Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Starlin Castro looks like the uptown funk guy
    I would say right now that he looks like the guy that needs to be traded if Javy Baez can be near a return by the deadline...or perhaps even if Baez isn't ready. I know they won't get much value in return given the way he has played this season but it seems like a change of scenery may do him some good as well as clear up the Cubs' middle infield logjam (that LaStella guy is going to be back at some point too).

Playoff bound baby! Reverse the curse! I believe

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    There has to be some part of Cubs fans - maybe in the subconscious - that wants the curse to continue. That and the ivy are really the two strongest identifying characteristics of the team. If you win, you become like the Red Sox, who immediately went from lovable to worse than the Yankees.
    No real cub fan doesn't want to win the world series. They aren't byu fans who only care of ESPN is talking about them.

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Wednesday we have to take down the Pirates!

LET'S GO CUBS!

https://youtu.be/RODYdjdB17o

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sad. In any other year, the Pirates would be overwhelming sentimental favorites. I say the Cubs are more interesting as losers, and I hope they don't win it all.

Playoff rooting power rankings:

1) Pirates
    2) Jays
    3) Mets
    4) Astros
    5) Cubs
    6) Cards
    7) Dodgers
    8) Royals
    What about the Rangers?

Arrieta has been so dominant for so long that I fear that he's do for something along the lines of solid but not dominant, something like 2 ER in 7 IP. I worry that a line like that will mean a loss as our offense concerns me and our bullpen inspires little confidence if we need more than Rondon to close it out.

enjoy the next 3 games, Cubs fans. there's always next year. #BestFansinBaseball #TheCardinalWay

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    enjoy the next 3 games, Cubs fans. there's always next year. #BestFansinBaseball #TheCardinalWay
    Go back to your own board, Redbird. Your Cardinals are finished! FINISHED!

Ugh. How do I decide which insufferable team to cheer for in this series?

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Go back to your own board, Redbird. Your Cardinals are finished! FINISHED!
    Please Cubs follow the example of the Chicago Blackhawks and do to the Cardinals what the Blackhawks do to the Blues each time they have a playoff series.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    Please Cubs follow the example of the Chicago Blackhawks and do to the Cardinals what the Blackhawks do to the Blues each time they have a playoff series.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002...y_Cup_Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    You guys seem determined to talk hockey in non-hockey threads, but I think the silence to these posts, as our resident expert says, speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Ugh. How do I decide which insufferable team to cheer for in this series?
    I can see how, as an insufferable person, this would be a difficult choice for you, like a retiree trying to choose between Arizona and Florida.

That was a long time ago.

I like this one better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Stanley_Cup_playoffs

Also, how about this one. 8-3 baby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackh...3Blues_rivalry

I thought we met more than once recent, but that is right the Blues never live up to their end of the bargain and keep losing early in the playoffs so we don't meet.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Soler power baby!

Good article on the reigning Rookie of the year.

Sorry Cub fans. I love watching Schwarber hit.

Interesting Article about the Cubs hot start. The last paragraph is very true.

In only three years, the Cubs have risen from one of the worst teams in baseball to achieve an unprecedented degree of dominance. But there’s no pennant for the best Elo rating, no trophy for the highest run differential. And it might take playing at this level all season to overcome the most stunning streak of postseason futility in professional sports and win a championship for the first time in 107 years.

I have never been to Wrigley and am taking the family to see the Cubs play the Mets in July. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have never been to Wrigley and am taking the family to see the Cubs play the Mets in July. Can't wait.
    Been there quite a few times. It's a great place to watch a ball game.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Been there quite a few times. It's a great place to watch a ball game.

I had unwittingly purchased slightly view obstructed seats at Fenway a couple of years ago; made sure not to make that mistake again.

I'm sure this has happened before (probably many times) because it's baseball and everything has happened before, but last night was the first time I can remember seeing a team put two pitchers on the field and then toggle back and forth between two pitchers in the same inning. The Cubs did it in both the 14th and 15th innings last night, putting a pitcher in LF and then swapping him and the pitcher on the mound (and then swapping back again). Miraculously, it worked as the Cubs bullpen held on and they won in 15 innings.

Despite all of that, the Cubs currently have bullpen issues. They need to make some upgrades although I hope they don't overreact and go get Miller or Chapman from the Yankees. (I'd love to have Miller or Chapman, but getting one of them would likely mean parting with Kyle Schwarber and more, which is not something that interests me).

There's no way the Cubs would give up Schwarber for Miller or Chapman. He's cheap and the Cubs absolutely understand how much more valuable a position player is than a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    There's no way the Cubs would give up Schwarber for Miller or Chapman. He's cheap and the Cubs absolutely understand how much more valuable a position player is than a reliever.
    I agree. I just find it funny that I keep seeing blurbs about how the Yankees are going to "move on" from talks with the Cubs if they won't part with Schwarber. But then it is the Yankees, so....

Solon and I took in a game from Wrigley yesterday. even though the good guys lost they still wrapped up home field advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Solon and I took in a game from Wrigley yesterday. even though the good guys lost they still wrapped up home field advantage.

Wow you picked a heck of a game to attend in person. I just take solace the fact that Hammel is making the decision to leave him off the playoff roster very easy.

Well, here we go. Cubs head into the playoffs as a solid favorite to at least win the pennant if not the world series. Each of Arrieta, Lester and Hendricks have been somewhat roughed up in their last start. I'm not feeling overly optimistic, but hoping that they were each getting their bad outing out of their system.

Mets or Giants? I don't love the idea of facing a team that owned us last NLCS and then swept a four-gamer this season (Cubs should have swept the second series against NY this year but choked one game away), but I would rather go to battle against this beat up team than mess with the Giants and their even year voodoo. My preference would have been to get the battered Cardinals (who would still be dangerous) in this series. I'll hope the Mets pull through. Assuming the wild card game is Syndegaard vs Bumgarner, I'd rather face the other Mets pitchers than the Giants (as presently constituted).

I'd also much rather face the Nats than the Dodgers in the NLCS, if we get there. The Kershaw/Hill combo scares me. The Nats have Scherzer and may get Strasburg back but overall they are also pretty beaten up and Bryce Harper has forgotten how to be awesome. Daniel Murphy is terrifying but he's also been hurt.

If we are so fortunate as to make the World Series I think the Red Sox, and to a lesser extent the Blue Jays, are the only teams that scare me (but there's a lot of time for that to evolve).

Between the Cubs in the postseason and the Utes' propensity to make every PAC 12 game extra tense I'm not sure my heart will survive the month.