Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Washington OC Jonathan Smith to Oregon State. Uninspiring choice, but, I know nothing about the guy so we'll see I guess......Hoping it doesn't go the way of Kalani Sitake for OSU. I've not bought into the theory that its necessary to hire someone closely "connected" with the university.

http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/in..._jonathan.html
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.
    Yeah, the day he resigned (and turned down the $$$$$) I knew that the U was a likely landing spot for him. I mean, he's had success and apparently is a good recruiter. Plus he needs a job after turning down all that cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, the day he resigned (and turned down the $$$$$) I knew that the U was a likely landing spot for him. I mean, he's had success and apparently is a good recruiter. Plus he needs a job after turning down all that cash!
    At least until the USU job opens up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I've not bought into the theory that its necessary to hire someone closely "connected" with the university.
    We at Utah know better. We've had success with McBride, Meyer, and Majerus.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    ASU AD was also Herm Edwards's agent.

And the assistant AD was also his agent at another time frame. At least they are doing well representing Herm.

We shall see if the same can be said for the Sun Devils.

And it looks as though The Pirate of the Palouse will move his comedy show (and record-breaking Offense) to Knoxville.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    And it looks as though The Pirate of the Palouse will move his comedy show (and record-breaking Offense) to Knoxville.
    I love that guy. It will be interesting to see what he can do with “SEC speed.”

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Volnation is in bad shape here in Knoxville. They feel like an awkward 15 year old who keeps getting turned down for prom dates. And, a lot of people are mad that Miles wasn't target #1.

With the recruits that TN gets year in and year out, I'm excited to see what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I love that guy. It will be interesting to see what he can do with “SEC speed.”
    If I saw a teaser headline about a coaching scandal in the Pac-12, my mind would instantly go to Leach. He always seems a little creepy to me. He tries to joke about everything (hit or miss), he has a weird pirate fetish, and he locked a dude in an equipment shed in the west Texas desert as a form of punishment.

Anyway, I hope he goes. WSU has started stealing recruits from Utah in recent years.

Knoxville is not an upgrade over many college towns, but it probably is an upgrade over Pullman. I have no idea how things would go there. Even though he's turned two programs around, he doesn't feel like a sure thing.

The Pac-12 North was going to be interesting with UW, Oregon, WSU, and Stanford. No way a division can sustain four good teams for an extended time.

I've seen people recommend that WSU promote their DC. I think they are giving this guy too much credit. I watched WSU 3 times this season, and I think Hercules is 90% of that defense. He's a total wrecking ball and a once-in-a-generation type player for WSU. If they want to keep the ball rolling, they should replace Leach with another Air Raider.

And now Tennessee has fired their AD. This is getting to be hilarious at this point.

They have a losing streak against every team in the SEC, including two in a row to Vanderbilt. The coaching search has been an embarrassment, and they are bleeding money on top of beginning a $340M stadium renovation.

One of the big problems appears to be the control exerted by a big booster, who happens to own the Cleveland Browns. We all know what a marvellous job he does managing that team. I believe the Browns now have two wins since they drafted Johnny Manziel...

And now Tennessee has fired their AD. This is getting to be hilarious at this point.
    So...not Mike Leach. Bummer.

Twitter says Phil Fullmer has been sabotaging the process in order to become the new AD.

Crazy thing is...Tennessee could still return to glory within a few years if it gets lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

I've seen people recommend that WSU promote their DC. I think they are giving this guy too much credit. I watched WSU 3 times this season, and I think Hercules is 90% of that defense. He's a total wrecking ball and a once-in-a-generation type player for WSU. If they want to keep the ball rolling, they should replace Leach with another Air Raider.
    Take a look at the stats. Wazzu is #15 in total defense, top 20 in interceptions, sacks, and defensive TDs; top 10 in turnovers gained, TFL, fumble recoveries, passing yards allowed, and 1st down defense; #1 in 3rd down defense, etc.

Their Defense was very good this year overall, and not just due to Mata'afa. The entire defense was extremely disruptive.

Take a look at the stats. Wazzu is #15 in total defense, top 20 in interceptions, sacks, and defensive TDs; top 10 in turnovers gained, TFL, fumble recoveries, passing yards allowed, and 1st down defense; #1 in 3rd down defense, etc.

Their Defense was very good this year overall, and not just due to Mata'afa. The entire defense was extremely disruptive.
    I know the defense is good. I just don't think it's top 25 in anything without Hercules. I think he's that good. The secondary in particular really has a hard time whenever Herc doesn't get pressure on the QB (which is not often).

So, I guess it's official. Jimbo moves from FSU to A&M. Crazy.

Now, we get to see if Taggart is an FSU target.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Pac-12 is holding their breath, hoping ASU makes the Herm Edwards hire before they come to their senses.

BYU insiders just put lines through the names Taggart and Jumbo Fisher on BYU's next OC list

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I'm not obsessed with Oregon State, but, did anyone else catch the press conference/Q&A on Jonathan Smith yesterday? I don't know, but I've got a baaaaaaad feeling this isn't gonna go well for the Beavs. Deers & headlights come to mind.

I'm not obsessed with Oregon State, but, did anyone else catch the press conference/Q&A on Jonathan Smith yesterday? I don't know, but I've got a baaaaaaad feeling this isn't gonna go well for the Beavs. Deers & headlights come to mind.
    I didn't see it, but, really, who is OSU going to get that would turn that program around?

I didn't see it, but, really, who is OSU going to get that would turn that program around?

Great question. Personally, I'd go after Bronco with everything I had. The guy can coach.

Great question. Personally, I'd go after Bronco with everything I had. The guy can coach.
    Maybe, but that would be a downward move for him, right? In the ACC, you can rack up 6 wins and go bowling every year. In the Pac-12 north, he'd go against Stanford, Oregon, UW, Cal, and WSU every year. Plus, how do you convince someone living in C-ville to pack it up for Corvallis?

The internet is claiming that Willie Taggart is leaving Oregon for Florida State. Seems like good news. Now the Ducks need to hire Chip Kelly away from UCLA!

hoping ASU makes the Herm Edwards hire before they come to their senses.
    It happened!

It happened!
    IT did happen. The next question is, WTF is “IT?!”

They have a losing streak against every team in the SEC, including two in a row to Vanderbilt.
    This is why college football needs an equivalent of soccer's promotion/demotion between P5/G5

Meanwhile, the rest of the Pac-12 is holding their breath, hoping ASU makes the Herm Edwards hire before they come to their senses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    IT did happen. The next question is, WTF is “IT?!”

WTF kind of release is this?

This sounds more like a series 2 or 3 round of funding for a startup kind of PR than a college football PR.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    WTF kind of release is this?

This sounds more like a series 2 or 3 round of funding for a startup kind of PR than a college football PR.

if I had the first name "Herman", I'd probably go with Herm as well. Rolls of the tongue

Today Herm learned what ASU's mascot is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Today Herm learned what ASU's mascot is.

I don't always like or agree with Jon Wilner, but this article is excellent.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/0...he-right-play/