Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wow. Am I the only one here who thinks that's a bit premature?
    Probably, but you have an undefeated team who just beat #2 on the road, and you have half of the top 25 that also lost. I think it is also premature for Utah to be at 24. Just a weird, weird week.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Probably, but you have an undefeated team who just beat #2 on the road, and you have half of the top 25 that also lost. I think it is also premature for Utah to be at 24. Just a weird, weird week.
    I was thinking that, too, but then looking at the rankings there are a lot of very flawed teams in the 10-25 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    As MRD & I learned long ago in Sun Devil Stadium, Arizona was the only Pac-10 team never to have gone to the Rose Bowl.
    They Still are....
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I was thinking that, too, but then looking at the rankings there are a lot of very flawed teams in the 10-25 range.
    I think Arizona deserves Top 10. I don't think they'll stay there, but they are one of seven undefeated teams and just beat the Ducks in Eugene - and they didn't even need a fluke hail mary to do it. I think rankings before week 5 are stupid anyway - at this point, teams at least have some resume.

It seems as though Utah's offense is the only one that can't score against WSU.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Stanford wearing black tonight. Misery loves company.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-11-2014 at 02:40 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Watching UCLA vs. Oregon. Both teams playing well but neither one looking awesome.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

UCLA's kicker is awful.

--Yeats

Watching UCLA vs. Oregon. Both teams playing well but neither one looking awesome.
    How about Mora and his DC getting after each other on the sideline. I gotta say though, I really like Mora.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    How about Mora and his DC getting after each other on the sideline. I gotta say though, I really like Mora.
    I do too. He's an opposing coach who's hard to dislike. Kinda like Dave Rose.

--Yeats

Oregon starting to dominate UCLA. Maybe not looking awesome, but looking pretty good. They are making UCLA pay for every mistake.

--Yeats

Oregon starting to dominate UCLA. Maybe not looking awesome, but looking pretty good. They are making UCLA pay for every mistake.
    Hopefully UCLA will bounce back and help us out in the South.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Tonight is the first time I've seen Solomon, Arizona's QB, play. He looks good.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-13-2014 at 12:50 PM.

--Yeats

"Shhh... shhh... shhh... it's ok. It will be over soon..."

BzsZIJTIcAISa37.jpg

I'm not a big fan of Mora. I get the feeling he's a player's coach, which is probably a good fit for UCLA, but I think will mean that team underachieves a lot more than it overachieves. I thought he was flat-out outcoached by Whit/Sitake last weekend - the defense never adjusted to Kendal and they never switched up the protection for Hundley on offense.

I like him sticking around in Westwood - I don't think they'll be dynastic.

Holy Trojans! Utah's offense cannot be MIA again next week.

I know Stanford's Hogan is often dismissed as just a game manager but I wish we had a game manager like him. He passes better than either KT or TW. All we really need is average production at QB. Not an "A" QB or even a "B." A "C" would do, maybe with an occasional C-plus performance. It's a low bar. I hope someone can meet it!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-18-2014 at 10:40 PM.

--Yeats

I know Stanford's Hogan is often dismissed as just a game manager but I wish we had a game manager like him. He passes better than either KT or TW. All we really need is average production at QB. Not an "A" QB or even a "B." A "C" would do, maybe with an occasional C-plus performance. It's a low bar. I hope someone can meet it!
    I don't see anything special in Hogan and don't know that we would be better off with him. Maybe. It's hard to compare such different schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't see anything special in Hogan and don't know that we would be better off with him. Maybe. It's hard to compare such different schemes.
    There is nothing special. That's my point. He's an avarage QB, which is all we need. He can throw the ball to where it needs to be most of the time. I like the Bercovici kid at ASU too. I'm in QB envy mode.

--Yeats

There is nothing special. That's my point. He's an avarage QB, which is all we need. He can throw the ball to where it needs to be most of the time. I like the Bercovici kid at ASU too. I'm in QB envy mode.
    Well, I'm with you on bercovicci. He looks great. I wonder what our guys would look like in Grahams system. Having the best receiver in college football can't hurt either.

I am trying to understand my vicsceral dislike of ASU.

--Yeats

Maybe it's the constant beatings we receive at their hands?

Maybe it's the constant beatings we receive at their hands?
    Definitely a big part of it.

--Yeats

Its their coach, his boy band head set and punchable face.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

ESPN's helmet stickers for this week. Two Ute players are at the top of the list:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ckers-week-8-3

--Yeats

I just took a look at the computer rankings for the Pac. Basically, Oregon is head and shoulders above everyone, then you have a second-tier group of six teams (USC, Stanford, UCLA, Utah, Arizona, Arizona St) that are largely indistinguishable. In fact, Sagarin has spots 19-23 in his Top 25 filled with Pac-12 teams, and Arizona (yes, 5-1 Arizona with a win over the Ducks) at 28.

You then have a third-tier group of Washington (#41) and Oregon State (#46).

And a back-of-the-pack group of Cal (#63), WSU (#71), and Colorado (#91).

I sure would like a do-over on Wazzu.

Rosen Living A Dream

http://ucla.scout.com/story/1470971-...living-a-dream

“The reason I love UCLA so much is because I want to win for a school that isn’t used to winning,” said Rosen.
    Ouch.

So who do we want to win this week in the PAC-12 (I would include other games in the Top 25 but I don't think it matters much, if we win we move up if we lose then we don't.)

Friday, October 24 2014

#6 Oregon @ California*
    10:00 PM ET FOX SPORTS 1- Neutral site game at Levi Stadium. My guess is Oregon rolls. I want to see Oregon do well since it makes the Pac-12 look better. If anyone is going to upset Oregon it better be Utah
    Saturday, October 25 2014

#25 UCLA @ Colorad 2:00 PM ET P12N - I would love to see Colorado beat UCLA because it would help us in the South standings. Some will say that it makes our win against UCLA look worse, but if we beat USC that won't matter. Not to mention we will have plenty of times to prove ourselves with our upcoming schedule.

Oregon State @ Stanford 3:30 ET ESPN2 - This is a toss-up I'm going to go with Oregon State here.

#15 Arizona @ WSU 6:00 ET P12N - Easy one here, need Arizona to lose to improve our South standings and a WSU win would help justify us losing to WSU a bit...kinda?

#14 ASU @ Wasington
    10:45 ET ESPN - Would like to see Washington beat ASU. Helps with our pac 12 south standings. Also I hate the Desert Zoobs. Would be nice for them to be recovering from a loss when we play them next week. Strangely I picked them in the survivor pool though.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    So who do we want to win this week in the PAC-12 (I would include other games in the Top 25 but I don't think it matters much, if we win we move up if we lose then we don't.)

#25 UCLA @ Colorad
    2:00 PM ET P12N - I would love to see Colorado beat UCLA because it would help us in the South standings. Some will say that it makes our win against UCLA look worse, but if we beat USC that won't matter. Not to mention we will have plenty of times to prove ourselves with our upcoming schedule.
    I like your reasoning, but I also don't mind at all if CU is 0-8 when we see them in Boulder.

Oregon State @ Stanford 3:30 ET ESPN2 - This is a toss-up I'm going to go with Oregon State here.
    Are you serious? This is not a hard choice. We lose 1-2 guys every year to Stanford. We want them to return to the bottom of the conference where they belong.

Are you serious? This is not a hard choice. We lose 1-2 guys every year to Stanford. We want them to return to the bottom of the conference where they belong.
    Yeah, you're right, I wasn't really thinking about recruiting at the time. It would definitely be beneficial for Utah if Stanford to fall back into the cellar.

I like your reasoning, but I also don't mind at all if CU is 0-8 when we see them in Boulder.
    I actually would prefer Colorado to have at least 1 win, preferably against a south opponent, that way they aren't righting tooth and nail to get a win at the end of the season against Utah.
    Last edited by SigmaUte; 10-23-2014 at 09:51 PM.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom