Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about stadium expansion

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    I'd like to see them put in seats over in the NEZ, too many games over the years when people have packed in and it causes problems.

Speaking of the NEZ, I would love to see them paint in red and in block letter UTAH on the roof of the field house. I think that would look pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    Speaking of the NEZ, I would love to see them paint in red and in block letter UTAH on the roof of the field house. I think that would look pretty cool.
    I've always thought that would look awesome. I was talking with a friend of mine about it one day (he was president of one of the lds fraternities, he was a bro) and got told that would be the dumbest thing ever. I always joke with another friend of mine who was there about how putting UTAH on the roof is the stupidest idea imagineable

Showed the still shot of the South stands to my friend who sits next me at the games. His question, "Where's my Jumbotron?" Hopefully it would be a big screen that would go above the roof. Right? Move the south screen above the NEZ. Hopefully.
    RES South Expansion.jpg

This article about PAC-12 football stadiums has been around for awhile but it's a nice compliment to RES.

http://www.azcentral.com/php-bin/com...central.com/#1

It's also an indicator of how truly fabulous the stadium will be when it is finally expanded.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

http://1280thezone.com/index.php/aud...ll_on_the_utes

Hill gave an interview this morning (audio link above). He mentioned again that adding 8,000 seats to the south end zone would cost more than the previous expansion for the Olympics. It sounds like its tabled for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    http://1280thezone.com/index.php/aud...ll_on_the_utes

Hill gave an interview this morning (audio link above). He mentioned again that adding 8,000 seats to the south end zone would cost more than the previous expansion for the Olympics. It sounds like its tabled for the time being.
    It was never really on the table until 2014 or 2015, as a "ok, let's start fundraising". It will be an entirely separate financial campaign from the invest in athletics one going on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    It was never really on the table until 2014 or 2015, as a "ok, let's start fundraising". It will be an entirely separate financial campaign from the invest in athletics one going on now.
    My season renewal this year has a section asking for donations devoted to football facilities. I also heard rumors of a season ticket waiting list (FINALLY!). The opportunity is there, so if folks want it, it is time to start ponying up the dough.
    "You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burn out too fast. You can make the most of the distance. First, you need endurance. First, you've got to last." - Neil Pert

I have always thought they should put the bench seats closer together. This coming from someone who has season tix in the East bleachers btw. One thing that stood out to me during my trip to South Bend was that the stadium didn't look that big but that it was mostly, if not all benches and that the seats were close together.

I bet if they did this, they could add at least 500-1000 tix. If they did it only in the student section, since they all cram down anyway, they could open up the last 5-10 rows to the general public and fill the corners, which make a sold out stadium look partially empty.

Quick fixes until expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromy in SLC View Post
    My season renewal this year has a section asking for donations devoted to football facilities. I also heard rumors of a season ticket waiting list (FINALLY!). The opportunity is there, so if folks want it, it is time to start ponying up the dough.
    This is good to hear. Should one contact the ticket office for this waiting list or is there a better route? I am in the market for season tix.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    This is good to hear. Should one contact the ticket office for this waiting list or is there a better route? I am in the market for season tix.
    I've spoken to the ticket office a lot about this. May 15th is the deadline to get on the waiting list.

You don't have to "donate" to get on there, but you are ordered on the list by donation size. $1500 guarantees you some form of season tickets this year (this means you will have a chance to buy season tickets. If you ask for 6, you may not get all six together, but you will get six season tickets. It might be 4 together in one section and 2 in another).

The rep told me that they do get a fair ways down the list, and that $500 donation would get you a very good shot at getting season tickets, but to guarantee tickets, you have to donate $1500.

The donation is a one time thing, meaning that if you donate $1500 for tickets, next year you don't have to donate that again to keep the tickets.

Some seats have a required donation every year. That is in addition to the waiting list donation.

Hope that helps.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I've spoken to the ticket office a lot about this. May 15th is the deadline to get on the waiting list.

You don't have to "donate" to get on there, but you are ordered on the list by donation size. $1500 guarantees you some form of season tickets this year (this means you will have a chance to buy season tickets. If you ask for 6, you may not get all six together, but you will get six season tickets. It might be 4 together in one section and 2 in another).

The rep told me that they do get a fair ways down the list, and that $500 donation would get you a very good shot at getting season tickets, but to guarantee tickets, you have to donate $1500.

The donation is a one time thing, meaning that if you donate $1500 for tickets, next year you don't have to donate that again to keep the tickets.

Some seats have a required donation every year. That is in addition to the waiting list donation.

Hope that helps.
    A list that is not publicized is no better than no list at all for purposes of measuring demand and need for stadium. expansion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stretchiute View Post
    I have always thought they should put the bench seats closer together. This coming from someone who has season tix in the East bleachers btw. One thing that stood out to me during my trip to South Bend was that the stadium didn't look that big but that it was mostly, if not all benches and that the seats were close together.

I bet if they did this, they could add at least 500-1000 tix. If they did it only in the student section, since they all cram down anyway, they could open up the last 5-10 rows to the general public and fill the corners, which make a sold out stadium look partially empty.

Quick fixes until expansion.
    Uh... No thanks.

I am fortunate enough to sit in the seats on the lower West side with the older folks. The tickets are expensive and I'm packed in there like a sardine. I'm not overweight, but some in my section are and they "hang over" into others seats. I'm not bitchin', it's all part of the game day stadium experience, but damn... packing the seats in closer for the school to make 1000 additional seats from the existing benches seems like a shit deal for the fans.

Last edited by Devildog; 03-08-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added pic

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    A list that is not publicized is no better than no list at all for purposes of measuring demand and need for stadium. expansion.
    Publicized to whom? Why would the public need to know the details about the list inorder to measure demand? I guarantee Chris Hill is well aware of the list. I would also think he shares that info with the university president.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Publicized to whom? Why would the public need to know the details about the list inorder to measure demand? I guarantee Chris Hill is well aware of the list. I would also think he shares that info with the university president.
    I read that as meaning that the existence of the waiting list is publicized. In other words, to make it known that there is a waiting list that people should be getting on if they want tickets in the future.

When they expand they need to add more restrooms and add troughs
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I read that as meaning that the existence of the waiting list is publicized. In other words, to make it known that there is a waiting list that people should be getting on if they want tickets in the future.
    Hmm. I'm not sure the knowledge of the existence of a list would generate more interest from the public. If someone is interested, they'll call or log on and find out the options. And anyone with basic internet skills can find out about the waiting process.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by big z View Post
    When they expand they need to add more restrooms and add troughs
    Troughs are against the building code

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Troughs are against the building code

Interesting

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

Unfortunately there's no news regarding our own stadium expansion, but I saw this in the news and thought I'd share:

A&M is spending $450 million to expand Kyle Field to 102,000.
    www.kylefield.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Unfortunately there's no news regarding our own stadium expansion, but I saw this in the news and thought I'd share:

A&M is spending $450 million to expand Kyle Field to 102,000.
    www.kylefield.com
    I'm sure I'm a boob, but I'd rather watch the game at home on TV than watch it from half of those seats.
    Last edited by FountainOfUte; 05-02-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    I'm sure I'm a boob, but I'd rather watch the game at home on TV than watch it from half of those seats.
    I'll call you, "a boob", but I entered the HD world last December, and I'd have to agree with you. Sporting events are Amazing in HD.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...s-Stadium.html

From the Deseret News. There are also articles about basketball and other facilities I'll post there

When i received my season ticket notice in January I called my rep to see about getting two additional seats somewhere in the north endzone so that my kids would be able to go to games when they are in town. I was told I could jump to the head of the line by paying a one time $1,500.00 donation or that I could just take my chances based on my CC level. I said I would take my chances and low and behold I now have 2 tickets in N25 near the top. I post this here because it appears to me that the demand for tickets is not as high as it might have been for a couple of years and that the renewal rate might have gone down a bit. As a result, although I have always been on the cautious side of things when it comes to expansion, this makes me even more so.

I think the renewal rate for season tickets was around 98% again this year. Doesn't sound like demand has dropped off even with the tough season. Luckily I was able to move a couple of rows closer this year.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    I know there are many reasons for a drop off in renewals such as economy, winning/losing and so on, but because of the high demand and rareness of season tickets I wonder how many people have given up or don't even try. I think expansion needs to happen but in small steps. Start by filling in the south end then give it a few years to see if more expansion needs to happen or raise ticket prices.

I tried to move to the West side of the stadium and could have done so, but only for much worse seats. I tried to get two more seats (we have 2) but no dice there either. FWIW.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    I wonder how many people have given up or don't even try.
    This would be me. I've just kind of written off season tickets until they expand. The CC level or other fees that get you in a spot to get them aren't nearly worth it for me. My only shot at getting them is for expansion or for our football program to tank for a while. I'm really hoping it ends up being the former.

fully enclosing the NEZ would make it even louder and at least add a few thousand seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    Showed the still shot of the South stands to my friend who sits next me at the games. His question, "Where's my Jumbotron?" Hopefully it would be a big screen that would go above the roof. Right? Move the south screen above the NEZ. Hopefully.
    RES South Expansion.jpg
    So Chris Hill says we could see this in the next 2-5 years. I'd love to see the south end done by the 2015 season. That would be awesome hosting Michigan on their first Thursday night game, with a newly remodeled RES.
    http://kutv.com/sports/features/talk.../vid_762.shtml

Season ticket renewal is at 98% for the third straight season. Time to build it Dr. Hill
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide