Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1447

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't hear people calling for his job. At least not recently. I do hear a lot of whiny grumbling. Like Wilner said, there is a small, loud contingent that doesn't see how lucky we are.

Like concerned alluded to, as soon as our offense struggles (inevitable), that grumbling will get loud. "The common denominator through every issue we've ever had is Kyle Whittingham!"
    Kyle ranks 94th out of 128 coaches in FBS at coacheshotseat.com. Meanwhile, three Pac-12 coaches, all in the South, are in the top 15, two in the top 5.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

Interesting point of note: There are four coaches currently at schools in our previous league who are on cooler seats than Kyle, and I'm surprised Craig Bohl at Wyoming doesn't rate colder (or nearly as cold) as Kyle's. That's stability the MWC needs and never really had once you got past Utah, BYU and TCU.

As for people wanting Kyle fired, it's a very small minority, but I think people who brush aside his repeated November failures and want us to be over the moon over the last three years are incurable apologists.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    want us to be over the moon over the last three years are incurable apologists.
    How many times in our football history have we finished in the top 25 in three consecutive seasons? I don't know if I'm over the moon or if I'm an apologist, but I like having a ranked team. This definitely doesn't feel old to me yet.

A bowl game this year is a good year.

What worries me is that if we win 6 games, which isn't bad with this schedule, people will call for Whitt, and that's just dumb.

It depends on what you mean by disaster. When was the last time we had a "disastrous" offense? We have finished in the top25 three seasons in a row. Clearly, a top 25 finish is not a disaster for the program.
    I meant that if we end up something like 10th or worse in the conference, which we have done recently but I don't expect to happen again, that would be a disaster for the program. It would hurt recruiting and fan support. Even non-whiny people would start losing hope. Now, programs do recover from disasters. I just don't want to see one.

So, the status quo over the past few seasons, basically. I will also be happy with that.
    Not quite status quo. Last season we were 8th in scoring offense, 7th in total offense, 4th in rushing offense (yay!), 9th in passing offense, 10th in passing efficiency. But that was an improvement over the prior 2-3 years. (In 2015 we were 9th, 11th, 4th -- yay! again-- 11th, and 10th in those categories.) I'd like us to be 6th or better in every category, or at least hovering around 6th. I think that's a modest hope.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-19-2017 at 03:03 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Any list like this is invalid if they don't automatically have Texas in the top 10 at all times.

As for people wanting Kyle fired, it's a very small minority, but I think people who brush aside his repeated November failures and want us to be over the moon over the last three years are incurable apologists.
    Lol. Three years ranked = ok = incurable apologists?

Lol.

This is Utah, not Oregon or USC or Alabama.

What has happened the last three years hasn't been perfect, but has been our best three year run ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not quite status quo. Last season we were 8th in scoring offense, 7th in total offense, 4th in rushing offense (yay!), 9th in passing offense, 10th in passing efficiency.
    Fair enough. Just remember that scoring offense, total offense, etc, are stats biased towards the types of systems we don't (or didn't) run.

If we end up 10th in scoring offense this season, and if we stink as a team, I'll be just as bummed as you. But if we end up 10th in scoring offense yet finish in the top 25, I'll be fine.

Concerned highlighted the need for patience with a new OC. If we bail on him after one bad season, we are back to the OC carousel. Anything good that happens offensively this season is a bonus. If we are bowl eligible, that's great. Let Taylor have Tuttle and co. for a few years, and we'll see what we think.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Lol. Three years ranked = ok = incurable apologists?

Lol.

This is Utah, not Oregon or USC or Alabama.

What has happened the last three years hasn't been perfect, but has been our best three year run ever.
    No, our best three-year run ever was 2007-09, and it's not even close.

How many times in our football history have we finished in the top 25 in three consecutive seasons? I don't know if I'm over the moon or if I'm an apologist, but I like having a ranked team. This definitely doesn't feel old to me yet.
    I will trade 3 years of an average ranking of 20.3 for one year of a top 10 ranking and Pac-12 title game appearance.

Also, we had season-ending rankings in 2008-10.

Concerned highlighted the need for patience with a new OC. If we bail on him after one bad season, we are back to the OC carousel. Anything good that happens offensively this season is a bonus. If we are bowl eligible, that's great. Let Taylor have Tuttle and co. for a few years, and we'll see what we think.
    I completely agree, except that I need more than "anything good" to be happy with the offense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I will trade 3 years of an average ranking of 20.3 for one year of a top 10 ranking and Pac-12 title game appearance.
    No doubt.

Still, the past three seasons mark an historically good run for us.
    Last edited by sancho; 06-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Trouble in paradise.

USC received more than a year of questions about former medical school dean's conduct before scandal broke

http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...723-story.html

The L.A. healthcare community is in an uproar about this scandal.

"Rise and shout!"

--Yeats

Too bad we miss out on the beavs this year. They get steamrolled by csu.

Shorter games in the Pac-12?

http://pac-12.com/article/2017/08/29...th-program?amp

Sounds like Utah did not agree to the shortened halftime?

The problem is tv breaks. That's it. Some day the money will lessen and the games will shorten. But until then, bleed that piggy dry. Daddy wants a new south end zone.

Blind USC long snapper makes final PAT snap in game against Western Michigan.

What a great story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A running back with the last name Williams is running all over the Bruins. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Blind USC long snapper makes final PAT snap in game against Western Michigan.

What a great story.

That is a great story. I am glad USC honored Sark's promise of putting Jake on a football scholarship, suiting up, and playing in a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    A running back with the last name Williams is running all over the Bruins. Imagine that.
    Think Guerrero has called Chip Kelly yet?

Think Guerrero has called Chip Kelly yet?
    Nevermind. Wow. UCLA just scored 35 unanswered to take a lead after being down 44-10. Now they need to play 43 seconds of defense to win.

Edit - and UCLA wins.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-03-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Nevermind. Wow. UCLA just scored 35 unanswered to take a lead after being down 44-10. Now they need to play 43 seconds of defense to win.

Edit - and UCLA wins.
    This is, like many comebacks, a story of clock mismanagement. A&M continued to pass in the 2nd half, when a conservative run approach would have surely resulted in a win.

Edit - and UCLA wins.
    That is the kind of win that can propel a team to a special season.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    That is the kind of win that can propel a team to a special season.
    Or, since we are talking about UCLA, a mediocre season!

This is, like many comebacks, a story of clock mismanagement. A&M continued to pass in the 2nd half, when a conservative run approach would have surely resulted in a win.
    This is correct. If they could eat ~5 minutes each off the clock with a pair of run-heavy drives, even without scoring, they steal away a few possessions from UCLA and win easily.

It is a fine balancing act. But Whitt's logic makes sense.

I enjoyed watching people point out to the 'SEC! SEC! PAC-12 Sucks!' mouth-breathing chest thumpers that UCLA was 2-7 last year in conference.

I love this.

Cal marks the location of the Hayward fault line that runs through the stadium.

http://scout.com/college/california/...sset-105674353

They also give visitors a helpful tip: DO NOT FALL INTO THE FAULT LINE

HaywardFaultCal.jpg

Boise had Wazzu 31-17 with the ball and 6 minutes to go. Ended up losing in OT. Was there a pick 6 involved, you ask? Yes, yes there was.

RichRod and Graham are coaching their last seasons in the desert. What about Gary? Is he done at OSU?