Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Well, here we go. Cubs head into the playoffs as a solid favorite to at least win the pennant if not the world series. Each of Arrieta, Lester and Hendricks have been somewhat roughed up in their last start. I'm not feeling overly optimistic, but hoping that they were each getting their bad outing out of their system.

Mets or Giants? I don't love the idea of facing a team that owned us last NLCS and then swept a four-gamer this season (Cubs should have swept the second series against NY this year but choked one game away), but I would rather go to battle against this beat up team than mess with the Giants and their even year voodoo. My preference would have been to get the battered Cardinals (who would still be dangerous) in this series. I'll hope the Mets pull through. Assuming the wild card game is Syndegaard vs Bumgarner, I'd rather face the other Mets pitchers than the Giants (as presently constituted).

I'd also much rather face the Nats than the Dodgers in the NLCS, if we get there. The Kershaw/Hill combo scares me. The Nats have Scherzer and may get Strasburg back but overall they are also pretty beaten up and Bryce Harper has forgotten how to be awesome. Daniel Murphy is terrifying but he's also been hurt.

If we are so fortunate as to make the World Series I think the Red Sox, and to a lesser extent the Blue Jays, are the only teams that scare me (but there's a lot of time for that to evolve).

Between the Cubs in the postseason and the Utes' propensity to make every PAC 12 game extra tense I'm not sure my heart will survive the month.
    The Cubs are overwhelming favorites to win the World Series at 2-1 (Vegasinsider.com has the Cubs listed at 9-4). Boston is at 9-2 and Texas at 5-1 are the next two favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The Cubs are overwhelming favorites to win the World Series at 2-1 (Vegasinsider.com has the Cubs listed at 9-4). Boston is at 9-2 and Texas at 5-1 are the next two favorites.
    Yeah, they are the favorite. Still, I saw something on 538 today that gives them a 26% chance with Boston at 19% followed by the Dodgers. Texas I don't get at all. That's a team that outperformed their expected record by a lot. I would love to see the Cubs against them in the World Series.

Great article on the cubs.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Yeah, they are the favorite. Still, I saw something on 538 today that gives them a 26% chance with Boston at 19% followed by the Dodgers. Texas I don't get at all. That's a team that outperformed their expected record by a lot. I would love to see the Cubs against them in the World Series.
    2-1 is crazy for any team. Baseball games are so random that any 7-game series between playoff-caliber teams is essentially just a coin-flip. Start at 12.5% for the 8 teams in the playoffs, and then make VERY minimal adjustments from there based on the differences between the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    2-1 is crazy for any team. Baseball games are so random that any 7-game series between playoff-caliber teams is essentially just a coin-flip. Start at 12.5% for the 8 teams in the playoffs, and then make VERY minimal adjustments from there based on the differences between the teams.
    Betting on playoff baseball seems like a fool's errand. As the Cubs near the start of Game 1 I'm feeling more and more like we're underdogs due to the stupid #EvenYear stuff and the fact that Bumgarner will probably pitch all 45+ innings of the series.

let's go cubs!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Unbelievable comeback. If this were a closeout game in the LCS, I'd say we're all square for whatever happened in 2003.

If the Cubs make it to the World Series, Steve Bartman should be invited back to throw out the first pitch for Game 3. It's time everyone in Chicago forget about silly curses and past collapses. This year's team doesn't give a flying flip about that -- neither should the organization or the fans. I laugh at those who suggest the team takes it's cue from the fans ("Take it one game at a time!"), but I think the Cubs and Chicago are the rare exception to all of this. That's a cycle that needs to be broken.

Cubs Win!! Cubs Win!!! Holy Cow!!! Cubs Win... The Chicago Cubs Thread

I have always liked the Cubs as sorry but lovable losers with a devoted fan following and a great stadium. I also hope the Dodgers make the ALCS NLCS and beat the Cubs.
    Flame away.

(This post is for the scoundrel who moved my last post to another thread. Typical Cubs fan)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-12-2016 at 10:03 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have always liked the Cubs as sorry but lovable losers with a devoted fan following and a great stadium. I also hope the Dodgers make the ALCS and beat the Cubs. Flame away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm very confident that the Dodgers will not make the ALCS. I also don't think they'll make the NLCS but they have a much better chance at that one.

That game sucked. The nationals are going to kill you guys.

I'm very confident that the Dodgers will not make the ALCS. I also don't think they'll make the NLCS but they have a much better chance at that one.
    That's the problem with this board. You guys are too detail-oriented and refuse to see the big picture.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The Giants showed they had no bullpen last night. I haven't been following the Giants so I was surprised.

--Yeats

The Giants showed they had no bullpen last night. I haven't been following the Giants so I was surprised.

Yeah, the bullpen sucks. I knew when they went to the bullpen in the 9th it was trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, the bullpen sucks. I knew when they went to the bullpen in the 9th it was trouble.
    I must add that the Dodgers bullpen is not that great either. I think they used nine pitchers in losing to the Nationals on Monday.

--Yeats

Congrats, Cubbie fans. It's amazing what can happen with one swing of the bat! We'll see how Game 2 goes, but your guys got the job done tonight big-time.

--Yeats

that was pretty amazing

Our bullpen makes me nervous. I don't blame Chapman--he almost got out of a no out, bases loaded situation. But our 7th/8th inning options have not performed well lately.

they did it... they really did it. 4 more wins!

https://youtu.be/Ko58baUVstE

They are the team of destiny this year. (And it's about time.) Congrats to the Cubbies' fans and enjoy the World Series!

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-22-2016 at 11:54 PM.

--Yeats

Chicago and Cleveland are both such sympathetic teams. Too bad one will lose.

They are the team of destiny this year. (And it's about time.) Congrats to the Cubbies' fans and enjoy the World Series!

Thanks. Even up 3-2 I was still pretty nervous about having to beat either Kershaw or Hill one time. I'm still a little shocked about how easily game 6 came for the Cubs. I wonder if Kershaw finally kind of ran out of gas or if the Cubs were just especially dialed in. After the first inning it just felt like it was going to be the Cubs' night.

(And after the Utah-UCLA I am very grateful that the baseball game wasn't stressful, I'm not sure my nerves could have handled that).

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Addison Russell will rank #6 overall on the upcoming #BPTop50. That would give the #Cubs the #3, #5, #6, and #18 best prospects in MiLB. - baseball prospectus twet

2016 is shaping up as the start to a special run. Anthony Rizzo is having a breakout year and will continue to get better. The cubs will trade Starlin

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    I wrote this July 7th 2014!

Steve Bartman, come out of hiding my friend. U should throw the first pitch of the 2017 season and enjoy your 10 minute standing O.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Steve Bartman, come out of hiding my friend. U should throw the first pitch of the 2017 season and enjoy your 10 minute standing O.
    I am seriously curious what he must be thinking right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You hold onto that, MRD. Your baseball fan existence is now going to be explaining to others that you liked the Cubs before 2016, kinda like that lying Red Sox fan who shows up here once or twice a year.
    I don't have to explain to anyone. anyone who knows me knows I've been a cub fan forever.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    You hold onto that, MRD. Your baseball fan existence is now going to be explaining to others that you liked the Cubs before 2016, kinda like that lying Red Sox fan who shows up here once or twice a year.
    If anyone stumbled across this board and formed their opinion of you based on your posts I'm guessing they'd think you were one of the most angry and bitter persons to ever live

And the 2016 Cubs are the Red Sox West aren't they? Haha (Coming from a life long Red Sox fan)

Congrats to the Cubbies and their fans everywhere. It was just time. And what a 7th game! As I watched it I was glad I wasn't a fan of either team and could just enjoy the game without chewing one of my arms off.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-03-2016 at 05:28 AM.

--Yeats

I'm not a baseball fan at all (it's usually as boring as mom and apple pie) but I'll typically watch the WS. This series was terrific and what a game last night.

One of my best friends is from Chicago and a lifelong cubs fan. He was an absolute bear Sunday afternoon when I chatted with him. I got more into it on his behalf and decided to cheer for the Cubs. If the Cubs would have lost last night Joe Maddon would be destroyed for what he did with Chapman in game 6.

Fun times, great to witness history.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm not a baseball fan at all (it's usually as boring as mom and apple pie) but I'll typically watch the WS. This series was terrific and what a game last night.

One of my best friends is from Chicago and a lifelong cubs fan. He was an absolute bear Sunday afternoon when I chatted with him. I got more into it on his behalf and decided to cheer for the Cubs. If the Cubs would have lost last night Joe Maddon would be destroyed for what he did with Chapman in game 6.

Fun times, great to witness history.

Not only for what he did to Chapman, but what he did to Hendricks and Lester. IMHO, if Hendricks had finished that inning, no wild pitch, no two runs, and Hendricks would have been the winning pitcher.

Same with Arietta the night before.

As Thomas Boswell wrote, what Maddon did will be forgiven but not forgotten.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-03-2016 at 08:48 AM.