Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: as difficult as it is for us to stomach, the PAC-12 is better when USC is good ...

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything, but I would say that before we can talk about keeping pace, we have to catch up. The south power rankings right now (power rankings in terms of perception?):

1) USC
    2) UCLA
    3) ASU
    4) Zona
    5) Utah
    6) CU

We have to catch up a little. Right now, we worry about the USC, Stanford, Oregon games, but really it's the Arizona teams that should have a target on their back for us.

If you are ranking the teams this year, I can't argue. But if you are viewing things through a 10-15 year prism, we are miles ahead of Arizona.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    If you are ranking the teams this year, I can't argue. But if you are viewing things through a 10-15 year prism, we are miles ahead of Arizona.
    What if you are ranking since the start of the Pac-12?

Or what if you are ranking based on public/media expectations over the next few years?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What if you are ranking since the start of the Pac-12?

Or what if you are ranking based on public/media expectations over the next few years?

For the first 2 years of the Pac-12, I would go:

1. USC
    2. UCLA
    3. ASU
    4. Utah
    5. Arizona
    6. Colorado

We are 13-12 and 7-11 in conference. Arizona is 12-13 and 6-12 in conference. 1-1 head to head with each team winning on the road. If the top 3 don't change, then the winner of the Utah-Arizona game this year will have the edge in perception/expectations moving forward.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

FWIW, from the USC newsletter that I get:

Haden's outlook for the 2013 football season...

If you told me all 67 of our currently healthy and eligible scholarship guys will remain healthy, we could have a really good season. Injuries will happen, as they do in football, so depth is going to be the biggest question for us. I am optimistic though. I think our defense is really going to be a lot better from what I have seen. When I evaluated last season, everyone talks about offensive issues, but it was really defense. We lost games scoring 51 and 36 points. New defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast has a different style, and with an influx of impact freshman on defense, I expect us to improve on that side of the ball.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    FWIW, from the USC newsletter that I get:
    It works out alright for us, but relative to other schools, USC really got hosed on their sanctions.