Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 390 of 513

Thread: Off with their headsets! - Coaching hirings and firings

  1. #361
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Why do you suppose Mullen hired BJ rather than promote Elliott?
    Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

  2. #362
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

    That situation seems almost as fun as ours. BJ and Billy Gonzalez to be Co OCs, with Mullen calling the plays.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  3. #363
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Because Mullen ain't Kyle Whittingham? GA to OC is a massive jump. Additionally, there are rules and contracts for GA coaches, high among them completing a graduate program at the school.

    BJ isnt the OC--Billy Gonzalez is (along with Hevesy). BJ is the QB coach. BJ made that jump, so did Jordan Wynn.

  4. #364
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,388

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  5. #365
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    BJ isnt the OC--Billy Gonzalez is (along with Hevesy). BJ is the QB coach. BJ made that jump, so did Jordan Wynn.
    Then the second sentence potentially applies. Ratliff possibly hasn't completed his graduate courseload and cannot be promoted as a result.

  6. #366
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Football Scoop as retweeted by Dan Sorensen: Taylor Stubblefield a leading candidate for the WR job at Utah. He accepted the same position for Eastern Michigan last week. http://www.wakeforestsports.com/spor...ld_843222.html
    Hey, you cannot go wrong with a coach who is not afraid to wear a bowtie.

    Stubblefield.jpg

  7. #367
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Leaving now is good for Brian if he ever hoped to advance his career at Utah. He could never be considered for a job here if he went down with a sinking ship this year or next. It's good for Utah now in that it is a sign Kyle is truly handing over the offense to DC.

  8. #368
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Leaving now is good for Brian if he ever hoped to advance his career at Utah. He could never be considered for a job here if he went down with a sinking ship this year or next. It's good for Utah now in that it is a sign Kyle is truly handing over the offense to DC.
    He should always have been in a situation where he had an offensive mentor like Mullen (Dennis Erickson notwithstanding). He should never have been OC for a defensive HC. This should be a great move for him.

  9. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    He should always have been in a situation where he had an offensive mentor like Mullen (Dennis Erickson notwithstanding). He should never have been OC for a defensive HC. This should be a great move for him.
    This is bullshit. I agree with Ted Miller. Had Wynn and Wilson stayed healthy BJ would be a GOD around here.

  10. #370
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    This is bullshit. I agree with Ted Miller. Had Wynn and Wilson stayed healthy BJ would be a GOD around here.
    You're right.. He was a brilliant coordinator in command of the offense without the need for any mentoring from anyone, done in by unfortunate injuries alone, and Wittingham was too stupid to recognize it and give him another chance.
    Last edited by concerned; 02-11-2014 at 09:30 PM.

  11. #371
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That was my understanding. At the least, the game plan was a group effort.

    Game plan is always a group effort. I was told that BJ became more involved in calling plays after Stanford and that it increased as the year went on.

  12. #372
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Then the second sentence potentially applies. Ratliff possibly hasn't completed his graduate courseload and cannot be promoted as a result.
    A graduate assistant does not have to obtain his graduate degree in order to be hired as a coach. He simply needs to be enrolled in graduate school to be a graduate assistant.

  13. #373
    Who will be on the hot seat in the PAC-12 this year? Mora? Rodriguez? Helfrich? Fans bases and media for each seem to be turning on them a bit.

    Anderson and Shaw are having crappy seasons. But Anderson is still in rebuild mode, and Shaw probably has enough goodwill to survey. Helton seems to have the Trojans improving, and Dykes is winning just enough and in exciting fashion at home, to keep fans happy. Graham is in abut of a gray area.

    Peterson, Whittingham, Mcintyre, and Leach are all solid now, with their teams on the rise and outperforming expectations.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  14. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Who will be on the hot seat in the PAC-12 this year? Mora? Rodriguez? Helfrich? Fans bases and media for each seem to be turning on them a bit.

    Anderson and Shaw are having crappy seasons. But Anderson is still in rebuild mode, and Shaw probably has enough goodwill to survey. Helton seems to have the Trojans improving, and Dykes is winning just enough and in exciting fashion at home, to keep fans happy. Graham is in abut of a gray area.

    Peterson, Whittingham, Mcintyre, and Leach are all solid now, with their teams on the rise and outperforming expectations.
    I think Mora has enough goodwill to survive this year. But he has to win 8 or more next year.

    I've heard Helfrich is safe, but that was 3 weeks ago. Not a lot of wins left on the Ducks' schedule. If they pull an 0-fer in league play, how do you not fire him?

  15. #375
    Helfrich has a $11M buyout this year. He isn't going anywhere unless a lot of wealthy people pony up.

  16. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Helfrich has a $11M buyout this year. He isn't going anywhere unless a lot of wealthy people pony up.
    So in other words it probably comes down to whether Phil Knight wants him back.

  17. #377
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Tough spot for Oregon. If they fire Helfrich, aren't they really firing the whole Win The Day system that Belotti and Kelley started? They would have to hire an Oregon outsider.

    How is Scott Frost doing in Florida?

  18. #378
    Handsome Boy Graduate mpfunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Tough spot for Oregon. If they fire Helfrich, aren't they really firing the whole Win The Day system that Belotti and Kelley started? They would have to hire an Oregon outsider.
    What makes you think that they won't end up with Chip Kelly again? I really think he ends up back at Oregon either this year or they hold off one more year. Uncle Phil will make that happen. At least for the sake of our good friend HFN, I hope he makes it happen.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

  19. #379
    Sark to Atlanta Falcons as OC. Strong rumors of Chip Kelley to Bama as OC.

    The rich get significantly richer.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  20. #380
    Why would Kelly go be an OC? I'd think he'd have any job he wants next November.

  21. #381
    I guess this is a good thing. Especially if he was as good of a recruiter as they say.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #382
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  23. #383
    I just realized that a better thread title for this would be "Off With the Headsets!"

    Anyway, a bit more insight into the Gary Anderson exit.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...s_exit_ro.html

  24. #384
    ASU to hire Herm Edwards.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  25. #385
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    ASU to hire Herm Edwards.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    UCLA hits a tater with its choice. ASU fouls off a strike three bunt.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  26. #386

  27. #387
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Man, you could have at least given the local guys the credit

    http://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-ut...in-utes-staff/


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  28. #388
    It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.

  29. #389
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,763
    ASU AD was also Herm Edwards's agent.


  30. #390
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    It apparently is widely known/assumed within the athletic dept. that ga is joining the team.
    This will be interesting to watch. Gary has a lot of great qualities as a recruiter and a coach. I don't know how well he and Morgan get along.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •