Thread: Auto insurance...

Auto insurance...

It's close to renewing and I'm thinking about switching companies. I've been with State farm for the last 3 years or so and while I'm happy with it, I did a bit of looking at quotes and learned that I can go with Allstate or American Family for less. The difference isn't much - about $100 every 6 months - but I've never been covered by either of these companies. Does anyone here have auto insurance from either of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Also, for those who have been there and done that with a missionary, what did you do while the missionary was out in the field? My son doesn't leave until Oct. so he'll definitely be included until then, but did you drop your missionary while he was out - in this case, there would be a very significant saving with every quote I looked at - or did you include him/her the entire 2 years?

TIA
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

I have had All State before. Never had to deal with claims dept, etc, so not much help here. The agent was always helpful with any changes, etc.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Allstate dropped me when I got a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, so won't do business with them any more out of principle. Of the major companies, I'm only able to be insured with Farmers or State Farm. Currently have State Farm and they haven't hassled me yet about claims, so will stay loyal them.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Is there a particular reason to keep him on if he is gone for two years? Does the church recommend that you keep auto Insurance on your kid like it does for health insurance? I would drop him like a hot potato.

I know you're all dying for an update, so here it is:

I ended up calling the rep from State Farm and told him that if he would give me a better deal than what Allstate and American Family had quoted, I'd stay with him. So I took a copy of the quotes into him and he immediately said he'd make it work and even bumped up liability coverage across the board for me.

As for my son, in the deal the guy gave me, it included him until he leaves in Oct. then he won't be covered. Then when it's time to renew in 6 months, the premium goes down again because it will just be my wife and I.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I know you're all dying for an update, so here it is:

I ended up calling the rep from State Farm and told him that if he would give me a better deal than what Allstate and American Family had quoted, I'd stay with him. So I took a copy of the quotes into him and he immediately said he'd make it work and even bumped up liability coverage across the board for me.

As for my son, in the deal the guy gave me, it included him until he leaves in Oct. then he won't be covered. Then when it's time to renew in 6 months, the premium goes down again because it will just be my wife and I.
    As someone who sold insurance for a time, my opinion of State Farm is neither here nor there. I never found their rates to be super competitive, I think most of their customers are 'legacy customers' if you will and pay more than they should because they don't shop around. I found the best insurance companies to be (in terms of rates, I can't really speak for claims): Bear River, Am Fam, Geico. Keep in mind this may have changed since it's been 5 years.

I'm concerned that he could've saved you that money the entire time but didn't decide to let you know that until you threatened to leave.

When I was doing insurance our rates were our rates, the only way I could lower your premium was to drop your limits or higher your deductibles...or do something shady like apply discounts you weren't eligible for and risk being fired. Why does he have any control in what he can charge you? How does he have the authority to just change your premium like that?

Quote Originally Posted by utebehindenemylines View Post
    As someone who sold insurance for a time, my opinion of State Farm is neither here nor there. I never found their rates to be super competitive, I think most of their customers are 'legacy customers' if you will and pay more than they should because they don't shop around. I found the best insurance companies to be (in terms of rates, I can't really speak for claims): Bear River, Am Fam, Geico. Keep in mind this may have changed since it's been 5 years.

I'm concerned that he could've saved you that money the entire time but didn't decide to let you know that until you threatened to leave.

When I was doing insurance our rates were our rates, the only way I could lower your premium was to drop your limits or higher your deductibles...or do something shady like apply discounts you weren't eligible for and risk being fired. Why does he have any control in what he can charge you? How does he have the authority to just change your premium like that?
    Those are some good questions. My in-laws have been with him for decades and he's who the family business has been with forever as well. Are there agents who have been in business so long that they get a bit more leeway than others?

If there is a problem, I think I've got my bases covered because I told him that I needed everything he offered in writing and got it.

Any recommendations for insurance agents (home) around the university/foothill/sugarhouse/downtown area? Prefer Farmers, State Farm and Independent.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Any recommendations for insurance agents (home) around the university/foothill/sugarhouse/downtown area? Prefer Farmers, State Farm and Independent.
    Wayne Eckman is a State Farm agent in Bountiful. He's a bit out of the area, but I know he is a good, honest person.

My brother-in-law is an American Family agent in Woods Cross. We have our home and auto through him, and are pretty happy. His assistant is usually who we work with and she is fantastic. Not exactly what you are looking for, but it's all I've got.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Ken Evanson; 3900 South below Highland Dr. Ute fan.