---------Jan 2012-----------------August 2012--------------November 2013
    Weight-----445----------------------416--------------------409
    Sugar -----116----------------------103---------------------103
    HDL-------18-----------------------32-----------------------37
    Total-----213-----------------------186----------------------194
    Trigly-----156-----------------------123---------------------92
    LDL -----can't remember------------129-----------------------147
    A1C-----5.8------------------------5.7-------------------not tested
    bp------148/75--------------------111/68--------------------130/88 (I was taking Claritin D at the time; it's come down since to about 125/70)
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Since I started swimming in Jan 2012.

---------Jan 2012-----------------August 2012--------------November 2013
    Weight-----445----------------------416--------------------409
    Sugar -----116----------------------103---------------------103
    HDL-------18-----------------------32-----------------------37
    Total-----213-----------------------186----------------------194
    Trigly-----156-----------------------123---------------------92
    LDL -----can't remember------------129-----------------------147
    A1C-----5.8------------------------5.7-------------------not tested
    bp------148/75--------------------111/68--------------------130/88 (I was taking Claritin D at the time; it's come down since to about 125/70)
    Awesome, Mac. A 40-lb weight loss is quite an accomplishment. Bravo!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Jarid is smoking us all. Show-off.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Jarid is smoking us all. Show-off.

I have been sick this week. It took some of the wind out of my sails. Being fat helps pad the totals on some of the exercises as well.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 12-07-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I have been sick this week. It took some of the wind out of my sails. Being fat helps pad the totals on some of the exercises as well.
    If being fat helps, I should be destroying you all. You're also putting in the work.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

finally updated my last month of workouts. i'm on the low end of what's going on here. I need to bump it up a notch.

An interesting article on what's called the Paleo diet.

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-los...d-and-the-ugly

--Yeats

I'm finally over a hellacious cold and final exams. I'll be back in the pool on Monday.

I swam a mile this morning. It took me over 90 minutes, but I did it. My right arm started hurting with about 10 laps to go, but I just pushed through it. I think a tendon was getting rubbed the wrong way. It only hurts when I move it, but I bet tomorrow morning is going to be fun. Right now, I AM STARVING. The idea of french fries and gravy is all I can think about.

Better go eat some fruit and a steak.

This whole thing fell apart for me in December. I had to work 60-80 hour weeks, got called as the Ward clerk during Tithing settlement, had all the family and seasonal events, and sprained an ankle and caught a nasty cold. Running on the beach in Hawaii seems like a lifetime ago, I don't feel like I could run a mile right now.

So now I get to be one of those New Years Resolution guys to get back into shape. Good thing is, I haven't really put on much weight.

I feel bad about putting this together and the dropping off so badly. Hopefully others have gotten more out of it than I have. If we do this again, I say we pool some funds and hire DevilDog to be our internet Drill Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    This whole thing fell apart for me in December. I had to work 60-80 hour weeks, got called as the Ward clerk during Tithing settlement, had all the family and seasonal events, and sprained an ankle and caught a nasty cold. Running on the beach in Hawaii seems like a lifetime ago, I don't feel like I could run a mile right now.

So now I get to be one of those New Years Resolution guys to get back into shape. Good thing is, I haven't really put on much weight.

I feel bad about putting this together and the dropping off so badly. Hopefully others have gotten more out of it than I have. If we do this again, I say we pool some funds and hire DevilDog to be our internet Drill Sergeant
    Hang in, chrisrenute. That's the key to fitness -- not giving up.

I haven't updated for a week or so - swallowed up in family stuff - but I'm still in the game.

--Yeats

Banned
    If we do this again, I say we pool some funds and hire DevilDog to be our internet Drill Sergeant
    Yeah... you don't want that.

NSFW

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=06d_1384454501

Well, this thread has been on life support. Time to revive it. I can report that I have been diligent, even though I've totally forgotten to record my efforts here. I've also gotten serious about my diet and have lost almost 10 pounds (now down to 236 from a dismal starting point just north of 245 ). So I'll be reporting here more often. I weigh myself every Saturday because that keeps me focused on longer-term goals. I plan to get back to my fighting weight of about 210-215.

NOTE: Chrisrenute, the spread sheet stops at January 31. Can you update it?

--Yeats

Well, this thread has been on life support. Time to revive it. I can report that I have been diligent, even though I've totally forgotten to record my efforts here. I've also gotten serious about my diet and have lost almost 10 pounds (now down to 236 from a dismal starting point just north of 245 ). So I'll be reporting here more often. I weigh myself every Saturday because that keeps me focused on longer-term goals. I plan to get back to my fighting weight of about 210-215.

NOTE: Chrisrenute, the spread sheet stops at January 31. Can you update it?
    Great job keeping up the effort. I rededicated myself to my efforts in February.

The original challenge was through the end of the year. My brother extended it through January because he wanted to continue tracking his "mileage" (which was mostly the calories he was converting from snowboarding). I'm happy to build it out through the rest of this year if anyone wants to continue tracking their efforts. I may break it into tabs instead of of extending the rows. I'll report back when it is ready.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

Great job keeping up the effort. I rededicated myself to my efforts in February.

The original challenge was through the end of the year. My brother extended it through January because he wanted to continue tracking his "mileage" (which was mostly the calories he was converting from snowboarding). I'm happy to build it out through the rest of this year if anyone wants to continue tracking their efforts. I may break it into tabs instead of of extending the rows. I'll report back when it is ready.
    I hate to see you go to all that effort. I didn't realize (notice?) the time-lited nature of this project. Maybe we should just go through the rest of the first quarter of 2014?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-22-2014 at 12:20 PM.

--Yeats

I hate to see you go to all that effort. I didn't realize (notice?) the time-lited nature of this project. Maybe we should just go through the rest of the first quarter of 2014?
    I have set the spreadsheet up through the rest of the year. It wasn't hard to do. Anyone is welcome to use it to track their mileage.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Wuap, are you able to do any swimming while you are in Costa Rica?

Wuap, are you able to do any swimming while you are in Costa Rica?
    No, other than a couple of weeks at the beginning of June, I will be out of the pool until August. But, never you fear, I live in an extraordinarily hilly town at 5,700 fasl, and I go out and walk every day enough to get out of breath. I've lost a little weight here, but I'm largely sitting at my computer writing every day. Come March, I'll be much more active.

Well, I've been diligent even though I'm not logging my efforts daily. Total weight loss now 16.0 lbs. Feeling good!

--Yeats

Just got my latest physical exam results. Cholesterol is 155, with LDL ("bad" cholesterol) at 93, and HDL ("good") at 46. Looks like I am going to live.

Weight loss at 25 lbs. Another 3-4 lbs. and I'll back where I want to be.

--Yeats

UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Congrats, that's quite a significant loss. What have you been eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I simply continued my exercise program, which was pretty good already, and emphasized fruits and veggies, whole grains, etc., while reducing needles fats and mostly eliminating stuff like ice cream and other high-fat, high-carb items. I used the Weight Watchers "Simple Start" booklet, which helps find tasty foods that will still help you lose, and encourages you to treat yourself regularly but intelligently. It was all pretty painless, I never felt deprived (a big problem with many weight loss efforts) and I lost about 2 lbs each week for 12 weeks. My goal is to just decide on a way of eating that I will stick with from now on. Easier said than done....
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.

--Yeats

I have been pretty good about training for my first sprint triathlon, coming up on the 10th. There have been a few mornings I haven't been able to get out of bed, but I'm out as planned about 90% of the time. I have even been taking it easy at our weekly Wednesday night basketball game, trying to make sure I avoid injury.

This wednesday, a church meeting went long, and I decided to skip basketball, partly glad that I wouldn't take a chance at spraining an ankle 10 days before the race. And I wanted to get out Thursday morning to get some running in.

On my Thursday morning run, 1/2 mile from home at 5:45 am, I stepped on a rock in the road and sprain my ankle. . I had to limp home the last 1/2 mile, and then the rest of the day at work.

Tomorrow I'll try to swim and bike on it, and hope I can start running on it again by Wednesday. I guess worst case for the race is I can do the swim and bike, and then walk the 5k course.

I have been pretty good about training for my first sprint triathlon, coming up on the 10th. There have been a few mornings I haven't been able to get out of bed, but I'm out as planned about 90% of the time. I have even been taking it easy at our weekly Wednesday night basketball game, trying to make sure I avoid injury.

This wednesday, a church meeting went long, and I decided to skip basketball, partly glad that I wouldn't take a chance at spraining an ankle 10 days before the race. And I wanted to get out Thursday morning to get some running in.

On my Thursday morning run, 1/2 mile from home at 5:45 am, I stepped on a rock in the road and sprain my ankle. . I had to limp home the last 1/2 mile, and then the rest of the day at work.

Tomorrow I'll try to swim and bike on it, and hope I can start running on it again by Wednesday. I guess worst case for the race is I can do the swim and bike, and then walk the 5k course.
    Argh. Hang in there and heal up fast. Maybe get some PT? A little ultrasound and the other magic they do might speed recovery.

--Yeats

You do have to remember my tender and sensitive feelings as you get on my case.
    Last edited by bestellen; 01-03-2018 at 02:39 AM.