Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

I thoroughly enjoyed Silver Linings. A ton. One of the few movies I've watched multiple times....

But, in full disclosure, it might be because that movie was filmed where we lived in Philly (you can see our house a couple of times and the hospital where my two boys were born), and it takes place during the time we lived there (I fully remember that Eagles/Cowboys game, and all the drama that led up to that game). So, I clearly have other reasons to watch that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed Silver Linings. A ton. One of the few movies I've watched multiple times....

But, in full disclosure, it might be because that movie was filmed where we lived in Philly (you can see our house a couple of times and the hospital where my two boys were born), and it takes place during the time we lived there (I fully remember that Eagles/Cowboys game, and all the drama that led up to that game). So, I clearly have other reasons to watch that movie.
    It was another trick movie for guys to take their wives to -- a football movie disguised as a chick flick. Or maybe vice versa. Anyway, it works for both men and women.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It was another trick movie for guys to take their wives to -- a football movie disguised as a chick flick. Or maybe vice versa. Anyway, it works for both men and women.
    I agree. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Jan/Feb movies have hit the library. These are usually terrible, but Hollywood came strong this year:

Power Ranking:

1) Shadow Recruit
    2) Non Stop
    3) Monuments Men
    4) 3 Days to Kill - False advertising. This is a family movie, a father-daughter relationship movie-that was sold as a spy/action thing. Booo!
    I haven't seen any of these, but I've heard Monuments Men is one of the unfunniest, bloated things Hollywood has done in a while. True?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I haven't seen any of these, but I've heard Monuments Men is one of the unfunniest, bloated things Hollywood has done in a while. True?
    The story is interesting (because it really happened and is interesting in its own right) but the movie is awful. I still sat through it because of its historicity, and I pretty much enjoyed it, but I had to overlook a lot. George Clooney directed, and the flick has all the marks of a director who had too much power and was allowed too many indulgences by the studio.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Just saw Monuments Men over the weekend and was very disappointed. It had such potential but couldn't decide if it was a light-hearted flick about the rag-tag bunch of misfits trying to make their way or a heavier piece where you really care about the characters. It tried to be both at various points but ended up being neither. There was a lot of dialogue that was supposed to be either funny or deep but completely missed the mark.

I don't get all the hate. It did have some funny moments, and a few poignant moments. No, not a great movie, but certainly not awful.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I don't get all the hate. It did have some funny moments, and a few poignant moments. No, not a great movie, but certainly not awful.
    No hate here. I enjoyed it. But some people will lack the patience to sit through some of it.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I think the way the movie was promoted led to a lot of that. It's one of those movies where they show all the good stuff in the preview and you're left wanting more when you watch the whole thing.

I certainly didn't hate it, but it was disappointing especially given the cast

Walter Mitty. Not a January movie, but another example of critics being too harsh. Good movie. Feel good story with good scenery, a snow leopard, and a tiny bit of soccer.
    I enjoyed Walter Mitty quite a lot. It was very enjoyable and my kids loved it too.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I enjoyed Walter Mitty quite a lot. It was very enjoyable and my kids loved it too.
    My older daughter liked it, but by two younger kids (8 & 6) got bored and fell asleep during the movie.

Maleficent. I've always believed in the power of low expectations. It almost always works with movies. But this time, low as they were, my expectations were not low enough. This is the prequel nobody wanted, and it is not a good film.

But with this and the Dracula movie, I'm wondering what other classic movie villains should get the sympathetic prequel treatment. The power ranking:

1. Hans Gruber. We're all dying to see little Hans Gruber being neglected by his parents.
    2. Megatron. He was bullied by the cool transformers when he was in high school.
    3. Police Chief from the Police Academy movies. I'm sure there's a good, heartwarming reason he's so anti-Guttenberg.
    4. Hans Landa. Another Hans? Come on. How lazy is this list?
    5. Angel Eyes. Poor, misunderstood Angel Eyes.
    That got a hardy LOL from me.

Interstellar arrived at the library. Two hours of great movie, 30 minutes of goofy sci-fi bailout ending. That's a pretty good ratio. Thumbs up.

Exodus - Gods and Kings. This was not as bad as people said. Anytime you get to see plagues and red sea partings, it's not a complete loss. The Moses/God interactions, however, were really strange.
    Felt the exact same about Interstellar. Really enjoyed most of it but it went off the rails at the end.

McFarland. Apparently, McFarland is a small Mexican-American utopia in central CA. This movie has some bad lines, but it's still a sports movie with Kevin Costner. He has a perfect record with sports movies and westerns, right? "That's not Danny Diaz! That's not Danny Diaz!" And with that, my posting spree is over. Hope you enjoyed it.
    We liked that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Dumb and Dumber To. Better than it could/should have been, but it would have been better 10 years ago. The letter/address joke was classic.

"Of course God is a big joker. Why else would he put testicles on the outside where somebody could do this?" (Lloyd punches Harry in the junk)
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 09-01-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Out of the Woods. I don't mind musicals, but this was hard to watch. Went on and on and on.
    "The slotted spoon catches the potato"

Chappie-
    Interesting view of a somewhat dystopian South Africa where criminal gangs run wild in the streets, and a military supplier develops a super-cop robot to fight in the all-out gang war. At times it felt like an advertisement for a controversial punk rock band who provided a few songs on the soundtrack (and whose husband-wife duo have major supporting roles in the movie). Hugh Jackman plays the bad man, and that was a change for him.

The most intriguing part for me was the idea that a person's 'consciousness' is an actual living energy, and not just the sum of the memories and experiences. (Quick background: robot developer experiments with a 'sentient' bootstrap consciousness program and illegally uploads it to a damaged police robot, who then becomes self-aware. The damaged robot has only 5 days worth of battery power, and can't be recharged. Robot gets co-opted to use in a crime spree, and goes through an existential crisis and wonders why his 'maker' created him only to die. Much action and intrigue ensues).

This was a sort of Robocop mixed with deep philosophical conundrums. And with lots of foul language. I enjoyed it enough to watch again when it is on TV, but definitely won't buy it...

Bridge of Spies. A 45 minute episode of Law and Order followed by a good movie.

Dr. Strange. "Mister?... Doctor...Mister Doctor?...It's Strange....Maybe" Marvel just makes good movies.

Jack Reacher 2. Rule #1 about putting teenagers in your action movie: don't put teenagers in your action movie.

Assassin's Creed. This was just as bad as everyone said.

Passengers. This was better than everyone said, despite the uncomfortable love story.

Dr. Strange. "Mister?... Doctor...Mister Doctor?...It's Strange....Maybe" Marvel just makes good movies.

Jack Reacher 2. Rule #1 about putting teenagers in your action movie: don't put teenagers in your action movie.

Assassin's Creed. This was just as bad as everyone said.

Passengers. This was better than everyone said, despite the uncomfortable love story.
    Kind of fun to go back and read through this thread actually...

I've expressed that I've tired of the MCU movie formula and so I had some high hopes for Dr Strange. Didn't hate it but didn't love it.

I like Passengers. Slow moving movie but that is okay. I'm apparently a sucker for the alien/space movies.

I'll add the movie Sing. Rented for my girls, they loved it, not all that great. Music is good. I think I already reviewed Trolls, but low expectations made that bearable. If you have young daughters they'll get a kick out of dancing around to the music. Justin Timberlake does a good job on the music for Trolls.

Rogue One: This has actually become my favorite Star Wars movie. Yes, beating out all of the rest. I've watched it multiple times now, and unlike Episode 7, it gets better with more views and has in my mind a pretty compelling storyline. There is an element of doing wrong for right and the inner conflict. I love the distrust between characters. It actually fixes some of the goofy stuff with the original trilogy. Director Krenick is a compelling character as well.

Perhaps one of the reasons that I like the movie is the (spoiler alert) ending where the protagonists are killed by the death star is nearly identical to the most vivid and disturbing dreams of my life. In my dream my wife and I are out on a bike ride. We are up by the Huntsman Cancer Institute and I tell her that we should go up and check out the cafeteria on the roof, that it has one of the best views in the city. We are up there looking out at the valley when we see nuclear rockets coming into the valley. The first strikes and we see the blast spreading out across the valley. Everyone runs but I just grab my wife and we fell to our knees holding each other while I said to her, "It's over... It's over... I love you... " until the blast reached and obliterated us.

Weirdest, most disturbing but also strangely beautiful dream I've ever had. That scene and that dream still brings tears to my eyes.

Finally time for LA LA Land. Why make a happy musical have a sad ending? Bummer. Fine movie though. Made me glad that I'm living the dream.

The Great Wall. This is a really bad movie. Never did find out what the yellow armor was for. Blue was for diving, black for foot soldiers, purple for shields, red for archers. What's the yellow for, Matt Damon? And where is your character's accent from?

Finally time for LA LA Land. Why make a happy musical have a sad ending? Bummer. Fine movie though. Made me glad that I'm living the dream.
    I kind of liked the ending. Most of us have a first love that for whatever reason didn't work out.

You sap! If the movie had ended with a happy ending I would have asked for my money back. The ending was the best part about the whole thing.
    Last edited by Applejack; 06-26-2017 at 10:27 AM.

You sap! If the movie had ended with a happy ending I would have asked for my money back. The ending was the best part about the whole thing.
    It was a real-life ending and I liked the discussions it provoked. But like that sap sancho I go to movie musicals to escape reality and live in the cinematic fantasy world. You dour-minded realist.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It was a real-life ending and I liked the discussions it provoked.
    This is true. I wouldn't have spent another minute thinking about a happy ending movie. As it was, I spent some time thinking about what they were saying about achieving your dreams and being happy.

This is true. I wouldn't have spent another minute thinking about a happy ending movie. As it was, I spent some time thinking about what they were saying about achieving your dreams and being happy.
    See!

That's the spirit.

--Yeats

XXX: The Return of Xander Cage. The sequel no one asked for. This movie is exactly what you think it is. Ridiculous, over-the-top action.

Latest movie my wife picked up at the library

Baby Driver: Pretty good. Getting tons of accolades, I liked it but not raving over it like everyone else.

Oops: wrong thread, meant to be in the other movie thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk