Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    UM to OSU? Sumlin to A&M? Brett Beilema to Arkansas? Bobby Petrino to Arkansas? Whoever gets hired at Texas next?
    Yes. That is most of the short list.

Also add Steve Spurrier to South Carolina.

Back to rivalry talk- what PAC12 message boards do you like? I've struggled to find any that I like checking out. Cal has an absolutely putrid one, and I don't like the generic Rivals type boards. CU has one with a lot of soul and fan identity, but those guys are so bad that they don't have much to talk about.
    Last edited by Homer Crimson; 12-18-2013 at 08:45 AM.

Tosh Lupoi being investigated for allegedly paying for private tutoring for a recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Tosh Lupoi being investigated for allegedly paying for private tutoring for a recruit.
    Does this surprise anyone? When everyone talked about how he was the best recruiter in the PAC-12, did anyone really believe it was because he knew better jokes, or had that special gleam in his eye? Why do you think SEC teams have better "recruiters" than other conferences? Is their charming southern drawl?

Nope.

It's the cash that gets left in the seat cushions when they leave. To believe otherwise is just naive.

Brett Hundley's offseason workout video.

It's nice to be able to tease my UCLA fan friends that they are playing catch-up with us:

UCLA Athletics announces plans for new basketball practice facility

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's nice to be able to tease my UCLA fan friends that they are playing catch-up with us:

UCLA Athletics announces plans for new basketball practice facility
    They should also be teased about that announcement. Talk about no details

I didn't even read the story, but I thought of Sancho when I saw the headline:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/fuck-sta...3638/+rohan954

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I didn't even read the story, but I thought of Sancho when I saw the headline:

http://valleywag.gawker.com/fuck-sta...3638/+rohan954
    Good stuff. Thanks. I recommend the idea to all, though there's no need for the language.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Good stuff. Thanks. I recommend the idea to all, though there's no need for the language.
    That's the language that comes to mind when I think of Sancho.

But I also agree with the overall tone of the article..

Some drama from USC's Josh Shaw. Looks like he didn't sprain his ankles while heroically saving his nephew.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/27/uscs-josh-shaw-hero-story-is-a-lie-sorry/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Some drama from USC's Josh Shaw. Looks like he didn't sprain his ankles while heroically saving his nephew.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/27/uscs-josh-shaw-hero-story-is-a-lie-sorry/
    Coming off of this, another player quits the team and calls Sark a racist. Sark definitely has some cleaning up to do with that program. It might be a great year to have them at home...let's hope for our sake it is!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Great to see WSU fumble the game away to Rutgers last night.

Halliday looked great, though. The offense was crisp, and his passes were right on the money. I'm happy to see Wilson back, and I think Thompson looks alright as a backup, but what I wouldn't give for someone with that kind of accuracy.

Halliday looked great, though. The offense was crisp, and his passes were right on the money. I'm happy to see Wilson back, and I think Thompson looks alright as a backup, but what I wouldn't give for someone with that kind of accuracy.
    Cox was 3-3...

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Cox was 3-3...
    And, if I remember right, one of those was rolling right (and he's left handed).

40-56 passing? Gulp.

40-56 = 71%

13-18 = 72%
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    40-56 = 71%

13-18 = 72%
    BOO-YA!

Hopefully Travis' scales up and translates to the FBS.

Really, though, Halliday looked good to me. I didn't see his early pick - just his 2nd half domination.
    Last edited by sancho; 08-29-2014 at 12:25 PM.

BOO-YA!

Hopefully Travis' scales up and translates to the FBS.

Really, though, Halliday looked really good to me. I didn't see his early pick - just his 2nd half domination.
    I also like that TW had over 250 yards in just 18 attempts, versus 500+ in 60 attempts.

I am not knocking Halliday, I think he is a good qb, but i think his offense males him look better than he is. When you talk qb accuracy, ability, pro potential, etc. Manning is significantly better than Halliday.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I also like that TW had over 250 yards in just 18 attempts, versus 500+ in 60 attempts.

I am not knocking Halliday, I think he is a good qb, but i think his offense males him look better than he is. When you talk qb accuracy, ability, pro potential, etc. Manning is significantly better than Halliday.
    Are you talking about Peyton, Eli, or Connor? If Connor, I hope when he transfers that he doesn't choose a Pac-12 school.

It's apples and oranges to compare Wilson vs ISU to Halliday vs Rutgers. I'm just saying his 2nd half performance was good, and I think WSU is a team for us to worry about.

Are you talking about Peyton, Eli, or Connor? If Connor, I hope when he transfers that he doesn't choose a Pac-12 school.

It's apples and oranges to compare Wilson vs ISU to Halliday vs Rutgers. I'm just saying his 2nd half performance was good, and I think WSU is a team for us to worry about.
    Right now, any team that knows how to throw the ball is a team to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Right now, any team that knows how to throw the ball is a team to worry about
    Colin Cowherd, to whom I never listen unless I happen to turn on the car radio when he's on, made an interesting point today. It was something like "The game has changed," he says, because teams know they need a good QB who can throw to a field full of receivers and who can run 85 plays a game in a no-huddle. "The 250-lb linebacker is a thing of the past; he'd better be 230-35 and be fast." I can see that we are trying to do something like that on offense. I too wonder how we'll do against Hundley, Mariota, Halliday and Mannion. Those games may not be a lot of fun.

--Yeats

"The 250-lb linebacker is a thing of the past; he'd better be 230-35 and be fast."
    And this is why Stanford, Wisconsin, and Michigan State are winning games now. Using a power run offense to take advantage of the spread defenses.

And this is why Stanford, Wisconsin, and Michigan State are winning games now. Using a power run offense to take advantage of the spread defenses.
    Good point. Makes me wonder: How does a team position itself to defend both the Oregon-style and Stanford-style offense?

--Yeats

Good point. Makes me wonder: How does a team position itself to defend both the Oregon-style and Stanford-style offense?
    Alabama does it really well. All you need is 30-40 five-star athletes on your defense.

Alabama does it really well. All you need is 30-40 five-star athletes on your defense.
    The answer was staring me in the face. I'm so embarrassed.

--Yeats

UCLA's D looks good, their offense a little sluggish to start.

Mora was yelling at the UVA ball boy, who just laughed at him and walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    UCLA's D looks good, their offense a little sluggish to start.

Mora was yelling at the UVA ball boy, who just laughed at him and walked away.
    Ucla's D now has 3 first half touchdowns. Their offense, zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Ucla's D now has 3 first half touchdowns. Their offense, zero.
    They certainly look beatable...maybe not by us, but that ASU game before they get us could be interesting and impact our game against them.

So far Arizona looks very good (okay, I didn't watch their game but they manhandled an FBS opponent that played in a bowl last year with a new QB), Cal is looking good while the arrow seems to be pointing down for Wazzu, CU and UCLA. Stanford, Utah and ASU have all just done what they were supposed to against FCS teams so you can't really pass judgment on any of them. I am looking forward to USC-Fresno St later.