Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about stadium expansion

Cool Let's talk about stadium expansion

This deserves more discussion than it got. Here's the video released by the athletics department:

And here's the render from the video:
    [SPOILER][/SPOILER]

What do you guys think? Do you like the plans that have been presented? Do you think it will happen anytime soon?

Wow, is that the South End Zone? That brings a tear to my eye, it is so beautiful!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    What do you guys think? Do you like the plans that have been presented? Do you think it will happen anytime soon?
    I think that looks outstanding! I would love to see that get built.

I would like to see the game day locker rooms under the south stands be constructed nice enough to sway opinion in our direction, with recruits making the choice between Utah and other programs.

Leaving the bad-ass locker room and entering a sold out roaring Rice-Eccles sure wouldn't hurt recruiting.
    Last edited by Devildog; 02-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.

I think the basketball and football practice facilities will have an immediate impact on recruiting. That's not something very visible to us as fans but it is real.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I know some don't like the luxury boxes in the end zone, but I think they will be successful. I really like the overall look.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Wow that's nice. Hope Dr Hill pulls the plans out of his drawer and makes it happen. Colorado just announced $170M in football facility upgrades.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...ncf&id=8968420
    Last edited by San Diego Ute Fan; 02-20-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

I'm guessing that this SEZ expansion would be $50-$150 million by itself. The 1997 rebuild of Rice-Eccles cost $50 million and Hill said that this expansion would cost even more than that.

I get the feeling that we won't see this expansion anytime soon unless we have some really good seasons.

I'm guessing that this SEZ expansion would be $50-$150 million by itself. The 1997 rebuild of Rice-Eccles cost $50 million and Hill said that this expansion would cost even more than that.

I get the feeling that we won't see this expansion anytime soon unless we have some really good seasons.

I know HeartlessUtes is well connected with the construction world and he has thrown out $70 Mil as a ball park number.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    Wow that's nice. Hope Dr Hill pulls the plans out of his drawer and makes it happen. Colorado just announced $170M in football facility upgrades.
    Colorado needs that money bad. Their facilities are way behind the curve. Folsom Field is cool though.

Our new football center is looking good and looks to be nearing completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Colorado needs that money bad. Their facilities are way behind the curve. Folsom Field is cool though.

Our new football center is looking good and looks to be nearing completion.
    I heard from a buddy that it is ahead of schedule and looks impressive. Nicely done Dr. Hill.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I heard from a buddy that it is ahead of schedule and looks impressive. Nicely done Dr. Hill.
    This football center is a big upgrade from what we had before. The new center looks great, it is much larger and nicer.

Now we should enclose the south stands at the stadium. Imagine how loud that would be down there.

Hell, I'm doing my part by renewing my season tickets.

Edit*

Does anybody know how many seats that expansion would add to the seating capacity of Rice-Eccles?

Hill said that some teams were looking to reduce seating capacity in their stadiums and that Utah and Oregon were the only two consistently at capacity. I'm thinking around 55,000 seats sounds like a good PAC 12 average, and I think the Utes could get that filled for big games right now, let alone future growth.
    Last edited by Devildog; 02-21-2013 at 01:29 AM.

I used to work with a company that worked a lot with FFKR. I saw these exact plans, and 5 others, during a meeting back in 07, this has long been on the drawing board (obviously since the footing is in place for expansion so there was foresight there). Nice to know what ones they went with, these weren't my favorite but they're better than the others I saw. I didn't get a lot of information because I was there for a different project but at the time I heard the plans ranged between $55-105mil. It's a large price range but one plan was just a remodel of the SEZ and one was closing the SEZ and adding an upperdeck and pressbox to the East side so I'd be inclined to go with the $70mil figure Jarid heard from HeartlessUte.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    This football center is a big upgrade from what we had before. The new center looks great, it is much larger and nicer.

Now we should enclose the south stands at the stadium. Imagine how loud that would be down there.

Hell, I'm doing my part by renewing my season tickets.

Edit*

Does anybody know how many seats that expansion would add to the seating capacity of Rice-Eccles?

Hill said that some teams were looking to reduce seating capacity in their stadiums and that Utah and Oregon were the only two consistently at capacity. I'm thinking around 55,000 seats sounds like a good PAC 12 average, and I think the Utes could get that filled for big games right now, let alone future growth.
    I think The expansion is shooting for between 55,000 and 60,000. What Hill doesn't mention is that those other programs that are reducing their capacity is because they can't fill up all 85,000 seats and a packed house looks better on TV. I think if they set up a real waiting list for season tix, including new ticket holders and current ones wanting to expand, they would see there is demand for tickets. Though much will be said for ticket sales when renewal comes to a close and the remainder go on sale. Last year had a 98% renewal rate and after that season I think it'll drop a little.

If/When Utah decides to expand I think demand will be there for the tickets, our vistor's section right now is pathetic. These past two seasons i've seen more visiting fans than I had in previous years from MWC school.

With Michigan, U$C and Oregon coming to town the need for more seating will be there and right now we just don't have it.

I'm trying to track down the link for it, but my Oregon buddy told me last night that the Ducks are dropping another 150 Million on expanding their football facilities.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

It's nice to know this is really being discussed at a high level.

I'd seen lots of posters mention it was being discussed, but I hadn't seen anything official.

Maybe with Salt Lake pondering another Olympic bid, this gets put on the fast track.

It has to happen, and it needs to be soon. 45,000 is not big enough for a major program in a major conference. I'd like to see it go to around 65,000. There's no reason why the biggest city in the state shouldn't have the biggest stadium.

My guess is we are going to top out at about 55,000.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    It's nice to know this is really being discussed at a high level.

I'd seen lots of posters mention it was being discussed, but I hadn't seen anything official.

Maybe with Salt Lake pondering another Olympic bid, this gets put on the fast track.

It has to happen, and it needs to be soon. 45,000 is not big enough for a major program in a major conference. I'd like to see it go to around 65,000. There's no reason why the biggest city in the state shouldn't have the biggest stadium.
    I think about 58,000 would be enough for now. We shouldn't factor in the size of the TDS' stadium into the equation. That's a different animal. Let's go quality over quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    My guess is we are going to top out at about 55,000.
    I hope your right, 53,000 (2k visitors) Ute fans would be a fantastic environment!! You go much bigger and it creates bad seats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma Ute View Post
    I think about 58,000 would be enough for now. We shouldn't factor in the size of the TDS' stadium into the equation. That's a different animal. Let's go quality over quantity.
    My thought exactly. 55K in the current configuration with the south endzone enclosed would be a beautiful and loud and good sized stadium.

I'm not really factoring in TDS's stadium to get to that number. I'm mostly factoring in the size of the other PAC 12 stadiums. I think Utah should be right up there with rest of them.

I do think if TDS can support that number Utah can as well. However, I'm not saying Utah has to have it just because TDS has it.

I'll take 55,000 and be happy about it, absolutely. I would be even happier if they leveled off the north end zone so the top was level with the rest of the stadium, redid the south end zone so it was enclosed, and brought the capacity up to around 65,000.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    I'm not really factoring in TDS's stadium to get to that number. I'm mostly factoring in the size of the other PAC 12 stadiums. I think Utah should be right up there with rest of them.

I do think if TDS can support that number Utah can as well. However, I'm not saying Utah has to have it just because TDS has it.

I'll take 55,000 and be happy about it, absolutely. I would be even happier if they leveled off the north end zone so the top was level with the rest of the stadium, redid the south end zone so it was enclosed, and brought the capacity up to around 65,000.
    My only fear is that if they expand too much and we have a string of bad years and are not selling out it no longer becomes a "hot ticket". I'd rather see 55,000 in a 55,000 seat stadium than 57,000 in a 68,000 seat stadium.

My only fear is that if they expand too much and we have a string of bad years and are not selling out it no longer becomes a "hot ticket". I'd rather see 55,000 in a 55,000 seat stadium than 57,000 in a 68,000 seat stadium.
    From a business perspective you're probably right. From a fan's perspective, I'd rather be able to buy tickets at a decent price.

So I'd rather see 57,000 people in a 65,000 seat stadium. If they're not selling out then they will lower the prices, and I won't have to buy tickets from scalpers. I would also probably be able to get seats together if I have a few friends that want to go to a game on short notice.

I hope that we build out to about 60-62,000. I think that gives the best balance between keeping an intimate feeling stadium and increasing ticket inventory for fans.
    André Gide

I believe the buildout that has been talked about most will increase capacity to about 55 - 57k depending on whether they add bleachers or chairs. I have heard it discussed that they might take the student section on the east side, put in chair seats and move the students to the new south endzone on bleachers. Chair seats obviously demand a higher ticket price then bench seats behind the endzone. I fall in the category of people who would like to see expansion start in 3 or 4 years when we see how the demand really is after 4 or 5 years in the PAC12. Although I certainly believe that there are Ute fans who would like to be able to purchase more tickets, it also appears that tickets are being sold on the secondary market more then ever. I am really frustrated with the people around us who sell tickets to the majority of the games to fans of the opposing team. The BYU and USC guys were okay, but the Arizona guys and the Washington and ASU people the year before were total tools. Maybe the expansion will take care of that issue and if it does, I will be a happier camper.

Expanding the stadium doesn't solve the secondary market problem unless the stadium isn't consistently selling out.

As long as the stadium is sold out, the secondary market for selling tickets will continue to boom.

I'd like to see them put in seats over in the NEZ, too many games over the years when people have packed in and it causes problems.
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Question about that rendering. Does anyone know what happens to the video board?

Quote Originally Posted by Horikor View Post
    Question about that rendering. Does anyone know what happens to the video board?
    The render is merely a feasibility study, so they may have not taken the video board into account. Furthermore, I've heard rumors about a new, giant video board on the North side of the stadium.

If those new plans were in place I think the new board would go just to the left, so in the south east corner. I'm not much of a "must keep the view of the mountains" kind of guy but I think the board would look good in the south west corner between the towers.

I've heard the rumor about the north end as well but I don't think they want to take out the scrolling board so I think it'll stay on the south end.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoreUTE View Post
    If those new plans were in place I think the new board would go just to the left, so in the south east corner. I'm not much of a "must keep the view of the mountains" kind of guy but I think the board would look good in the south west corner between the towers.

I've heard the rumor about the north end as well but I don't think they want to take out the scrolling board so I think it'll stay on the south end.
    Guessing it would be in addition to the south. Those of us who sit in the south endzone can't see much of anything now, a second screen on the north end would be welcomed