Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

Hybrid View

Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

This is the thread where we talk of anything cubs related from tinkers to evers to chance to williams climbing the ivy to the Greatest 2nd baseman ever Ryne Sandberg to Chicago finally flying the World Series pennant that has taken 100+ years to acheive. Also this is the place to make fun of those mouth breathers from St. Louis.

To Get us on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Giancarlo Stanton will most likely be on the trade block. IMO the cubs should do anything possible to land him.
    The Cubs have so little of value that I doubt they could put together a viable offer for Stanton without completely gutting what they do have. But I could always be wrong.

Similar to Utah basketball, this is a rebuild that is going to take several years and a lot of patience. I like the approach so far, but it is always interesting to see if they have the patience to stick with it or if seats start to feel warm a couple years in causing them to panic and change the plan.

Wins and losses didn't concern me much last year, I was usually just watching to see what the youngsters like Castro were doing. I suspect this year will be more of the same.

I was digging the rumors that the Yankees might be interested in taking Soriano off our hands over the weekend to help fill in for Granderson, but it doesn't seem like that is happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    The Cubs have so little of value that I doubt they could put together a viable offer for Stanton without completely gutting what they do have. But I could always be wrong.

Similar to Utah basketball, this is a rebuild that is going to take several years and a lot of patience. I like the approach so far, but it is always interesting to see if they have the patience to stick with it or if seats start to feel warm a couple years in causing them to panic and change the plan.

Wins and losses didn't concern me much last year, I was usually just watching to see what the youngsters like Castro were doing. I suspect this year will be more of the same.

I was digging the rumors that the Yankees might be interested in taking Soriano off our hands over the weekend to help fill in for Granderson, but it doesn't seem like that is happening now.
    I would love for the cubs to be rid of Soriano. As for Stanton he is 23 and will be/almost is a super star perrrenial all star. When a player of this caliber is available you go for it.

So Giancarlo finished with 37 bombs. Through age 22 season, Stanton how has 93 home runs. His stats look something like this:

Season 1: 22 home runs in 359 at bats = home run every 16.3 at bats
    Season 2: 34 home runs in 516 at bats = home run every 15.7 at bats
    Season 3: 37 home runs in 449 at bats = home run every 12.1 at bats

Over a 600 at bat season, that equates to 37, 38, and 47 home runs. He is 22 years old. In 2001, Barry Bonds averaged a home run every 6.5 at bats (!!!) because he walks nearly 200 times. In 1998, Mark McGwire averaged a home run every 7.2 plate appearances. So Stanton has a ways to go, but I think will get there.

Stanton missed 40 games in 2012. If he had stayed healthy, the 22 year old prodigy would have almost certainly lead the NL in homers (Braun lead with 41, just 4 more than Giancarlo). If Stanton had maintain his home runs per at bat number, he would have need 165 at bats in those 40 games to reach 50 home runs. A stretch, but possible. Has there ever been a 22 year old who was a legitimate 50 home run challenger? McGwire hit 37 in the first half of 1986, when he was 23. But he finished with only 49.

If Giancarlo can play 150 games next year, he will get 550 + at bats. If he does that, he will be a solid chance at 50 homers in a season. And he will only be 23. He is the best young slugger since McGwire himself. Remember the animal Ryan Howard was his first few years? He was also a 26 year old rookie. His 58 home runs came in his age 27 season. Giancarlo reminds me of him, but 6 years younger and more potential. It's scary to think this guy is a realistic 50 homer guy...and he is probably 2/3s of the way to his potential.

This is the thread where we talk of anything cubs related from tinkers to evers to chance to williams climbing the ivy to the Greatest 2nd baseman ever Ryne Sandberg to Chicago finally flying the World Series pennant that has taken 100+ years to acheive. Also this is the place to make fun of those mouth breathers from St. Louis.
    I guess someone always has to say it before the season starts and the Cubs eventually collapse.....

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoUteTroutHead View Post
    I guess someone always has to say it before the season starts and the Cubs eventually collapse.....
    you are a buzzkill. Its spring!!! Hope is eternal!!!

I just want baseball to start. I will be at spring training games in AZ tomorrow. How is that for a buzzkill?

FREEDOM!!!!!!!

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoUteTroutHead View Post
    I just want baseball to start. I will be at spring training games in AZ tomorrow. How is that for a buzzkill?

FREEDOM!!!!!!!
    I wish I was there. Alas I will have to settle for going to Vegas for the Pac12 tourney.

That works too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

So what are expectations for this season? It looks like most places have the over/under for wins this year at around 72. Maybe I am just a starry eyed optimist, but I would put it at around 75. I would be pretty satisfied that they are moving in the right direction with anything above 78 or 80, but it would take a .500 season to make me happy.

Soriano is done and done, he never did do much for them.

-What would you do
    Would you fear them?

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

The cubs roster got much worse, and they lost 102 games last year.... yikes. Not happy times in Chi town

Cubs Starting Rotation Projections

Jeff Samardizdja
    Matt Garza
    Edwin Jackson
    Carlos Villanueva
    Scott Baker

If the cubs had any offensive power I would say that would be good enough to win the central.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

My son and I catching his first Cubs game .... In St Louis

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

It pays to be a cute kid. Here is my son with his new friend who got the bullpen catcher to throw him a ball

Attached Images Attached Images

It pays to be a cute kid. Here is my son with his new friend who got the bullpen catcher to throw him a ball

You picked a decent night. We may not see 17 runs again cumulatively for two weeks.

Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB. - baseball prospectus twet

2016 is shaping up as the start to a special run. Anthony Rizzo is having a breakout year and will continue to get better. The cubs will trade Starlin

Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB. - baseball prospectus twet

2016 is shaping up as the start to a special run. Anthony Rizzo is having a breakout year and will continue to get better. The cubs will trade Starlin

I think you are right that they would like to trade Castro at some point, although it sounds like Baez is struggling a little at AAA so they may need to wait a while and make sure he is going to pan out. I assume that of Baez, Russell and Castro you have your 2B, your SS and the other is either a bust or gets traded.

I wrote this July 7th 2014!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Steve Bartman, come out of hiding my friend. U should throw the first pitch of the 2017 season and enjoy your 10 minute standing O.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Steve Bartman, come out of hiding my friend. U should throw the first pitch of the 2017 season and enjoy your 10 minute standing O.
    I am seriously curious what he must be thinking right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my Cubs fan buddies here:

The Cubs Way: The Zen of Building the Best Team in Baseball and Breaking the Curse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...922f625b8fceee

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/31/steve-ba...pionship-ring/

Steve Bartman finally gets his......
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You hold onto that, MRD. Your baseball fan existence is now going to be explaining to others that you liked the Cubs before 2016, kinda like that lying Red Sox fan who shows up here once or twice a year.
    I don't have to explain to anyone. anyone who knows me knows I've been a cub fan forever.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You hold onto that, MRD. Your baseball fan existence is now going to be explaining to others that you liked the Cubs before 2016, kinda like that lying Red Sox fan who shows up here once or twice a year.
    If anyone stumbled across this board and formed their opinion of you based on your posts I'm guessing they'd think you were one of the most angry and bitter persons to ever live

And the 2016 Cubs are the Red Sox West aren't they? Haha (Coming from a life long Red Sox fan)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javy Baez hits the game winning home run in the 11th inning of his MLB debut. Not too shabby.

I'm still irrationally nervous about Baez being up with the Cubs. It's one thing to say you have a bunch of supposedly great prospects on the farm but when they start coming up things get real. What if he's a bust???

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    What if he's a bust???
    Then he'll be right at home in Chicago.