Page 1 of 49 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

I think we should have a thread about what we see going on with the other programs in our conference. I will start: Tony Dungy was on the Dan Patrick show this morning. Dan's final question, almost a throwaway, was "Have you been approached by USC?" Tony answered that yes, he had been approached, through his pastor. He said he was not interested but that he's glad to help with names of candidates. I think that's interesting.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am not surprised that USC is looking to the NFL, but it's the wrong approach. Almost every one of those NFL names you hear - Del Rio, Fischer, Dungy - is a risk (Gruden is not). They didn't seem to learn anything from the Monte Kiffin experience. That guy is tearing it up as a defensive coordinator in the NFL but was completely out of his depth in the college game. Those NFL guys are 10 years behind the curve in offensive strategy. Plus, who knows about recruiting with those guys?

There are some sure things in the college ranks - Shaw, Briles, Strong, etc. Even Sark. Why not go for the sure thing first?

tony Dungy said this very thing this morning on Dan Patrick. Said he had been contacted by USC, told them he wasn't interested. Said college game is completely different than the NFL game, and they should look at college coaches--Sumlin, Peterson, Franklin. Also said the offensive coordinator at the Colts would be a great hire, because he used to be an offensive coordinator at Stanford, and knows recruiting in the Pac 12 and the college game.

Also implied that Sumlin might not take it b/c the A&M job is a better job than USC at this point, or at least equal.

Sorry--I just read Sancho's post before I wrote this, and now went back and saw that LA Ute said the same thing.
    Last edited by concerned; 10-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.

I am not surprised that USC is looking to the NFL, but it's the wrong approach. Almost every one of those NFL names you hear - Del Rio, Fischer, Dungy - is a risk (Gruden is not). They didn't seem to learn anything from the Monte Kiffin experience. That guy is tearing it up as a defensive coordinator in the NFL but was completely out of his depth in the college game. Those NFL guys are 10 years behind the curve in offensive strategy. Plus, who knows about recruiting with those guys?

There are some sure things in the college ranks - Shaw, Briles, Strong, etc. Even Sark. Why not go for the sure thing first?
    I thought it was interesting that they approached Dungy through his pastor. That could be innocent, it could be manipulative. It does show some real effort by USC. Also, that they want to talk with a Super Bowl winner NFL coach tells me they are going for glitz more than for real college football coaching talent, as you note.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    tony Dungy said this very thing this morning on Dan Patrick. Said he had been contacted by USC, told them he wasn't interested. Said college game is completely different than the NFL game, and they should look at college coaches--Sumlin, Peterson, Franklin. Also said the offensive coordinator at the Colts would be a great hire, because he used to be an offensive coordinator at Stanford, and knows recruiting in the Pac 12 and the college game.

Also implied that Sumlin might not take it b/c the A&M job is a better job than USC at this point, or at least equal.

Sorry--I just read Sancho's post before I wrote this, and now went back and saw that LA Ute said the same thing.
    Although it must be said that Pete Carll was twice a failed NFL coach and that worked out well (except for Reggie Bush and the agents). They have to hav glitz to market in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Although it must be said that Pete Carll was twice a failed NFL coach and that worked out well (except for Reggie Bush and the agents). They have to hav glitz to market in LA.
    Mora Jr seems to be another example. It can clearly happe. All I'm saying is - why take the risk when there are some sure things out there?

Dungy and Gruden bring the "glitz," but Del Rio and Fischer?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I thought it was interesting that they approached Dungy through his pastor. That could be innocent, it could be manipulative. It does show some real effort by USC. Also, that they want to talk with a Super Bowl winner NFL coach tells me they are going for glitz more than for real college football coaching talent, as you note.
    Why go thru his pastor? Wouldn't the agent be the more logical choice? Maybe Kyle gets inquiries for other jobs thru his bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Why go thru his pastor? Wouldn't the agent be the more logical choice? Maybe Kyle gets inquiries for other jobs thru his bishop.
    I thought it was odd, and perhaps an effort to use Dungy's well-known Evangelical Christian faith in a manipulative manner. It certainly smacks of that.

--Yeats

I thought it was odd, and perhaps an effort to use Dungy's well-known Evangelical Christian faith in a manipulative manner. It certainly smacks of that.
    It wasn't USC

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/colle...s-coaching-job

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Good. Both Dan Patrick and Tony Dungy were fooled and will probably be much more skeptical in the future.

--Yeats

Good. Both Dan Patrick and Tony Dungy were fooled and will probably be much more skeptical in the future.
    Somehow, I doubt it. I bet this guy could fool them twice. He's bleeping that good.

http://deadspin.com/meet-the-prankst...hes-1443167771

Ha. Just saw this. I think Cam Cameron who was fired from the Ravins last year as the OC and has done wonders for LSU's offense would disagree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Somehow, I doubt it. I bet this guy could fool them twice. He's bleeping that good.

http://deadspin.com/meet-the-prankst...hes-1443167771
    I think that guy needs psychiatric help.

--Yeats

I think that guy needs psychiatric help.
    He's good at what he does and he's getting compensated for it (albeit rather modestly), all while making a rather strong statement against the media on a wide range of topics. I think the guy is a genius.

(EDIT: One would also have to read the Village Voice article that's linked in the Deadspin article to understand the compensatory and media angles. That's where Tarr's greatest work has come.)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    (EDIT: One would also have to read the Village Voice article that's linked in the Deadspin article to understand the compensatory and media angles. That's where Tarr's greatest work has come.)
    OMG... that stuff is hilarious.

Defensive battle in Palo Alto. Stanford up 3-0 at halftime.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

17-3 Stanford now.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    17-3 Stanford now.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    Nice. Let's see if their D can keep it up.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Stanford scores w/ 1:30 to play and goes up 24-10. Looks like they have recovered from midterms.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Stanford scores w/ 1:30 to play and goes up 24-10. Looks like they have recovered from midterms.
    Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Hahaha!
    USC starts with a score against Notre Dame. I wish we had caught Notre Dame early this year.

Anyone else get the feeling that this is ASU's year in the South? They catch USC at full implosion, they beat Wisconsin on some shady biznass, and they don't have to play Oregon.

Looking at Oregon's schedule, they certainly haven't been tested yet. They have some interesting games coming up that will finally show us who they are.

I was amazed that WSU put up almost 600 yards against Oregon. There certainly are vulnerabilities in the Duck D.

Has there ever been a bigger coaching hire than the one the Huskies just pulled off?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Has there ever been a bigger coaching hire than the one the Huskies just pulled off?
    If I were a Huskies fan I'd be thrilled. The PAC-12 continues to upgrade across the board. It's good for Utah. We have to stretch.

--Yeats

Time will tell. Other Boise coaches that parlayed their success to jobs at current PAC 12 schools didn't turn out so well (Koetter at ASU, Hawkins at Colorado).

I think he will do well, but I'm not sure he can lead them to national prominence. But it's all a guess at this point.

NIU lost last night.

Fitting that in the last year of the BCS, after Utah and TCU are gone and Petersen has left, there is no BCS buster.

This means Oregon has a shot at a BCS bowl. They say if Texas beats Baylor, the Sugar could pick Oregon to play Auburn.

It also means that the Pac-12 will probably get all 9 teams to a bowl game, instead of Oregon State missing out as was previously predicted.

Don James.

I will say that I am happy for the Huskies and look forward to watching CP in this league. I like Sark a lot, but I think UW got the better end of the transaction...
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 12-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Don James.

I will say that I am happy for the Huskies and look forward to watching CP in this league. I like Sark a lot, but I think UW got the better end of the transaction...
    I'm talking about the bigness of the hire, not actual coaching success.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I'm talking about the bigness of the hire, not actual coaching success.
    In that case how about one of Don James' former players. Nick Saban played Defensive Back at Kent State under Don James.

Saban was OK at Michigan State, then absolutely tore it up at LSU, then bombed in the NFL for a few years. His success at Bama is impressive, but he was a BCS Championship winner at rival LSU a few years before.

So Nick Saban was definitely a higher profile hire than CP. That said, the list of coaching hires that are higher profile than CP to UW is pretty short.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    In that case how about one of Don James' former players. Nick Saban played Defensive Back at Kent State under Don James.

Saban was OK at Michigan State, then absolutely tore it up at LSU, then bombed in the NFL for a few years. His success at Bama is impressive, but he was a BCS Championship winner at rival LSU a few years before.

So Nick Saban was definitely a higher profile hire than CP. That said, the list of coaching hires that are higher profile than CP to UW is pretty short.

UM to OSU? Sumlin to A&M? Brett Beilema to Arkansas? Bobby Petrino to Arkansas? Whoever gets hired at Texas next?