Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Time to stop trying to get something for him because it ain't happening. Just make him go away. Trade him for some fresh air and peace of mind.
    I am just hoping for a minor leaguer that may have some potential or a utility infielder who is a good baserunner.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

There is no good reason to ever root for the Detroit Tigers. By doing so you are associating yourself with Red Wing fans, which is the worst association that you could make in sports.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Aren't they the ones who throw octopus? I don't know a thing about hockey, but that is one of the coolest and most unique fan traditions around. And if I'm going to label and stereotype a fan base, it'll be the one in Provo.
    Yeah they do that... in the original 6 days it took 8 wins for the Stanley Cup. I don't follow hockey much if any but redwing fans are crazy.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

a package with a goat's head was sent to wrigley today to the cubs owner ... odd.

I hope Angel Pagan is on the Cubs' payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I hope Angel Pagan is on the Cubs' payroll.
    Well, he was at one time.....but this is about the Goat Head, which will probably be the Cubs' closer by attrition within a couple of weeks.

Cubs Owner Ricketts promises World Series with Wrigley renovations.

Aren't they the ones who throw octopus? I don't know a thing about hockey, but that is one of the coolest and most unique fan traditions around. And if I'm going to label and stereotype a fan base, it'll be the one in Provo.
    Yes those evil bastards do that. A lot of bad can be said about byu fans but the are not as evil as red wing fans

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Just got back to my Hotel after hitting Wrigley for the first time. Awesome place to see a game. The Cubs as a team suck really bad but hey, they have a cool place to get their butts handed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Just got back to my Hotel after hitting Wrigley for the first time. Awesome place to see a game. The Cubs as a team suck really bad but hey, they have a cool place to get their butts handed to them.
    That has to be on everYones list of must see. I am going to StLouis for some training tomorrow and will catch the game. My first Cardinals game.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    That has to be on everYones list of must see. I am going to StLouis for some training tomorrow and will catch the game. My first Cardinals game.
    If you are a sports fan, you have to get to a game there. One of the best. Seeing a Cards game in St Louis is something that I would love to do as well. I heard that is an awesome pace to see a game as well.

BTW, how close are you to Evansville Indiana? I may have something take me out there this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    If you are a sports fan, you have to get to a game there. One of the best. Seeing a Cards game in St Louis is something that I would love to do as well. I heard that is an awesome pace to see a game as well.

BTW, how close are you to Evansville Indiana? I may have something take me out there this summer.
    ive never been there but it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away. If you make your way there it would be a good reason to make the trip. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    ive never been there but it is only about 1-1/2 to 2 hours away. If you make your way there it would be a good reason to make the trip. Let me know.
    I will for sure. I am trying to get a meeting with a pretty good sized company down there. I have a call with them next week. I will keep you posted.

Nice hustle, Starlin.

Went to our first Cubs game at Wrigley last night. Really, really cool in so many ways.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Wrigley Field is awesome. Every baseball fan should see a game there at least once. Fenway too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Hitting Wrigley for the first time tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wrigley Field is awesome. Every baseball fan should see a game there at least once. Fenway too.
    Agree. if you love baseball Wrigley is absolute heaven. Nothing like it. If you don't love baseball (or don't even like it) you will have fun.

Here's Puig in the box at tonight's game. It was a perfect night for baseball in a perfect setting.

Puig at Wrigley.jpg

Lets get this going again. Here is a fantastic article on the cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    i may be able to catch a game in May. My wife has some meetings in Chicago. I'm trying to juggle things so I can tag along.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    i may be able to catch a game in May. My wife has some meetings in Chicago. I'm trying to juggle things so I can tag along.
    I have a life goal to see a ballgame in every home park before I die: I'm half-way there (15 down, 15 to go). Wrigley is the only B.I.G. one that I'm missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I have a life goal to see a ballgame in every home park before I die: I'm half-way there (15 down, 15 to go). Wrigley is the only B.I.G. one that I'm missing.
    We are going to hit the new Yankee stadium this spring. I'm well behind you but I have seen 2 games in parks that are no longer in use - Veterans Stadium in Philly and Montreal Stadium.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    We are going to hit the new Yankee stadium this spring. I'm well behind you but I have seen 2 games in parks that are no longer in use - Veterans Stadium in Philly and Montreal Stadium.
    I have a little loophole that helps with that. My official goal is to see a home game of every Major League franchise. That means that I count the Yankees, although I've only seen a game in the old Yankee Stadium (ditto the Astros and Cardinals). It also allows me to simply wait for the Devil Rays to relocate before going to one of their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    That is a good article and I agree with the premise that 2014 is the first year of the Epstein-Hoyer era where things get interesting. I don't expect a great record or the playoffs, but I do expect to see a lot more out of the stockpile of prospects that are supposed to be the foundation for the next push (and a bounce back year for both Rizzo and Castro).

Nice, I can count the Twins, Padres, and Nats again.
    If you don't count this way, it gets cumbersome with teams changing ballparks. For instance, I've seen dozens of A's games at the Colliseum - should i have to fly back to Oakland (or San Jose) just to watch a game in their new fancy digs? No!

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I do expect to see a lot more out of the stockpile of prospects that are supposed to be the foundation for the next push (and a bounce back year for both Rizzo and Castro).
    You and I apparently have very different definitions of the word "prospect."

1pm Eastern.... ESPN... The Cubs start playing ball again.

Does anyone remember when people thought Starlin Castro didn't suck?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Does anyone remember when people thought Starlin Castro didn't suck?
    those were good times.