Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2013-14 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I've never stormed, and I don't get the appeal, BUT maybe I just don't understand either. What is so great about storming? Thanks.
    It's a celebration. It's fun. I think I've done it 4 times at Utah games and twice for other teams. I've always thought it would a tradition for a bad team to have its fans storm after every win.

Wichita St. finishes an undefeated regular season. Pretty cool.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It's sickening that Oregon got to play UCLA in Pauly with UCLA missing its two best players. Two teams I want to play again are Oregon and Arizona.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's a celebration. It's fun. I think I've done it 4 times at Utah games and twice for other teams. I've always thought it would a tradition for a bad team to have its fans storm after every win.
    It is fun, but it does create really volatile situations. It seems scarier to me on basketball courts than on football fields.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Mighty 'Cuse is struggling against Virginia. Ennis has 4 fouls. That's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Mighty 'Cuse is struggling against Virginia. Ennis has 4 fouls. That's not good.
    Because of their recent struggles, I'm predicting Syracuse to go all the way. Ennis is the 'rill 'dill..

I just listened to Greg Wrubell call the last few minutes of the BYU-Gonzaga game. Good heavens. That guy is something else. I was actually embarrassed for him several times.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Word is that Wojo is taking the Marquette job.

When Boylen was fired, the two coaches I wanted most were (1) Tony Bennett and (2) Wojo. In hindsight, I was right on Tony. I'm excited to see about Wojo. Shaka might regret turning that thing down to stay at VCU. The bratwurst in Milwaukee is much better.

Yeah but the weather and everything else is better in Virginia . If I was Smart, Marquette is not the job I'd leave for. He has already turned down better jobs then that

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Utefan View Post
    Yeah but the weather and everything else is better in Virginia . If I was Smart, Marquette is not the job I'd leave for. He has already turned down better jobs then that
    But you are not Smart.

Am_I_Rite.jpg

Something to think about regarding Florida.

The Gators have lost two games this year, Wisconsin and UConn. They have a chance to avenge both losses. To dabble a bit with boxing-speak and history, by beating both Wisky and UConn, they would be viewed as undefeated, as in a rematch, they beat the teams that originally beat them. In the history of the heavyweight division, only two boxers have ever done this -- Rocky Marciano, who didn't lose at all, and Lennox Lewis, who avenged his only losses to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman by knockout. I'm not sure if any college basketball team has done something similar.

Also, if Florida beats Kentucky for a fourth time, I have to believe that is unprecedented as well. It doesn't take much to realize that such a feat would be, at worst, extremely rare.

UCONN to face Kentucky for the title. Parts of this UK/Wisconsin game reminded me a little of our game with them in 98.

Go Huskies.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    UCONN to face Kentucky for the title. Parts of this UK/Wisconsin game reminded me a little of our game with them in 98.

Go Huskies.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    Kentucky again. Yuck. Go Huskies.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Something to think about regarding Florida.

The Gators have lost two games this year, Wisconsin and UConn. They have a chance to avenge both losses. To dabble a bit with boxing-speak and history, by beating both Wisky and UConn, they would be viewed as undefeated, as in a rematch, they beat the teams that originally beat them. In the history of the heavyweight division, only two boxers have ever done this -- Rocky Marciano, who didn't lose at all, and Lennox Lewis, who avenged his only losses to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman by knockout. I'm not sure if any college basketball team has done something similar.

Also, if Florida beats Kentucky for a fourth time, I have to believe that is unprecedented as well. It doesn't take much to realize that such a feat would be, at worst, extremely rare.
    I'm still stunned Donovan screwed the pooch like he did. What a coaching disaster.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I'm still stunned Donovan screwed the pooch like he did. What a coaching disaster.
    Can you think of a past #1 seed who "cratered" as badly in the Final Four? I can''t. It was astonishing to watch.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Can you think of a past #1 seed who "cratered" as badly in the Final Four? I can''t. It was astonishing to watch.
    I think what we did to North Carolina in 1998 certainly qualifies. Yes, there was an anxious moment or two late, but we dominated that game for 35 minutes. And while we had four future NBA guys on that team in Doleac, Mottola, Miller and Britton, North Carolina had two of the three best players on the floor, and had such a matchup occurred six weeks earlier, perception would have been that they had the two best players on the floor.

This ain't the place for such an opinion, but I think Kentucky wins going away tonight. Not like UNLV did against Duke in 1990, but that "comfortable" win that Kentucky hasn't had the entire tournament comes tonight and the Cats win by 8-10 points.

This ain't the place for such an opinion, but I think Kentucky wins going away tonight. Not like UNLV did against Duke in 1990, but that "comfortable" win that Kentucky hasn't had the entire tournament comes tonight and the Cats win by 8-10 points.
    I do too, unfortunately. I think Kentucky is too big and strong on the glass for UConn. Both teams have had great luck to get this far, but Kentucky's bigs have been dominant.

I think what we did to North Carolina in 1998 certainly qualifies. Yes, there was an anxious moment or two late, but we dominated that game for 35 minutes. And while we had four future NBA guys on that team in Doleac, Mottola, Miller and Britton, North Carolina had two of the three best players on the floor, and had such a matchup occurred six weeks earlier, perception would have been that they had the two best players on the floor.
    I thought about that one too, but the size of the egg Miami laid last Saturday seems to dwarf the one North Carolina laid in 1998.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-07-2014 at 02:33 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I do too, unfortunately. I think Kentucky is too big and strong on the glass for UConn. Both teams have had great luck to get this far, but Kentucky's bigs have been dominant.
    I almost find myself rooting for Kentucky because a Cats win, strangely enough, elevates Wichita State's profile. You go 35-1 and the only team you lost to was the national champion. Does it really matter when/where that loss happened? How are you not No. 2 in the final polls? This answer becomes more emphatic if UK wins big tonight.

I heard Jay Bilas on the radio this morning saying this was the worst job the selection committee has done in many years, if not ever. Some teams overseeded, but Kentucky esp. underseeded. "All the metrics had Kentucky as a 4 at worst."
    WSU never should have played them in the second round.

the script for all of UK"s games has been the same: teams build up a lead on finesse, teamwork, and good outside shooting, then get beat up and worn down in the second half. Any reason that wont happen tonight?

I was going to say North Carolina 1998.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I heard Jay Bilas on the radio this morning saying this was the worst job the selection committee has done in many years, if not ever. Some teams overseeded, but Kentucky esp. underseeded. "All the metrics had Kentucky as a 4 at worst."
    WSU never should have played them in the second round.

the script for all of UK"s games has been the same: teams build up a lead on finesse, teamwork, and good outside shooting, then get beat up and worn down in the second half. Any reason that wont happen tonight?
    Bilas has an excellent point. KU was a 2 seed with the No. 1 SOS and an RPI of 3

Kentucky was an 8 seed with the No. 2 SOS and an RPI of 18.

Kentucky lost tonight because it was a disaster from the line and because it couldn't get Randle the ball in the blocks. But if Cauley-Stein didn't play against WSU, no way does Kentucky make it this far anyway.