Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

So it looks like Sark at Washington will be heading to USC. Also Wyoming fired their head coach, maybe they can bring back Joe Glen - "powder river let'r buck!"

This Sark hiring could make the coaching carousel in the Pac-12 very interesting. Back when Jim Mora Jr was the head coach of the Falcons he said on a radio interview that his dream job was coaching the University of Washington and that he would leave Atlanta, even in the middle of a playoff run, if offered the job.

Mora has done a fantastic job with UCLA. Washington is stupid if they don't at least give Mora a call.

With Orgeron quitting so quickly, it isn't a stretch to think their is some bad blood with USC. Any Pac-12 school would be smart to snatch him up as an assistant to coach to help him enact some revenge on USC.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    With Orgeron quitting so quickly, it isn't a stretch to think their is some bad blood with USC. Any Pac-12 school would be smart to snatch him up as an assistant to coach to help him enact some revenge on USC.
    I think Orgeron wants to be a head coach. Some small school will give him a shot. He just quit at USC and will not coach them in their bowl game. I don't think that's the kind of guy you want on your team. He seems to run mostly on emotion.

I'd be surprised if Mora goes to UW. I think they should promote DC Justin Wilcox.

I think Sark will be good at USC. He seemed to be a better candidate than other names I was hearing - Franklin, Orgeron, Del Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think Sark will be good at USC. He seemed to be a better candidate than other names I was hearing - Franklin, Orgeron, Del Rio.
    Sorry, but I have no idea how you could say Sark would be better than Franklin. Franklin has done more with much less at Vandy than Sark at UW.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Sorry, but I have no idea how you could say Sark would be better than Franklin. Franklin has done more with much less at Vandy than Sark at UW.
    I don't know. Franklin has not finished above 4th in the SEC east. He's 11-13 in conference games. He is 12-0 in OOC games against typical pathetic SEC OOC schedules. His best OOC win is either Wake or NCState. His best win while at Vandy is this year's Georgia team. Sark has similar records in recent years against much tougher competition. Consider the familiarity with SoCal and USC a tiebreaker between the two.

I'm not saying Sark is Saban, but given the underwhelming list of available coaches this year, UW did alright.

Sark to USC confuses me. I can see why Sark would want it, but I don't see why USC wants him. It seems like an underwhelming hire to me. Is there something on his resume that I'm not seeing?

Given the amount of talent that is attracted to the USC name, he'll probably do pretty well. But I don't see him taking them back to elite status. Especially with the rising programs in the south division (sadly, I'm talking about UCLA and the AZ schools).

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Sark to USC confuses me. I can see why Sark would want it, but I don't see why USC wants him. It seems like an underwhelming hire to me. Is there something on his resume that I'm not seeing?

Given the amount of talent that is attracted to the USC name, he'll probably do pretty well. But I don't see him taking them back to elite status. Especially with the rising programs in the south division (sadly, I'm talking about UCLA and the AZ schools).
    Well, who would you want if you were a USC fan? Doesn't seem like any real candidates were slam dunks.

Well, who would you want if you were a USC fan? Doesn't seem like any real candidates were slam dunks.
    Guess it is bad timing for USC, he was the best option available at the time. But from everything I have read (in the last 5 minutes of perusing the web), most USC fans are also underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    It seems like Sark may be a placeholder coach until the full impact of the sanctions is over- a few years of recruiting with a restored allotment of schollies. I will be interested to see how many years he gets in his contract.

Washington was coming off an 0-12 season when it hired Sark.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 12-03-2013 at 08:30 AM.

I think Orgeron wants to be a head coach. Some small school will give him a shot. He just quit at USC and will not coach them in their bowl game. I don't think that's the kind of guy you want on your team. He seems to run mostly on emotion.

I'd be surprised if Mora goes to UW. I think they should promote DC Justin Wilcox.

I would not be surprised at all to see Orgeron end up at Wyoming.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Washington was coming off an 0-12 season when it hired Sark.
    And Vandy was coming off back-to-back 2-10 seasons. And Vandy was Vandy. I don't see any way to argue that Franklin stepped into a situation where it would be easier to win.

And Vandy was coming off back-to-back 2-10 seasons. And Vandy was Vandy. I don't see any way to argue that Franklin stepped into a situation where it would be easier to win.
    They both took teams in a bad spot and raised them to the middle of tough conferences. I think either one would be fine. But Sark has USC/SoCal ties.

They both took teams in a bad spot and raised them to the middle of tough conferences. I think either one would be fine. But Sark has USC/SoCal ties.
    Except the team Sark did it with is arguably the #2 team in the P12 in terms of history and "potential" (and if they're not #2 they're close to #2), while Franklin did it with either the traditionally worst or close to the worst SEC team (only Mississippi State has a worse all-time record, and it's very close).

Except the team Sark did it with is arguably the #2 team in the P12 in terms of history and "potential" (and if they're not #2 they're close to #2), while Franklin did it with either the traditionally worst or close to the worst SEC team (only Mississippi State has a worse all-time record, and it's very close).
    But this aint your grandpa's Pac-12 and SEC. UW has won a lot, but for decades the Pac-10 was really just the Pac-2. With a 14 team conference, the SEC is easier to win in now than any time in recent history.

Again, take a look at schedules and records. Franklin has finished no higher than 4th in his division. He has not recorded a win over anything close to a top 25 team. His best win in 3 years is against this year's struggling UGa team.

Both coaches have been bringing in good recruiting classes, but Sark's outrank Franklin's, and Sark does not get the inflated star rankings of SEC country.

I do think Franklin will be somewhere else in a few years (UCLA if Mora leaves), but if he isn't, he will continue to finish 4-7 in his division for the foreseeable future.

Some coaching stuff:

Mora stays at UCLA. Hundley likely to stay now too.

Nussmeier apparently the frontrunner at UW over Peterson and Wilcox.

Matt Wells of USU is considering the Wake Forest job. Good move to cash in on USU's success. Who knows if they'll ever compete for a division title again?

Some coaching stuff:

Matt Wells of USU is considering the Wake Forest job. Good move to cash in on USU's success. Who knows if they'll ever compete for a division title again?
    I wonder if that would then send Sitake to USU.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Some coaching stuff:

Wake seems like a dead end job. But, since their last coach lasted 13 years before resigning, maybe its a long-term dead end job.

Some coaching stuff:

I continue to wonder why people consider Chris Peterson as a legit option. Sure as an AD you float the question to him, but do we really think he passes on some of the offers he's had to end up in Washington?

Boise St must have some incriminating pictures of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Wake seems like a dead end job. But, since their last coach lasted 13 years before resigning, maybe its a long-term dead end job.
    A long-term, dead end job for more money in a beautiful location where the pulled pork is second to none vs Logan? Not a tough call, and I like Logan.

Yeah Sitake would be the next man up to try to use USU as a springboard to something bigger.

I continue to wonder why people consider Chris Peterson as a legit option. Sure as an AD you float the question to him, but do we really think he passes on some of the offers he's had to end up in Washington?
    Situations change. The last time someone really made an effort to get Peterson, he was on top of the BCS busting world, one FG away from winning the national championship.

Yeah Sitake would be the next man up to try to use USU as a springboard to something bigger.
    That has to be absolutely frustrating for a program and fan base. Which is why I assume AD's love hiring alumni as coaches, hoping that they are more willing to stick around. I love having USU as a competive team in the state. I hope that Wells sticks around but understand that sometimes the money is just too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I love having USU as a competive team in the state. I hope that Wells sticks around but understand that sometimes the money is just too good.
    I hear this a lot, but I don't really share the sentiment. I always liked rooting for USU when they stunk. I like them to be bad, and I hope they are bad again soon.

Not just the money - Wake is a better job in a lot of ways to USU. It is also a tougher job. It's either the 1st or 2nd smallest school in the FBS, right? (Tulsa being the other?)

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Wake has had four coaches since 1981, despite going 158-221-2 in that time. By comparison, Utah has had six coaches and has gone 229-149-2.

That said, Wake can lay claim to arguably the second-most famous real-life Hollywood football icon ever.
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 12-04-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Situations change. The last time someone really made an effort to get Peterson, he was on top of the BCS busting world, one FG away from winning the national championship.
    Yeah but pass on USC for Washington? USC may have a slightly more fickle fanbase but Washington fans are expecting championships too. Other than high expectations (which most successful people don't really shy away from) I would think USC would be the better job all around.

Interestingly I had heard murmuring that while Sark had gotten them from being bottom dwellers he was soon to be on the hot seat.

Point being, I think and Peterson has indicated a number of times now that he is going to stay in his kingdom in Boise St where he'll remain royalty the rest of his days... or until he has to fake a heart attack and leave town overnight where he then becomes an ESPN analyst, the USC football coach for a day, an ESPN analyst who espouses that he isn't a 'Big Gay Guy', and eventually the football coach for the St Louis Billikens.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Yeah but pass on USC for Washington? USC may have a slightly more fickle fanbase but Washington fans are expecting championships too. Other than high expectations (which most successful people don't really shy away from) I would think USC would be the better job all around.

Interestingly I had heard murmuring that while Sark had gotten them from being bottom dwellers he was soon to be on the hot seat.

Point being, I think and Peterson has indicated a number of times now that he is going to stay in his kingdom in Boise St where he'll remain royalty the rest of his days... or until he has to fake a heart attack and leave town overnight where he then becomes an ESPN analyst, the USC football coach for a day, an ESPN analyst who espouses that he isn't a 'Big Gay Guy', and eventually the football coach for the St Louis Billikens.
    Last Saturday marked one year since Big Rick's death. I feel like a lesser fan for not remembering this until you brought Rick's crowning moment in broadcasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

I don't think Peterson passed on USC; he didn't get the offer and was allowed to withdraw his name. I bet he would have taken it, and I bet he would have taken the Oregon job if offered when Kelly left. I bet he would take the UW job, but its play money.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Last Saturday marked one year since Big Rick's death. I feel like a lesser fan for not remembering this until you brought Rick's crowning moment in broadcasting.
    I had thought it was close to this time, mostly because it preceded the Boise St game last year (and was I think the boost that got us past them convincingly). I love Big Rick jokes, but I've got to say I miss him prowling the sidelines. Over the summer I was chatting with someone whose spouse worked for Rick. He had nothing but glowing things to say about him, including Rick being the first person to the hospital when his wife was ill to Rick getting him his current job when he had lost his by putting his neck out on the line for him and basically demanding that the employer hire him.

He was a flawed person, like us all I guess, but he certainly took good care of the people he cared about.

This conversation lead to some funny/disturbing Giac stories, but that is for another time.

Chris Petersen interviews with UW tomorrow, according to pretty much everyone on Twitter. This would be interesting. I really like Petersen and want him to be successful if/when he makes a change. On the other hand, I have no love for UW.

Edit: Man, realignment really screwed up college football. I'm glad we got into a good conference before the ship went down, but overall, we have a worse product after all the money grabbing.
    Last edited by sancho; 12-05-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Sounds like Peterson to UW is a done deal.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I understand Peterson is from the Northwest, so maybe that's why he's so interested in the UW job.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell