Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Was Mitt Romney Right About Everything?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm just using political science parlance, which is different from what you are using. "Bold" does not mean "liberal."

I thought about the FDR comparison, but FDR was a president who wanted a strong American role in the world. Perhaps that was because WWII forced him that direction, but he jumped into the role with alacrity and skill. (Whether his decisions at Yalta, etc., were right will be debated forever.) Obama so far has been a president whose actions are consistent with wanting a lesser American role in the world. I am not saying that as a criticism, even though I strongly dislike his foreign policy; I'm just trying to describe him.
    LA, democrats favored entering WWII, republicans were isolationists who obstructed Roosevelt's desire to join in the fight against fascism -- until Pearl Harbor. Truman saved South Korea from Communism. Kennedy/Johnson got ut into Vietnam (but Nixon prolonged the war by four years after in 1968 being elected on an end the war platform).
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    LA, democrats favored entering WWII, republicans were isolationists who obstructed Roosevelt's desire to join in the fight against fascism -- until Pearl Harbor. Truman saved South Korea from Communism. Kennedy/Johnson got us into Vietnam (but Nixon prolonged the war by four years after in 1968 being elected on an end the war platform).
    You keep trying to turn this into a simplistic Democrat/Republican issue. Sorry, old friend, but that's ridiculous.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Is this a 6 or 10 point scale? That dude on the right must be an independent.
    It's SU.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I haven't read this tread in its entirety (too long and boring), but I do want to give an LOL to the initial article that LA linked. The main source for whether Mitt was right about "everything": Spencer Zwick!!!!! The person who stood to benefit the most financially from a Romney victory (he even started a hedge fund with Tagg - neither he nor Tagg know jack squat about finance).

This is like reading an article entitled "Is Obama the bestest president in the Universe?" with in depth analysis from Rahm Emanuel and Joe Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I haven't read this tread in its entirety (too long and boring), but I do want to give an LOL to the initial article that LA linked. The main source for whether Mitt was right about "everything": Spencer Zwick!!!!! The person who stood to benefit the most financially from a Romney victory (he even started a hedge fund with Tagg - neither he nor Tagg know jack squat about finance).

This is like reading an article entitled "Is Obama the bestest president in the Universe?" with in depth analysis from Rahm Emanuel and Joe Biden.
    Everybody here needs to lighten up. That was a Buzzfeed article written by McKay Coppins, a Buzzfeed writer who covered the Romney campaign, presumably because Coppins himself is a Mormon. Even the title, "Was Mitt Romney Right About Everything?" ought to tip everyone off about its semi-tongue in cheek nature. Does no one appreciate a little friendly towel-snapping now and then?

TankTowelPopping.jpg

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I'll give you credit that it has nothing to do with race, but I'd hate him just as much if he was a Republican. My hatred for Obama is that he is an arrogant asshole who believes himself superior to everyone. His far left policies only give me reason to hate his policies and his "good for thee but not for me" attitude about implication of his policies just emphasizes his arrogance.
    That is pretty much every modern President then.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    That is pretty much every modern President then.
    A rather fair point, though to paraphrase one George Orwell, all Presidents are arrogant assholes, but some Presidents are more of an arrogant asshole than others. Obama is one of those asshole Presidents.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Some presidents had the skill and experience to back up their arrogance. Others did not, and learned some very hard lessons as a result.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Some presidents had the skill and experience to back up their arrogance. Others did not, and learned some very hard lessons as a result.
    I came up with this list of 20th century presidents who did:

T. Roosevelt
    FDR
    Coolidge
    Kennedy (caveat: short term, so we will never really know)
    Reagan
    Clinton

Then I decided I really can't agree that they were arrogant a-holes. It takes a special person to become POTUS, and they're all too complex to simplify that way.

--Yeats

I came up with this list of 20th century presidents who did:

T. Roosevelt
    FDR
    Coolidge
    Kennedy (caveat: short term, so we will never really know)
    Reagan
    Clinton

Then I decided I really can't agree that they were arrogant a-holes. It takes a special person to become POTUS, and they're all too complex to simplify that way.
    How could you miss Ike?

Kennedy was one of those who had to learn some hard lessons, turning to his predecessor for help after Bay of Pigs.

If those with skill experience were not arrogant a-holes, they certainly had a high level of self confidence.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    How could you miss Ike?

Kennedy was one of those who had to learn some hard lessons, turning to his predecessor for help after Bay of Pigs.

If those with skill experience were not arrogant a-holes, they certainly had a high level of self confidence.
    I forgot Ike. My bad.

--Yeats

According to this ABC News/Washington Post poll, Mitt was 12 months too early:

Registered voters divide numerically in Mitt Romney's favor, 49-45 percent, if they had a mulligan for the 2012 presidential election. While the difference between the two is within the poll's error margin, Obama's support is 6 points below his actual showing a year ago.

--Yeats

According to this ABC News/Washington Post poll, Mitt was 12 months too early:
    Stuff like this makes me laugh...and it should never be called "news"

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Stuff like this makes me laugh...and it should never be called "news"
    Indulge me. I am having fun in my own little warped way.

--Yeats

Indulge me. I am having fun in my own little warped way.
    Yeah...you're a lawyer. I'm used to it

This doesn't fit anywhere so I am shoe-horning it in here.

--Yeats

Regardless of how one feels about Mitt, this will be worth watching:

--Yeats

Also, NBC on the "Mitt" documentary:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly...1347/#54171347
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-25-2014 at 12:16 PM.

--Yeats

The documentary got me teary eyed a few times. Mitt is a good man and our country needed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    The documentary got me teary eyed a few times. Mitt is a good man and our country needed him.
    To me it really exposed the canibalistic nature of the primarys. There has to be a better way to select a candidate for your party. I think he came off very well in the documentary. His sons on the other hand...
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    To me it really exposed the canibalistic nature of the primarys. There has to be a better way to select a candidate for your party. I think he came off very well in the documentary. His sons on the other hand...
    I think he was the better candidate, but was part of the wrong party. :shrug:

Listen to Obama's jab in the first 30 seconds and then listen to Romney's answer at about 2:24 here:

The response didn't get much notice at the time but seems pretty solid now.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-04-2014 at 09:12 PM.

--Yeats

Listen to Romney's answer at about 2:30 here:

No answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    No answer.
    Whoops. I embedded the wrong video. Try again!

--Yeats

--Yeats

Regardless of what Mitt was right about, Harry was pretty wrong:

Harry Reid’s appalling defense of his attack on Mitt Romney’s tax record

--Yeats

Regardless of what Mitt was right about, Harry was pretty wrong:

Harry Reid’s appalling defense of his attack on Mitt Romney’s tax record
    In other words, don't trust a Mormon to be honest if the truth doesn't support his goals.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    In other words, don't trust a Mormon to be honest if the truth doesn't support his goals.
    Seems a bit of an over-generalization, doesn't it?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Are you trying (and failing) to be funny or are you just a monumental ass?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Are you trying (and failing) to be funny or are you just a monumental ass?
    Just trying to write the tl:dr for that article, and didn't realize excessive hyperbole required a smilie face to protect the fragile.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 03-31-2015 at 11:37 PM.