games are on some ESPN channel. So yeah, maybe my Pac-12/BigEast dream couldn't create the same buzz.

The matchups would be:

UCLA/Georgetown, Zona/Marquette, Oregon/Creighton, Cal/Butler, CU/Nova, ASU/Providence, Stanford/Xavier, UW/St Johns, USC/Seton Hall, and Utah/DePaul

There's 1-2 must see games in there.

SoCalPat
08-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Coming back to old suggestion:

Here are the Big10/ACC matchups this year:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/87352/timesnetworks-for-big-tenacc-challenge

There are 3 must see games in there: Duke/Michigan, UNC/MSU, OSU/Maryland (wait, isn't Maryland in the Big10 now?)

All the games are on some ESPN channel. So yeah, maybe my Pac-12/BigEast dream couldn't create the same buzz.

The matchups would be:

UCLA/Georgetown, Zona/Marquette, Oregon/Creighton, Cal/Butler, CU/Nova, ASU/Providence, Stanford/Xavier, UW/St Johns, USC/Seton Hall, and Utah/DePaul

There's 1-2 must see games in there.

Oregon-Creighton is must-see for the Dana Altman angle. But that takes you only so far.

I think this underscores the lack of appeal that exists between big state schools and small private (non-football) schools. Yeah, Butler and Xavier are good programs, but they're not Gonzaga.

UTEopia
08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I would like to see the PAC12 Big East lineup much more than a lineup with the Big 12, but this is just me

sancho
08-15-2013, 03:52 PM
Oregon-Creighton is must-see for the Dana Altman angle. But that takes you only so far.

I think this underscores the lack of appeal that exists between big state schools and small private (non-football) schools. Yeah, Butler and Xavier are good programs, but they're not Gonzaga.

I agree with you about most of those matchups. Still, it would give every AD one less game to schedule, and it would ensure us a BigEast matchup for as long as we can stay in the top 10 of our conference. Seems like ADs like to complain about how hard scheduling is.

Maybe travel makes it not worth the effort.

LA Ute
08-16-2013, 03:28 PM
FWIW, a friend e-mails me that he "happened upon a possible basketball schedule at http://ryp86.wordpress.com/basketball/schedule/. I understand the school accidentally released the dates on its website just long enough for that site to capture them down. We'll see."

DATE
OPPONENT

Fri, Nov 1
Saint Martins (Exhibition)

Fri, Nov 8
The Evergreen State College

Fri, Nov 15
UC Davis

Thu, Nov 21
Grand Canyon (Global Sports Showcase)

Fri, Nov 22
Lamar (Global Sports Showcase)

Sat, Nov 23
Savannah State (Global Sports Showcase)

Sat, Nov 30
at Tulane

Tue, Dec 3
at Boise State

Sat, Dec 7
Fresno State

Tue, Dec 10
Idaho State

Sat, Dec 14
BYU

Sat, Dec 21
Texas State

Sat, Dec 28
Saint Katherine College

Thu, Jan 2
Oregon

Sat, Jan 4
Oregon State

Thu, Jan 9
at Washington State

Sat, Jan 11
at Washington

Thu, Jan 16
USC

Sat, Jan 18
UCLA

Thu, Jan 23
at Arizona State

Sat, Jan 25
at Arizona

Sat, Feb 1
at Colorado

Thu, Feb 6
Washington

Sat, Feb 8
Washington State

Thu, Feb 13
at UCLA

Sat, Feb 15
at USC

Thu, Feb 20
Arizona

Sat, Feb 22
Arizona State

Sat, Mar 1
Colorado

Thu, Mar 6
at Stanford

Sat, Mar 8
at California

March 12-15
Pac-12 Tournament

I'm not sure what the Global Sports Showcase is. Probably a tournament of some kind.

SoCalPat
08-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Hey, that's great LA. Not quite a month behind in keeping up with the thread. Nice reverse thread-jack.

:D

LA Ute
08-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Hey, that's great LA. Not quite a month behind in keeping up with the thread. Nice reverse thread-jack.

:D

You got me. I thought I had something new.

UTEopia
08-19-2013, 08:10 PM
I love the Thursday/Saturday for conference games. Those work great for me. I just hope Saturday games are at night.

SeattleUte
08-20-2013, 03:12 PM
I like the schedule. The Pac 12 start is much more doeable. We have a decent chance of being 20-0 seven games into the Pac 12.

Senioritis
08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
I like the schedule. The Pac 12 start is much more doeable. We have a decent chance of being 20-0 seven games into the Pac 12.

LOL!

Delon Wright has a decent chance of averaging 35 ppg.

SoCalPat
08-20-2013, 04:45 PM
LOL!

Delon Wright has a decent chance of averaging 35 ppg.

OK, let's humor SU for a minute.

Maybe there is a decent chance we start 20-0. But those first 20 games would be so weak (which includes an exhibition that doesn't count, two non-D1s that don't count toward RPI, and only five true road games), there would be an equally decent chance of us closing the season 2-10 against the rest of the schedule (I penciled in wins with a split of the UW-WSU homestand, beating ASU at home and losing in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament).

That would make us 22-10 (19-10 vs. D1), 9-10 in league play. I strongly doubt we get into the Dance with that record; in fact, I guarantee we wouldn't. Case study: ASU went 21-12, 10-10 in league play (splitting in Vegas), finished with an RPI of 89 and went to the NIT.

I'll take the NIT this year, but if we start 20-0, we'd better close the deal.

Another interesting hypothetical: How many wins would we need to start the season before breaking into the polls?

FountainOfUte
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Another interesting hypothetical: How many wins would we need to start the season before breaking into the polls?

I'm going to say 14. If I'm doing my math right, what I intend to say is that we'd have to be undefeated through Oregon State.

There are only three games in our pre-season that, if lost, would not be absolute killers to our RPI: BSU, BYU, and Fresno St. If we lost just one of those, then I think we'd have to get by Washington at about 15-1 to crack the polls. Anything less than that and I don't see it happening.

SeattleUte
08-22-2013, 01:03 PM
OK, let's humor SU for a minute.

Maybe there is a decent chance we start 20-0. But those first 20 games would be so weak (which includes an exhibition that doesn't count, two non-D1s that don't count toward RPI, and only five true road games), there would be an equally decent chance of us closing the season 2-10 against the rest of the schedule (I penciled in wins with a split of the UW-WSU homestand, beating ASU at home and losing in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament).

That would make us 22-10 (19-10 vs. D1), 9-10 in league play. I strongly doubt we get into the Dance with that record; in fact, I guarantee we wouldn't. Case study: ASU went 21-12, 10-10 in league play (splitting in Vegas), finished with an RPI of 89 and went to the NIT.

I'll take the NIT this year, but if we start 20-0, we'd better close the deal.

I agree. We'd be a 20-0 bubble team. Thank you for seeing it's realistic. Fools mock but they shall mourn.

Senioritis
08-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I agree. We'd be a 20-0 bubble team. Thank you for seeing it's realistic. Fools mock but they shall mourn.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from quoting the Book of Mormon in a sports-related context. It makes me uncomfortable.

Applejack
08-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Do you think I'll be able to get individual tickets for the Saint Katherine College game or should I buy season tickets just to be safe?

U-Ute
08-25-2013, 09:02 AM
I would appreciate it if you would refrain from quoting the Book of Mormon in a sports-related context. It makes me uncomfortable.

I need some sense of scale here: more or less uncomfortable than following Marcroft into the men's room?

LA Ute
08-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Do you think I'll be able to get individual tickets for the Saint Katherine College game or should I buy season tickets just to be safe?

I usually go to whatever game is scheduled during the Christmas break, because we are usually in town. Regardless of opponent, for years now the Huntsman has been pretty empty for that game. Gone are the days when Utah played teams like Wake Forest on New Year's Eve. In other words, you'll pretty much be able to sit wherever you want.

But I think you knew that. ;)

U-Ute
09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Official now. 13 of our first 14 games, not counting the exhibition game, are at home.

Somewhere, Dave Bliss is laughing.

U-Ute
09-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Is it my imagination, or does out OOC schedule sound like a list of Kelly Kapowski's safety schools?

LA Ute
09-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Is it my imagination, or does out OOC schedule sound like a list of Kelly Kapowski's safety schools?

It's not your imagination.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

SoCalPat
09-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Official now. 13 of our first 14 games, not counting the exhibition game, are at home.

Somewhere, Dave Bliss is laughing.

I think you miscounted. We're going to Boise and Tulane in the non-con.

U-Ute
09-05-2013, 06:21 AM
The schedule that was posted Tuesday doesn't show a Tulane game...

SoCalPat
09-05-2013, 07:13 PM
The schedule that was posted Tuesday doesn't show a Tulane game...

Good. The word when Tulane was posted earlier was that it was a 2-for-1, but with the road game first. Now we've got one less crap team with a multi-year obligation toward.

Next year's schedule better see the same upward trajectory as our recruiting. This schedule is pure shit.

sancho
09-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Has this been posted yet?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/88320/the-10-worst-nonconference-schedules-2

I agree that the schedule is weak. I disagree with him about making the tournament. For Utah, it is all about the Pac-12. If do well in conference play, we make the tournament. If not, we don't. The nonconference schedule matters much less for us than it does for a mid-major.

SoCalPat
09-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Has this been posted yet?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/88320/the-10-worst-nonconference-schedules-2

I agree that the schedule is weak. I disagree with him about making the tournament. For Utah, it is all about the Pac-12. If do well in conference play, we make the tournament. If not, we don't. The nonconference schedule matters much less for us than it does for a mid-major.

I disagree strongly. There are all kinds of Power 6 conference schools who miss on the tournament because of a weak non-conference SOS.

If we had a top 10 non-con SOS, went 7-5 and then went 10-8 in league play with a win in Vegas, that would make us 18-13. You see schools with that record making the tournament quite frequently. We will not make the dance going 11-1/10-8/1 in Vegas for 22-10.

The bottom line is that your competition for those last 4-6 NCAA spots is fierce, and if the W-L is identical, conference finish isn't the first thing people look at. It's who you played in the non-con and who you beat in the non-con. You simply cannot count on the committee to reward you for 2-3 conference wins alone.

Jarid in Cedar
09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I agree with SCP. When I saw this schedule, my first thought was that we are playing for an NIT bid this year. My second thought was that the only way to the NCAA's is to win the conference(either regular season or tournament).

sancho
09-13-2013, 08:51 AM
I disagree strongly. There are all kinds of Power 6 conference schools who miss on the tournament because of a weak non-conference SOS.

If we had a top 10 non-con SOS, went 7-5 and then went 10-8 in league play with a win in Vegas, that would make us 18-13. You see schools with that record making the tournament quite frequently. We will not make the dance going 11-1/10-8/1 in Vegas for 22-10.

The bottom line is that your competition for those last 4-6 NCAA spots is fierce, and if the W-L is identical, conference finish isn't the first thing people look at. It's who you played in the non-con and who you beat in the non-con. You simply cannot count on the committee to reward you for 2-3 conference wins alone.

The point is, regardless of the non-con schedule, we have a chance to build an NCAA resume because of the conference we play in.

Look your scenario - a top 10 OOC schedule with a 7-5 record. If we could go 7-5 against a top 10 OOC conference schedule, we could go 14-4 vs the Pac-12.

If we are good enough to get in, we will have a chance to build that resume. If we are good enough to get in, we will clean up this weak preseason schedule, it will not count much for us, it will not count much against us, and then we will get our quality wins in conference play.

It's the inverse of BYU's situation. If they are good enough to get in, they will prove it during the preseason, then clean up on WCC competition which will not count much for or against.

sancho
09-13-2013, 08:57 AM
only way to the NCAA's is to win the conference(either regular season or tournament).

Really? If we go unbeaten vs our weak non-con schedule and then finish 3rd in the Pac-12 with a 13-5 record, you really think we are left out? We would have 4-5 quality wins and no bad losses.

If we clean up on this weak schedule and then finish top 4-5 in the Pac-12, we are in. And top 4-5 in conference is more or less what it is always going to take, regardless of the non-con schedule. A great non-con run can make up for some sins in conference play, but our schedule does not kill our chances altogether.

LA Ute
09-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Obviously LK wants to focus on pre-season wins. I'm sure someone will ask him about that on the record and it'll be interesting to see his response. I personally don't know how I feel about it yet.

concerned
09-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Really? If we go unbeaten vs our weak non-con schedule and then finish 3rd in the Pac-12 with a 13-5 record, you really think we are left out? We would have 4-5 quality wins and no bad losses.

If we clean up on this weak schedule and then finish top 4-5 in the Pac-12, we are in. And top 4-5 in conference is more or less what it is always going to take, regardless of the non-con schedule. A great non-con run can make up for some sins in conference play, but our schedule does not kill our chances altogether.

We would not necessarily be in over a team that finishes behind us in conference, but has better out of conference wins and SOS. We will need some road wins against top conference opponents if we finish 4 or 5 in conference.

Rocker Ute
09-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Obviously LK wants to focus on pre-season wins. I'm sure someone will ask him about that on the record and it'll be interesting to see his response. I personally don't know how I feel about it yet.

FWIW at a Alumni Association Speaker Series event last year that LK spoke at this question came up. Of course this was addressing last year, but he essentially acknowledged the weak preseason and said that the team needed to learn what it was like to win, get opportunity to gel and learn the schemes (which was probably far more important last year than this year). He then mentioned that being in the PAC12 brought the SOS already and that there wasn't a big need to try and pad those numbers like perhaps other conferences (he referenced Big Sky and MWC - although I think the MWC has been a pretty damn good basketball conference at least on the top end).

So, I might agree with him on this for last year and this, but I really hope that this doesn't become the trend, there is certainly a point in diminishing returns as far as overall SOS goes, but also in prep for conference play... so come on Krystko, lets start scheduling Cardinal Stritch or better.

sancho
09-13-2013, 11:40 AM
We will need some road wins against top conference opponents if we finish 4 or 5 in conference.

For sure. You have to have quality wins to get in. It doesn't matter all that much when and where you get them. Our schedule gives us a shot, but nobody's ever gonna just give us a bid.

FountainOfUte
09-13-2013, 03:17 PM
The point is, regardless of the non-con schedule, we have a chance to build an NCAA resume because of the conference we play in.

Look your scenario - a top 10 OOC schedule with a 7-5 record. If we could go 7-5 against a top 10 OOC conference schedule, we could go 14-4 vs the Pac-12.

If we are good enough to get in, we will have a chance to build that resume. If we are good enough to get in, we will clean up this weak preseason schedule, it will not count much for us, it will not count much against us, and then we will get our quality wins in conference play.

It's the inverse of BYU's situation. If they are good enough to get in, they will prove it during the preseason, then clean up on WCC competition which will not count much for or against.

I agree.

Don't get me wrong: this upcoming pre-season schedule stinks to high heaven. I hope and expect it will look better in coming years. But some of the moaning about this pre-season schedule sounds to me like it's still coming from a MWC mentality.

We're in the PAC-12 now. No matter what our pre-season is, we'll have a yearly slate of 18 good games on the back half. Every single year. By that standard alone, our schedule will never truly suck. Even this year we'll have more than enough chances to show a committee that we can win difficult games and beat good teams.

The reality is that we may successfully make our way through our creampuff pre-season but probably show the world in conference that we couldn't have done much with a tougher schedule anyway. I expect to do better in conference than last year, but I don't think we're going to set the world on fire. So the hand wringing about this year's schedule is wasted energy, IMO. The chances that we'll find ourselves with a team good enough to be Tourney bound but a schedule that keeps us out are very, very small. Like, VERY small.

SeattleUte
09-14-2013, 04:39 PM
I agree.

Don't get me wrong: this upcoming pre-season schedule stinks to high heaven. I hope and expect it will look better in coming years. But some of the moaning about this pre-season schedule sounds to me like it's still coming from a MWC mentality.

We're in the PAC-12 now. No matter what our pre-season is, we'll have a yearly slate of 18 good games on the back half. Every single year. By that standard alone, our schedule will never truly suck. Even this year we'll have more than enough chances to show a committee that we can win difficult games and beat good teams.

The reality is that we may successfully make our way through our creampuff pre-season but probably show the world in conference that we couldn't have done much with a tougher schedule anyway. I expect to do better in conference than last year, but I don't think we're going to set the world on fire. So the hand wringing about this year's schedule is wasted energy, IMO. The chances that we'll find ourselves with a team good enough to be Tourney bound but a schedule that keeps us out are very, very small. Like, VERY small.

The year before last Washington won the conference outright and didn't get an NCAA bid.

UTEopia
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
We frequently talk about scheduling for success in football, but what would the ideal non-conference schedule be for basketball. You get 12 non-conference games. To me, the ideal would be 9 home games and 3 away games.

(2) alternating home/home with other BCS conference teams or teams like UNLV, SDSU, UNM and Gonzaga
(2) alternating home/home with BYU and USU
(2) alternating home/home lower level team from Conf. USA or similar school
Home games against:
Dixie or Westminster
WSU or equivalent
SUU or equivalent
lower level MWC
two others of what ever level

SoCalPat
11-09-2013, 09:59 PM
We frequently talk about scheduling for success in football, but what would the ideal non-conference schedule be for basketball. You get 12 non-conference games. To me, the ideal would be 9 home games and 3 away games.

(2) alternating home/home with other BCS conference teams or teams like UNLV, SDSU, UNM and Gonzaga
(2) alternating home/home with BYU and USU
(2) alternating home/home lower level team from Conf. USA or similar school
Home games against:
Dixie or Westminster
WSU or equivalent
SUU or equivalent
lower level MWC
two others of what ever level

Whatever gets you on national TV as much as possible. Ideally, you get 6 cupcakes (all at home) and split the other 6 against name programs from power conferences. You'll take 3 of those in some exempt tournament, the other 3 split A-H-N.

You wanna see a schedule? Take a look at what Kansas does.

UTEopia
11-11-2013, 07:41 PM
You wanna see a schedule? Take a look at what Kansas does.

That is an impressive schedule. If we take that, can we also take their players?

SoCalPat
11-11-2013, 08:40 PM
That is an impressive schedule. If we take that, can we also take their players?

They've got two kids I saw plenty of in HS -- Conner Frankamp and Perry Ellis. In fact, Frankamp played for Wichita North, which most people in the area know as being the prep alma mater of Barry Sanders, but their mascot is the Redskins. In fact, their logo is the D&F, only with the letter 'N' in the circle instead of a 'U'. But when Frankamp was a HS freshman, kid already had an NBA jump shot. His issue will always be defending bigger players.

UTEopia
11-22-2013, 04:59 PM
There is a recent article from the Trib indicating that Hill is interested in a tournament at the Energy Solutions Arena with Utah, BYU, USU and Weber. It doesn't have many details, but I can see it being a tourney where Utah and BYU play both USU and Weber thereby eliminating the need to play them home/home. Apparently the USU AD wants to get home/home with Utes and BYU and doesn't sound that interested if it eliminates that option and I can only see it happening if you do away with the home/home with USU and Weber. With a 12 pre-conference schedule, I could see the Utes giving up a couple of road games to do this, but not a couple of home games. I think you still want 4 home cupcakes, 2 home games you should win 90% of the time and 3 quality games. I would include BYU and USU as quality opponents. That leaves you 3 road games. I guess you could take 1 road game and 1 home game to have the tourney.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57158049-89/state-utah-hill-tournament.html.csp

Diehard Ute
11-22-2013, 06:34 PM
I think the USU AD is lost if he really thinks he's going to get a home and home

It's just not realistic. Imagine if every in state school asked for that...

I think it's a good idea by Hill, but I fully expect the other schools to decline and claim it's Utah's fault we don't play them.

(The article also mentions we will not play at WSU anymore)

Mormon Red Death
11-22-2013, 07:16 PM
it would be a lot of fun. Personally I think we should be doing this with the MWC. Every year play wyo, csu and bozo st in the hazmat.

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I think the USU AD is lost if he really thinks he's going to get a home and home

It's just not realistic. Imagine if every in state school asked for that...

I think it's a good idea by Hill, but I fully expect the other schools to decline and claim it's Utah's fault we don't play them.

(The article also mentions we will not play at WSU anymore)

My guess is that Hill put this out to the news media so that no one could say he's running away from playing the in-state schools. The USU AD wouldn't be disagreeing publicly if the two sides were really close to an agreement.

Diehard Ute
11-22-2013, 07:55 PM
My guess is that Hill put this out to the news media so that no one could say he's running away from playing the in-state schools. The USU AD wouldn't be disagreeing publicly if the two sides were really close to an agreement.

I'm sure USU is hoping to pressure the U by whatever means necessary.

I'm still waiting for the legislature to get involved again.

GarthUte
11-22-2013, 08:04 PM
There is a recent article from the Trib indicating that Hill is interested in a tournament at the Energy Solutions Arena with Utah, BYU, USU and Weber. It doesn't have many details, but I can see it being a tourney where Utah and BYU play both USU and Weber thereby eliminating the need to play them home/home. Apparently the USU AD wants to get home/home with Utes and BYU and doesn't sound that interested if it eliminates that option and I can only see it happening if you do away with the home/home with USU and Weber. With a 12 pre-conference schedule, I could see the Utes giving up a couple of road games to do this, but not a couple of home games. I think you still want 4 home cupcakes, 2 home games you should win 90% of the time and 3 quality games. I would include BYU and USU as quality opponents. That leaves you 3 road games. I guess you could take 1 road game and 1 home game to have the tourney.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/57158049-89/state-utah-hill-tournament.html.csp

I remember back in the 70s/80s when Utah, USU, Weber and BYU all played home and homes with each other each season. Those were good times and some great games.

LA Ute
11-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I remember back in the 70s/80s when Utah, USU, Weber and BYU all played home and homes with each other each season. Those were good times and some great games.

Yes, they were. One nice thing about it was that if your team lost the first game you had a shot at revenge that same season, usually just a few weeks (or sometimes days) later.