Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Wow -- UCLA has the ball with 4:30 to go and down by 6 -- a chance to go ahead with a TD. And they give up a SAFETY. Ballgame, barring a miracle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Good move, ans it was intentional. They need a TD anyway, and don't want to punt out of their own end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Good move, ans it was intentional. They need a TD anyway, and don't want to punt out of their own end zone.
    I see. I was just watching ESPN's website and didn't know what had happened. Final: 38-23 ASU. Kind of a surprising result.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So if Colorado takes care of the Ducks, does that diminish our win last week? Or does the fact that we blew Oregon out of the water make up for them not being very good?

Quote Originally Posted by AnestheUte View Post
    So if Colorado takes care of the Ducks, does that diminish our win last week? Or does the fact that we blew Oregon out of the water make up for them not being very good?
    Maybe a little, but it served its purpose by vaulting us up in the rankings and putting us in the national discussion. Now we have Gameday coming in for a top 20 showdown, then ASU who has more respect now. Bottom line is that if we take care of business, it shouldn't much matter how Oregon turns out.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Right now the P12 is the only conference in FBS and FCS with all teams with a .500 or better overall record.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird View Post
    Week 4
    1. Utah: emphatic, assertive, overwhelming. A signal to the rest of the conference, and to the nation.
    2. UCLA: started fast on the road and cruised to a dominant win. They get the reeling Sun Devils next week.
    3. USC: convincing road win.
    4. Cal: maybe not the 4th-best team in the conference, but they should be ranked in the top 20 and 5-0 when they come to SLC in two weeks.
    5. Stanford: comfortable win in Corvallis, and they host a banged-up Arizona team.
    6. Oregon: this could be an 8-win team. They've got a lot of deficiencies.
    7. Arizona: brutal home loss to UCLA on a big stage, and it doesn't get easier this week at Stanford.
    8. ASU: two unimpressive wins and two deflating losses. They'll need a huge turnaround to win at UCLA next week.
    9. Washington: tough loss at home to Cal.
    10. Colorado: they host a vulnerable Oregon team this week. I expect them to cover the spread.
    11. Oregon St: not the start Gary Andersen envisioned in Corvallis.
    12. Wazzou: got the week off, and hope to play spoiler in Berkeley.
    Week 5
    1. Utah: the Oregon win means nothing if you don't win this week. CGD on campus against a ranked team should make RES a cauldron of noise and intensity.
    2. USC: Sark goes against his former team at home on Thursday night.
    3. Stanford: that Northwestern loss doesn't look so bad, and the Cardinal look like a 10-win team.
    4. Cal: didn't make it easy on themselves against Wazzou, but got the job done. A huge opportunity for them in Salt Lake.
    5. UCLA: a young, banged-up team took their lumps at home to Sparky. They'll cherish the bye week.
    6. ASU: a season-saving win in Pasadena, and they get the hapless Buffs at home.
    7. Oregon: a decent bounce-back W on the road in Boulder. Wazzou plays the Ducks tough.
    8. Washington: they're lightly-regarded, but a win at USC would cause the nation to sit up and take notice.
    9. Wazzou: played Cal very tough, and they have an opportunity to catch the Ducks sulking.
    10. Arizona: a Top-25 team when healthy, but minus Solomon and Wright they're quite poor.
    11. Oregon St: a long road ahead for Andersen, but this is a great time to catch the Wildcats.
    12. Colorado: hanged tough with Oregon, but couldn't finish.

SEC schools hoping to cash in on Utah's crushing defeat of Oregon by stealing their recruits.

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting...l#incart_2box_

Myles Jack withdraws from school at UCLA and has declared for the NFL draft next year.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Myles Jack withdraws from school at UCLA and has declared for the NFL draft next year.
    Without a doubt the smart decision to make.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Choosing to foot his own bill for rehab, lodgin, food, etc for the next 9 months? Some agent talked his way into a great loan to Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Choosing to foot his own bill for rehab, lodgin, food, etc for the next 9 months? Some agent talked his way into a great loan to Jack.
    No doubt. These kids get bad advice all the time, but someone should have said "hey, you can get ready for the pros AND get free food AND not go to class." Missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    No doubt. These kids get bad advice all the time, but someone should have said "hey, you can get ready for the pros AND get free food AND not go to class." Missed opportunity.
    I read somewhere that he had purchased an insurance policy against injury at the beginning of the season. Not sure if that would be helping him financially or not.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Pretty ugly game between USC and Washington here so far.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Pretty ugly game between USC and Washington here so far.
    Yeah it is. USC doesn't look impressive here. They both look beatable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, these are two of the best defenses in the conference, and we have them both on the road.
    OK... I'm still not impressed.

The finish was an almost identical replay of our 2013 game against Arizona. That late in the game, one timeout left, down 4-7 points, you never settle for a FG. Never. And on 3rd and 6, you gotta know you're in four-down territory. You've been running the ball very well, so why call a pass play when so much can happen that makes 4th down more difficult? How does a QB as experienced as Kessler take a sack there? It's one thing to take it on fourth down, because there's little to no difference between a sack, incomplete pass or interception. But that play there shows to me he's regressed big time.

What do the numbers say?

With 3rd and 6 from the Washington 25, 4:23 left, USC had a 32 percent chance of winning.

With 4th and 9 from the Washington 28, 3:44 left, USC had a 22 percent chance of winning.

Let's assume the FG is good, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 20. USC only had a 25 percent chance of winning. We can see here that kicking the FG borders on statistically insignificant. You're only increasing your chances of winning by 3 percent.

When the FG missed, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 28, USC only had a 14 percent chance of winning.

Now, let's say USC goes for it on 4th down, and has 1st and 10 from the UW 19 with 3:30 left. It now has a 51 percent chance of winning.

4th and 9 is not the best situation to be in with regard to a must-convert situation, but you'll convert this play about 35 percent of the time (I used this study for 4th down conversion probability rates ... http://archive.advancedfootballanaly...dy-part-3.html ). That's a significant enough difference that going for it on 4th down is clearly the right call. Sark's bad decision to go for a FG was compounded by not running on 3rd and 6 and getting to 4th and makeable. Even a modest 2-yard run, leaving USC with 4th and 4 puts you in a spot where you'll convert almost 55 percent of the time.

Coaches do not spend nearly enough time thinking about these do-or-die situations. For the money they make, the personnel available at their disposal and for what's on the line, it's inexcusable.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The finish was an almost identical replay of our 2013 game against Arizona. That late in the game, one timeout left, down 4-7 points, you never settle for a FG. Never. And on 3rd and 6, you gotta know you're in four-down territory. You've been running the ball very well, so why call a pass play when so much can happen that makes 4th down more difficult? How does a QB as experienced as Kessler take a sack there? It's one thing to take it on fourth down, because there's little to no difference between a sack, incomplete pass or interception. But that play there shows to me he's regressed big time.

What do the numbers say?

With 3rd and 6 from the Washington 25, 4:23 left, USC had a 32 percent chance of winning.

With 4th and 9 from the Washington 28, 3:44 left, USC had a 22 percent chance of winning.

Let's assume the FG is good, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 20. USC only had a 25 percent chance of winning. We can see here that kicking the FG borders on statistically insignificant. You're only increasing your chances of winning by 3 percent.

When the FG missed, Washington ball, 1st and 10 from its own 28, USC only had a 14 percent chance of winning.

Now, let's say USC goes for it on 4th down, and has 1st and 10 from the UW 19 with 3:30 left. It now has a 51 percent chance of winning.

4th and 9 is not the best situation to be in with regard to a must-convert situation, but you'll convert this play about 35 percent of the time (I used this study for 4th down conversion probability rates ... http://archive.advancedfootballanaly...dy-part-3.html ). That's a significant enough difference that going for it on 4th down is clearly the right call. Sark's bad decision to go for a FG was compounded by not running on 3rd and 6 and getting to 4th and makeable. Even a modest 2-yard run, leaving USC with 4th and 4 puts you in a spot where you'll convert almost 55 percent of the time.

Coaches do not spend nearly enough time thinking about these do-or-die situations. For the money they make, the personnel available at their disposal and for what's on the line, it's inexcusable.
    I'm guessing Sark didn't feel like normal odds or percentages applied to his offense last night. Dropped passes, and a shaky Kessler gave him less confidence making that 2 down territory at that point. But that is probably giving Sark too much benefit of the doubt, and doesn't explain his not choosing to attempt to run on 3rd down.

The most important stat in that if you are preserving your job is screwing up like he did with a missed FG means all USC fans sit and question the decision making. Whereas had he gone for it on 4th down nobody would be saying, "He should have gone for a FG and tried to get the ball back and drive the field again."

I work with some USC alum (they flew down to the game) and they all want him gone.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I read somewhere that he had purchased an insurance policy against injury at the beginning of the season. Not sure if that would be helping him financially or not.
    ever since maghee blew out his knees guys who are going to be top picks get subsidized insurance with the ncaa. Im sure he had this option

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

RichRod is embarrassing a Kalani Sitake defense.

In other news, water is wet.

RichRod is embarrassing a Kalani Sitake defense.

In other news, water is wet.
    The iPhone autocorrects Kalani to Kalamazoo. It might be more fitting.

Oregon State looks awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The iPhone autocorrects Kalani to Kalamazoo. It might be more fitting.

Oregon State looks awful.

Elon Musk is correct, Apple is made up of people who washed out at Tesla.

Oregon State has decent athletes. Seth Collins has a very high ceiling. But they are completely outclassed today.

Elon Musk is correct, Apple is made up of people who washed out at Tesla.

Oregon State has decent athletes. Seth Collins has a very high ceiling. But they are completely outclassed today.
    Poor fundamentals.

Tackling has been poor.

Collins inexperience shows. Locking on one receiver.

Arizona is already playing some of their backups.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

My brother who is tapped in pretty good with HS sports and somewhat by extension the local college teams never had a high opinion of Sitake. Not that he wasn't a good guy or that he was awful, he just used to always say he was basically a puppet of Whit's, and noted the drop off on defense from GA to KS.

When he left he reiterated that thinking and noted that he'd probably struggle as a DC without Whit behind him.

It's his first year at OSU and these aren't his guys so I'll give him a pass, but I'm not slightly surprised our D has maintained here.

I think this sort of thinking about KS might be true in the coaching community too because he seemed to have been overlooked for some HC positions last year that he probably should have picked up.

This all sounds 'neener-neener-ish' and I don't mean that. I still like Sitake and hope they do well against everyone but us.

And while I'm at it, I don't want GA to replace Whit.

I am with you there. I appreciate Gary Andersen and know that he is a Utah man, but I don't after with the people who wanted him to replace Whitt this year.

If Oregon keeps rushing only three against WSU they will get killed. Luke Falk will pick them apart all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Poor fundamentals.

Tackling has been poor.

Collins inexperience shows. Locking on one receiver.

Arizona is already playing some of their backups.

And Collins going out with a knee injury. If it's serious, the crappy season just completely submerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And Collins going out with a knee injury. If it's serious, the crappy season just completely submerged.

Scratch that.