Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about stadium expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Then we'll be waiting a long, long time.��
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Don't expand the stadium until we've had at least a couple of down years and still filled it. recent 4-8 years don't count, as the P12 inclusion afterglow was still in effect.
    Or we could expand it and just keep winning.

Banned
    We should expand this stadium. The South end zone needs rebuilt anyway. The building should have the stadium locker-rooms expanded and brought up to a better standard. Completing the bowl makes sense. Our stadium doesn't really need to be bigger than around 55 thousand, which would be average for a decent P5 school. The added fans next to the MUSS would make the South end zone crazy... maybe even louder than the North.

DO this Chris Hill!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    Showed the still shot of the South stands to my friend who sits next me at the games. His question, "Where's my Jumbotron?" Hopefully it would be a big screen that would go above the roof. Right? Move the south screen above the NEZ. Hopefully.
    Attachment 220
    Yep... This right here with the Jumbotron on top of the box seating... Brilliant plan. Do this Chris Hill!

So I'm not a proponent of stadium expansion, particularly because I believe completing the end zone doesn't bring in high enough dollar return or donations from who would be buying those seats, but a thought:

Watching the Oregon v ASU game last night, their student section was behind the endzone. We know that whether the muss shows up or not the ASUU buys all the tickets, so that is a guaranteed sale. If they do complete the stadium why not move the Muss and visiting fans into the endzone and fetch higher dollar for those seats on the side?

Of course moving students next to visitors may not be the wisest thing... But the point is if they're gonna do it move the guaranteed sold and non season tickets into the endzone and sell the sidelines to season ticket holders who might be higher dollar and higher donor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    So I'm not a proponent of stadium expansion, particularly because I believe completing the end zone doesn't bring in high enough dollar return or donations from who would be buying those seats, but a thought:

Watching the Oregon v ASU game last night, their student section was behind the endzone. We know that whether the muss shows up or not the ASUU buys all the tickets, so that is a guaranteed sale. If they do complete the stadium why not move the Muss and visiting fans into the endzone and fetch higher dollar for those seats on the side?

Of course moving students next to visitors may not be the wisest thing... But the point is if they're gonna do it move the guaranteed sold and non season tickets into the endzone and sell the sidelines to season ticket holders who might be higher dollar and higher donor?

Cause a lot of us like the end zone seats

I would be very pissed off to lose my end zone seats I've held for 33 years and get stuck on the side where I don't enjoy the view.

I think a lot of other people who sit in the south end zone would feel the same way. We sit there because we like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Cause a lot of us like the end zone seats

I would be very pissed off to lose my end zone seats I've held for 33 years and get stuck on the side where I don't enjoy the view.

I think a lot of other people who sit in the south end zone would feel the same way. We sit there because we like it.

You know I've tried the south end zone on a number of occasions and just can't acclimate to the depth beyond midfield. Was that a 2 yard gain or a 4 yard loss? I feel like maybe I'm missing something. What about the SEZ do you like so much?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    You know I've tried the south end zone on a number of occasions and just can't acclimate to the depth beyond midfield. Was that a 2 yard gain or a 4 yard loss? I feel like maybe I'm missing something. What about the SEZ do you like so much?
    I love watching the play unfold. I can see the entire play and watch how it develops.

I've sat there for so long I have no issues seeing where the ball is etc.

The only thing that would be nice is a screen in the North Endzone so we could see replays etc.

(And the new sound system design would be nice. The current sound system is annoyingly loud)

Board of Regents votes on new 118 x 66 video board and distributed sound system tomorrow. Expected to be approved. ($13.8 million total)

Board of Regents votes on new 118 x 66 video board and distributed sound system tomorrow. Expected to be approved. ($13.8 million total)

Interesting dimensions. Lots of video boards are wider than 118', but I don't think anyone in CFB has a 66-foot tall board.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Interesting dimensions. Lots of video boards are wider than 118', but I don't think anyone in CFB has a 66-foot tall board.

Maybe we are on an old tv format, like your Sony Trinitron.

They were toying with the idea of having a double sided one that faced 500 south. Is that still on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    They went for the true 16 x 9 aspect ratio from what has been said. And per Wikipedia there are only about 5 college stadiums with wider screens.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    They were toying with the idea of having a double sided one that faced 500 south. Is that still on the table?
    Nope. 500 South side will be a static U.

I think they are spending that money to get the upgraded sound system. There will be speakers around the entire stadium rather than in the scoreboard.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...m_video_boards

8 longer. Ours would appear to be the tallest.

During the UCLA game, they showed a visualization of what the new board will look like. Is that available online?

Drove past the stadium today. The scoreboard is huge.

Perhaps Hill is getting advice from the UW AD?

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/u...6-fiscal-year/

New stadium lighting! I didn't know they were doing this.

https://twitter.com/bjammin9/status/742095020820287490

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    New stadium lighting! I didn't know they were doing this.

https://twitter.com/bjammin9/status/742095020820287490
    That's just illumination from the score board. Am I missing something?

I was up at 11th Avenue Park on the north side of SLC last night and the scoreboard looked huge even from that far away. There seemed to be a lot of testing going on, with color changes and so forth.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

from what I understand, Utah's RES locker rooms are by far the worst in the PAC-12 and among the worst in the West. I believe Hill has mentioned the locker rooms are a priority, so I think the South End Zone will be the next major athletic dept. project. I think the projections for that are North of $40 million for that section. which is nearly what it cost for the total renovation back in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    from what I understand, Utah's RES locker rooms are by far the worst in the PAC-12 and among the worst in the West. I believe Hill has mentioned the locker rooms are a priority, so I think the South End Zone will be the next major athletic dept. project. I think the projections for that are North of $40 million for that section. which is nearly what it cost for the total renovation back in 1999.
    Last I saw it was well over $50 Million. That's one of the reasons Chris Hill hasn't rushed into it. We have had a lot of infrastructure upgrades, he's been reluctant to ask the same donors for a huge sum for the stadium when the other projects were more necessary for program health

Last I saw it was well over $50 Million. That's one of the reasons Chris Hill hasn't rushed into it. We have had a lot of infrastructure upgrades, he's been reluctant to ask the same donors for a huge sum for the stadium when the other projects were more necessary for program health

Star is a free agent next year and should get paid...so let's get that donation in!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I thought part of that was the scoreboard price too, but I could be mistaken

I thought part of that was the scoreboard price too, but I could be mistaken
    It may have been, but given the prices paid for other construction projects locally these days I'd be surprised if they could do it under $50,000,000.

With the locker rooms and the need for field access through that area it's more than just concrete bleachers which will up the cost. Needless to say it's not going to be cheap one way or the other

We're down to smaller projects other than this, with the new baseball field being the largest so that helps. A

Based on the article by Kyle Goon on 6/24 it sounds like the south end zone project is still in the we dont know what we want to do phase? It sounds like building a baseball and golf facility are higher priorities.

Based on the article by Kyle Goon on 6/24 it sounds like the south end zone project is still in the we dont know what we want to do phase? It sounds like building a baseball and golf facility are higher priorities.
    Those aren't mutually exclusive projects. The golf facility has been in the talking stage for some time, it's a matter of where it will be built (not on campus). The baseball field will be built. Smith's Ballpark is not a good situation for the team or for the Bees. It needs to change.

The debate regarding the south end zone is what is to be included and then how to fund it.

People need to keep in mind the football and basketball practice facilities were huge projects, and the end zone will cost more. It will happen, but what ultimately is included and when it's done are still up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    lesson learned - if you wait 5 years after the initial feasibility study, your numbers are stale
    Last edited by Scorcho; 03-27-2017 at 01:53 PM.