Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

Hybrid View

Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

Last night was Iron Man 3. A quick review:

Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

Oh, and STOP RETIRING OUR SUPERHEROES at the end of the movie!!
    Last edited by sancho; 11-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.
    Why can't it be all inclusive? As long as the books are still available, does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by cald22well View Post
    Why can't it be all inclusive? As long as the books are still available, does it really matter?
    If funds were unlimited then I would have no problem with it being all inclusive. But on limited budgets I would prefer that it be spent on books (paper or electronic) than music and movies. This is just my opinion and should in no way be construde as a swipe at sancho. If his library provides for it then take advantage. I would just prefer that libraries did not.

OK, SullyUte has really tried to dampen the gloriousness of this thread. But we are not accepting wet blankets in this thread.

My wife (actually, me) just picked up Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 at the 'brary. Did you know that Tommy Lee Jones was an o-lineman? This movie promises to outshine our last braryflik: Magic Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    OK, SullyUte has really tried to dampen the gloriousness of this thread. But we are not accepting wet blankets in this thread.
    Someone had to crap on fertilize this thread a little to get it going. Now watch this thing grow. Sancho can thank me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Old fashioned.

Librarians have to justify their existence. You get more traffic if you offer what people want. People check out movies as much as books, if not more. Movies pad the stats.

Many movies are also educational or artistic in nature. There's also the concept of comparing the film version to the print version (e.g. World War Z).
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Old fashioned.

Librarians have to justify their existence. You get more traffic if you offer what people want. People check out movies as much as books, if not more. Movies pad the stats.

Many movies are also educational or artistic in nature. There's also the concept of comparing the film version to the print version (e.g. World War Z).
    See my earlier post about Magic Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

You sure fell for the ending....

What'd you think of World War Z? I found (to my surprise) that I liked it a lot. I had to go alone while my wife was out of town because she refused, and my daughter also said "no way."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Good thing those zombies lost 50% of their speed and leaping ability at the end in the WHO center.
    I assumed that was because they were proper English zombies instead of those American wanker zombies.

So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.
    First, you are assuming that the living dead cannot fly airplanes (that is a big assumption). Second, when they were in Korea they talked about how originally the virus took a a day or two to show signs, then it was a couple hours, and finally just a few seconds. So I think that the assumption is the virus spread across continents before it became an instant kiss of death.

So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.
    That will be explained in World War ZZ.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Well, in the film, they show how a zombie comes up an elevator from the baggage stowage into the cabin and it spreads on a plane.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 11-07-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

They weren't real zombies anyway. They just had zombie-like attributes.

--Yeats

Bad omens all over the place this week. Stanford beating Oregon was the worst of them. I started to doubt in the Ute's chances today. I needed something to give me some optimism back.

After the Utah "game" last night, we watched library movie The Way, Way Back. Good movie. Not Iron Man 3 good, no explosions, but (spoiler alert) it had the guy from Iron Man 2 in it, and that guy was great. And he dances again, just like in Iron Man 2. A movie about people in sad situations who manage to find some hope.

So I now enter game day with a good feeling. Thanks library and guy from Iron Man 2.
    That is a great movie, as I noted here:

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post16932

No one ever pays attention to my movie reviews. Anyway, sancho's right.

--Yeats

Just saw Kon-Tiki. Best adventure/anthropology/balsa wood raft movie of the summer. Question: would Thor Heyerdahl have become as famous with a different name? Answer: No, Thor Heyerdahl is the Max Power of Norwegian names.
    That reminds me of the fame of this baseball player: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rmstja01.shtml

I remember people just gushing over him, calling him, "The All-American Kid" or something along those lines. He did win one World Series, but he only had one winning season ever.

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    That reminds me of the fame of this baseball player: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rmstja01.shtml

I remember people just gushing over him, calling him, "The All-American Kid" or something along those lines. He did win one World Series, but he only had one winning season ever.
    Jack Armstrong the all American was a radio and book series he was also on the wheaties box.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

The last of the summer blockbusters are making it to the library:

Pacific Rim - forget everything else and just love the robots fighting monsters. Great movie.

Superman - No need to ever have Superman brood or to pretend that he would not be well received on earth. Otherwise, cool.

Paranoia - completely forgettable, except for Gary Oldman's accent. After an hour of confusion and fear, protagonist resolves the situation in 5 minutes once he realizes that he can go to the FBI.
    The only one of the three I have seen is Superman. The first 30 minutes were great, and then it turned into a regular superman movie, which I found less than entertaining.

No spoiler alerts on the Paranoia ending?

The last of the summer blockbusters are making it to the library:

Pacific Rim - forget everything else and just love the robots fighting monsters. Great movie.

Superman - No need to ever have Superman brood or to pretend that he would not be well received on earth. Otherwise, cool.

Paranoia - completely forgettable, except for Gary Oldman's accent. After an hour of confusion and fear, protagonist resolves the situation in 5 minutes once he realizes that he can go to the FBI.
    I was horribly disappointed in Superman.
    There was such an opportunity to flesh him out, show what it would be like for an alien with superpowers to try and grow up, adapt, and fit in. They showed glimpses of this, and I liked those, but it seemed they were just too rushed to getting to the scenes where there was punching and throwing people through walls. I seriously almost dozed off at that point. I had zero interest in the character.

Chappie-
    Interesting view of a somewhat dystopian South Africa where criminal gangs run wild in the streets, and a military supplier develops a super-cop robot to fight in the all-out gang war. At times it felt like an advertisement for a controversial punk rock band who provided a few songs on the soundtrack (and whose husband-wife duo have major supporting roles in the movie). Hugh Jackman plays the bad man, and that was a change for him.

The most intriguing part for me was the idea that a person's 'consciousness' is an actual living energy, and not just the sum of the memories and experiences. (Quick background: robot developer experiments with a 'sentient' bootstrap consciousness program and illegally uploads it to a damaged police robot, who then becomes self-aware. The damaged robot has only 5 days worth of battery power, and can't be recharged. Robot gets co-opted to use in a crime spree, and goes through an existential crisis and wonders why his 'maker' created him only to die. Much action and intrigue ensues).

This was a sort of Robocop mixed with deep philosophical conundrums. And with lots of foul language. I enjoyed it enough to watch again when it is on TV, but definitely won't buy it...

Bridge of Spies. A 45 minute episode of Law and Order followed by a good movie.

Dr. Strange. "Mister?... Doctor...Mister Doctor?...It's Strange....Maybe" Marvel just makes good movies.

Jack Reacher 2. Rule #1 about putting teenagers in your action movie: don't put teenagers in your action movie.

Assassin's Creed. This was just as bad as everyone said.

Passengers. This was better than everyone said, despite the uncomfortable love story.

Dr. Strange. "Mister?... Doctor...Mister Doctor?...It's Strange....Maybe" Marvel just makes good movies.

Jack Reacher 2. Rule #1 about putting teenagers in your action movie: don't put teenagers in your action movie.

Assassin's Creed. This was just as bad as everyone said.

Passengers. This was better than everyone said, despite the uncomfortable love story.
    Kind of fun to go back and read through this thread actually...

I've expressed that I've tired of the MCU movie formula and so I had some high hopes for Dr Strange. Didn't hate it but didn't love it.

I like Passengers. Slow moving movie but that is okay. I'm apparently a sucker for the alien/space movies.

I'll add the movie Sing. Rented for my girls, they loved it, not all that great. Music is good. I think I already reviewed Trolls, but low expectations made that bearable. If you have young daughters they'll get a kick out of dancing around to the music. Justin Timberlake does a good job on the music for Trolls.

Rogue One: This has actually become my favorite Star Wars movie. Yes, beating out all of the rest. I've watched it multiple times now, and unlike Episode 7, it gets better with more views and has in my mind a pretty compelling storyline. There is an element of doing wrong for right and the inner conflict. I love the distrust between characters. It actually fixes some of the goofy stuff with the original trilogy. Director Krenick is a compelling character as well.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I like the movie is the (spoiler alert) ending where the protagonists are killed by the death star is nearly identical to the most vivid and disturbing dreams of my life. In my dream my wife and I are out on a bike ride. We are up by the Huntsman Cancer Institute and I tell her that we should go up and check out the cafeteria on the roof, that it has one of the best views in the city. We are up there looking out at the valley when we see nuclear rockets coming into the valley. The first strikes and we see the blast spreading out across the valley. Everyone runs but I just grab my wife and we fell to our knees holding each other while I said to her, "It's over... It's over... I love you... " until the blast reached and obliterated us.

Weirdest, most disturbing but also strangely beautiful dream I've ever had. That scene and that dream still brings tears to my eyes.

Finally time for LA LA Land. Why make a happy musical have a sad ending? Bummer. Fine movie though. Made me glad that I'm living the dream.

--Yeats

XXX: The Return of Xander Cage. The sequel no one asked for. This movie is exactly what you think it is. Ridiculous, over-the-top action.

Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

Baby Driver: Pretty good. Getting tons of accolades, I liked it but not raving over it like everyone else.

Oops: wrong thread, meant to be in the other movie thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it works for both men and women.
    Last edited by bestellen; 01-03-2018 at 02:41 AM.

I'll put this here since I actually did get this movie from the library for once: Mad Max Fury Road. I watched the first half of it in my way-too-hot upstairs bedroom with the AC blasting so that it was hard to make out a lot of the dialogue (I couldn't turn it up too loud because there were lots of loud explosions and stuff and all the kids were sleeping down the hall). I missed a lot of the dialogue and never really understood the plot but I'm not sure this really mattered much. It's a movie built on fast action and a flame throwing guitar. Though I had no idea what was happening I still enjoyed it.