Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trojans, the Ducks, the Bruins, and all those guys: The PAC-12 rivals thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Yeah. I was ssoooo wrong. I said Michigan doesn't force TO's. They did get one on our backup QB. Kudos to them.

I said they give up 8 yards per pass attempt and we could exploit them through the air. Guess what Wilson's yards per attempt were? What?!? 8 yards per attempt?!? Shocking.

I said we could put up 31 points on them. We put up 26. We also missed a FG, dropped a TD pass (Poole), and didn't follow blockers (Poole). So, yeah, we fell a little short of what I said, but we could have easily put up 37 points on them. Maybe more if Wilson doesn't get hurt.

Forgive me for not shaking in my boots over a defense that didn't do much. Are you afraid of WSU's defense as well?
    You forgot this gem:

Michigan only let ND average 2.6 yards per carry in the first half and first two drives of the second half. Impressive, right? The only problem was Michigan was losing 28-0.
    Utah ran 37 times for 81 yards -- a 2.2 yard per carry average.

Michigan, OTOH, ran 36 times for 118 yards -- a 3.3 yards per carry average.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

At this point in the season, the Pac is a real mystery to me. The elites (Oregon, Stanford, USC, UCLA) have all looked beatable - especially when they get beat. There is a really murky middle (ASU, UW, Cal, Arizona, Utah, Oregon State) of teams that have really nice records but don't have a lot of signature wins (other than @MICHIGAN). Washington State seems to have fire in its belly, but at 1-3 is basically bowl ineligible.

The only thing I know is that Colorado sucks.

Hundley looked sharp last night. Accurate and efficient, and he consistently made the right decision on when to run. UCLA has scored a ton of points this season on defense and special teams.

ASU racked up 600+ yards. I think they have a good offense, and I think UCLA's defense is suspect. The Bruins defense was getting attention after the UVa and Texas wins, but it turns out that UVa and Texas don't have potent offenses. UCLA did give up points to Memphis. I think they are vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Hundley looked sharp last night. Accurate and efficient, and he consistently made the right decision on when to run. UCLA has scored a ton of points this season on defense and special teams.

ASU racked up 600+ yards. I think they have a good offense, and I think UCLA's defense is suspect. The Bruins defense was getting attention after the UVa and Texas wins, but it turns out that UVa and Texas don't have potent offenses. UCLA did give up points to Memphis. I think they are vulnerable.
    We could be a trap game for them, although they are at home with a couple of extra days rest.

Colorado cal in OT. cal throws a touchdown on 3 AND 10 from the 25. C'mon buffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Colorado cal in OT. cal throws a touchdown on 3 AND 10 from the 25. C'mon buffs!
    Buffs score on their first play! I would have gone for two there.

Buffs score on their first play! I would have gone for two there.
    Buffs needing two fourth down conversions to score. They don't get the second. Cal just needs a fg

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I expect Utah will find a way to win next week, but anybody who thinks WSU is a pushover and a guaranteed win is a f***ing idiot not being objective.
    Doggone it I hate to be right in this case. When Leach called that timeout in the first half to rally his dejected troops, he did exactly what had to be done and his team reacted positively. That was the point at which WSU quit on him last time they were in SLC, but this time he has them believing in his system and they came back fighting.

Leach figured out ways to beat our defensive schemes and then he took advantage of it.

In this league we cannot afford to take a game off, ever. Now I fear that WSU has exposed our defensive weaknesses and UCLA, ASU, Arizona, Oregon, and Colorado will all put up video game numbers against us.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Now I fear that WSU has exposed our defensive weaknesses and UCLA, ASU, Arizona, Oregon, and Colorado will all put up video game numbers against us.
    Defensive weaknesses?! What does that matter if our Offense only scores one TD?!

A buddy of mine hooked my kids and I up with great midfield seats for the Oregon Arizona game this Thursday night. My middle son loves the ducks. While that kills me, we live about four hours from Eugene, and he has been able to see his ducks quite a bit.

I have to admit, though, that I hate going to that stadium. It's too loud. And not loud in a good way, when the yell Ooooo, it is ear piercing and annoying.

Uh oh shaggy. Scooby doin work, creating and recovering a fumble to potentially seal a win over Oregon.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Uh oh shaggy. Scooby doin work, creating and recovering a fumble to potentially seal a win over Oregon.
    You just know that Oregon O-line that has been so bad the past two weeks will be all healed up and ready to go when Oregon comes to SLC.

Why do we never get to go against the second string? Is it too much to ask that we should see some games like this against a completely decimated power?

Healed or not, Utah is just going to rush 3 and drop 8.

You just know that Oregon O-line that has been so bad the past two weeks will be all healed up and ready to go when Oregon comes to SLC.

Why do we never get to go against the second string? Is it too much to ask that we should see some games like this against a completely decimated power?

The Pac is so confusing this year. Is Arizona legit? A road win against Oregon screams YES, but tight home wins against UTSanAntonio, Cal, and Nevada scream PROBABLY NOT.

The Pac is so confusing this year. Is Arizona legit? A road win against Oregon screams YES, but tight home wins against UTSanAntonio, Cal, and Nevada scream PROBABLY NOT.
    To early to know for sure, but I think it means there are no elite teams, a bunch of good teams, and no horrible teams. I would rather there be 1-2 elite teams that beat everyone, 4-5 horrible teams (not us), and some middle teams that rack up wins against the horrible teams.

The top teams are little lower than usual, and among the bottom teams (Utah, WSU, Cal, OSU, CU, UW) there is not an easy out. This is not a sustainable power structure for a conference. There are always powers and cellar dwellars. So we are in a transitional period where the powers and cellars are being re-determined. CU, Cal, and WSU are making a strong effort to leave the basement. If they are successful, someone necessarily fills their spot down there - Utah and OSU.

The top teams are little lower than usual, and among the bottom teams (Utah, WSU, Cal, OSU, CU, UW) there is not an easy out. This is not a sustainable power structure for a conference. There are always powers and cellar dwellars. So we are in a transitional period where the powers and cellars are being re-determined. CU, Cal, and WSU are making a strong effort to leave the basement. If they are successful, someone necessarily fills their spot down there - Utah and OSU.
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Colorado is far and away the worst team in the Pac this year: they lost (at home) to Colorado St and won by three against UMASS. UMASS!!!!

So between West Virginia and Arizona Rich Rodriguez forgot to coach, and got it back again at Arizona? Strange. I wonder if he had a stroke at Michigan.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    So between West Virginia and Arizona Rich Rodriguez forgot to coach, and got it back again at Arizona? Strange. I wonder if he had a stroke at Michigan.
    This is just more evidence that something is severely wrong in Ann Arbor. Hubris.

One game does not a coach make. If so Whit would have been great last year after the stanford game. Remember, This AZ team needed a hail mary to beat Cal at home.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Colorado is far and away the worst team in the Pac this year: they lost (at home) to Colorado St and won by three against UMASS. UMASS!!!!
    Sure, but they are trending up while we are trending down. The natural equilibrium state for a conference is to have 3-4 tiers. Occasionally, someone shakes the snow globe, and teams can reposition themselves. We are in the midst of a swirling, chaotic period, and we need to make sure CU et al are still filling that bottom tier when a new equilibrium is reached.

I'm always in the minority on this, but I think luck plays as large a role in coaching destinies as anything else.

Here is a preety good graphic on the status of the big 5 conferences

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...T.nav=top-news

It is a companion to an article on how far the Big 10 has fallen

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/sp...T.nav=top-news

I'm over our win. Watching WSU vs Cal, 52-54. Terrific game.

Cal 60 - WSU 59. 3:18 left in the game. Wow.

Receivers from both teams are catching everything.

Holy Cow! WSU missed a 19-yard field goal with 15 seconds left. Cal wins.

The ending to this game was absolutely crazy. Connor Halliday sets the fbs alltime pass yard per game record.

Arizona is the first team since 1989 go from unranked to #10 in one week in the AP poll.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ump-in-ap-poll
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Arizona is the first team since 1989 go from unranked to #10 in one week in the AP poll.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ump-in-ap-poll
    Wow. Am I the only one here who thinks that's a bit premature?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wow. Am I the only one here who thinks that's a bit premature?
    As MRD & I learned long ago in Sun Devil Stadium, Arizona was the only Pac-10 team never to have gone to the Rose Bowl.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.