Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    So who do we want to win this week in the PAC-12 (I would include other games in the Top 25 but I don't think it matters much, if we win we move up if we lose then we don't.)

Friday, October 24 2014

#6 Oregon @ California*
    10:00 PM ET FOX SPORTS 1- Neutral site game at Levi Stadium. My guess is Oregon rolls. I want to see Oregon do well since it makes the Pac-12 look better. If anyone is going to upset Oregon it better be Utah
    Saturday, October 25 2014

#25 UCLA @ Colorad 2:00 PM ET P12N - I would love to see Colorado beat UCLA because it would help us in the South standings. Some will say that it makes our win against UCLA look worse, but if we beat USC that won't matter. Not to mention we will have plenty of times to prove ourselves with our upcoming schedule.

Oregon State @ Stanford 3:30 ET ESPN2 - This is a toss-up I'm going to go with Oregon State here.

#15 Arizona @ WSU 6:00 ET P12N - Easy one here, need Arizona to lose to improve our South standings and a WSU win would help justify us losing to WSU a bit...kinda?

#14 ASU @ Wasington
    10:45 ET ESPN - Would like to see Washington beat ASU. Helps with our pac 12 south standings. Also I hate the Desert Zoobs. Would be nice for them to be recovering from a loss when we play them next week. Strangely I picked them in the survivor pool though.
    All of this is immaterial to Utah if we don't win Saturday. USC becomes a prohibitive favorite to win the South if it wins Saturday (With easily the league's toughest schedule remaining, I would also say we're a solid favorite to finish fifth; if we're lucky, tied for fourth or even third outright). Yes, it will still be tied in the loss column with Arizona, but it owns the head-to-head there. (EDIT: I keep forgetting that ASU didn't lose to USC, and only has one league loss as a result. It's remaining league slate, however, is considerably tougher than USC's.) USC also doesn't play Oregon and will have gone 4-1 vs. South Division foes. As things stand, only Utah is undefeated vs. the South right now, but only at 1-0, and if it loses Saturday, can finish no better than 4-1 in the division, where USC would again have the tiebreaker.

Show me otherwise, but the only way Utah can win the South with a loss Saturday would be for USC to lose out to get to 5-4, with Utah finishing 6-3 or 7-2. With a closing league slate of UCLA, Cal and Wazzu, that's not happening.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 10-23-2014 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    All of this is immaterial to Utah if we don't win Saturday. USC becomes a prohibitive favorite to win the South if it wins Saturday (With easily the league's toughest schedule remaining, I would also say we're a solid favorite to finish fifth; if we're lucky, tied for fourth or even third outright). Yes, it will still be tied in the loss column with Arizona, but it owns the head-to-head there. (EDIT: I keep forgetting that ASU didn't lose to USC, and only has one league loss as a result. It's remaining league slate, however, is considerably tougher than USC's.) USC also doesn't play Oregon and will have gone 4-1 vs. South Division foes. As things stand, only Utah is undefeated vs. the South right now, but only at 1-0, and if it loses Saturday, can finish no better than 4-1 in the division, where USC would again have the tiebreaker.

Show me otherwise, but the only way Utah can win the South with a loss Saturday would be for USC to lose out to get to 5-4, with Utah finishing 6-3 or 7-2. With a closing league slate of UCLA, Cal and Wazzu, that's not happening.
    Sure, we're just dreaming while we still can.

ASU and Washington tied at 10 in the 4th.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ASU and Washington tied at 10 in the 4th.
    Woof! Woof!

ASU holds off Washington. Gonna be a big fight in the desert next week. But that's for Monday. We can enjoy this one!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Wall Street Journal today:

The Ecstasy and Anxiety of Oregon Football

The Ducks Are College Football’s Coolest Program. So Why Are Their Fans So Nervous?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
    The Ecstasy and Anxiety of Oregon Football

The Ducks Are College Football’s Coolest Program. So Why Are Their Fans So Nervous?

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-energy-and-anxiety-of-oregon-football-1414782913?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond
    This didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    This didn't work for me.
    I redid the link. You might need to be a Wall Street Journal subscriber to open it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Make a note. Against Oregon you cannot settle for field goals. You just have to go for it sometimes.

Connor Halliday goes down with a broken leg. That is one tough kid. Remember when we lacerated his liver a few years ago?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...pac12&id=79661

Arizona held to 7 @ UCLA.

Connor Halliday goes down with a broken leg. That is one tough kid. Remember when we lacerated his liver a few years ago?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...pac12&id=79661
    I happened to see the play when it happened and, at the time, it didn't seem like any other play. It was obvious right after that he was in a lot of pain. Poor kid. Just some bad luck.

I hope he fully recovers.

Notre Dame making Utah look really good right now.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Ain't that the truth. Wow.

Arizona state's defense is absolutely legit.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yep.

--Yeats

Arizona state's defense is absolutely legit.
    Maybe we should feel a little better about how our offense did against them.

--Yeats

Oops, looks like ASU may be choking the game away. ND just made another TD and now it's 34-30. It was 34-3 last time I checked. 28 unanswered points -- reminds me of a game we lost earlier this year....

--Yeats

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Notably, ND's last TD came against an ASU blitz. The Irish QB burned 'em.

Man, it feels weird to be cheering for ASU. But it looks like they're stepping up now and are now ahead 10.

--Yeats

Wow...talk about a fortuitous INT for ASU.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Wow...talk about a fortuitous INT for ASU.
    Well, luck is part of football. We had rotten luck in 2013, much better this year.

Any idea why Graham was yelling at the guy who got the pick-6?

--Yeats

Don't get me wrong, I wish our DBs wouldn't drop those potential-INTs last week.

The DB made mistakes on previous plays.

btw...Graham went for the points. Went for TD on 4th & 1 with less than a minute left in the game.

Well, luck is part of football. We had rotten luck in 2013, much better this year.

Any idea why Graham was yelling at the guy who got the pick-6?

ASU with another assist from Jesus according to coach Graham...I just wish he'd help out other programs too.

He doesn't help TDS given all the "righteous" living of players, coaches, and fans?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ASU with another assist from Jesus according to coach Graham...I just wish he'd help out other programs too.

Man, it feels weird to be cheering for ASU. But it looks like they're stepping up now and are now ahead 10.
    I don't see why you would cheer for ASU in this game. USC is a dominant football power in our division. The last thing we want is for ASU to step up to that level too. We compete with ASU for recruits (this year, for Masina). We want ASU to lose every game they play, especially the non conference games.

I'm sure his cheering for ASU will alter the course of Pac 12 landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't see why you would cheer for ASU in this game. USC is a dominant football power in our division. The last thing we want is for ASU to step up to that level too. We compete with ASU for recruits (this year, for Masina). We want ASU to lose every game they play, especially the non conference games.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I see your point but we took ASU to overtime and lost on the final play of the game. We didn't drop at all in the polls as a result. Seems to me their win over Notre Dame glosses up our performance.

--Yeats

FWIW...just read that WSU's redshirt freshman QB passed for +470 yards against OSU in his first start.

The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    FWIW...just read that WSU's redshirt freshman QB passed for +470 yards against OSU in his first start.
    Quarterback envy. I am suffering from a bad case of it. Regardless of who is to blame for it, our results in that area have been subpar for several years now.

--Yeats

Quarterback envy. I am suffering from a bad case of it. Regardless of who is to blame for it, our results in that area have been subpar for several years now.
    And he's from Logan, Utah.