Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 48 of 48

Thread: The Soccer, Football, Futbol, Fussball, Calcio et al. Thread

  1. #31
    My little bro went up to Chicago tonight to see Argentina in the copa america. Messi with a hat trick off the bench. That's like seeing Joe Montana throw five tds or Jordan score 50.

  2. #32
    Red, white, and blue. And black?

  3. #33
    Somos libres!

    Peru beats Brazil for the first time in 35 years on a hand of god goal. Great game.

  4. #34
    USA! USA! That was a fun match. Semi's in the Copa America is no small feat.

  5. #35
    Ugh. Penalty kicks. A really stupid part of an otherwise great sport.

  6. #36
    Well, that was just awful. Messi misses his first shootout PK ever, and it's a huge one. He so depressed, he's talking about not playing for Argentina anymore. I really wanted him to finally be the hero in this thing. I guess that's what makes sports the best drama on TV - it doesn't follow the script.

    Chile is pretty much the worst south american country, and they have back-to-back championships.

  7. #37
    I will never understand why PK's aren't moved back. As it is now, they are 99% kicker, 1 % keeper. Why would anyone be opposed to finding the sweet spot where they are 50/50? That would be far more interesting at the end of extra time and would also be far more appropriate for an in-game PK.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, that was just awful. Messi misses his first shootout PK ever, and it's a huge one. He so depressed, he's talking about not playing for Argentina anymore. I really wanted him to finally be the hero in this thing. I guess that's what makes sports the best drama on TV - it doesn't follow the script.

    Chile is pretty much the worst south american country, and they have back-to-back championships.
    Good riddance, Argentina.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Good riddance, Argentina.
    The Brasil/Argentina rivalry - so unnecessary! Just share that beautiful waterfall and a love of grilled meat.

    Now Peru/Chile - that's a rivalry to get behind. Those rats stole the Atacama desert and all its guano! They slaughtered Miguel Grau, el cabellero del mar!

  10. #40
    This might not be on your radar, but Peru is close to its first World Cup birth (berth? they both make sense in a way) since 1982. Tied for 4th in qualifying with matches against Argentina and Colombia remaining.

    So many good sports things happening tonight!

  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This might not be on your radar, but Peru is close to its first World Cup birth
    And...we're in! First time since 1982. Peru declared the day a national holiday and gave everyone the day off in anticipation of tonight's game.

  12. #42
    World Cup time! Greatest sporting event in the world. Here's your rooting guide.

    Group A: Go Egypt. Salah a rising star. Go Saudi Arabia just because nobody likes Uruguay, and we all want Russia to fall flat on its face for being a dick country.

    Group B: Go Morocco. Then Spain just because nobody should be rooting for Iran in anything, and Portugal is such a bunch of pretty boys.

    Group C: Go Peru. The blanquirojas are in their first WC since 1982. And they are Ute colors. Then Australia because socceroos. France is a Euro juggernaut, so we should root against them. Denmark? So bland in every way. How did the Scandinavian nations rig all those happiness surveys to make people believe they are the happiest people on earth? No way the happiest people on earth live in a place where the sun doesn't come out for months at a time and where, between four nations, there is not one decent national cuisine.

    Group D: Go everyone. Seriously, the most likable group. Argentina is the Cleveland Cavs. Messi trying desperately to carry a bad team to a title. Argentina is the emotional favorite of all the contenders just for Leo. Iceland is fun. It's next to impossible to root against the African teams, especially when they play their European oppressors. And Croatia? Who has anything against them? They have the checkerboard jersey.

    Group E: Go Ticos! Costa Rica - always skillful, and always too little in stature to get it done against the taller Euros/Africans/Brasil. Then Brasil because it's fun when they are good. No reason to root for Serbia or Switzerland in anything.

    Group F: Vamos Mexico! America's other team! Then South Korea because it's great that Korea and Japan have come so far so quickly in soccer. Sweden is so happy with their fermented fish that they don't need a successful WC. And Germany started both great wars, so BOOOOO!

    Group G: Go Panama! This is their first World Cup! Ever! Then Tunisia because Belgium and England are so boring.

    Group H: Go Japan! Rising sun! Then Colombia and Senegal. And who really cares about Poland?

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    World Cup time! Greatest sporting event in the world. Here's your rooting guide.

    Group A: Go Egypt. Salah a rising star. Go Saudi Arabia just because nobody likes Uruguay, and we all want Russia to fall flat on its face for being a dick country.

    Group B: Go Morocco. Then Spain just because nobody should be rooting for Iran in anything, and Portugal is such a bunch of pretty boys.

    Group C: Go Peru. The blanquirojas are in their first WC since 1982. And they are Ute colors. Then Australia because socceroos. France is a Euro juggernaut, so we should root against them. Denmark? So bland in every way. How did the Scandinavian nations rig all those happiness surveys to make people believe they are the happiest people on earth? No way the happiest people on earth live in a place where the sun doesn't come out for months at a time and where, between four nations, there is not one decent national cuisine.

    Group D: Go everyone. Seriously, the most likable group. Argentina is the Cleveland Cavs. Messi trying desperately to carry a bad team to a title. Argentina is the emotional favorite of all the contenders just for Leo. Iceland is fun. It's next to impossible to root against the African teams, especially when they play their European oppressors. And Croatia? Who has anything against them? They have the checkerboard jersey.

    Group E: Go Ticos! Costa Rica - always skillful, and always too little in stature to get it done against the taller Euros/Africans/Brasil. Then Brasil because it's fun when they are good. No reason to root for Serbia or Switzerland in anything.

    Group F: Vamos Mexico! America's other team! Then South Korea because it's great that Korea and Japan have come so far so quickly in soccer. Sweden is so happy with their fermented fish that they don't need a successful WC. And Germany started both great wars, so BOOOOO!

    Group G: Go Panama! This is their first World Cup! Ever! Then Tunisia because Belgium and England are so boring.

    Group H: Go Japan! Rising sun! Then Colombia and Senegal. And who really cares about Poland?
    Agree with absolutely everything, EXCEPT disagree about Argentina. The Italy of South America they should never be encouraged.

  14. #44
    Salah on the bench for Egypt versus Uruguay. Not good for Egypt's hopes.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Salah on the bench for Egypt versus Uruguay. Not good for Egypt's hopes.
    I wanted to see him.

    Egypt looks good though. Uruguay looks better.

  16. #46
    I’m in Peru for the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to enjoying some World Cup excitement outside the US.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Iím in Peru for the next 2 weeks. Looking forward to enjoying some World Cup excitement outside the US.
    I am jealous. Eat lots of cuy, anticuchos, lomo saltado, aji de gallina, and, of course, cebiche.

  18. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    The Italy of South America they should never be encouraged.
    What is bad about being the Italy of South America? Italy is a top three European nation (with France and Greece), right? I've never been to Europe, but I'm pretty sure I'd go to Italy about 10 times before I got bored enough to book a trip to England.

    So far, every game in the cup has gone against me. But that always happens because I root for underdogs and Leo Messi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •