Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Not only for what he did to Chapman, but what he did to Hendricks and lester. IMHO, if Hendricks had finished that inning,he would have been the winning pitcher.
    Had the Cubs lost there would have been lots of second guessing of both Maddon and the players. The handling of the pitchers in both of the last two games as well as the fact that the Cubs were shaky in the in field all night long. Uncharacteristic errors and mis-plays by Baez and Russell, the whole scenario in the 5th with the swinging bunt, errant throw to first, wild pitch that all gifted Cleveland two runs without the ball leaving the infield. Even in the 10th the Cubs had scored two but still had bases loaded and only one out and couldn't get any more. Had they lost the talk of choking and curses and managerial errors would have been very loud.

But it was a great team win. Every Cub that played contributed something significant, all the way down to Almora and Montero coming through in the 10th. Even Chapman who was almost the goat did bounce back to pitch a clean 9th, which was huge.

Last night I took a minute to read several posts off the first page of this thread, started in February 2013. We've come a long, long way since then.

Chris Berman summed up last night's win best.

https://twitter.com/OldRowKoozie/sta...66322166403073

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Had the Cubs lost there would have been lots of second guessing of both Maddon and the players. The handling of the pitchers in both of the last two games as well as the fact that the Cubs were shaky in the in field all night long. Uncharacteristic errors and mis-plays by Baez and Russell, the whole scenario in the 5th with the swinging bunt, errant throw to first, wild pitch that all gifted Cleveland two runs without the ball leaving the infield. Even in the 10th the Cubs had scored two but still had bases loaded and only one out and couldn't get any more. Had they lost the talk of choking and curses and managerial errors would have been very loud.

But it was a great team win. Every Cub that played contributed something significant, all the way down to Almora and Montero coming through in the 10th. Even Chapman who was almost the goat did bounce back to pitch a clean 9th, which was huge.

Last night I took a minute to read several posts off the first page of this thread, started in February 2013. We've come a long, long way since then.
    The thin line between goat and genius.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The thin line between goat and genius.
    It was a good series, and a GREAT Game 7 - probably the best World Series game in 15 years (I consider the 2001 WS Game 7 the best game of my lifetime- hardly a comprehensive approach to baseball history, but whatever).

The thing that started to get to me during the rain delay was how baseball blew a chance to showcase itself to the nation. Its championship game went down to the wire - past the wire, actually - and casual fans & kids were fast asleep by the time Zobrist hit home the winning run in the 10th.

A championship game with its climax coming after midnight on a rainy November Wednesday night in Cleveland? Are you kidding me?
    Get better, MLB.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post

For every sports fan this has a special place. In the really old days of cable one of the few channels was WGN. Back then, Cubs only played during the day. If you were sick, sluffing school, or just laying around, the Cubs were always on. . It was always fascinating to see guys sitting on chairs on top of their buildings watching the afternoon game. Although the Cubs weren't my favorite team, Ryne Sandberg was one of my favorite players. And Harry Caray was so goofy that he was entertaining.

My first chance to go to Wrigley was in 2010. it was an afternoon game. Driving up to the Stadium for me was like driving through Sugar House and there, in the middle, was Wrigley. It's just a neighborhood. At that time, the only beer they were serving was Old Style--just like the John Hughes movies of the 80s. It was magical. It's the greatest baseball Stadium in the world, bar none. I tell people if you love baseball, visiting Wrigley is like dying and going to heaven. And, if you don't care for baseball, you'll love visiting Wrigley. The day I visited, my son was participating in an AAU basketball tournament the next day. They lost early that day. The first thing he said to me after the last game was "dad can we go back to Wrigley tomorrow?" We did.

I'm happy for Cubs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    For every sports fan this has a special place. In the really old days of cable one of the few channels was WGN. Back then, Cubs only played during the day. If you were sick, sluffing school, or just laying around, the Cubs were always on. . It was always fascinating to see guys sitting on chairs on top of their buildings watching the afternoon game. Although the Cubs weren't my favorite team, Ryne Sandberg was one of my favorite players. And Harry Caray was so goofy that he was entertaining.

My first chance to go to Wrigley was in 2010. it was an afternoon game. Driving up to the Stadium for me was like driving through Sugar House and there, in the middle, was Wrigley. It's just a neighborhood. At that time, the only beer they were serving was Old Style--just like the John Hughes movies of the 80s. It was magical. It's the greatest baseball Stadium in the world, bar none. I tell people if you love baseball, visiting Wrigley is like dying and going to heaven. And, if you don't care for baseball, you'll love visiting Wrigley. The day I visited, my son was participating in an AAU basketball tournament the next day. They lost early that day. The first thing he said to me after the last game was "dad can we go back to Wrigley tomorrow?" We did.

I'm happy for Cubs fans.
    Same with me. Our whole family saw the Cubs play the Mets in July; Lester pitched and Rizzo hit the game winning homer. None of us had been to Wrigley before. the game started at 6 pm, which was perfect. The sun was shining for about the first 5 innings and then the lights came on. We sung go Cubs Go with gusto and all bought hats or shirts. I tell my kids they will remember for the rest of their lives that they attended their first Cubs game the year they broke the curse. I hope it is special for them forever.

Maybe this isn't the time for my suggestions on how to make baseball better and more accessible by the average fan.

Same with me. Our whole family saw the Cubs play the Mets in July; Lester pitched and Rizzo hit the game winning homer. None of us had been to Wrigley before. the game started at 6 pm, which was perfect. The sun was shining for about the first 5 innings and then the lights came on. We sung go Cubs Go with gusto and all bought hats or shirts. I tell my kids they will remember for the rest of their lives that they attended their first Cubs game the year they broke the curse. I hope it is special for them forever.
    What the hell? Wrigley Stadium has lights?

(I kid - but only a little bit)
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

On the ticket, it says you are required to turn on the light on your phone and shine it in the direction of the field.

i'm feeling a little moved so I want to say something. *Over my 40+ years so many people have told me "the cubs will never win it all" or some variation of that declaration. *I've watched some really bad teams (3 years ago they lost 100 games). *I've been through so many devastating seasons and games I can't count them all. *When I was 8 years old I remember Detroit Tigers manager Sparky Anderson talking with President Reagan and Sparky saying "I know these aren't your cubs but you have to respect how they played". *Since Reagan was pretty much a hero in my home I decided the cubs would be my team too. *

My family got cable in 87 and that is when I really started watching the cubs. *My favorite cub team... uh I mean second favorite cub team ever happened in 1989. *I remember the whole team. *the 2 rookies Dwight Smith in left and Jerome Walton in center (Jerome Walton was Rookie of the year and Dwight Smith was 2nd). *They had the hawk (Andre Dawson) with his sweet jerry curl perm. *Vance Law at 3rd, Shawon Dunston (the hardest throwing infielder ever) at SS. *Mark Grace was 1b and Damon Berryhill and Joe Girardi were behind the plate. *The cubs had Greg Maddux and Rick Sutcliffe as their two great*starting pitchers and Mitch Wild thing Williams was their closer. *

The one position I didn't mention because he was greatest second baseman ever and my favorite player ever; Ryne Sandberg. That was my team. *When they lost to the Giants in NL pennant that year I was heart*brokern. **When I first started hanging out with Chad he always brought*up how he had the series on tape if we*wanted to watch (he's a giant fan) and it took everything in me not to punch him square in the jaw. *

I went to my first cubs game when I was 14. *My mom worked for Eastern Airlines So we flew for free and went saw a game. *I remember it clear as day. It was against the phillies. *Before the game Harry Caray was signing autographs and I was literally the next person in line when he abrutly said "no more" and went to the press box. *I then got in line to get some others before we all got shewed away. *Cubs won the game with Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson hitting back to back home runs. *

Time went on and the cubs team from year to year were either mediocre or just down right terrible. *We had some good spots. *1998 had Sammy Sosa hitting home runs and Kerry Wood pitching masterfully. *I was in Europe the month Sammy Sosa hit 20 home runs that June. **
    2003 Came next. *I don't think I have ever been more pissed off then game 6. *To be clear I dont fault Bartman one bit. *There were 6 other people going for that foul ball. *The one who squarely deserves the blame is Dusty Baker. After Alex Gonzalez boots an easy double play AND the bartman situation happens Dusty Baker does absolutely nothing. *He just sits their chewing on his stupid toothpick. *Hey Dusty your 25 year old star pitcher just got robbed of getting out of an inning due to a missed double play and a possible out in left field. *How about you go out there and settle him down. *nope... he just sat there and chewed on his *stupid toothpick. *
    Now we come to this year. *They finally did it. They really*did it. *For a moment last night the 10 year old*in me rejoiced like no other. *I truly can die in peace. *I got to see it. *This is why sports are great. *The roller coaster of emotions I felt last night were well worth the ride. *CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! *HOLY COW! *This morning at Harry Caray's grave their were bushels of green apples left surrounding his grave. *Here is why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPaACIEnQMg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    i'm feeling a little moved so I want to say something. *Over my 40+ years so many people have told me "the cubs will never win it all" or some variation of that declaration. *I've watched some really bad teams (3 years ago they lost 100 games). *I've been through so many devastating seasons and games I can't count them all. *When I was 8 years old I remember Detroit Tigers manager Sparky Anderson talking with President Reagan and Sparky saying "I know these aren't your cubs but you have to respect how they played". *Since Reagan was pretty much a hero in my home I decided the cubs would be my team too. *

My family got cable in 87 and that is when I really started watching the cubs. *My favorite cub team... uh I mean second favorite cub team ever happened in 1989. *I remember the whole team. *the 2 rookies Dwight Smith in left and Jerome Walton in center (Jerome Walton was Rookie of the year and Dwight Smith was 2nd). *They had the hawk (Andre Dawson) with his sweet jerry curl perm. *Vance Law at 3rd, Shawon Dunston (the hardest throwing infielder ever) at SS. *Mark Grace was 1b and Damon Berryhill and Joe Girardi were behind the plate. *The cubs had Greg Maddux and Rick Sutcliffe as their two great*starting pitchers and Mitch Wild thing Williams was their closer. *

The one position I didn't mention because he was greatest second baseman ever and my favorite player ever; Ryne Sandberg. That was my team. *When they lost to the Giants in NL pennant that year I was heart*brokern. **When I first started hanging out with Chad he always brought*up how he had the series on tape if we*wanted to watch (he's a giant fan) and it took everything in me not to punch him square in the jaw. *

I went to my first cubs game when I was 14. *My mom worked for Eastern Airlines So we flew for free and went saw a game. *I remember it clear as day. It was against the phillies. *Before the game Harry Caray was signing autographs and I was literally the next person in line when he abrutly said "no more" and went to the press box. *I then got in line to get some others before we all got shewed away. *Cubs won the game with Ryne Sandberg and Andre Dawson hitting back to back home runs. *

Time went on and the cubs team from year to year were either mediocre or just down right terrible. *We had some good spots. *1998 had Sammy Sosa hitting home runs and Kerry Wood pitching masterfully. *I was in Europe the month Sammy Sosa hit 20 home runs that June. **
    2003 Came next. *I don't think I have ever been more pissed off then game 6. *To be clear I dont fault Bartman one bit. *There were 6 other people going for that foul ball. *The one who squarely deserves the blame is Dusty Baker. After Alex Gonzalez boots an easy double play AND the bartman situation happens Dusty Baker does absolutely nothing. *He just sits their chewing on his stupid toothpick. *Hey Dusty your 25 year old star pitcher just got robbed of getting out of an inning due to a missed double play and a possible out in left field. *How about you go out there and settle him down. *nope... he just sat there and chewed on his *stupid toothpick. *
    Now we come to this year. *They finally did it. They really*did it. *For a moment last night the 10 year old*in me rejoiced like no other. *I truly can die in peace. *I got to see it. *This is why sports are great. *The roller coaster of emotions I felt last night were well worth the ride. *CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! *HOLY COW! *This morning at Harry Caray's grave their were bushels of green apples left surrounding his grave. *Here is why:

Awesome, MRD. My experience growing up with the Cubs is pretty similar to yours. Got cable in the late '80s. Loved that I could watch random Cubs games on so many lazy summer afternoons when I was 10-12 years old. In Little League I always played second base and my name is close enough to Ryne so naturally I idolized Sandberg. I got hooked on Sandberg, Grace, Dawson, Dunston and thought Jerome Walton was the coolest ballplayer ever. I imagine there's a bunch of us Cubs fans all over the nation in our age bracket specifically because of that era of WGN being carrying all of the Cubs games nationwide on basic cable. Those were the days.

We've been through a lot since then but mostly incompetence among front office and managers. It's amazing how quickly things can come together when you get the right people in those positions. Long live Theo and Jed!

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Speaking of lights at Wrigley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tm3GFcPZQo

My wife is a bigger Cubs fan than me. Our first three dates were games at Wrigley- her choice. This last week I learned that she is also a scarier, more demented sports fan than me, and that if the Cubs go to the WS next year I'm just buying her a flight and tickets and praying for the person who sits next to her.

i'm also now terrified of going to te Utah-Butler game with her (her alma mater).

For reasons I can't remember I hated Damon Berryhill. That was the period of time where I became acquainted with the heartbreak of losing as a sports fan; really even more with the Flyin Illini losing to Michigan in the Final Four than with the Cubs NLCS loss.

This post reminds me of how I felt when the Blackhawks finally won Lord Stanley's Cup. 3 cups later, and I can say each one is awesome and the 2015 cup victory actually topped 2010.

Congrats Cubs, I give the credit to the Blackhawks for wearing Cubs jerseys.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

i'm feeling a little moved so I want to say something. *Over my 40+ years so many people have told me "the cubs will never win it all" or some variation of that declaration. *I've watched some really bad teams (3 years ago they lost 100 games). *I've been through so many devastating seasons and games I can't count them all. *When I was 8 years old I remember Detroit Tigers manager Sparky Anderson talking with President Reagan and Sparky saying "I know these aren't your cubs but you have to respect how they played". *Since Reagan was pretty much a hero in my home I decided the cubs would be my team too....
    I think I really get you on this, MRD. Unlike a lot of bandwagoners, I have been a Red Sox fan since I was 12, and long before it was cool to be a Red Sox fan. (That happened in about 2003.) When they finally won in 2004 -- and in such an amazing fashion, coming back against the hated Yankees in the ALCS (after being down 3-1) and then sweeping the Cardinals, I was sooooo happy. I wore a Red Sox jacket to work all day the next day and all over town. The Cubs championship drought was even longer than the Sox's, so I was happy to see it finally en last night, and in such an exciting way. Congrats, Cubs!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think I really get you on this, MRD. Unlike a lot of bandwagoners, I have been a Red Sox fan since I was 12, and long before it was cool to be a Red Sox fan. (That happened in about 2003.) When they finally won in 2004 -- and in such an amazing fashion, coming back against the hated Yankees in the ALCS (after being down 3-1) and then sweeping the Cardinals, I was sooooo happy. I wore a Red Sox jacket to work all day the next day and all over town. The Cubs championship drought was even longer than the Sox's, so I was happy to see it finally en last night, and in such an exciting way. Congrats, Cubs!
    I hope you are not referring to me as a bandwagon fan. I have been a die hard Cubs fan since July, and will be until opening day (except that, like Scratch, part of me wanted to root for the small market low payroll team; too bad one of them had to lose.)

I hope you are not referring to me as a bandwagon fan. I have been a die hard Cubs fan since July, and will be until opening day (except that, like Scratch, part of me wanted to root for the small market low payroll team; too bad one of them had to lose.)
    No -- I was talking about Red Sox fans who suddenly emerged in 2004 or so. IIRC you've been part of Red Sox Nation for a long time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

No -- I was talking about Red Sox fans who suddenly emerged in 2004 or so. IIRC you've been part of Red Sox Nation for a long time.
    Me a Red Sox fan? Only when they play the Yankees. My whole life I have been a National League fan; always root for the NL in the series (except in 83 when I lived in DC and followed the Orioles).

Me a Red Sox fan? Only when they play the Yankees. My whole life I have been a National League fan; always root for the NL in the series (except in 83 when I lived in DC and followed the Orioles).
    Someone around here is a long-time Red Sox fan; I thought it was you. I'll admit it's less fun being one now that the Sox have become cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Someone around here is a long-time Red Sox fan; I thought it was you. I'll admit it's less fun being one now that the Sox have become cool.

Same thing will happen to the Cubs. If they really become a dynasty over the next 5 years, we will all get sick of them (except MRD and SoCalPat).

I'm a life long Red Sox fan, as is my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'm a life long Red Sox fan, as is my dad.

--Yeats

For my Cubs fan buddies here:

The Cubs Way: The Zen of Building the Best Team in Baseball and Breaking the Curse

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...922f625b8fceee

--Yeats

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/31/steve-ba...pionship-ring/

Steve Bartman finally gets his......
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.