Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If a Tree Falls in Rice-Eccles Stadium, 2013: Utah vs. Stanford

If a Tree Falls in Rice-Eccles Stadium, 2013: Utah vs. Stanford

Utah has a little extra time to get ready for #5 Stanford as it tries to put UCLA behind it. Kickoff is set for 4:00 PM, MT on Saturday 10/12.

Stanford is currently getting ready to take on #15 Washington in a big Pac 12 showdown. I like the fact that we're sandwiched in between Washington and UCLA for them. Could be ripe for an upset if we can cut down the turnovers and improve our run defense.

Just getting this thread kicked off as we look forward to next week.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Great thread title.

The game plan for the Pac-12 vs us is certain - blitz like mad. I think Stanford won't have to send more than 5 on most plays. Stanford faces their first good defense this week - should be interesting.

I think the Utes are very close to being very good. I fear that we are also very close to falling into mediocrity. Stanford is a big test.

Hopefully Travis kicks whatever bug he has and is healthy by the 12th

Love the thread title.

I don't think Stanford will boat race us. We'll be in the game but will lose by 10 or less. Then again, crazy things do happen. I'd love to have to eat this post 9 days from now.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Why can't we beat Stanford? It's not like their athletes are that much better than ours. We match up well. We have to win the turnover battle.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Why can't we beat Stanford? It's not like their athletes are that much better than ours. We match up well. We have to win the turnover battle.
    I heard a lot of pretty convincing analysis of our O-line's performance against UCLA. If those problems are fixable, we have a chance. I don't know if they are. Thoughts, anyone?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I heard a lot of pretty convincing analysis of our O-line's performance against UCLA. If those problems are fixable, we have a chance. I don't know if they are. Thoughts, anyone?
    Most games are won or lost in the trenches and that has been true for the Utes. Our DL vs. UCLA OL was a push. UCLA DL clearly outplayed our OL. I think we will have a hard time winning either side of this battle against Stanford. I don't think it is a problem of x's and o's as much as it is a problem of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Most games are won or lost in the trenches and that has been true for the Utes. Our DL vs. UCLA OL was a push. UCLA DL clearly outplayed our OL. I think we will have a hard time winning either side of this battle against Stanford. I don't think it is a problem of x's and o's as much as it is a problem of talent.
    Hans Olson was saying that the UCLA d-line and LBs were rushing the inside gaps on the Utah tackles. (Not sure I heard him right.) He seemed to be wondering why that happened. If that's just technique, great, but if you're right it is just talent.

--Yeats

Hans Olson was saying that the UCLA d-line and LBs were rushing the inside gaps on the Utah tackles. (Not sure I heard him right.) He seemed to be wondering why that happened. If that's just technique, great, but if you're right it is just talent.

I haven't re-watched the game, but Hans knows what he is talking about. My guess is that the OT were afraid that the speed of the defenders would allow them to speed rush to the outside and they tried to combat that by taking deeper and quicker drops leaving themselves more vulnerable to a fake to the outside and then a strong inside move. It speaks to the athleticism of the defenders and the reality that our tackles are a little short for the position, 6'2" and 6'4" and not as athletic as the opponent. It is also a question of experience. Both of our tackles are young in age and experience and they were going against older, more experienced players. I don't think our guys will get any taller, but hopefully they will be better as they gain experience.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This is obviously Stanford's secret of success. That O-line is dominant, and the pass rush is brutal. Nothing special in the WRs, RBs, CBs, etc. Not sure about the QB.

Utah sitting at 7 in the Pac 12 Power rankings:

7. Utah: No, Utes, it doesn't get any easier with Stanford coming to town. The big issue will be how well QB Travis Wilson bounces back after a six-interception game in their tough loss to UCLA. The Cardinal defense is not typically the sort that sends a get-well card.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So does Stanford now have a chip on its shoulder because they won a game they probably should have lost? Or are they ripe for an upset because they will look ahead to UCLA?

• Stanford is coming off a tough, emotional game against Washington, who beat them last year, and has UCLA next week.
    • Utah finally has all of the pieces to compete, is playing very well, and is hungry for a statement win.
    • Stanford's style matches our style. It will be a battle of wills.
    • Wilson is looking for some redemption.

I smell the potential for a trap game for Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    • Stanford is coming off a tough, emotional game against Washington, who beat them last year, and has UCLA next week.
    • Utah finally has all of the pieces to compete, is playing very well, and is hungry for a statement win.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

I wish that I could agree with this statement. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing us score vs. Stanford this Saturday. I think that other than Dres, we will have an extremely difficult time with getting receivers open down field. We desperately miss Kenneth Scott right now other than Dres, our wideouts struggle getting open. Even Dres had a difficult time getting open vs. Ucla down field. He made big plays when he got the ball at or near the line of scrimmage. Stanford IMO has a better secondary than the Buirns do. I also see our offensive line struggling with a big physical Stanford front 7. I hope I am wrong.

Yeah, I heard about this on Saturday. Sounds like he was pretty sick until just a couple days before the game. And on top of that, I also heard that he was pretty emotionally taxed with the UCLA player who had died, who Wilson was apparently pretty close friends with and attended his funeral during the bye week. My buddy said that Wilson was even wearing the UCLA patch that the UCLA team had on to honor his buddy.

I don't know how heavily it affected him, but I think the sickness coupled with everything else probably took its toll.

Hopefully he'll be on his feet and in prime condition for an upset this Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I wish that I could agree with this statement. Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing us score vs. Stanford this Saturday. I think that other than Dres, we will have an extremely difficult time with getting receivers open down field. We desperately miss Kenneth Scott right now other than Dres, our wideouts struggle getting open. Even Dres had a difficult time getting open vs. Ucla down field. He made big plays when he got the ball at or near the line of scrimmage. Stanford IMO has a better secondary than the Buirns do. I also see our offensive line struggling with a big physical Stanford front 7. I hope I am wrong.
    I don't have the eye for football that you do, but from what I've heard, in the second half against UCLA our receivers couldn't get open because of the Bruins' pass rush, which gave Wilson little time to throw and allowed their DBs to press our receivers, who didn't have time to get separation. Does that seem right to you? If so, it could be a long day against Stanford, who will try to do all game long what UCLA did in the second half.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-07-2013 at 04:06 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SheriffCreg View Post
    Yeah, I heard about this on Saturday. Sounds like he was pretty sick until just a couple days before the game. And on top of that, I also heard that he was pretty emotionally taxed with the UCLA player who had died, who Wilson was apparently pretty close friends with and attended his funeral during the bye week. My buddy said that Wilson was even wearing the UCLA patch that the UCLA team had on to honor his buddy.

I don't know how heavily it affected him, but I think the sickness coupled with everything else probably took its toll.

Hopefully he'll be on his feet and in prime condition for an upset this Saturday.
    He actually got sick Wednesday night and was in bed all day Thursday. He's been in bed since, although Whit was hopeful he'd practice today.

The UCLA player was actually Travis' best friend, they'd grown up together

Per Dale on twitter, Jake played second half with a broken wrist. Surgery today. Hostile would knows better, but this is most likely a season ender.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Per Dale on twitter, Jake played second half with a broken wrist. Surgery today. Hostile would knows better, but this is most likely a season ender.
    What rotten news. Makes me love the guy for almost making that terrific catch with a broken wrist.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Depends on what bone was broken. Surgery, in general, puts you out 6 weeks minimum. If it was the scaphoid he'll be out longer. I suspect this will be the last we see him this year.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Depends on what bone was broken. Surgery, in general, puts you out 6 weeks minimum. If it was the scaphoid he'll be out longer. I suspect this will be the last we see him this year.
    Thanks. It was good seeing you Thursday night. I now know why I didn't remember you from medical school when we met last year: Your hair was short and you didn't have your ski cap on.

This year, you were back in character!
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

No. 5 Stanford (5-0, 3-0) at Utah (3-2, 0-2) 6 p.m. Pac-12 Network: Stanford leads the series 3-2, but this will be the teams’ first meetings with the Utes being Pac-12 members. Utah won the most recent game 17-10 at Stanford in 1996, but the Utes are 0-2 against Stanford in Salt Lake City. In the last meeting Utah’s defense, under the direction of then-defensive coordinator Kyle Whittingham, shut out the Cardinal for three and a half quarters in a 17-10 win. The Utes led 17-0 entering the fourth quarter. Juan Johnson rushed for 114 yards and Jeff Kaufusi had two sacks to lead the Utes. Since joining the Pac-12 in 2011, Utah is 0-4 against ranked conference opponents and 1-4 overall (the win was against No. 25 BYU in 2012). Stanford and Utah both average 39 points per game. Utah leads the Pac-12 with 18 sacks. Stanford has yielded just five, second fewest in the conference. Utah has forced just six turnovers. Stanford has forced seven. Those are the two lowest totals in the Pac-12. Stanford and Utah are tied for first in the Pac-12 in red zone offense. The Utes have 12 TDs in 18 red zone trips. The Cardinal has 11 in the same number of penetrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    By "being able to compete", I meant in the context of the PAC-12 in general, not with the top teams in the PAC-12. I still think it will take a bit of Stanford overlooking us for us to win this game.

For some context, I don't think we would win two years ago even if they did overlook us.

I was just about to type that we need a big game from Jake Murphy. Sounds like he's out. That's a bummer and I wish him well, poor kid just keeps getting hurt.

Time for Fitzgerald and Tonga to step it up and make some big plays over the middle so we can keep Skov honest against the pass.

OLine needs to give Travis time so plays can develop. That's going to be huge.

Can we send another tight end, a kid that had originally signed with USC?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I was just about to type that we need a big game from Jake Murphy. Sounds like he's out. That's a bummer and I wish him well, poor kid just keeps getting hurt.

Time for Fitzgerald and Tonga to step it up and make some big plays over the middle so we can keep Skov honest against the pass.

OLine needs to give Travis time so plays can develop. That's going to be huge.
    Tonga is questionable at best, wasn't in uniform for UCLA

I don't have the eye for football that you do, but from what I've heard, in the second half against UCLA our receivers couldn't get open because of the Bruins' pass rush, which gave Wilson little time to throw and allowed their DBs to press our receivers, who didn't have time to get separation. Does that seem right to you? If so, it could be a long day against Stanford, who will try to do all game long what UCLA did in the second half.
    I think it is a combination of a good rush and that we simply lack guys who have the speed or quickness to gain separation.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

So does that mean we see more 4 wr or 2 rb sets? It seems like we saw more 4 wr sets last week than we have all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I have it on pretty good authority that Tonga is not playing this week. Unfortunately, we might not see him for the rest of the season as well.

Is this the week we finally see what Andre Lewis can do?