Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: The path for homosexuals in LDS theology

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I used the term 'character flaw' but Ed Smart's issues go far beyond character flaws, I was trying, poorly, to be a bit polite. Not my business to publish them here for obvious reasons and I only know a small portion of it - I'll just say that when people who deal with the scum of the earth have to excuse themselves from a church meeting he is attending it is worth noting. There is nothing noble or courageous about Ed Smart, regardless of his recent announcement. So my heart goes out to his ex-wife and his children in all of this and beyond. My ultimate point is if there is hope of hanging a hat on him as a 'good guy' it would be sorely mistaken.
    I'm not sure I would characterize Smart as noble or courageous, but I'm not sure his conduct eliminates him from being a "good guy" whatever that is. If we are all judged by our worst conduct, none of us can probably be characterized as good guys. I know I cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm not sure I would characterize Smart as noble or courageous, but I'm not sure his conduct eliminates him from being a "good guy" whatever that is. If we are all judged by our worst conduct, none of us can probably be characterized as good guys. I know I cannot.
    Great point. At different times, we all have devils and angels within us. We strive to let the angels predominate, and minimize or eliminate our less appealing thoughts & behaviors.

This is all done within a social context, where we take (and give) ques on what is good, what constitutes admirable - or at least earnestly benign - behavior.

I value and accept both Rocker's and LA's observations, knowing they're a bigger part of that mosaic than I know, certainly.

Did Smart befriend and try to help the homeless Mitchell, knowing his own demons put him closer to that sphere of "unrighteousness" than he'd want known? Was he trying to outrun his own demons?

Life is complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Great point. At different times, we all have devils and angels within us. We strive to let the angels predominate, and minimize or eliminate our less appealing thoughts & behaviors.

This is all done within a social context, where we take (and give) ques on what is good, what constitutes admirable - or at least earnestly benign - behavior.

I value and accept both Rocker's and LA's observations, knowing they're a bigger part of that mosaic than I know, certainly.

Did Smart befriend and try to help the homeless Mitchell, knowing his own demons put him closer to that sphere of "unrighteousness" than he'd want known? Was he trying to outrun his own demons?

Life is complicated.
    No one befriended Mitchell. Lois and the kids saw him asking for work outside crossroads mall. She gave him Ed’s number and Mitchell worked on the house once, then never showed up again except to get his money for the one day of work.

(I was at a closed training, all vetted people, where Elizabeth spoke and took questions for an hour, it’s was interesting to get a very candid look at what she experienced and her take on many things)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro