Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

TDs on 7 consecutive drives for PSU. Shot of sad Stevie T moping on the sideline wishing he had played in the Foster Farms.

Can you imagine the outcry had OSU been in PSU's position and not made the playoff?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Shot of sad Stevie T moping on the sideline wishing he had played in the Foster Farms.
    Shot of sad sancho wishing he were still watching the Foster Farms.

It's probably not a coincidence that the three best coaches in the Pac-12 (Whitt, Shaw, and Petersen) are also the three calmest coaches in the Pac-12.....

Until KW seals the deal, I wouldn't put him in the same class as Shaw and Petersen. He's a lifer and will end up as a legend at Utah, but, he's still a rung below Shaw and Pete.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

What do you think sonny dykes did? He's not chip kelly?
    Last edited by concerned; 01-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What do you think sonny dykes did? He's not chip kelly?
    Chip Kelly suddenly being without steady employment perhaps plays into this?

Cal probably won't even need to pay relocation expenses..

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Chip Kelly suddenly being without steady employment perhaps plays into this?

Cal probably won't even need to pay relocation expenses..
    Wilner seems to think Chip would have no interest in the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I wonder if fleck wishes he had waited a few days.

I wonder if fleck wishes he had waited a few days.

At the bowl game I took some time to tour both Cal and Stanford. I'm kind of a college junkie and have a habit of checking out college campuses and towns, with a special visit to their baseball field. Berkeley is probably one of the scummiest college towns I've visited. The campus is ok, but the town? Pretty bad. Surprised me a bit.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Probably correct.

I think Justin Wilcox might have a shot. He was DC at Boise and at UW, and now is the DC at Wisconsin.

I am in the Portland airport. If any of you want me to buy you some Ducks gear...you can forget it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am in the Portland airport. If any of you want me to buy you some Ducks gear...you can forget it.
    Can't believe there isn't beaver gear everywhere. They went to a rose bowl once and have a good baseball team.

Oregon gets someone from the Alabama program that is considered one of the best recruiters in the country.

http://www.csnnw.com/oregon-ducks/ma...alabama-oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Oregon gets someone from the Alabama program that is considered one of the best recruiters in the country.

http://www.csnnw.com/oregon-ducks/ma...alabama-oregon

That's a specious claim. How hard is it to recruit to Alabama?

Adoree Jackson is going pro! Don't include the Tim Patrick TD catch on your highlight package, Adoree!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Adoree Jackson is going pro! Don't include the Tim Patrick TD catch on your highlight package, Adoree!
    Who was it that tossed Domo like a rag doll? Was that Adore or JuJu?
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

JuJu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The best.

https://youtu.be/ILAV4LPpjSE

Hear on the radio this morning:

Paul Finebaum (the SEC homer) ripped Jim Harbaugh yesterday fro trying to hire Michael Johnson as an assistant coach, because Johnson's son is one of the highest rated qb's in the class of 2019. Said it was unethical, etc. (even though it happens all the time, esp. in basketball, and Johsnon is a former oc at UCLA and pro coach). Harbaugh tweeted back at Finebaum calling him "Pete," and they generally got into it.

The significance? While they were yelling back and forth, yesterday Johnson became the wide receivers coach at Oregon.

Ha ha. So smart of Oregon. I don't like a lot of what Oregon does, but they do a lot of things really, really well. Having Nike definitely helps, but you then have to go and do something with those resources. There are a lot of teams with tons of resources that don't do much.

Harbaugh is starting to enter into that realm.

He did rebuild Stanford, and he deserves all the credit for that.

BUT, he's never won a conference title. He had the most experienced talent in the country last year and couldn't even make the playoffs. Does he have a big win, other than USC in 2009? He had a dominant SF team and he benched Smith for Kaepernick, possibly costing his team two superbowls.

The man is Trump in football form. Well, at least Harbaugh did do really good things at Stanford, even though he could never close the deal.

Harbaugh seems to be the kind of guy that can build things quickly, but people tire of him before he can ever finish what he started.

Finally, why would Harbaugh need to do something like this? He isn't at Stanford or BYU (and when I say Stanford, I mean Stanford pre-Harbaugh. Stanford doesn't need gimicks like this anymore. Stanford is edging on becoming a national powerhouse). He is at freaking Michigan. He can take whoever he wants. One kid isn't going to make or break you, like it might at BYU. He doesn't need to do stuff like this.

He will end up with a top 10 class no matter what. Then, it is up to coaching to make that top 10 class into a top 10 football team. Then, you pray for a little luck with scheduling and injuries and hope you become a top 4 football team.

thought this was interesting from Ted Miller

Peter from Auburn, Washington, writes:
    The program arcs of the Pac-12 South's 2011-12 coaching hires (Jim Mora/UCLA, Rich Rodriguez/Arizona, Todd Graham/Arizona State) seem remarkably similar. Each took over a losing team from 2011, turned the program around, peaking in a 2014 season in which all three won 10 games, then took a step back in 2015 before a 2016 season in which all three declined further, each missing a bowl game for the first time in his tenure. What do you think the likelihood is that their arcs remain the same, and if so, which direction might that be? How plausible is it that all three will be fired/resign by the end of 2017?

Ted Miller: It's notable that the program arcs are even more aligned than in your observations about the three coaches in question. Each of these three teams would be hiring its fifth head coach since 2000 if it made a change after the 2017 season.

Hmm. Extrapolate as you will on that factoid.

I'd be surprised if all three are fired/resign/leave at the end of the season. But I wouldn't be surprised if one of the three isn't back in 2018. In fact, my perhaps jaded expectation is that some turnover is likely among that troika, in large part because inhabiting the same division means that -- 2014 notwithstanding -- one's success probably comes at the others' expense.

That's the coaching profession. It's not easy to rebuild a struggling program, but it's far more difficult to sustain excellence, particularly when said program isn't a national brand name (think Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida State, USC, etc.).

What went wrong? Well, all three coaches could point to notable injury issues, but it's more than that.
    Rich Rodriguez might be the best offensive coach in the nation, but the Wildcats' recruiting has fallen short. Jim Mora's fortunes took a downturn with schematic and staff issues. Todd Graham blends together those two problems but also has dug himself a hole with rhetorical flourishes that promised more than he delivered. Only Mora will be working this fall for the athletic director who hired him.
    Arizona State and UCLA, on paper, look like they have the talent to turn things around this fall, though no one will pick either to eclipse USC in the South. The Sun Devils must get smarter on defense. The Bruins need a healthy, more mature Josh Rosen living up to his potential behind center. Arizona seems to have issues on both sides of the ball, though the Wildcats' improving offensive line is a foundation for hope.

The caveat we always offer up, however, to fan bases eager to see their coach fired is this: Be careful what you wish for. All three of these programs have longstanding patterns of moderate-to-impressive upticks, followed by increased expectations and then downturns that quickly douse any previous goodwill and immediately surround the program in negativity.

As Bonagura said in the obscure Shakespeare play "Dick Tomey, Bruce Snyder and Bob Toledo Send Their Regards," “O! beware, my message board denizens, of negativity; it is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/pac12/post/...n-pac-12-south

Great stuff, scorcho.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Great stuff, scorcho.
    there are some interesting stories out there today. This one sounds sketchy for those hated Buffs

http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-m...mestic-abuser/

That's what you took from that mailbag? This is what caught my eye:

Hector writes: Utah consistently sends players to the NFL. The Utes have proven they know how to develop "lesser" talent. What will it take for Utah to become a national powerhouse?

Ted Miller:
    Efficient, productive play at quarterback. References: 2004 and 2008.

See? I'm not always long-winded.

Hot seat ratings:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/1...contract-info/

Utah’s Kyle Whittingham
    Contract: Signed through 2021 (Source: Salt Lake Tribune)
    Hot Seat rating: Frigid
    Comment: Yes, there’s a faction of disgruntled Ute fans, but it’s small and doesn’t realize Whittingham is a top-notch coach … and that Utah is unlikely (highly unlikely) to do any better.

I agree. Any fan who wants Whitt gone immediately loses all credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post

Nobody is going to be disgruntled until they see how well Troy Taylor's offense works, esp. with Tuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I don't hear people calling for his job. At least not recently. I do hear a lot of whiny grumbling. Like Wilner said, there is a small, loud contingent that doesn't see how lucky we are.

Like concerned alluded to, as soon as our offense struggles (inevitable), that grumbling will get loud. "The common denominator through every issue we've ever had is Kyle Whittingham!"

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Nobody is going to be disgruntled until they see how well Troy Taylor's offense works, esp. with Tuttle.
    No way our fans are patient enough to wait for Tuttle. If the offense is a disaster this season, the complaining will be loud. We've seen that over and over again with our OC carousel.

No way our fans are patient enough to wait for Tuttle. If the offense is a disaster this season, the complaining will be loud. We've seen that over and over again with our OC carousel.
    True. A disastrous offense this season would be, well a disaster for the program.

I think that if in 2017 Utah is in the middle of the PAC or higher, offensively; we are not miserable in the red zone; and our offense can put close games away in crunch time; people will be happy. I certainly will be.

--Yeats

True. A disastrous offense this season would be, well a disaster for the program.
    It depends on what you mean by disaster. When was the last time we had a "disastrous" offense? We have finished in the top25 three seasons in a row. Clearly, a top 25 finish is not a disaster for the program.

I think that if in 2017 Utah is in the middle of the PAC or higher, offensively; we are not miserable in the red zone; and our offense can put close games away in crunch time; people will be happy. I certainly will be.
    So, the status quo over the past few seasons, basically. I will also be happy with that. I think you overestimate the whiny faction, though. I think that faction will find things to complain about unless we are an absolute offensive juggernaut.