Thread: Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

I had the pleasure of spending a week in Alaska with my two brothers and our dad.

We stayed in Soldotna at the B&B lodge.

First day was spent canoeing

uploadfromtaptalk1376372539531.jpg

We caught a few rainbows, but strangely the guide only had one spinner for each of us

Day 2 was salt water fishing from Homer. If you ever go, Mike Mann is considered one of the best captains for private charter.

Halibut and Silver salmon were on the docket. We landed a full limit of halibut in about 45 minutes

uploadfromtaptalk1376372910212.jpg

Next was a flyout to Big River Lake. Silvers were again the flavor of the day

uploadfromtaptalk1376373037871.jpg

This was probably my favorite day.

The last two days were spent on the rivers. The Kenai was at flood stage, which made fishing quite difficult.

We caught a few silvers and some big rainbows (5-8 lbs). No pics on my phone, but I will add some to the thread when i get them from my brothers and dad. The highlight though was hooking a 45-50 lb King Salmon and getting it to the boat with 20 lb tackle. The King season was closed so, he was returned to the river My dad also hooked a king that did a full backflip out of the water, which broke his line, but the sight of that huge fish flipping in the air will be forever ingrained in my memory.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 08-14-2013 at 09:34 PM.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Awesome trip. I am jealous. Fishing is great but i am sure that just spending time with your dad and brothers made the trip.

Trip of a lifetime! I've been there many times but not for a long time. I miss it.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

My dad, brother, uncle, and cousin flew up there about 18 yrs ago to go fishing with my uncle's BIL. They went fishing on the river with the grizzlies, and went crabbing and halibut fishing on the BIL's boat (he is a commercial fisherman) They brought home a few hundred pounds of salmon, halibut, crabs, and a lifetime worth of memories.

All these years later they still talk about the trip.

Thanks for sharing the pics and stories, Jarid.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Trip of a lifetime! I've been there many times but not for a long time. I miss it.
    I was planning the next trip on the flight home. I hope that we won't wait 30 years to go back.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide