Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Lya reporting via Twitter that Weber State has hired Jay Hill to be their next head coach. How big of an impact does this have on the Utah program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear he is a very good recruiter.

Lya reporting via Twitter that Weber State has hired Jay Hill to be their next head coach. How big of an impact does this have on the Utah program?

He's been our best recruiter for the best couple of years. Almost all of our solid recruits this cycle are "Hill" recruits, so we had better lock those guys in. I'm not worried about Jackson Barton, but I am worried about Kenyon Frison. He's getting looks from top Pac-12 schools. We need to keep him or this class looks really bad,

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    He's been our best recruiter for the best couple of years. Almost all of our solid recruits this cycle are "Hill" recruits, so we had better lock those guys in. I'm not worried about Jackson Barton, but I am worried about Kenyon Frison. He's getting looks from top Pac-12 schools. We need to keep him or this class looks really bad,
    Plus, our special teams have been very good. Our kick returns are what kept us in games last year. Our punts kept us in many this year. Phillips has been great (just wish he could get it in the end zone on kickoffs).

We gave up some big returns to the guys who get big returns against everyone - DAT and Monty.

Jay will do a great job at Weber if he is given the resources to be successful and is not required to play more than 1 money game a year. The key to winning at Weber is to do a great job recruiting the State of Utah and then add some skill players from other places. You should really be able to get most of your QB's, linemen, linebackers, TE's and safeties from Utah and then look elsewhere for CB's, RB's and WR's. Jay certainly knows Utah and Nevada recruiting and will do well. I would look for him to hire some current Utah GA's and maybe a couple of former GA's as well. Weber does not have a very large budget, so I wouldn't expect any other employed coaches to join him.

The biggest impact would probably be felt on special teams. From the comments Whittingham has made in the past, a lot of the creative fakes/onsides kicks have been based on the research Hill did on the opposition to find tendencies and weaknesses.

The only other impact would be he is the primary recruiter on Bingham's Shultz. But, given the fact he is local and he is also being recruited by Notre Dame and Stanford, it is hard to gauge the impact this makes.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The only other impact would be he is the primary recruiter on Bingham's Shultz. But, given the fact he is local and he is also being recruited by Notre Dame and Stanford, it is hard to gauge the impact this makes.
    Does anyone believe that Shultz is not going to Stanford?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Jay will do a great job at Weber if he is given the resources to be successful and is not required to play more than 1 money game a year. The key to winning at Weber is to do a great job recruiting the State of Utah and then add some skill players from other places. You should really be able to get most of your QB's, linemen, linebackers, TE's and safeties from Utah and then look elsewhere for CB's, RB's and WR's. Jay certainly knows Utah and Nevada recruiting and will do well. I would look for him to hire some current Utah GA's and maybe a couple of former GA's as well. Weber does not have a very large budget, so I wouldn't expect any other employed coaches to join him.
    To this end, unless Weber found an infusion of cash, Hill is taking a pay cut.

Sears made about $75,000 less than Hill last year. Sears salary was comparable to Utah's most junior assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    To this end, unless Weber found an infusion of cash, Hill is taking a pay cut.

Sears made about $75,000 less than Hill last year. Sears salary was comparable to Utah's most junior assistant.
    Assuming he took a cut, maybe this change was a "recommendation" by Kyle to Jay. If so, I gotta say that Kyle is pretty kind to his assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Assuming he took a cut, maybe this change was a "recommendation" by Kyle to Jay. If so, I gotta say that Kyle is pretty kind to his assistants.
    Why would Whittingham want to get rid of Hill? He's one of our best recruiters and has done a good job with the special teams.

Why would Whittingham want to get rid of Hill? He's one of our best recruiters and has done a good job with the special teams.
    ??? I am just speculating as to reasons why Hill would leave for less pay, besides the shot a a head job.

Is Dan Finn and BJ still on staff? Maybe Jay can take them with him to Weber.

Hill was not asked to leave. Finn and BJ are still on the staff. Finn could find a lot of jobs. I doubt BJ could find many.

He would be crazy not to.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    ??? I am just speculating as to reasons why Hill would leave for less pay, besides the shot a a head job.
    I believe that is the primary reason.

If David Shaw gets an NFL job, then I could see him not going there.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    He would be crazy not to.
    No. There may be some reasons to go there over Utah, but Utah offers plenty that the Cardinals can't match. Keeping his soul, for example.

I can't imagine it happens very often that someone gets their first college coaching gig (FBS or otherwise) without ever having been a coordinator. Nice job, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    I can't imagine it happens very often that someone gets their first college coaching gig (FBS or otherwise) without ever having been a coordinator. Nice job, Jay.
    No it does not. Either way the Kyle Whittingham coaching tree expands a little bit more.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    Exactly. Can you imagine Kyle's replacement having the kind of resume Hill does? We'd revolt.

Re: the pay. I'm embarrassed sometimes for some of my media brethren. Steve Luhm at the Trib surmised on Twitter that Hill was in for a nice bump in pay from his $225K at Utah. Mike Kramer at ISU, who had won big at Montana State (but who did carry some baggage), can max out at ISU for just $216K. Ron McBride's initial deal at Weber gave him a base of around $120K, and I can guarantee you his incentives and media deal did not get him significantly over $200K, if at all. Like Diehard said, Hill is taking a sizable paycut, but he's doing so because he wants to be this generation's Mike Price -- a guy who started out at Weber and later led Wazzu to two Rose Bowls.

Mack brown out at Texas. That will open a whole new coach poach avalanche.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Mack brown out at Texas. That will open a whole new coach poach avalanche.
    Keep it in-state, pay no attention to his record the last two years and go get Gary Patterson at TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Keep it in-state, pay no attention to his record the last two years and go get Gary Patterson at TCU.
    Makes sense, but I wouldn't argue against Gus Malzahn either.

Jim Mora to Texas twitter rumors heating up.

Makes sense, but I wouldn't argue against Gus Malzahn either.
    His wife is a strange duck. She can pass for high society in a backwater like Auburn, not so sure about Austin. That stuff matters there, but she's managed to keep her mouth shut the last year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Hill was not asked to leave. Finn and BJ are still on the staff. Finn could find a lot of jobs. I doubt BJ could find many.
    Ha. I still don't understand your love for Finn. He wouldn't be able to find many jobs at all. Both he seasons at Utah consisted of awful o line play. His only other experience is at Sdsu for 1 year. I am sure that wouldn't result in many schools banging down his door.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN25m
    Texas coach odds: Strong 2/1, Briles 9/2, Franklin 5/1, Gundy 7/1, O'Brien 15/2; Kelly, Shaw, Mora 10/1 via @BovadaLV

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN25m
    Texas coach odds: Strong 2/1, Briles 9/2, Franklin 5/1, Gundy 7/1, O'Brien 15/2; Kelly, Shaw, Mora 10/1 via @BovadaLV
    Okay, who are Strong, Briles, Franklin and O'Brien? Gundy? You've got to be kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Okay, who are Strong, Briles, Franklin and O'Brien? Gundy? You've got to be kidding.
    Louisville, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Oklahoma State

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Louisville, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Penn State, Oklahoma State
    Is that Charlie Strong? The guy that coached at Miami?