Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Utes vs. St. Katherine's of the Poor: Official Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Spoiler alert! Utah wins: 124-51

Who had Utah -73?

I was trying to remember the largest margin of victory we ever had. I have it in some media guide somewhere. It seems like it was close to a 100 points or so. Evansville or something like that
    94 I think

Second was set against the Geoducks at 84 I believe.

No injuries?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    No injuries?
    None. The reserves played almost all of the second half.

Going into this game, I was worried they would "play down" to the level of the opponent. Especially coming off of Christmas break. As far as I could tell, it looked like the team kept their focus and played hard.

At least until the 8 minute mark when all of the scrubs started coming in. Things have gotten a bit ragged since then.

That shows some solid discipline.
    The only way we could've "played down" to the level of St. Kat's was to have our entire team showing up drunk or hungover.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The only way we could've "played down" to the level of St. Kat's was to have our entire team showing up drunk or hungover.
    It was pathetic to watch.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Not necessarily. We could've been sloppy and not focused. We seemed focused and crisp.

Interesting twist on the Saint Katherine game -- the Majerus coaching tree is involved.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...tant.html?pg=1

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Not necessarily. We could've been sloppy and not focused. We seemed focused and crisp.
    I'm not sure how focused and crisp we were; 14 turnovers against that team was ridiculous, and a lot of them were sloppy and lazy.

On a positive note, I really liked what Ogbe did with the ball in his hands. He's really smooth for someone his size and sees the court extremely well. You can tell that he has a lot of experience running the point.

Well, that was dominating. I'm looking forward to PAC 12 play to see how we stand up to consistent competition.

Quick St. Katherine facts:

Enrollment: 102 (15 states represented); 19% Hispanic, 11% African American, 2% Asian American, 2% Pacific Islander; 12 different denominations represented.
    102 students?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Quick St. Katherine facts: 102 students?
    1/9 of the school plays basketball, those are amazing odds. I recall reading somewhere that they were a player short after open tryouts so they combed the local 24 Hour Fitness and filled out the roster with the best player on the court.

When does their Disney film come out?

I never thought I would get bored watching a Utah game. There have been times when I stopped watching out of frustration, but boredom?
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

From the It Could Always Be Worse Department: Southern beat the misnamed Champion Baptist 116-12.

What a game! I'm two weeks late in posting this review, but I'm sure that everyone on this board is still giddy over the beatdown we put on St. Kattys. It was my first game at the Hunty since Jimmer happened, so I feel like a freshly bathed infant. Some highlights:

- Warmups. St Katherine's didn't even shoot around before the game. I guess if you played SDSU less than 12 hours earlier, you might not need to warmup.
    - St Katty's starting center. The program listed him as 6''7' 190. If he weighs 190, Karl Malone barely cracked 200 in his prime. That guy was a tub of butter with glasses and a bowl cut. Speaking of which, how does a guy from Brooklyn have a bowl cut? Shouldn't he be either a gangster or a hipster? Maybe bowl cuts are back, I don't know.
    - St Katty's offense. They tried to push the tempo, which is an interesting strategy when you suck rocks. The only time they effectively scored the ball was when we cleared our bench. With PVD, Fields, and Ogbe in the game, they had their 34 year old wolf-like 2 guard run the attack. The guy was undoubtedly an incredible pickup baller as he hit a couple of tough layins in a row. On his last one (basket and a foul) he stuck his tongue out and looked at his bench like he'd just tied the game. The lead was 64 at that point.
    - Kovacevic. I'm not impressed. He will be a liability on defense all year. He doesn't move his feet well and he's undersized. I'm not sure he will take any minutes away from Olsen/Lenz. Is it possible we burned his redshirt because LarryKry doesn't want him eating up a scholarship for three years?
    - Fields/Ogbe. This is the first extended run for both of these freshman. I'm still not sure what we have, but both guys are really long and mobile. My impression is that the coaches envision a lock-down defender role for Fields - he has the length/quickness, but he's a long way from being effective. He gets beat easily off the dribble because he doesn't stay low enough (instead he relies on his length like Kirilenko used to do, but he's not as long as Kirilenko). He's also out of shape, as he was winded after playing for about 6 minutes. I get the sense that the coaches view Ogbe as a point guard once Wright graduates. He has very good vision and is big for a pg. I'm not sold on his handle just yet, but it wasn't ridiculously bad.
    - PVD. The ghost is a heady basketball player. He makes good decisions and shoots in the right spots. He is terrible on defense, however. I think his role will be bench scorer for all 4 years at the U. That's fine, we need someone to fill that role.
    - Delon Wright looked really disinterested in this game. Me too.
    - Olsen's hands are not good. He drops a lot of entry passes. When he catches the ball he does good things with it, but he drops two or three a game. Reminds me of Ostertag.
    - Swoop. Has swoop lost weight? He looked emaciated out there. He looks like a bunch of my high school friends who spent all day doing bench press and never lifted legs. Maybe the chicken look is what we are going for.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Interesting twist on the Saint Katherine game -- the Majerus coaching tree is involved.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...tant.html?pg=1
    LA, you need to be a better student of my (original) posts. I scooped the Deznewz by nearly a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    What a game! I'm two weeks late in posting this review, but I'm sure that everyone on this board is still giddy over the beatdown we put on St. Kattys. It was my first game at the Hunty since Jimmer happened, so I feel like a freshly bathed infant. Some highlights:

- Warmups. St Katherine's didn't even shoot around before the game. I guess if you played SDSU less than 12 hours earlier, you might not need to warmup.
    - St Katty's starting center. The program listed him as 6''7' 190. If he weighs 190, Karl Malone barely cracked 200 in his prime. That guy was a tub of butter with glasses and a bowl cut. Speaking of which, how does a guy from Brooklyn have a bowl cut? Shouldn't he be either a gangster or a hipster? Maybe bowl cuts are back, I don't know.
    - St Katty's offense. They tried to push the tempo, which is an interesting strategy when you suck rocks. The only time they effectively scored the ball was when we cleared our bench. With PVD, Fields, and Ogbe in the game, they had their 34 year old wolf-like 2 guard run the attack. The guy was undoubtedly an incredible pickup baller as he hit a couple of tough layins in a row. On his last one (basket and a foul) he stuck his tongue out and looked at his bench like he'd just tied the game. The lead was 64 at that point.
    - Kovacevic. I'm not impressed. He will be a liability on defense all year. He doesn't move his feet well and he's undersized. I'm not sure he will take any minutes away from Olsen/Lenz. Is it possible we burned his redshirt because LarryKry doesn't want him eating up a scholarship for three years?
    - Fields/Ogbe. This is the first extended run for both of these freshman. I'm still not sure what we have, but both guys are really long and mobile. My impression is that the coaches envision a lock-down defender role for Fields - he has the length/quickness, but he's a long way from being effective. He gets beat easily off the dribble because he doesn't stay low enough (instead he relies on his length like Kirilenko used to do, but he's not as long as Kirilenko). He's also out of shape, as he was winded after playing for about 6 minutes. I get the sense that the coaches view Ogbe as a point guard once Wright graduates. He has very good vision and is big for a pg. I'm not sold on his handle just yet, but it wasn't ridiculously bad.
    - PVD. The ghost is a heady basketball player. He makes good decisions and shoots in the right spots. He is terrible on defense, however. I think his role will be bench scorer for all 4 years at the U. That's fine, we need someone to fill that role.
    - Delon Wright looked really disinterested in this game. Me too.
    - Olsen's hands are not good. He drops a lot of entry passes. When he catches the ball he does good things with it, but he drops two or three a game. Reminds me of Ostertag.
    - Swoop. Has swoop lost weight? He looked emaciated out there. He looks like a bunch of my high school friends who spent all day doing bench press and never lifted legs. Maybe the chicken look is what we are going for.

LA, you need to be a better student of my (original) posts. I scooped the Deznewz by nearly a month!
    Surely you didn't think we would not notice here the glaring absence of any explanation for your failure to paint your chest. (Notice I didn't refer to it as a broken promise, but I could have.)

--Yeats