Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 65

Thread: Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

  1. #1

    Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

    We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

    The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

    Last night was Iron Man 3. A quick review:

    Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

    Oh, and STOP RETIRING OUR SUPERHEROES at the end of the movie!!
    Last edited by sancho; 11-07-2013 at 01:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.
    Why can't it be all inclusive? As long as the books are still available, does it really matter?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by cald22well View Post
    Why can't it be all inclusive? As long as the books are still available, does it really matter?
    If funds were unlimited then I would have no problem with it being all inclusive. But on limited budgets I would prefer that it be spent on books (paper or electronic) than music and movies. This is just my opinion and should in no way be construde as a swipe at sancho. If his library provides for it then take advantage. I would just prefer that libraries did not.

  5. #5
    OK, SullyUte has really tried to dampen the gloriousness of this thread. But we are not accepting wet blankets in this thread.

    My wife (actually, me) just picked up Harvard Beats Yale 29-29 at the 'brary. Did you know that Tommy Lee Jones was an o-lineman? This movie promises to outshine our last braryflik: Magic Mike.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

    The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

    Last night was Iron Man 3. A quick review:

    Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

    Oh, and STOP RETIRING OUR SUPERHEROES at the end of the movie!!
    You sure fell for the ending....

  7. #7
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,041
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are on the library system. We see all movies about 6-9 months after they are in the theater.

    The summer blockbusters are coming in, and we have seen Oblivion, No You See Me, Star Trek, and World War Z in the past 4 weeks.

    Last night was Iron Man 3. A quick review:

    Good movie. Entertaining. Prefer a little more Iron Man in my Iron Man movies. Bad ending. No AC/DC.

    Oh, and STOP RETIRING OUR SUPERHEROES at the end of the movie!!
    What'd you think of World War Z? I found (to my surprise) that I liked it a lot. I had to go alone while my wife was out of town because she refused, and my daughter also said "no way."

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    OK, SullyUte has really tried to dampen the gloriousness of this thread. But we are not accepting wet blankets in this thread.
    Someone had to crap on fertilize this thread a little to get it going. Now watch this thing grow. Sancho can thank me later.

  9. #9
    Educating Cyrus wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I have a hard time with modern music and hollywood videos in a library. I think that libraries should be for books.
    Old fashioned.

    Librarians have to justify their existence. You get more traffic if you offer what people want. People check out movies as much as books, if not more. Movies pad the stats.

    Many movies are also educational or artistic in nature. There's also the concept of comparing the film version to the print version (e.g. World War Z).
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Old fashioned.

    Librarians have to justify their existence. You get more traffic if you offer what people want. People check out movies as much as books, if not more. Movies pad the stats.

    Many movies are also educational or artistic in nature. There's also the concept of comparing the film version to the print version (e.g. World War Z).
    See my earlier post about Magic Mike.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Good thing those zombies lost 50% of their speed and leaping ability at the end in the WHO center.
    I assumed that was because they were proper English zombies instead of those American wanker zombies.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.
    First, you are assuming that the living dead cannot fly airplanes (that is a big assumption). Second, when they were in Korea they talked about how originally the virus took a a day or two to show signs, then it was a couple hours, and finally just a few seconds. So I think that the assumption is the virus spread across continents before it became an instant kiss of death.

  13. #13
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,041
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.
    That will be explained in World War ZZ.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  14. #14
    Educating Cyrus wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So how does that disease spread from one continent to another anyway? The infection is instantaneous. If a zombie gets on a plane, that plane is not going to make it across to the other continent safely, right? Everyone is probably dead before takeoff.
    Well, in the film, they show how a zombie comes up an elevator from the baggage stowage into the cabin and it spreads on a plane.
    Last edited by wuapinmon; 11-07-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

  15. #15
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,041
    They weren't real zombies anyway. They just had zombie-like attributes.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  16. #16
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,041
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Bad omens all over the place this week. Stanford beating Oregon was the worst of them. I started to doubt in the Ute's chances today. I needed something to give me some optimism back.

    After the Utah "game" last night, we watched library movie The Way, Way Back. Good movie. Not Iron Man 3 good, no explosions, but (spoiler alert) it had the guy from Iron Man 2 in it, and that guy was great. And he dances again, just like in Iron Man 2. A movie about people in sad situations who manage to find some hope.

    So I now enter game day with a good feeling. Thanks library and guy from Iron Man 2.
    That is a great movie, as I noted here:

    http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post16932

    No one ever pays attention to my movie reviews. Anyway, sancho's right.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  17. #17
    Educating Cyrus wuapinmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Just saw Kon-Tiki. Best adventure/anthropology/balsa wood raft movie of the summer. Question: would Thor Heyerdahl have become as famous with a different name? Answer: No, Thor Heyerdahl is the Max Power of Norwegian names.
    That reminds me of the fame of this baseball player: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rmstja01.shtml

    I remember people just gushing over him, calling him, "The All-American Kid" or something along those lines. He did win one World Series, but he only had one winning season ever.
    "This culture doesn't sell modesty. It sells "I am more modest than you" modesty." -- Two Utes

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    That reminds me of the fame of this baseball player: http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rmstja01.shtml

    I remember people just gushing over him, calling him, "The All-American Kid" or something along those lines. He did win one World Series, but he only had one winning season ever.
    Jack Armstrong the all American was a radio and book series he was also on the wheaties box.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The last of the summer blockbusters are making it to the library:

    Pacific Rim - forget everything else and just love the robots fighting monsters. Great movie.

    Superman - No need to ever have Superman brood or to pretend that he would not be well received on earth. Otherwise, cool.

    Paranoia - completely forgettable, except for Gary Oldman's accent. After an hour of confusion and fear, protagonist resolves the situation in 5 minutes once he realizes that he can go to the FBI.
    The only one of the three I have seen is Superman. The first 30 minutes were great, and then it turned into a regular superman movie, which I found less than entertaining.

    No spoiler alerts on the Paranoia ending?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Also, if I see it before you do, you didn't really want to see it very badly.
    Probably true.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The last of the summer blockbusters are making it to the library:

    Pacific Rim - forget everything else and just love the robots fighting monsters. Great movie.

    Superman - No need to ever have Superman brood or to pretend that he would not be well received on earth. Otherwise, cool.

    Paranoia - completely forgettable, except for Gary Oldman's accent. After an hour of confusion and fear, protagonist resolves the situation in 5 minutes once he realizes that he can go to the FBI.
    I was horribly disappointed in Superman.
    There was such an opportunity to flesh him out, show what it would be like for an alien with superpowers to try and grow up, adapt, and fit in. They showed glimpses of this, and I liked those, but it seemed they were just too rushed to getting to the scenes where there was punching and throwing people through walls. I seriously almost dozed off at that point. I had zero interest in the character.

  22. #22
    My wife picked up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time at the local 'brary. We didn't watch it the first time. I doubt we watch it this time either.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    My wife picked up Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time at the local 'brary. We didn't watch it the first time. I doubt we watch it this time either.
    You should, though, it's a good movie.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

  24. #24
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,041
    Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    You should, though, it's a good movie.
    It is. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It is. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had read the book.
    I've heard it's hard to follow if you haven't read the book.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's Oscar time at the library. It's gonna be tough to convince me that Pacific Rim is not the best movie of the year, but I'll give the others a fair chance.

    So far: Gravity, Captain Phillips, and Blue Jasmine. I liked them all. I've always hated Tom Hanks for turning traitor and leaving comedy to do Oscar stuff. I think he finally won me over with the last 20 minutes of Cap'n P.
    that scene at the very end with the medical person is one of the most impressive things I've seen on camera. ever.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No kidding. I've never acted before, but I think I could do Philadelphia, The Green Mile, Castaway, Saving Private Ryan, and maybe Forrest Gump. But not that. Not by a mile.
    My daughter and I were both moved to tears in that scene. He pulled us in.
    I heard on a podcast "Anatomy of a Movie", that the medical person was a real Navy medical person. Not an actor. And she was directed to just do what she does when treating the wounded.

    That's exactly why he gets paid a ton of money to something very few can do.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    My daughter and I were both moved to tears in that scene. He pulled us in.
    I heard on a podcast "Anatomy of a Movie", that the medical person was a real Navy medical person. Not an actor. And she was directed to just do what she does when treating the wounded.

    That's exactly why he gets paid a ton of money to something very few can do.
    I also liked Cap. Phillips. A little intense for my wife, though.

    We also just picked up Dallas Buyer's Club (at Redbox, not the 'brary. Sorry). It was pretty good, if a little too Hollywood. But Leto and my-boy-McConaughey were excellent.

  29. #29
    JLaw is a one trick pony, I fear. She was the same person in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't get the Jennifer Lawrence thing. She better be very, very good in Silver Linings Playbook because she brings nothing in the movies I've seen her in (this and X-men).
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    JLaw is a one trick pony, I fear. She was the same person in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle.
    I didn't like the Hunger Games either, but she is great in Winter's Bone. I haven't seen her in American Hustle but plan on it. I think she is a great actress. I would rather watch her act then Sandra Bullock, any day of the week.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •