Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: The path for homosexuals in LDS theology

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    The economic pressure on large segments of our population is gruesome. Hence, Trump. Hence, Bernie. Hence, "I don't care if Trump gives Putin all the nuclear codes lets him sleep with Melania, BRING BACK MY COAL MINING JOB!"

The opiod epidemic is scary as hell.
    Those are all substantial contributing factors. As is a lack of acceptance of LGBT individuals. But each of those factors, and isolating discrimination as a main culprit do not address the single biggest factor that causes any person to take their own life: mental illness.

It's common for advocates to suggest arguments against gender fluidity etc. are binary. The problem is, they often do so making equally binary arguments of their own. The hard truth is, the numbers suggest that even if all discrimination suddenly stopped (which is a goal worth striving for). Large numbers of LGBT individuals would still take their own life. Just as large numbers of people would still take their life, even if all the coal mining jobs came back. The heart of the problem is a lack of understanding and access to help, in dealing with debilitating mental health issues.
    Last edited by tooblue; 07-20-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Those are all substantial contributing factors. As is a lack of acceptance of LGBT individuals. But each of those factors, and isolating discrimination as a main culprit do not address the single biggest factor that causes any person to take their own life: mental illness.

It's common for advocates to suggest arguments against gender fluidity etc. are binary. The problem is, they often do so making equally binary arguments of their own. The hard truth is, the numbers suggest that even if all discrimination suddenly stopped (which is a goal worth striving for). Large numbers of LGBT individuals would still take their own life. Just as large numbers of people would still take their life, even if all the coal mining jobs came back. The heart of the problem is a lack of understanding and access to help, in dealing with debilitating mental health issues.
    Prevalence Of Mental Disorders May Be Higher Than Previously Thought:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4568843.html

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Prevalence Of Mental Disorders May Be Higher Than Previously Thought:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4568843.html
    '
    Aren't we all a little mentally ill?

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    '
    Yes we are. That is why it is irresponsible to simply blame the victim for his own suicide.

"He did it because he was broken" or "He wasn't right in the head..."
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 07-20-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Yes we are. That is why it is irresponsible to simply blame the victim for his own suicide.

"He did it because he was broken" or "He wasn't right in the head..."
    Not sure I understand your logic? No one is simply blaming anyone. Rather, that's the problem. It is unfortunate that there are persons who insist, despite the overwhelming evidence, that suicide is exclusively the consequence of bullying in all it's various forms, or due solely to an individual having to suffer through dire economic circumstances. I truly believe every person will deal with a mental health issue, in some form or another, during their life-time. Bullying, a lack of compassion and kindness, poverty and desperation, occurring at an inopportune time, could certainly push someone over the edge. However, legitimate and significant mental health challenges are what put that person in proximity to the edge in the first place. It is irresponsible to suggest otherwise.
    Last edited by tooblue; 07-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    '
    Well, speaking as the black sheep—absolutely.

This last Sunday, one of our youth speakers was a young woman wearing a white button down and a tie. I was ready for some fireworks, but turns out I was over-reacting. People around me probably wondered why I was recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Religious liberty and fairness for all:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...s-for-all.html
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Imagine Dragons take a shot at bringing religion and LGBTQ together.....

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45234130&nid=148
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I'm having a really hard time with the righteous indignation that some are directing at Trump's failure to stand up to racists right now.

When it became socially unacceptable to be blatantly racist and oppressive, the rhetoric shifted to claiming reverse discrimination and protecting whites from persecution. But it was never about pride or heritage or protection against reverse discrimination. It was just the same old racism.

In the course of 10-15 years we've seen the shift from it being socially acceptable to hate and oppress gays to claiming reverse discrimination of religion and oppression of religious freedom by gays. And in the case of the LDS church we're talking about active institutional racial discrimination in our lifetime (for many of us) and active and CONTINUED institutional discrimination against gays in our lifetime.

i just don't see how in a complete lack of self-awareness, some can denounce the alt-right race rhetoric while simultaneously using the exact same rhetorical strategies to continue the pursuit of an anti-gay agenda. We live in a very narrow window of time where people can still talk about these issues like they're different, but thankfully that window is closing.

LDS Church issues statement of support for Imagine Dragons LGBTQ concert.....

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ert-event.html
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.