Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct 2013 conference thread

Oct 2013 conference thread

Here we go

no temples announced this morning

"What is said is not as important as what I hear and what I feel." -- Elder Hales

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

for some reason Dieter F seems like the most interesting man in church leadership.

Oct 2103 conference thread

Been looking forward to the President Uchtdorf talk. He begins as usual with a great story.

His discussion of why people leave the church is very important and will be quoted repeatedly in the future. The acknowledgment that sometimes imperfect people in the church make mistakes is terrific. We are watching a landmark moment right now. I don't think I've ever heard anything like this in my life in General Conference.

"In spite of this the eternal truth of the gospel...is not tarnished, diminished or destroyed."

"My dear friends, there is still a place for you here."

Nurture "the seed of faith in the sometimes sandy soil of doubt."

"Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith."

"If you could see into our hearts you would see that you fit in better then you suppose."

This is one talk that left me choked up. Maybe because I know and love so many people who have left. I hope all of them watch or read this talk.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2013 at 11:51 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Uchtdorf Oct 2013 GC

Uchtdorf's talk was absolutely amazing. Gonna commit that one to memory. Very moving, comprehensive and understanding.
    "But I tried didn't I? ... at least I did that."

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    for some reason Dieter F seems like the most interesting man in church leadership.
    I have to agree.

--Yeats

--Yeats

Gift Nielson's talk was great. That guy has some energy.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Oct 2103 conference thread

Heartfelt and personal. Very wise counsel about the mental infirmities that we or our loved ones suffer from. That's going into the memory bank too.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2013 at 04:52 PM.

I actually believe that Uchtdorf speaks for God. The others, my heart in the highlands on any given Sunday about them, but Uchtdorf.......the Force is strong with that one.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

priesthood DF Uchtdorf went yard again.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaute View Post
    priesthood DF Uchtdorf went yard again.
    The guy's amazing.

--Yeats

We enjoyed Uchtdorf's talk. We are hopeful that there will be a place for reformed Mormons like us one day. We believe in god and try to be good people. We love our heritage and the faith of our fathers. We support the church around the world.

But there is no place for us right now within Mormonism's current tent. I wish there were and we hope this will change.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    I actually believe that Uchtdorf speaks for God. The others, my heart in the highlands on any given Sunday about them, but Uchtdorf.......the Force is strong with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    We enjoyed Uchtdorf's talk. We are hopeful that there will be a place for reformed Mormons like us one day. We believe in god and try to be good people. We love our heritage and the faith of our fathers. We support the church around the world.

But there is no place for us right now within Mormonism's current tent. I wish there were and we hope this will change.
    I sincerely hope they will find a way to let Uchtdorf skip to the top spot after Monson passes away. DU brings nothing but love and acceptance, and leaves the judgemental attitudes in the dustbin where they belong. He would hopefully lead the church of our heritage to a more inclusive, Big Tent mormonism, where we can all have a home.

The LDS church is desperately in need of a strong voice from outside of the Jello Belt. Uchtdorf is the medicine they need, while I fear Bednar is just a younger version of Packer the aggressively closed-minded Grizzly Bear.

(FWIW, the way the numbers work out we can expect to see Bednar in the top spot for over 20 years)
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 10-06-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Monson

What an amazing tribute to his wife and his service as an Apostle

I remember when watching General Conference didn't piss me off. Oaks, Cook, and Andersen have destroyed any goodwill that Uchtdorf built yesterday.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

I remember when watching General Conference didn't piss me off. Oaks, Cook, and Andersen have destroyed any goodwill that Uchtdorf built yesterday.
    Sorry, wuap.

--Yeats

"To all those who struggle with supporting your church leaders, we have a message for you..."

Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 10-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Very contradictory conference with the messages from oaks et al. as opposed to uchtdorf. I can't wait to hear how they spin it.

I personally got guidance, encouragement and inspiration I specifically needed from the talks by Presidents Uchtdorf (both of them) and Eyring (again, both talks), Elders Suarez (sp?), Hales, and Holland. President Monson's talk this morning hit me as hard as any talk by a church president ever has. ("I will not fail thee nor forsake thee.") I didn't hear Sunday afternoon. I think the Oaks and Uchtdorf talks are easily reconcilable. People may be reading too much into both talks.

This is just me, but when I approach Conference as a source of inspiration it really works for me. When I am instead listening for shifts in policy and trying to decide whether I agree with a speaker's statements on such matters, not so much. That would probably be true of any church, it seems to me.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-06-2013 at 10:53 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe y'all can elaborate. I don't fully understand the negative feelings on these talks. Was it just the stuff about marriage?

I really enjoyed the conference and don't see anything contradictory in the messages given.
    Cook said something like, "I applaud the contributions of women in every field, BUT if you don't behave like my grandma did, then a pox upon you and your kin to the -nth generation"

Oaks drops sociology on us to defend the church's position on marriage while failing to note that the data he's giving is precisely because WOMEN now have the ability to make decisions for how they want to live outside the agriculture-society patriarchy to which the Brethren cling so tenaciously.

Then comes Elder Andersen with "Women don't need the priesthood because I God said so." The analogy of men opening the drapes to let the light in was especially patronizing because it just reinforces the circular logic he was throwing down throughout the entire talk. The church also completely misuses the word gender. Their insistence on using it to mean "sex" is incorrect, and wrong, because even in homosexual relationships, there can be differing genders among equal phenotypes. I nailed it here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/mac-w...51586882586095

Elder Oaks said that a "moral coward" doesn't act when he knows he should. Right back at you, Dallin.

I'm really struggling with calling myself LDS at this point. Mormon? Sure. But, LDS? I just don't know any more.

I'll listen to the talks, wuap.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll listen to the talks, wuap.
    When you do, think about this:

I think it's far healthier to remove ourselves from the ideologies of both sides (in as much as that's possible) and view the LDS ideological view of homosexuals and homosexual sex as an attempt to patch up the inconsistency of our own ideological system. What does that mean? We have a conundrum. If we have agency, if we are children of our Heavenly Father--created in his image, and if we are created with temptations that make us feel flawed for life, how then can a just God expect us to obey all of the commandments and yet find happiness in this life? How does our ideology address the children born with ambiguous genitalia, with both sets of genitalia, and those who have ovaries inside but a penis and no vagina? We're reminded of Packer's famous now-redacted conference question of "Why would a loving God make them that way?" The consequences of this hole in our ideology, this unanswerable question in the face of the prophetic declaration that "gender is eternal," demonstrate an inconsistency, and therefore, we're left with an ideology that doesn't ultimately provide a logical answer to the knowledge that it lacks--and the consequences that stem from that absence of knowledge.

I personally got guidance, encouragement and inspiration I specifically needed from the talks by Presidents Uchtdorf (both of them) and Eyring (again, both talks), Elders Suarez (sp?), Hales, and Holland. President Monson's talk this morning hit me as hard as any talk by a church president ever has. ("I will not fail thee nor forsake thee.") I didn't hear Sunday afternoon. I think the Oaks and Uchtdorf talks are easily reconcilable. People may be reading too much into both talks.

This is just me, but when I approach Conference as a source of inspiration it really works for me. When I am instead listening for shifts in policy and trying to decide whether I agree with a speaker's statements on such matters, not so much. That would probably be true of any church, it seems to me.

I thought of a DU's talk when I read Ross Douthot's column about Pope Francis yesterday. There may be a parallel between the LDS church and NY Jews. Everybody is either very orthodox or become inactive altogether; the center has trouble holding (admittedly, a Mormon center is still very right of mainstream center). I thought D.U., like Pop Francis, is trying to hold or grow the center, which he can do because he is not American and does not carry all the political baggage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/op...t&emc=rss&_r=0

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I thought of a DU's talk when I read Ross Douthot's column about Pope Francis yesterday. There may be a parallel between the LDS church and NY Jews. Everybody is either very orthodox or become inactive altogether; the center has trouble holding (admittedly, a Mormon center is still very right of mainstream center). I thought D.U., like Pop Francis, is trying to hold or grow the center, which he can do because he is not American and does not carry all the political baggage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/op...t&emc=rss&_r=0
    We're seeing a lot about Pope Francis and Pres. Uchtdorf. I think there is more of a continuum in LDS belief, and where one sits on the continuum depends both on cultural issues (drinking caffeinated drinks, for example) and doctrinal issues (women and the priesthood, same-sex marriage, etc.). Even among Orthodox Jews there are gradients -- e.g., some people are more kosher than others. There are plenty of Mormons who are not strictly orthodox but still participate actively in the church.

--Yeats

Cook said something like, "I applaud the contributions of women in every field, BUT if you don't behave like my grandma did, then a pox upon you and your kin to the -nth generation"

Oaks drops sociology on us to defend the church's position on marriage while failing to note that the data he's giving is precisely because WOMEN now have the ability to make decisions for how they want to live outside the agriculture-society patriarchy to which the Brethren cling so tenaciously.

Then comes Elder Andersen with "Women don't need the priesthood because I God said so." The analogy of men opening the drapes to let the light in was especially patronizing because it just reinforces the circular logic he was throwing down throughout the entire talk. The church also completely misuses the word gender. Their insistence on using it to mean "sex" is incorrect, and wrong, because even in homosexual relationships, there can be differing genders among equal phenotypes. I nailed it here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/mac-w...51586882586095

Elder Oaks said that a "moral coward" doesn't act when he knows he should. Right back at you, Dallin.

I'm really struggling with calling myself LDS at this point. Mormon? Sure. But, LDS? I just don't know any more.
    Hang in there. It is a great institution but you just have to define your own...personal...Mormonism.

Hang in there. It is a great institution but you just have to define your own...personal...Mormonism.
    Yeah, but at some point reconciling the brand with the branding on my person is difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He's the Miggy Cabrera of apostles. All he does is hit home runs.

Though I'd have to say the entire Quorum of the Twelve brought their A-game yesterday. Great talks all around.

Not sure who the others are? This sounds like a good way to waste 20 minutes this morning:

Elder Bednar = Ichiro. Efficient and all business. Throw you out at home without blinking.
    Elder Perry = Derek Jeter. Doubles hitter with occasional unforgettable moments. Impossible not to like him.
    President Monson = Tommy Lasorda. A people's coach with a huge bank of amusing stories. A winner.
    Elder Packer = Joe Mauer. Tough as nails. Calls a great game from behind home plate. Takes a lot of abuse from opponents.
    Elder Oaks = Mariano Rivera. Consistent quality.
    Elder Holland = Justin Verlander. Brings the heat with an occasional vicious change up.
    Elder Nelson = Clayton Kershaw. A surgeon.
    Elder Scott = Andy Pettitte. The stare-down. He'll look into your soul.
    Elder Anderson = Jose Fernandez. ROY candidate overshadowed by more outspoken/dramatic candidate.
    Elder Eyring = Joe Torre. Just loves the game. Loves his team.
    Elder Christofferson = Manny Machado. Best defensive player in baseball.
    Elder Ballard = Jerry Hairston. Best utility infielder in baseball. Will take on any assignment.
    Elder Hales = Roy Halladay. A soft-spoken star.
    This was pretty funny, sancho. Now I've got to go see what Elder Scott has said about forgiveness for taking PEDs.
    But I think Packer is Ty Cobb. Oaks is starting to look like Mantle - stumbling around at the tail end of his career. He has a great legacy, but I wonder if he'll damage it with some of his recent strong remarks.

We're seeing a lot about Pope Francis and Pres. Uchtdorf.
    I wonder if, to some extent, there is a connection to be drawn between both being cultural and geographic outsiders to an entrenched ecclesiastic culture. I strongly suspect that Uchtdorf is more liberal, socially minded than others in the Q12 because of his upbringing. I wonder to what extent the more hardline stances from his quorum-mates bother him.

This is good advice, Viking. Good luck, wuap. Oaks has inspired me to avoid moral cowardice, although he would probably disagree with the morals I plan to defend more outspokenly.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

If someone misrepresents what another person says, am I supposed to take that someone seriously?

If you disagree, fine. If you think what they said was too hardline for your taste, okay. But misprepresenation serves no one.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 10-08-2013 at 12:52 AM.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant