Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Interesting piece in the L.A. Times. Bill Paschke is a fine sportswriter and Jim Mora is a fine coach.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/l...29-column.html

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

So, I often see Mike Riley on "best coaches" lists. Why is this? I don't doubt that's he's a fine coach, but OSU never finishes very high and sometimes finishes rather low. Why is Riley the only coach in the country who can still get credit with a less than stellar record?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So, I often see Mike Riley on "best coaches" lists. Why is this? I don't doubt that's he's a fine coach, but OSU never finishes very high and sometimes finishes rather low. Why is Riley the only coach in the country who can still get credit with a less than stellar record?
    Disagree strongly. Riley had a six-year stretch from 2004-09 where OSU finished lower than third all of once. Sure, they've never been to Pasadena, but they've been close.

In the pre-expansion era, his average league finish was 4th. In the expansion era, his average finish is 4th, and that's facing two Top 10 teams every year.

Riley has three wins vs. Top 5 teams, and is 5-2 in bowl games. All this despite an athletic budget that ranked 9th in a 10-team league (I suspect OSU is now 10th out of 12) and having Oregon within your state's borders.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Riley has three wins vs. Top 5 teams, and is 5-2 in bowl games. All this despite an athletic budget that ranked 9th in a 10-team league (I suspect OSU is now 10th out of 12) and having Oregon within your state's borders.
    Oh, I believe he's a good coach. I'm just surprised that the media always recognizes it as well. He's definitely the odd man out in the types of lists I'm referring to. I mean, you have Nick Saban, David Shaw, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, and then Mike Riley. I'm not sure consistently finishing 3-4 in conference would get anyone else onto "top coaches" lists, but Riley really does have a lot of respect. It's almost like he's the token "good coach in a so-so program" that they feel has to be put somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Oh, I believe he's a good coach. I'm just surprised that the media always recognizes it as well. He's definitely the odd man out in the types of lists I'm referring to. I mean, you have Nick Saban, David Shaw, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, and then Mike Riley. I'm not sure consistently finishing 3-4 in conference would get anyone else onto "top coaches" lists, but Riley really does have a lot of respect. It's almost like he's the token "good coach in a so-so program" that they feel has to be put somewhere.
    He's also a really good guy.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Riley did wonders, left, then came back. I think that elevates him a lot as well.

Good Grantland Article on the games this week and financial success of the conference.

Now, just five years after bringing up the rear financially, the Pac-12 hassurpassed the SEC and Big Ten as the richest conference in the land. Earlier this year, the conference reported just shy of $334 million in total revenue for the 2012-13 fiscal year, a 345 percent increase over 2008-09. In television revenue alone, the Pac-12 reported $252.7 million in 2012-13, nearly a threefold increase over the $85.6 million it reported the previous year. The current payout averages $20.8 million per school under the new TV deal, compared with $6 million per school under the old deal, and it will only keep rising.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Arizona struggling a bit on the road vs UTSA
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Arizona struggling a bit on the road vs UTSA
    UTSA is looking very tough. Horrible playcalling in the red zone unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    UTSA is looking very tough. Horrible playcalling in the red zone unfortunately.
    And a missed chip shot.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Only to March back and punch RichRod right in the coinpurse. That 25 yard seam route to the TE on 4th and 10 was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Only to March back and punch RichRod right in the coinpurse. That 25 yard seam route to the TE on 4th and 10 was awesome.
    Looked like something Jake Murphy would have done for us.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Quote Originally Posted by SigmaUte View Post
    Looked like something Westlee Tonga will do for us.
    HFIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    HFIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    HFIFY
    Oh, thank you. Silly auto-correct.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

Oh, Stanford lost today. Woo-hoo!

UCLA is looking good against Memphis but less than godlike.

--Yeats

Anyone else wonder why Memphis didn't spike the ball on its last possession?

--Yeats

And by the way, it was weird for Pat Haden to be down on the sideline at all, let alone arguing with the refs.

--Yeats

This morning on Dan Patrick's show Sarkisian said he called Haden down to the sideline. Really? Or is Steve simply throwing himself under the bus?

--Yeats

--Yeats

Fines are so silly as punishment for people who have money coming out their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Fines are so silly as punishment for people who have money coming out their ears
    I guess it's more of a public shaming effort. Even worse, since U$C has shown itself to be shameless!

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This morning on Dan Patrick's show Sarkisian said he called Haden down to the sideline. Really? Or is Steve simply throwing himself under the bus?
    That is what he said in the post-game interview I saw on the news.

What was the original infraction? Was he far out of the coach's box or was he just a step or two beyond the line?

I have to say the sense of entitlement shown by sark and haden over this episode is very distasteful.

Who here expects Washington to look a lot better this week? I do. Petersen is a good coach. He isn't used to playing good teams every week. I'd put money down, that he spent the last month prepping for Illinois 1/3rd of the time and Stanford for 2/3rd of the time. It wouldn't even surprise me if he didn't even look at the last two teams more than a passing glance. I think Washington comes out and looks great this week, wins next week, and gives Stanford all they can handle.

I said before the year began, that it wouldn't shock me to see Stanford sitting at 2-2 after the Washington game. That game will be for second place in the North.

OK, maybe not for second place. Washington does luck out in that they don't play us, so maybe it's not for second place.

USC in trouble against BC, down by 10 in the third.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    USC in trouble against BC, down by 10 in the third.
    Ucla/Texas is a game featuring zero offenses. Ucla's qb is currently Rick neuheisals kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Ucla/Texas is a game featuring zero offenses. Ucla's qb is currently Rick neuheisals kid.
    What happened to Hundley? I feel like I missed something....(in a meeting right now).

--Yeats