Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UtahBy5 2013 Fitness Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    The pool is 25 meter. I did it all breast stroke(the only stroke I know real technique, my crawl looks more like I am drowning with style). I was knocking out 400 m roughly every 10 minutes, and felt like I could have gone another 800 meters without breaking pace. I found a good groove. This morning I did 1600 in 41 minutes, so I think I found a great cadence that is staying aerobic while maximizing speed. The race distance for the sprint-tri is 400 meters. I am hoping that I can shave my time on that to about 8 minutes on raceday (12/14)
    8 minutes for 400m of breaststroke would be as fast as I've ever seen anyone who didn't have the name of a country on their suit swim that distance. I hope you're able to pull it off. I don't know much about distance running and bike riding, but I know that sometimes I like to swim 50 yards of breaststroke because I get to breathe more often and I don't feel as exhausted after a lap. However, if I try and swim all breaststroke, when I'm done, my arms ache like I had a burnout workout with weights.

Again, congrats.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

I started with myfitnespal 4 weeks ago with the goal of losing 10 pounds and going from 205 to 195. I have lost 4 lbs and my fitness pal really has helped me to cut out calories that I don't need and to be more consistent in my exercise. I try to get to the gym twice a week and get a good hike in 4-6 miles twice a week. As the snow flies I will substitute Bikram Yoga (toughest workout ever) for the hikes.

I made some small updates to the spreadsheet. I moved UTEopia's row up so it will be included in the group total, and added monthly totals at the far bottom right.

Looking at the results, I'm wondering what mileage we can make it to in November. We were at 629 in October, but didn't have any contributions from Dwight, UTEopia, or Sysiphus, and just a taste of Jared's already impressive mileage. Could we make 1000 miles, with 11 active participants? It may be a bit of a stretch goal. Right now we are on pace for about 800 miles in November, but I think some folks may have some miles to enter from past days.

I was on a cruise ship last week and couldn't take the 85 degree days when we were ashore to run very long. I hope to have a couple of long runs this week.

101.6F fever last night, I cancelled class and slept 12 hours. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle for Monday.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    101.6F fever last night, I cancelled class and slept 12 hours. Hopefully, I'll be back in the saddle for Monday.
    Here's hoping for your quick healing and getting your energy back quickly.

Your consistency has been impressive. Do you have a pull at the school that you use? I'm trying to figure out how to fit some swimming into my schedule. The nearest pool is a few miles away, and I'm thinking I'll get up early before work, swim, and then have my clothes there and shower and change and go straight to work.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Here's hoping for your quick healing and getting your energy back quickly.

Your consistency has been impressive. Do you have a pull at the school that you use? I'm trying to figure out how to fit some swimming into my schedule. The nearest pool is a few miles away, and I'm thinking I'll get up early before work, swim, and then have my clothes there and shower and change and go straight to work.
    The YMCA is about 1000 feet from my office, so it's not part of campus, but it's catty corner to it. I teach at 9AM MWF and 8AM TTh. I go at 7:30 on MWF and swim until 8:30ish. Then I shower, dress, and walk to work. It usually leaves me feeling energized for the day.

The biggest food holiday of the year is about a week away. The American Council on Fitness says that the average American consumes 3,000 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving.

“A 160 lb. person would have to run at a moderate pace for four hours, swim for five hours or walk 30 miles to burn off a 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving Day meal,” said Dr. Cedric Bryant, ACE chief exercise physiologist. “Many people start by snacking throughout the day and that combined with the meal can lead to a total caloric intake of 4,500. All holiday delicacies can be enjoyed so long as they’re eaten in moderation and combined with a proper exercise plan.”

I think Jarid might need that many calories per day based on his miles this month, but the rest of us probably don't. Keep up the workouts to allow yourself a guilt-free Thanksgiving meal.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-19-2013 at 01:26 PM.

The biggest food holiday of the year is about a week away. The American Council on Fitness says that the average American consumes 3,000 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving.

“A 160 lb. person would have to run at a moderate pace for four hours, swim for five hours or walk 30 miles to burn off a 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving Day meal,” said Dr. Cedric Bryant, ACE chief exercise physiologist. “Many people start by snacking throughout the day and that combined with the meal can lead to a total caloric intake of 4,500. All holiday delicacies can be enjoyed so long as they’re eaten in moderation and combined with a proper exercise plan.”

I think Jarid might need that many calories per day based on his miles this month, but the rest of us probably don't. Keep up the workouts to allow yourself a guilt-free Thanksgiving meal.

I hope that moderating Thanksgiving will pair well with my caloric burn
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I ended my run today in the best way I can possibly think of; taking off my shoes and walking along the beach with my wife,while the warm Hawaii ocean soothed my tired feet.

I've been absent but have not updated my stats. Just wanted you all to know I am still in the game with you.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I've been absent but have not updated my stats. Just wanted you all to know I am still in the game with you.
    Good to hear. I was starting to wonder if your knee problems mentioned in the other thread had put you on the sidelines.

Good to hear. I was starting to wonder if your knee problems mentioned in the other thread had put you on the sidelines.
    No, it's just work that swallowed me up for a while.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I really pushed it this morning. I dropped my personal best in 2/3 mile from 58 minutes to 51 minutes. Then I swam an extra lap and a half for a new distance record of 25 1/2 laps.

I really pushed it this morning. I dropped my personal best in 2/3 mile from 58 minutes to 51 minutes. Then I swam an extra lap and a half for a new distance record of 25 1/2 laps.

--Yeats

Assuming a 25 meter pool, based on that many laps, you are going 1200 meters(24 laps), which is 3/4 mile.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

2200 meters today in 57 minutes.
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Assuming a 25 meter pool, based on that many laps, you are going 1200 meters(24 laps), which is 3/4 mile.
    I wish. It's a confirmed 25 yard pool. But! If I hadn't had to have gone to teach, I'm confident I could've done the mile without stopping. Swimming has changed my life.

I'm trying to lose 15 lbs. I think if i reduce my "mild barley drink" consumption by 50%, I can get about 10 lbs in a few months. My issue is I need to get my heart rate at consistently high levels and it's too darn dangerous to ride my bike where I live and I have bad knees, so running is kind of a waste. I get bored at the gym but I'm thinking of swimming, instead.

I am super late to this party. I am going to start Monday. I don't really need to lose any weight. Maybe 5 pounds for vanity sake. I would just like to track what I am doing every day. I lift a lot of weights but I am not sure the names of the exercises I do. Does anybody know where I can find this so I can track my weight lifting. And do I really have to tell how much I weigh? :P

Quote Originally Posted by LadyUte View Post
    I am super late to this party. I am going to start Monday. I don't really need to lose any weight. Maybe 5 pounds for vanity sake. I would just like to track what I am doing every day. I lift a lot of weights but I am not sure the names of the exercises I do. Does anybody know where I can find this so I can track my weight lifting. And do I really have to tell how much I weigh? :P
    Only doofuses like me post their weight here. No need to do that. I did it to put pressure I'm myself. I don't expect to see a lot of progress in that regard until after the new year, frankly. But once I get going you guys will be impressed, mark my words!

--Yeats

I don't want to mess anything up on the spreadsheet. Just posting that I'll need to add 6.73 for this morning. Holy crap, though! I was dragging BAAAAADLY this morning, though I was pleased that my weight was within a 10th of a pound of what it was Monday before Thanksgiving.

Are we missing December on the log sheet, or am I just unable to find it?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Are we missing December on the log sheet, or am I just unable to find it?
    Just have to unhide the columns. I do it when I get home, I can't access google docs for my work computer, and working with the spreadsheet on my phone is impossible.

Just have to unhide the columns. I do it when I get home, I can't access google docs for my work computer, and working with the spreadsheet on my phone is impossible.
    Obrigado pela ajuda.

I have hidden November's columns, and unhidden December. If you want to still put in miles for days in November, select columns D and AI, right click, and select Unhide.

Jared was the run (swim, and bike) away mileage winner in November. Eldiente and Eldo had great months as well, and Waup and LA remained very consistent. We beat October's total miles by 230 miles.

The 1488 miles so far could allow one to travel from SLC to Ann Arbor MI, with a side trip to Sandusky OH for a day at Cedar Point.
    Sorry Waup, 1488 miles from Hartsville will only get you to the middle of Kansas, South Dakota, or Minnesota. No place that I could find interesting.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 12-02-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Ooh i need in on this.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Ooh i need in on this.
    Come on in, the water is fine!

--Yeats

When we first got married, and I had a lot going on at age 25, I'd list all of the things I had to do, and then I'd through a "I'm gonna be 40" in for comedic effect. My wife and I would laugh in the face of old age the way only the young can do. But, damned if 40 hasn't arrived like a thief in the night.

When we first got married, and I had a lot going on at age 25, I'd list all of the things I had to do, and then I'd through a "I'm gonna be 40" in for comedic effect. My wife and I would laugh in the face of old age the way only the young can do. But, damned if 40 hasn't arrived like a thief in the night.
    If you keep calling me Viejo now....

--Yeats